Video: Seven migrant workers catapulted onto the road but all live

snoop1130

Video: Seven migrant workers catapulted onto the road but all live

Capture.PNG

Seven migrant workers travelling in the back of a pick-up were tossed onto the tarmac after a collision with a refrigerator truck on Rama II road yesterday.

The accident was captured on the dash cam of the truck as a rear tire on the Toyota Hilux burst causing the pick-up to veer off a straight line.

The large lorry was unable to stop and plowed into the back of the pick-up. Seven were injured one seriously as foundation medics and staff from three area hospitals responded to the emergency.

The accident happened as both vehicles came off the Tha Jeen bridge outbound from Bangkok. 

The driver of the pick-up Sanit Saiyen, 75, was only slightly hurt.

The driver of the lorry Khammoon Khamputha, 35, was uninjured. 

Police are interviewing both drivers again. 

Daily News did not report on the nationality or names of the workers.

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/619239

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-1-2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video shows one receiving CPR - incredible if they saved her life. 

This definitely brings back to the forefront the issues and recent news regarding the 'lifted' bans on people riding in the backs of pick-up trucks. 

Its often those who's opportunity for choice is removed based on their financial and social status who are placed in harms way. 

You think it just might be the fault, not of those in the pickup, but of that ill-mannered truck driver?  In some countries, you don't get to rule the road just because you're the biggest bozo on it.  In fact, you might lose your commercial license for good over an incident like that.

Glad the victims all survived.  They probably would not have had they been on a motorcycle instead.

31 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

You think it just might be the fault, not of those in the pickup, but of that ill-mannered truck driver?  In some countries, you don't get to rule the road just because you're the biggest bozo on it.  In fact, you might lose your commercial license for good over an incident like that.

Glad the victims all survived.  They probably would not have had they been on a motorcycle instead.

The truck was certainly undertaking traffic and the quality of the following truck drivers driving made him complicit when undertaking while there was a parked truck on the left. Perhaps he wasn't concentrating given the 'rabbiting' conversation on the video.

However, the root cause of the accident - poor vehicle maintenance (low tyre pressure or badly worn tires) resulting in the blow out combined with unrestrained passengers. 

I'd like to think that had many of us been driving this accident could have been avoided with quicker reactions and certainly not attempting to *undertake when the road was already blocked to the left. 

[*someone is bound to come on here and question 'undertaking' but in reality, in Thailand its sometimes the only way of passing some slow moving traffic in the right most lanes]

Bald tires probably pumped up to 60psi, happy-go-lucky girls jettisoned into the road, I hope they all survived, and the one receiving heart massage? That idiot parked on the hard shoulder, [ like it's the most normal thing to do], had a narrow escape.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The truck was certainly undertaking traffic and the quality of the following truck drivers driving made him complicit when undertaking while there was a parked truck on the left. Perhaps he wasn't concentrating given the 'rabbiting' conversation on the video.

However, the root cause of the accident - poor vehicle maintenance (low tyre pressure or badly worn tires) resulting in the blow out combined with unrestrained passengers. 

I'd like to think that had many of us been driving this accident could have been avoided with quicker reactions and certainly not attempting to *undertake when the road was already blocked to the left. 

[*someone is bound to come on here and question 'undertaking' but in reality, in Thailand its sometimes the only way of passing some slow moving traffic in the right most lanes]

Richard,

Respectfully, mind you, I have to 100% disagree with your assessment on multiple counts, based on my observations from the video.

1) The pickup was not undertaking.  It had just had a tire problem, attributed to a "blowout" in the article, and the (according to the article) 75-year-old driver was doing exactly the right thing to work his way to the side of the road carefully, not too fast, lest he destabilize things.  He had his turn signal on, and was clearly aiming for the open space just past the other sidelined vehicle.

2) The large truck that was following the pickup had been in the left-most lane and, perhaps seeing the sidelined vehicle ahead from a distance, was somewhat leisurely moving toward the right, into the lane that the pickup was leaving.

3) Not only could some of us have avoided this accident, we should have.  Regardless of how quickly a vehicle ahead slows or stops, it is the duty of the driver behind to follow at a safe stopping distance.

4) At no point in the video is there any indication of brakes having been applied by the rear-ending truck driver.  In place of this, he has the audacity to honk his horn--as he's already at the point of contact, it appears--at the disabled pickup's occupants.

On one point I will agree with you: "Perhaps he wasn't concentrating given the 'rabbiting' conversation on the video."  Clearly, the truck driver was distracted.  His irresponsibility may well have cost people's lives.

just a quickie on tyre pressures, i had a slow puncture on my scooter last week had it checked by 3 tyre bays, not one had a pressure gauge. must have been 50 psi in there, steering wandering all over the road, every bump like riding on a solid tyre (which it was ) so my take on it, they just guess tyre pressures,

If they were all saved god bless the hero who was giving CPR. 

I regret deeply being next to a accident were two were killed and one man had his leg ripped off. I have been first aid trained many times but was left frozen with shock as the young men died in front of me. 

10 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

What are you on about?

The truck driver was correctly in the inside lane with nothing in front of him (not tailgateing or up close to anything) the pick up was on his outside lane. The pick up, through no fault of it's own ( a puncture) veered over in front of the truck, leaving same truck with no time to stop before hitting it.

This is a real example of an "accident"... nobody's fault.

9 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

1) The pickup was not undertaking

No, it was driving in the middle lane when the left lane was clear. When the blow-out occurred, it swerved left straight into the path of the lorry.

9 hours ago, mercman24 said:

just a quickie on tyre pressures, i had a slow puncture on my scooter last week had it checked by 3 tyre bays, not one had a pressure gauge. must have been 50 psi in there, steering wandering all over the road, every bump like riding on a solid tyre (which it was ) so my take on it, they just guess tyre pressures,

When I go to Toyota for service, they always put 35 psi in the tyres and I have to ask them to put down to 29 as recommended by Toyota.

9 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

75-year-old driver was doing exactly the right thing to work his way to the side of the road carefully, not too fast, lest he destabilize things.  He had his turn signal on, and was clearly aiming for the open space just past the other sidelined vehicle.

No he wasn't, he simply veered off to the left, obviously not looking into his rear-view mirror, giving the 'offending' vehicle no chance. From blow-out to collision was just 3 seconds.

Another note on tire pressure; I check my tire pressure at stations quite often. I've witnessed these pick up conversion commercial vehicles putting 60 psi in tires rated 42/44 psi max. This will improve gas mileage a lot, but destroys control over the vehicle and braking abilities. Totally insane!

10 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

What are you talking about?

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No he wasn't, he simply veered off to the left, obviously not looking into his rear-view mirror, giving the 'offending' vehicle no chance. From blow-out to collision was just 3 seconds.

I will also respectfully disagree with you.  There was nothing on his left at the time to worry about, save for the vehicle on the shoulder, and had the truck driver been so inclined, he/she could have swapped places with the pickup, occupying the newly vacated lane that the pickup was leaving--mind you, with a little usage of some brakes first to sync the operation.  If there was "no chance" to avoid a collision, the truck driver is obviously at fault for leaving too little following distance between himself/herself and the traffic ahead.  With most vehicles, a 2-second following distance is recommended.  Commercial vehicles usually follow a 4-second rule-of-thumb.  If, as you claim, only three seconds were available, it appears that the truck was following too closely.  On the other hand, if two seconds should suffice, the truck cannot escape blame either.  No matter how one looks at this one, it's the truck driver's fault.  I would be slightly more inclined toward computing percentage of faults between other individuals involved if there had been any indication that the truck driver had applied the brakes.  The video shows the horn applied instead in a "get out of my way!" fashion.

As for the tyres,  there is simply nothing in the article or video that can establish the cause of the blowout.  We know only that it did indeed have one (the video shows this).  Tyres can blow out for many reasons, including tread separation which can happen more easily if the rubber has not been rolled for a long time.  Bald tires may be unsafe in wet weather, but there is nothing inherently prone to a blowout from having them--unless we're talking the kind of bald in which the steel belting is showing or the tyre is uneven and vibrating or overheating.  The main danger of a bald tire is loss of traction--something that was not a factor in this case.

I simply disagree with Richard on this one.  The tyres cannot be blamed for the accident.  As it happens, the pickup itself would have been fine if it were not for the reckless and inattentive driver behind it.  Now, as mercman suggests, it's possible that the tyre was overinflated.  That could have caused a blowout whether or not the tyre had been bald.

2 minutes ago, chrissables said:

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about the mode of transportation.

2 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I will also respectfully disagree with you.  There was nothing on his left at the time to worry about, save for the vehicle on the shoulder, and had the truck driver been so inclined, he/she could have swapped places with the pickup, occupying the newly vacated lane that the pickup was leaving--mind you, with a little usage of some brakes first to sync the operation.  If there was "no chance" to avoid a collision, the truck driver is obviously at fault for leaving too little following distance between himself/herself and the traffic ahead.  With most vehicles, a 2-second following distance is recommended.  Commercial vehicles usually follow a 4-second rule-of-thumb.  If, as you claim, only three seconds were available, it appears that the truck was following too closely.  On the other hand, if two seconds should suffice, the truck cannot escape blame either.  No matter how one looks at this one, it's the truck driver's fault.  I would be slightly more inclined toward computing percentage of faults between other individuals involved if there had been any indication that the truck driver had applied the brakes.  The video shows the horn applied instead in a "get out of my way!" fashion.

As for the tyres,  there is simply nothing in the article or video that can establish the cause of the blowout.  We know only that it did indeed have one (the video shows this).  Tyres can blow out for many reasons, including tread separation which can happen more easily if the rubber has not been rolled for a long time.  Bald tires may be unsafe in wet weather, but there is nothing inherently prone to a blowout from having them--unless we're talking the kind of bald in which the steel belting is showing or the tyre is uneven and vibrating or overheating.  The main danger of a bald tire is loss of traction--something that was not a factor in this case.

I simply disagree with Richard on this one.  The tyres cannot be blamed for the accident.  As it happens, the pickup itself would have been fine if it were not for the reckless and inattentive driver behind it.  Now, as mercman suggests, it's possible that the tyre was overinflated.  That could have caused a blowout whether or not the tyre had been bald.

So you are saying that the lorry driver, in a clear left hand lane, should have gone into the middle lane which the 'doomed' pick-up had just left in three seconds. How does the horn sound if not in a get-out-of-my-way fashion?

4 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

This was an accident involving no motorbikes, so why mention them? Obviously you have an issue with motorbikes and or the riders of them, again, why?

Just now, wgdanson said:

So you are saying that the lorry driver, in a clear left hand lane, should have gone into the middle lane which the 'doomed' pick-up had just left in three seconds. How does the horn sound if not in a get-out-of-my-way fashion?

Could you tell me what good a horn will do:

1) Applied at the moment of contact with the vehicle ahead; and

2) Applied for a disabled vehicle that is already doing its best to clear itself from the roadway?

The video shows how much good it did.  Now, what if the driver had timely applied the brakes instead?

2 minutes ago, chrissables said:

This was an accident involving no motorbikes, so why mention them? Obviously you have an issue with motorbikes and or the riders of them, again, why?

Motorcycles fare poorly in accidents.  In the latest round of statistics, over three-quarters of traffic fatalities in Thailand seem to involve motorcycles.  It is safer to be riding in the back of a pickup.  I have no issue with either one.  Both should be legal options.  But perhaps some education would help to improve the safety of both.

37 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No, it was driving in the middle lane when the left lane was clear. When the blow-out occurred, it swerved left straight into the path of the lorry.

When I go to Toyota for service, they always put 35 psi in the tyres and I have to ask them to put down to 29 as recommended by Toyota.

Same at my Honda-dealer...they pump the tires as hard as possible and when i show them the right pressure on the sticker they even can't do it because they don't even have a pressure gauge.

I really wish the law was enforced properly concerning the state of tyres and their tread. So often you pull up a junction and the truck or pick up next to you has almost bald tyres. I believe this is a huge factor in so many accidents here. 

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That decision to permit people to ride in the back of pick-ups doesn't look too bright after seeing that!

Still safer than pushing them out of pickup beds and onto scooters.

And I'm sure there are billionaires that stand in complete disgust that we don't all have armored limos with military trained drivers.  We'd be so much safer...

Of course, the real solution is to improve the economic conditions that deny people the wherewithal to choose the safest mode of transport.  But that's more than a traffic issue.

The truck driver who hit the pickup should be charged with vehicular manslaughter. He swerved into them, and at no time applied the brakes. A mild braking would have averted this accident. But thai drivers brains cannot quickly assess such a situation.

37 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That decision to permit people to ride in the back of pick-ups doesn't look too bright after seeing that!

It's a nation full of pick-ups.

What's to be done ?

Give everyone with a pickup a large saloon and their own personal cop who will make sure that all passengers are wearing a safety belt?

Ultimately it's the "personal cop" that's missing........the one that we all carry around in our heads.........and they don't.

Or is it that their personal cop is fundamentally focused on making sure that they crawl, wai the big man and think about how much "merit" they can earn in the next 10 seconds?

Edited by Enoon

2 minutes ago, soistalker said:

The truck driver who hit the pickup should be charged with vehicular manslaughter. He swerved into them, and at no time applied the brakes. A mild braking would have averted this accident. But thai drivers brains cannot quickly assess such a situation.

Doesn't there have to be a fatality for a manslaughter charge?

Or are you just taking a swat at the locals with that remark about Thai brains?

>>The driver of the pick-up Sanit Saiyen, 75, was only slightly hurt.

The age speaks the problem, we cannot be 100 percent efficient throughout our life. Why not car companies develop sensors, and beep when the driver is only 15-20 meters away from other object in the front, so that dumb drivers can slow down to keep a distance.

Only technology can help avoid human errors, otherwise we can expect more catapults.