Currency Exchange booths ripping ppl off in high season..

Huayrat

Lots of currency boths are private concerns and thats how they make money, the difference between the bank rate and their rate.  There can be a difference in rates between different booths. The official rate, the bank rate and the booth rate can be 3 different rates. Even with the banks currently closed they can be changing rates dependant on other factors, its basically driven by demand.

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

This is probably a bank holiday premium which is quite normal world over in case something unpredictable happens the following day. 

There is no ripoff here.

I've often noticed that towards the end of most working weeks (ie Thursday and Friday) the exchanges modify their rates slightly in their favour. Obviously, this is simply in their best business interests and something that should be foreseen. I presume that this same effect is magnified at long holiday weekends - after all Jan 1st 2018 falling on a Monday is just that.

If you let yourself run low on cash knowing this happens, you pay the (somewhat minimal) price - simple.

If totally unforeseen circumstances require you to change cash at the worse rate, just change the absolute minimum you need and return to the exchange on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Edited by VBF

I change money quite regularly (euros).  The booths run by banks are lower than private ones and they can differ too.  If you are changing a good sum, it can make quite a difference.  There is a private on Thae Phae Road, the euro is at 38.80, on Loh Kroh 38.81.  

On 50 or even 100, it doesn't give you ONE baht more.

So OP go to a private booth.

Hi All, For ten years now coming to thailand, Have always noticed the exchange kiosks at arrivals at suwannaboomi airport are Always 1-1.5 baht lower than the bank exchange rate, Better to go to the Basement where you will get much better rates from the kiosks  than even the Banks give you, Happy New Year.

Years ago, I ran out of baht after midnight.  I needed to take a taxi to where I was staying, out towards the only airport in Bangkok, Don Mueang (tells you how long ago this happened). 

The only place I could find to exchange dollars to baht was a hotel.  They gave me 5 baht less, per dollar, than I could get at the money exchange I liked to use.  

That was a ripoff.  My fault though.  

10 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

International exchange rates change approx every 30 minutes,was advised by Macquarie forex in OZ couple of years ago whilst making enquiries about sending money os.

They can change every few seconds....

3 hours ago, SteveMack said:

Hi All, For ten years now coming to thailand, Have always noticed the exchange kiosks at arrivals at suwannaboomi airport are Always 1-1.5 baht lower than the bank exchange rate, Better to go to the Basement where you will get much better rates from the kiosks  than even the Banks give you, Happy New Year.

...and the rest.  Suvarnabhumi banks were offering 41.30 yesterday....at least 2 Baht lower than FX booths.

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

There is a bigger spread on buying and selling Sterling than

other currencies ,in Banks,they will say because of Brexit 

that the Pound is more volatile.

regards worgeordie

Really?

I very much doubt that Thai Bank staff have ever heard of Brexit.

Currency Rates don't drop anywhere in the world on a weekend so it is indeed a rip off..  They on average always offer 0.25 less than the XE rate.. They are now offering 0.7 which is a con and to all you ppl commenting saying it isn't much. Well it isn't for you small fish who are scraping the barrel but it is for us big players

45 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

International exchange rates change approx every 30 minutes,was advised by Macquarie forex in OZ couple of years ago whilst making enquiries about sending money os.

Not on a weekend they dont

30 minutes ago, Huayrat said:

Currency Rates don't drop anywhere in the world on a weekend so it is indeed a rip off..  They on average always offer 0.25 less than the XE rate.. They are now offering 0.7 which is a con and to all you ppl commenting saying it isn't much. Well it isn't for you small fish who are scraping the barrel but it is for us big players

Big players trade at currency booths ????

Edited by Peterw42

The Banks Exchange rates are always hedged over public holidays which makes sense as they are stuck

with your currency until about 10am  on the day banks trade again.

If you are really a grizzle gutz & complaining about less than a 1% hedge for the great service they offer, get off your arse & do some  forward planning