Cheap Charlie Farangs that expect service but do not want to pay

cyberfarang

To put this thread back on topic, the songtaew part of my OP is only used as an example to show how conniving some westerners are. They agree a price then find excuses or try to get out of paying. Regardless, I consider 1200 baht all inclusive for a personal chauffeur driven taxi all day is a good deal and I would not begrudge or complain about paying that, if the price was agreed beforehand that in actuality is a contract. 

Throughout my life I have never been able to tolerate meanness and mean people, and there seems too many of those types over here now.  

I understand and agree about welching out of an agreed upon fee but your prior comments seem to take it much further than that, begrudging farangs the right to shop around for the best deal. It doesn't matter if you would be unwilling to do a day's work for 1200 baht - you can pay whatever a taxi would cost in your home country if you want but it's futile to try to tell other people that they must pay above market rates.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

To put this thread back on topic, the songtaew part of my OP is only used as an example to show how conniving some westerners are. They agree a price then find excuses or try to get out of paying. Regardless, I consider 1200 baht all inclusive for a personal chauffeur driven taxi all day is a good deal and I would not begrudge or complain about paying that, if the price was agreed beforehand that in actuality is a contract. 

Throughout my life I have never been able to tolerate meanness and mean people, and there seems too many of those types over here now.  

LOL. My life has been blighted since I can remember by meanspirited, and sometimes just plain bad people.

Perhaps I've been particularly unlucky, or else they exist everywhere in great numbers.

Not to say I haven't also met many wonderful people too. Sadly, the best man I ever knew died far too young.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:59 AM, steven100 said:

There's so many cheap charlie farangs in Thailand .....   They expect 5 star service for a three star price .....  

That's why I don't drink with farang ....    they are cheap.  !!

Aren't you drinking with a falang every time you drink? :post-4641-1156694083:

Just saying..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. My life has been blighted since I can remember by meanspirited, and sometimes just plain bad people.

Perhaps I've been particularly unlucky, or else they exist everywhere in great numbers.

Not to say I haven't also met many wonderful people too. Sadly, the best man I ever knew died far too young.

You are serious? Sounds like you believe you are a "victim".

I do not know you and am not trying to start something, but you brought it up.

Ask yourself:  Have I ever made a meanspirited, bad or attacking comment at another on TVF?...

Think about it.....

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2018 at 10:52 PM, cyberfarang said:

Yes, 1,200 is about what it costs for a taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya, probably a 5 hour round-trip. Or there's the bus from Ekamai for 108 Baht.

Regardless, I consider 1200 baht all inclusive for a personal chauffeur driven taxi all day is a good deal and I would not begrudge or complain about paying that,

Yeah, but this wasn't a chauffeur driven taxi, this was an old pickup truck with a bench seat stuck in the back.

• Haha 1

Although if you agree a price on trust and you trusted the driver to give you the going rate and you then find out that hes charging you 2-3 times more than the correct price , you have everything to complain 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Although if you agree a price on trust and you trusted the driver to give you the going rate and you then find out that hes charging you 2-3 times more than the correct price , you have everything to complain 

Are you saying that you "trust" drivers to ask for less than they would get if they asked for more?

It doesn't work like that. One haggles, and the agreed price is the price. If one doesn't do one's homework and pays too much, one only has oneself to blame.

BTW, there is no "going rate" on private hires. They are whatever one agrees to pay.

• Like 1

Going back 20 years I could go out for an evening with friends in Chiang Mai, first stopping off for a meal at one of the many cheap Farlang food type run by Thais cafes or restaurants, then hit a bar, drink beers and gin & tonics including lady drinks with the company of young attractive bargirls and get the girl short time into the bargain all for around 900/1200 baht for the evening. These days I guess one would not expect to get much change out of 5000/6000 baht for the equivalent.

Even if taking inflation into account, the costs for social in Thailand were still much lower in real terms then today, they have become greedy, it`s all gone well out of proportion and also the quality of social and services has declined. These days it`s gone much more commercial.

But there are Farlangs that believe Thailand is still cheap and cheerful and expect an awful lot for their dollar. Many come here on low budgets thinking they can live the life of Riley on a pittance it would cost them in their own countries and once here still expect to live the high life without the funds to support it.

There are occasions when old friends or relatives have contacted me saying they are holidaying in Phuket, would I like to join them? I am honest and tell them, love to see you but I can`t afford it, they are on holiday money and I`m living monthly on my pensions. They have offered to pay some of my costs for the vacation and I`ve declined because I`m too proud for that. The same goes if needing a job done in the home, I won`t try to haggle a Thai down to the lowest rate possible and expect good service into the bargain.

It`s the same if going out or invited to go out, if I don`t have the money then I make my excuses and don`t go. If not having the money, can`t have, as simple as that. tough. I would not agree a price on anything, then once completed refuse to pay an agreed price because I consider it too high.

Edited by cyberfarang
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

But there are Farlangs that believe Thailand is still cheap and cheerful and expect an awful lot for their dollar. Many come here on low budgets thinking they can live the life of Riley on a pittance it would cost them in their own countries and once here still expect to live the high life without the funds to support it.

If you forgo the hookers and hooker bars, it's still like that.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Going back 20 years I could go out for an evening with friends in Chiang Mai, first stopping off for a meal at one of the many cheap Farlang food type run by Thais cafes or restaurants, then hit a bar, drink beers and gin & tonics including lady drinks with the company of young attractive bargirls and get the girl short time into the bargain all for around 900/1200 baht for the evening. These days I guess one would not expect to get much change out of 5000/6000 baht for the equivalent.

Wouldnt most of that difference be down the the exchange rate , rather than Thai inflation ?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If you forgo the hookers and hooker bars, it's still like that.

I was having a chat with a friend in England on Skype the other day. We got to comparing food prices between the UK and Thailand. It is possible to eat for very cheap in Thailand if satisfied with eating basic Thai dishes but eating western style can work out the same and even more expensive then in the UK. Electrical goods and cars are more expensive in Thailand, eating at western style restaurants can be more expensive then in the UK.

It is possible to live on a pittance in Thailand that goes back to what I was saying; we can only live according to our means and should not expect the world owes us certain living standards, don`t have, can`t have.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I was having a chat with a friend in England on Skype the other day. We got to comparing food prices between the UK and Thailand. It is possible to eat for very cheap in Thailand if satisfied with eating basic Thai dishes but eating western style can work out the same and even more expensive then in the UK. Electrical goods and cars are more expensive in Thailand, eating at western style restaurants can be more expensive then in the UK.

It is possible to live on a pittance in Thailand that goes back to what I was saying; we can only live according to our means and should not expect the world owes us certain living standards, don`t have, can`t have.

I cook all my own food (western), as long as I'm happy without beef it's much cheaper than the UK.

I was back in the UK last year, 5 quid for a pint in a pub (200bht) Vs 90bht for a pint at a Thai nightclub (Oxide, Milk Club et al)

Just making toffee (about 10bht for a slab, 100bht/kg) and about to start a Key SEA Lime pie (35bht).

I've never lived so well or so cheaply as I am now, anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, tryasimight said:

We went to a bar in Sangkha, Surin over the New Year and a large bottle of Singha was 95 baht. I can't remember the price I paid for a small bottle in Pattaya recently but I very much doubt you can get a tallie for that price.

in a bar by the market on Soi Buchow Pattaya where I have a beer it is 65 baht for

a large leo,  next door it is 70 baht this is all day every day, there are lots of bars in

Pattaya hence lots of competition, in Issan and other places less choice less competition.

a couple of clever Farangs who have been in Udon near twenty years knock 15 or 10 baht off that 100 baht price and are always busy, the other bars will probably put their price up again...... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Yeah ?? 250 - 300 baht beers in at least 10 bars I can think of.. Sometimes 400b (namtons).. 

So not exactly a big night out on 900b 

Avoid bars catering to foreigners and it's 90bht MAX for a big Leo.

And something to look at too ...........

milk club.jpg

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On 19.1.2018 at 10:52 PM, cyberfarang said:

Yes, they agree on this price and think it's "fair", because they don't know the distance. When they then see that it takes the songteaw just 10-20 minutes to go there (because it's definitely not 40km as you said, but more like 5-10km, depending on where you start and where you want to go exactly) they feel overcharged and thus want to reduce the price. Or they feel like they are ripped off, but don't dare to confront the taxi about it, so they make a runner.

And it's also not like "a personal chauffeur driven taxi all day" as you said, it's: He drives them up the mountain, then takes a nap, eats, chills a few hours, and then drives them back to the city, and this was his working day.

So if your friend would be fair and honest with them, charge them 200-300 thb to take them up the mountain, tell them there is no need that he waits, because there are many songteaws that they can take to go back to the city... guess what, people wouldn't run away or negotiate about the prices anymore.

And they would tell their friends: Chiang Mai was so nice, was easy to go around with a songteaw and see everything.

But with the mentality of the song teaws it's more like: Be careful in Thailand, they always try to scam you and rip you off, when we went to the mountain in Chiang Mai he charged us 30 Euro for less than 20km trip. (This is by the way about as expensive as a Taxi in Germany and makes Phuket look cheap)

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, they agree on this price and think it's "fair", because they don't know the distance. When they then see that it takes the songteaw just 10-20 minutes to go there (because it's definitely not 40km as you said, but more like 5-10km, depending on where you start and where you want to go exactly) they feel overcharged and thus want to reduce the price. Or they feel like they are ripped off, but don't dare to confront the taxi about it, so they make a runner.

And it's also not like "a personal chauffeur driven taxi all day" as you said, it's: He drives them up the mountain, then takes a nap, eats, chills a few hours, and then drives them back to the city, and this was his working day.

So if your friend would be fair and honest with them, charge them 200-300 thb to take them up the mountain, tell them there is no need that he waits, because there are many songteaws that they can take to go back to the city... guess what, people wouldn't run away or negotiate about the prices anymore.

And they would tell their friends: Chiang Mai was so nice, was easy to go around with a songteaw and see everything.

But with the mentality of the song teaws it's more like: Be careful in Thailand, they always try to scam you and rip you off, when we went to the mountain in Chiang Mai he charged us 30 Euro for less than 20km trip. (This is by the way about as expensive as a Taxi in Germany and makes Phuket look cheap)

Per Google maps....

Screenshot_2018-01-22-17-18-49-88.png

11 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Avoid bars catering to foreigners and it's 90bht MAX for a big Leo.

And something to look at too ...........

milk club.jpg

These are bars mostly for Thais.. Beer Lab.. Beer Republic.. My Beer Friend.. Namtons.. Etc etc.. 

These are not farang bars.. or majority farang custom.. 

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

These are bars mostly for Thais.. Beer Lab.. Beer Republic.. My Beer Friend.. Namtons.. Etc etc.. 

These are not farang bars.. or majority farang custom.. 

Mighty "picky" aren't we:post-4641-1156693976:

IF "these are not farangs bars" ....THEY should be!

Edited by beachproperty

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

I have a uk home and a thai home (and 2 others currently) .. So am directly exposed to running costs for both places.. For the way I live, the things I buy, how I spend my money.. The UK provides quality items cheaper than Thailand. So much so I am constantly coming here with full suitcases and trying not to get caught by the new airport tax demands. 

Anything with large elements of labour (my pool cleaners, gardeners, laundry services) are cheaper here, but any'thing' of stuff I consume, tends to be cheaper there.. Then once you add in that its luxury stuff and there is a huge used market for luxury things for silly cheap, its much cheaper.. 

Of course you spend money differently, I tend to eat out less there and more here, I tend to buy all my clothes and shoes there, its easy to drive higher end / performance vehicles there, etc etc.

12 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

IF "these are not farangs bars" ....THEY should be!

Of all the craft beer places the only one I think of as being primarily farang centric would be beer republic.. All the others are Thai run and mostly Thai custom. 

On 1/6/2018 at 2:46 AM, cyberfarang said:

He told me on several occasions a Farang after arriving at Doi Suthep has disappeared having not paid

Although sometimes, the driver drops passengers off at the bottom of D.S. and then goes off to park and when the passengers come back down , theres 20-30 songthaews parked all over the place and they may not remember who their driver was

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Of all the craft beer places the only one I think of as being primarily farang centric would be beer republic.. All the others are Thai run and mostly Thai custom. 

Why would I want to drink in bars owned by white men and surrounded by other white men?

I came here to escape white people and mix with young Asian women.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Why would I want to drink in bars owned by white men and surrounded by other white men?

I came here to escape white people and mix with young Asian women.

Yes, we know, lets not get onto the subject of young girls again though

Just now, LivinLOS said:

I have a uk home and a thai home (and 2 others currently) .. So am directly exposed to running costs for both places.. For the way I live, the things I buy, how I spend my money.. The UK provides quality items cheaper than Thailand. So much so I am constantly coming here with full suitcases and trying not to get caught by the new airport tax demands. 

Anything with large elements of labour (my pool cleaners, gardeners, laundry services) are cheaper here, but any'thing' of stuff I consume, tends to be cheaper there.. Then once you add in that its luxury stuff and there is a huge used market for luxury things for silly cheap, its much cheaper.. 

Of course you spend money differently, I tend to eat out less there and more here, I tend to buy all my clothes and shoes there, its easy to drive higher end / performance vehicles there, etc etc.

Yes everyone spends money differently.  Arguing over the price of a beer seems so trivial and dumb.

If one is here for sex like many of us.

1 hr Thailand= 20 to 30 bucks and young.  Or, get a young GF for practically nothing.

1 hr many developed countries = 150 + bucks for a stinky old hag.

So, if one is "active" that is thousands of dollars a month less.

But I realized after being here many don't care about sex.  Just drink constantly complain about the cost of booze or a baht bus and many other trivial things to keep those negative juices flowing.  There is some sort of feeling of power in peoples minds I guess to constantly complain.

Seems like an insecure waste of time.