bin man - most discusting job in thailand

pumpjack

just witnessing the refuse / bin lorry going down a street in thailand,  the guys on the back hoking and scavaging through many bags full of used condoms , rats & rat shit , human shit and lots of it as people are expected to put their toilet paper into a plastic bin . 

do these guys have a high life expectancy ,  there obviously many dangers in this work including being infected with used needles and bacteria for the waste .

they need a medal,   i kind of feel sorry for them to have to do this . 

4 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Hey PJ, how long have you been here ...you never seen them before ...

does   time being here or observance of local goings on   deplete the ops   post of related dangers of such a job ??

discusting

8 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

does   time being here or observance of local goings on   deplete the ops   post of related dangers of such a job ??

PJ's topics are 'interesting', in case you hadn't noticed ... still it's holiday so many are bored ..:smile:

And .. when they cleaned out our road drains one guy had to submerge for about 20M to get the rope from one drain manhole to another ... that wasn't exactly a pleasant job either ...

Edited by JAS21

13 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

discusting

PJ's topics are 'interesting', in case you hadn't noticed ... still it's holiday so many are bored ..:smile:

And .. when they cleaned out our road drains one guy had to submerge for about 20M to get the rope from one drain manhole to another ... that wasn't exactly a pleasant job either ...

i think you need to re read my post

24 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

discusting

Now this topic is becoming very interesting, tell me more. ?

Normally Thais shit in the toilet.

After his personal inspection why didn't he include nuclear waste and body parts?

Edit. Most bins in our parts are full of plastic bags and drink bottles.

Edited by sipi

It is actually "difficult" and "expensive" to get a job working on a garbage truck

I have heard you need to take a 30k loan to secure the position but the reason they sort through the waste so carefully is because some of it is worth money and you will earn at least triple whatever a normal Thai job pays so there  is big demand for this job, no matter how filthy it looks

6 hours ago, speedtripler said:

It is actually "difficult" and "expensive" to get a job working on a garbage truck

I have heard you need to take a 30k loan to secure the position but the reason they sort through the waste so carefully is because some of it is worth money and you will earn at least triple whatever a normal Thai job pays so there  is big demand for this job, no matter how filthy it looks

Eight years ago I paid 10,000 baht for the wife's uncle to get a job working at the refuge dump in our local town. He gets 13,000/month and any thing he can find in the rubbish.

My mother in law thinks he has the best job in the village. I should say we are in the arse end of nowhere, in a big city it could be a very good job compared to the average Thai farming job.

8 hours ago, sipi said:

Quote...

"Used condoms , rats & rat shit , human shit, toilet paper used needles"?

Where the hell do you live?

bkk & pattaya , why the stupid reply ?   

are you saying there would be no needles, rats/rat s**t.human s**t in these bins ?   look in your hotel everywhere it states to clean your ass and throw the paper into plastic bag so therefore these bin lorries full of s**t !    and i watch some of these guys do not wear gloves and surely they fall sick with diseases often ? 

Pumping out septic pits would be much more pleasant. 

Will add that where you put the toilet paper (to dry your butt after washing it with the bum gun) has a bin liner which is tied up and put into another bag which is tied up. Never seen toilet paper put straight into the kerbside bin unless it is the stuff used to wipe your mouth at the restaurant. 

Edited by sipi

I was working on a nite cart casually between jobs when I was in my teens, try running with a sh*t can on your shoulder with half the contents leaking around the lid, in your hair, (when I had some) ear, down your arms and back, arr the good old days, seems to be a lot of soft precious posters on TV.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

James Harriot in his book series made a comment to the effect that 'the knacker's kids were probably the healthiest children in the village.' 

Westerner's aversion to all things bacterial tends to leave them with immune systems that function at sub-par.  Why do you think that so many Westerners visiting third-world and developing countries end up spending part of their vacations sitting on the porcelain throne and eating Norfloxacin and activated charcoal? 
The 'bin' guys are probably as healthy as buffaloes.

I can think of worse jobs, like plaala makers.  But then again, it's all relative.  I used to work commercial fishing where you'd spend the trip back to the dock gutting fish.  Seagulls were happy! After the fish sale, we were pretty happy too!

Edited by connda

It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. 

As others have mentioned, the collectors can make a little/a lot more money by collecting and selling items they find e.g. bottles, cardboard, etc. 

Quite frankly, I'd rather see them doing this than sitting on tbe dole waiting for the next handout. 

Edited by djayz

18 hours ago, vogie said:

Now this topic is becoming very interesting, tell me more. ?

Those guys you see  are short time to go prisoners from the Corrections Department and they volunteer to clean the drains, as it reduces their sentence by days worked. In addition to the sentence reduction they are outside the prison for those days working

Do them a small favour. Show them how you appreciate their job. Say thanks, to keep your streets clean, and give them two four-packs of cold Singha beers on the 12th of August and the 5th of December. We do it.

It is not that difficult, isn't it?

Edited by fxe1200

10 hours ago, pumpjack said:

bkk & pattaya , why the stupid reply ?   

are you saying there would be no needles, rats/rat s**t.human s**t in these bins ?   look in your hotel everywhere it states to clean your ass and throw the paper into plastic bag so therefore these bin lorries full of s**t !    and i watch some of these guys do not wear gloves and surely they fall sick with diseases often ? 

To enlighten you..

Your supposed to spray your ass with water to clean it then dry off with paper.

I dread to think what your bathroom bin is like. 

11 hours ago, pumpjack said:

bkk & pattaya ,..........  look in your hotel everywhere it states to clean your ass and throw the paper into plastic bag .............

You clean with the bum gun.

You dry with the tissue

You are new here.

Edited by Enoon

20 hours ago, JAS21 said:

discusting

Years ago along 'beach road' Pattaya they were cleaning out the drains, young lads were going from one manhole to the next(underground), you should have seen what was piling up around the holes, I thought this drainage was a 'runoff' to the sea, if so, what goes out into the sea.

In my opinion, these hard working men, doing a very unpleasant job, deserve a very high salary.

I say thanks to them by collecting plastic bottles in a big black garbage bag for them,

by giving them every once in a while a sixpack of Chang and a few hundred baht.

In my home country I had to pay approx. 600 Baht/month for garbage collection for a single person's household. And there, the garbage collectors have an easy job, compared to their Thai colleagues.

21 hours ago, JAS21 said:

discusting

I was also curious what discusting meant.

If you enjoy eating meat products you should see the environment of a slaughterhouse 

I recall when I was stationed in a small country town in Korea seeing a stray dog lift its leg to urinate on noodles left to dry in the sun. I would not eat noodles at such places since. 

When I first got out of the army I got a job working clean up crew at Star Kist foods. I still refuse to eat fish after cleaning up at the cleanest of canneries (formerly) in California. 

Most any food production factory has its disgusting parts.

As far as needles are concerned, in most places it is illegal to discard sharps or other biohazards in trash. I always saved my sharps and discarded them at my doctors office or a hospital. 

I have wondered why trash collectors will sort recyclables on the street taking more time to disrupt traffic instead of having sorters do this at a dump site. 

Sorry mate seen several over the years, go to the tips and see the whole family up to their armpits looking for anything they can get a few Bart for, I personally knew a family that was working a big dump and they had a nice modest house well decorated clean and a tidy yard to go with it.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app