Buddhism, Drunk Driving and the Law

Top Chef

We all have read the posts in the media regarding the News Years Death Toll in Thailand.

Really though, the question remains, "what are the Thai Police doing about it". This drunk driving business is a persistent problem, whether it's the New Years holiday or not. The authorities happily (or sadly) give us quotes on the death tolls and post lots of horrendous photos. But are the police doing their job?? (foolish question)

Of course it's New Years and people want to have fun. And just maybe the police or the authorities that be don't want to upset anyones sanook by stopping or detaining them (and that's understandable and maybe a bit tolerable). Which is, of course, the Thai way (culture). Good or bad, right or wrong, culture and religion go hand in hand. But road safety and the saving of lives is ,by all means, the paramount issue.

But is it for religious or nepotistic reasons that this slaughter continues. or is it just plain complacency. (I'd like to believe it's the former). Whatever the reason is,  the thinking behind it is backwards and all wrong. This issue must be addressed and finalized. Life is too precious to be used as a media circus.

Maybe you think that Therevada Buddhists should be meditating all day long. Among the less well educated (which is most of us) the presence of monks and temples is just a part of the animistic / shamanistic culture that was present before the first monks arrived.

As for your remarks about 'slaughter', according to damn lies (statistics) less people get killed over the holidays than on other days.

To change Thai fatalistic attitudes towards life in general to something like the, to me, horrific health and safety concept of much of the West or Singapore would cause it to lose much of what we came here for.

On 1/2/2018 at 3:53 PM, Top Chef said:

T

2 hours ago, cooked said:

Maybe you think that Therevada Buddhists should be meditating all day long. Among the less well educated (which is most of us) the presence of monks and temples is just a part of the animistic / shamanistic culture that was present before the first monks arrived.

As for your remarks about 'slaughter', according to damn lies (statistics) less people get killed over the holidays than on other days.

To change Thai fatalistic attitudes towards life in general to something like the, to me, horrific health and safety concept of much of the West or Singapore would cause it to lose much of what we came here for.

This drunk driving business is a persistent problem, whether it's the New Years holiday or not.

But road safety and the saving of lives is ,by all means, the paramount issue.

9 hours ago, cooked said:

AND YOU CAME HERE FOR WHAT...??

14 minutes ago, Top Chef said:

AND YOU CAME HERE FOR WHAT...??

Probably to get away from angry people that use capital letters. 

I certainly didn't come here to tell Thais to make their country like a Western one. I have a qualification as traffic engineer, a non-existent title in Thailand but I just go with the flow. 

Archived