Video: "Disgusting tourists worth a good kicking" - Thais vent frustration on Phuket visitors after trouble at Fuji

webfact

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, harrry said:

There is a difference between giving the waitress a tip for her service and being overcharged by the restaurant.

5 baht is not much....but the principle upsets many people.  In my  case it may not get a reaction from me at the restaunt (especially with the waitress....maybe I would comment to the owner) but may make me feel negative about the experience and go to other restaurants.

The principle , get a life, life is to short to be bitching about a lousy 5 Baht, let them keep it who gives a Monkeys <deleted> ! Sheesh.

3 hours ago, ujayujay said:

But no matter how much I spend there, I always seem to walk away hungry.

People who are not accustomed to Japanese food often feel like that. I've been eating Japanese food since

1962 so I don't have that problem.

Maybe you need to have some of your blood pudding sandwiches... that seems to be a favorite among Brits.

29 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

5 baht is not much....but the principle upsets many people. 

Where did the 5 baht complaint come from? I very much doubt Fuji overcharged anybody --

and even if they did make a mistake, if the beech had the civility to point it out politely, you

can be sure that Fuji would have corrected it pronto with an apology.

Too many farangs in Thailand have no civility. That's why I have so few farang friends.

Unfortunately they are my countrymen , Norwegians.  The lady was clearly very drunk and maybe drugs involved too .  

Nothing wrong with the behavior from the Thai staff , they handled the situation well. For a Norwegian 3000 baht is only half a day salary so they shouldn't complain too much about the bill. 

But the video should never been posted online , it's just drunk people , nothing to see here. 

14 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I wouldn't let these low-quality tourists even near my Somtham house. ...

I would.  Give them triple rotten fish sauce (Pla Raa) and hot pepper at no extra charge.  They'd wake up to a good case of Asian Afterburner.

5 hours ago, oldlakey said:

What kind of entertainment value would that be

This is a classic for Thaivisa, it cant do any harm unless your skin is as thick as a Rizla Blue

On the other hand IF there is an Alien invasion fleet out there just ready to pounce AND they intercept and decode all this guff-then,most assuredly-they will turn tail and flee! :smile:

You are right-it's a Thai Visa classic.

2 hours ago, balo said:

Unfortunately they are my countrymen , Norwegians.  The lady was clearly very drunk and maybe drugs involved too .  

Nothing wrong with the behavior from the Thai staff , they handled the situation well. For a Norwegian 3000 baht is only half a day salary so they shouldn't complain too much about the bill. 

But the video should never been posted online , it's just drunk people , nothing to see here. 

If my math is correct, that is "approximately" $25US / hour (based upon 30 bht to US dollar and based upon an 8 hour work day. Is this an average or a "median" wage? If average, no wonder Norway is rated as one the best countries to live...saunas galore too:). Compared to other countries- even the US, that's rather high. Not sure about the cost of living there, perhaps that's one factor for the hourly wage

13 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Food - yep. We're a family of 4 and regularly eat their. Missus always likes a good feed on the sashimi starter boats which ain't cheap. Kids eat steak or salmon and me and missus BB eat a variety. Never get anywhere near 3k.

But, we ain't boozing! If they were swilling beer / sake etc then easy. State she was in maybe.

Good point. I think a large portion of their bill was for the alcohol she consumed. I eat at Fuji every once in a while with the girlfriend and it comes to about 800 baht for two of us.

7 hours ago, Kirtom said:

Im sorry , but the this people are from my country, NORWAY. The woman dont know anything about Thai culture. I feel realy bad about this.

It seems every country has its fair share of idiots. Too bad so many of them these days seem to think they should have a holiday in Thailand.

7 hours ago, Kirtom said:

Im sorry , but the this people are from my country, NORWAY. The woman dont know anything about Thai culture. I feel realy bad about this.

Don't worry. I know lots of Norwegian Men and Woman that are very respectful in Thailand.

:)

11 hours ago, ujayujay said:

So why you visit Fuji more than once?

When we take the ladies from the office out to reward them for their hard work, they get to choose where they want to be taken.  They all love Fuji.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

She claimed that they had been in a Fuji restaurant where the bill had come to 3,200 baht but they had allegedly refused to pay and were drunk and abusive.

Fuji restaurants have set prices and are quite reasonable , they must have knocked back a few bottles of Sake , Japanese rice wine , to get a bill that high

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Fuji restaurants have set prices and are quite reasonable , they must have knocked back a few bottles of Sake , Japanese rice wine , to get a bill that high

Generally true, but some of their menu items do carry a pretty steep price.  It's not hard to ring up 3200 baht on food alone if you go for some of the more expensive sushi dishes, and Japanese Wagu beef is notoriously expensive- though I'm not sure that's on their menu.

Lots of diners there are on company expense accounts, so I'm sure they sell a lot of the high dollar sets.  And $100 for a business lunch for 3 or 4 is pretty reasonable, even in BKK.

21 hours ago, LennyW said:

Just a drunken disagreement about a bill which was settled within a few minutes....no big deal, i think the real issue here is the Thai woman writing "that these tourists were disgusting and worth a good kicking." as well as the other verbal gems uttered by the Thai onlookers!!

Yes, Thailand is, after all, called "Land of Smiles"... :sick:

Just wondering, if the guests had been drunk Thais and not foreign tourists, would there have been such a ruckus and name-calling?

Eastern European have white skin and most Thais are impressed by the white skin even those people create more problem. Thais often forget that those who have fair skin also pay the same price for the same service. 

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

Lots of diners there are on company expense accounts, so I'm sure they sell a lot of the high dollar sets.  And $100 for a business lunch for 3 or 4 is pretty reasonable, even in BKK.

Reasonable if you're sober. But once you had one too many, perhaps you question the bill more easily... :smile:

47 minutes ago, soistalker said:

They probably padded the bill.

And classy people don't hang around watching this kind of drama. Does it always have to be about violence for the Thais? She deserves a good Thai style 10-on-1 beating? It is none of their business. 

Not likely that they padded the bill in a restaurant belonging to an international chain. But to your other points: Yes, Yes (in most Thai's opinion), and Yes!

6 hours ago, TMNH said:

If my math is correct, that is "approximately" $25US / hour (based upon 30 bht to US dollar and based upon an 8 hour work day

The Norwegian Kr has weakened compared to USD , today a normal salary is around 55000 USD, or monthly salary of  4500 USD , in Thai baht that's around 5000 baht per day. 

Living costs are always high in Norway , especially rent and electricity. 

Archived