Cheap Charlie Farangs that expect service but do not want to pay

cyberfarang

5 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

You're not comparing like with like, try adding the re-entry fees to the extension cost.

I don't have to pay any more.

I'm just funning ya.  I see what you're doing.  Good idea actually! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Depends what you mean by "service people" and maybe upon what counts as "rich". From what I've seen Lanna hi-so's treat maids, gardeners, plumbers, electricians, etc like shiite.

I'm what the OP would refer to as a Cheap Charlie, although I consider myself to be a Frugal Fred <laughs - no doubt my Scottish roots>, but we treat people who work at our home with respect, we pay well, we give bonuses for good work, and I bet when I go to a restaurant that I tip more than most all Hi-So regardless of their nationalities.  If the service is good - I tip; if the service sucks - I don't.  But when I do, I tip well.  And I truly appreciate good service. I've done service work including being a waiter, so I empathize.  I've noticed that many Thai will not tip.  Guess we should start calling them Selfish Somchais.  But - let's not. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, connda said:

I'll drive in from Lamphun, park the car in a secure parking lot for 30 THB, and I tend to take Songtaews locally (or walk) to go shopping and to hang out in downtown CM.  Parking on many of the streets is a totally pain in the derrière, so using local transport in the city just makes good sense.  And, I pay the going rate which is now 30 THB. 

or you could bring a bicycle in your car and travel in the city for free.

39 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

A couple of years ago I got a taxi into Bangkok. The driver did not hsve change so I asked him to take me to a bank Ian's i would get change to pay him. He told me there was a bank around the corner and he didn't want to come with me. I got the change went back to the taxi paid the fare and gave him a good for being such a decent person

If I am short of change I always have a taxi drop me at a 7/11 they always make change for me. 

a 'VISA extension for reason of marriage' and a 'marriage VISA' are not the same, and have different requirements. I have a 'marriage VISA' and there is no financial requirement attached.

Does that mean that the type of visa that you hold does not require an annual extension and hence you don't need to have 400k baht in the bank? If so, I'd like to learn more details about how that works.
  • Like 1

I'm what the OP would refer to as a Cheap Charlie, although I consider myself to be a Frugal Fred , but we treat people who work at our home with respect, we pay well, we give bonuses for good work, and I bet when I go to a restaurant that I tip more than most all Hi-So regardless of their nationalities.  If the service is good - I tip; if the service sucks - I don't.  But when I do, I tip well.  And I truly appreciate good service. I've done service work including being a waiter, so I empathize.  I've noticed that many Thai will not tip.  Guess we should start calling them Selfish Somchais.  But - let's not. 

That's doesn't sound like a description of a Cheap Charlie.
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

or you could bring a bicycle in your car and travel in the city for free.

That's a good idea.  Packing my bike in my little 'city car' is tough though.  I need to find a bike carrier to fit on a Suzuki. I recently took a trip to Mae Hong Son and planned to take the bike, but it simply took up too much room.  Any idea where a Frugal Fred can get a bike carrier.  Recommendations?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, suzannegoh said:

That's doesn't sound like a description of a Cheap Charlie.

I have a budget and I economize where I can.  Tipping for good service isn't a place a economize.  :wink:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Depends what you mean by "service people" and maybe upon what counts as "rich". From what I've seen Lanna hi-so's treat maids, gardeners, plumbers, electricians, etc like shiite.

Sadly true.  I've seen a lot, too.  In Thailand (6+ years) and in China (10+ years)   But that's not in keeping with Buddhism or Confucianism.  And the truly wealthy people I know are more likely to show the benevolence than the wanna-be's. 

Just like Christian values, some are better at it than others.  But there's very little doubt about what Jesus taught about how to treat each other.

6 minutes ago, connda said:

That's a good idea.  Packing my bike in my little 'city car' is tough though.  I need to find a bike carrier to fit on a Suzuki. I recently took a trip to Mae Hong Son and planned to take the bike, but it simply took up too much room.  Any idea where a Frugal Fred can get a bike carrier.  Recommendations?

My only recommendation is to do some research before you buy one.  There are freeways that won't let you on if you have anything tied to the top of your vehicle, even in a proper rack.  I've been denied entry to the BKK-Pattaya motorway and the other freeway, and pulled over several times for having a kayak rack.  Had I known that, I probably would have bought inflatables or folding kayaks.

Tough to get from BKK to a beach without driving on a freeway for part of the trip.

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Does that mean that the type of visa that you hold does not require an annual extension and hence you don't need to have 400k baht in the bank? If so, I'd like to learn more details about how that works.

Thai consulate, Suvannakhet, Laos, 1 year multi entry marriage VISA, 5,000bht (requirements Original marriage cert (+ copy), signed copies of partners ID card and house book, your passport (+ copy))

• Like 1

Thai consulate, Suvannakhet, Laos, 1 year multi entry marriage VISA, 5,000bht (requirements Original marriage cert (+ copy), signed copies of partners ID card and house book, your passport (+ copy))

What happens at the end of the year, do you just apply for another one for another 5000 baht, and can you do that an unlimited number of times? If it's that easy, I'm wondering why everyone doesn't do it.
  • Like 1

Just now, suzannegoh said:

What happens at the end of the year, do you just apply for another one for another 5000 baht, and can you do that an unlimited number of times? If it's that easy, I'm wondering why everyone doesn't do it.

I do it every 15 months (the 1 year lasts 5x 90 days).

I'm guessing everyone isn't married, or don't have foreign holidays as often as I, or just don't like travelling.

I do it every 15 months (the 1 year lasts 5x 90 days).
I'm guessing everyone isn't married, or don't have foreign holidays as often as I, or just don't like travelling.

Or maybe because of the risk that one year the visa application won't get approved. But that does go a long way toward explaining why people who brag about living on $500 per month are able to stay here.

7 hours ago, dpdp said:

If your friend was using a meter he would not be cheated. So he just deserves it.

I like Russian and Chinese for this !

Do meters really handle these long distance trips involving substantial waiting?

An arranged price is more common.

4 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

you haven't answered me yet ...

what's strange about supporting a government that provides peace & security while creating economic development ?

what's strange about not wanting to associate with farangs in Thailand   ? 

I didn't come here to meet farangs.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2018 at 5:50 AM, Shoeless Joe said:

Perhaps there are tourists (Farangs AND others) who try to "negotiate" themselves out of previously quoted prices for services and who take part in low-level thefts as described by the OP. But surely if, as you (or your Thai friends) claim, these events were taking place on the scale you indicated (i.e. "this is happening on a much larger scale than we get to hear about"), why the deafening silence? If this was true would we not already have heard and been made aware of what's happening by the Thai "victims" shouting and screaming from the rooftops? After all, they're not usually slow in blaming farangs and tourists for everything else.

BUT really, there's no context here. How does what you say compare with, for instance, farangs who are daily subject to the iniquitous, discriminatory 2-tier pricing system which operates almost everywhere and farangs who have dealt with unscrupulous Thais providing services who frequently attempt to renegotiate previously quoted prices in the middle of a job and then blackmail their clients by threatening to leave if there's no additional money (not forgetting that they will already have had a reasonable deposit, whilst at the same time charging for top class materials and buying cheap inferior products).

I suggest that the above examples are at least comparable with the unreported stories your friends and business owners told you.

Regards,

Joe

Yes,that is true, My first trip here I was lucky to meet up with an American Navel man, we were in a bar and his ship was in, he told me several things about the Thais, and one was, if you strike a deal, never renege on the deal, all the years I have visited and lived in Thailand I have met mostly good,fair Thais, one of what, I think, was a bad experience was also many years ago before Taximeters were all the go, I was at the old Southern bus station and was sitting down for a few moments after a trip, a Taxi driver came up and asked where I was going,I did a deal,not cheap, but just wanted to get to where I was going, he said did I want the express-way I said yes,the deal was agreed, all in, he kept me waiting almost an hour and I asked him to take my suitcase out of his boot so I could get another taxi, he just mumbled and told me to get in, we were only on the road a short time and he pulled off down a quiet soi and said I had to pay extra for the express-way,now we are only talking about something like,forty baht, I think it was,he said if I didn't pay he would just drop me off where I was, I paid,but he would have had the same as a tip anyway,no tip this time though,it wasn't about the small amount of money,just he took advantage of a situation,and I was very tired and wanted to use the toilet, and a nice shower and change of smelly clothes.

Edited by eddysmit
met
  • Like 1

That risk exists with any VISA or extension.

Yes, but if they stopped issuing extentions of marriage & retirement visas it would be big news and you'd probably have time to plan your next move. But if a Thai consulate in Laos stopped issuing visas to people with no visible means of support you might not find out about that until the last minute.

And out of all the quality places you choose Thailand. What makes you different procrastinating in this broke ass country?

Most of us are the same in the sense that our lifestyle wouldn't be possible if wages in Thailand were as high as in our home country. In a sense, we are being subsidized by people who earn $1 per hour.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Yes, but if they stopped issuing extentions of marriage & retirement visas it would be big news and you'd probably have time to plan your next move. But if a Thai consulate in Laos stopped issuing visas to people with no visible means of support you might not find out about that until the last minute.

10 years ago all the Thai consulates would give someone over 50 a 1 year VISA, just for asking + 5,000bht

5 years back all my pals changed to Education VISA (before that it was border hops)

Last year with Brexit, several moved to the Philippines (no proof of funds required, 3 years without leaving), others to Cambodia.

VISA rules change, I can walk away from Thailand if they want.

I don't worry so much about the future anymore.

I don't have enough (life) time left to be bothered by it all,

One warm 3rd world country is much the same as another.

All I need is my passport, my pension, and a country without welfare.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, LivinLOS said:

If hes charging 1200b to do a run up D.S and back no wonder he thinks people are cheap and going to haggle. 

It's not the trip itself. It's for loss of custom while waiting for them at the top, so actually a fair price. I'd never do that, as I can go to the zoo area where songtheaws are waiting to take people up, and songtheaws are at the top to bring one down again.

However, the OP exposes something he may not have wanted to. Why would any right minded tourist pay 1200 baht to ride in the back of a red songtheaw when the roof and windows are so low as not to be able to see anything, it's not safe for the average nanny state tourist as no seat belts, and no AC in the hot season.

In short, it's not a good deal for a tourist.

The problem is that up to now it's been easy for C M Thais to offer substandard services and still get customers, but times have changed, tourists expect better transport, not some clapped out, dirty vehicle with no view and no AC.

The classic scam by tour companies is and has always been to use a very nice, new van to collect tourists from their hotels, and then transfer them to a decrepit, old and worn out piece of junk van for the actual tour. Happened to me in 1993, and again last year.

A while back I went on a "tour" of the Mae Ping and temples. To say it was shockingly bad would be an understatement.

I went on a different river tour, and ended up very disappointed because it was such a mediocre experience. 

I also went to a Kantoke dinner and the food was mediocre, the dancing sloppy, the experience bad.

A friend went on an elephant park tour and was extremely angry because it was very poor, and she got back to C M hours after she was told she would be.

I will add though, that Pattaya has it's act together, so it can be done. It's just C M that is providing shoddy tours and service and expecting to be minting it. 

However, if the songtheaw driver is having problems taking customers up the mountain, he can always just take them up, and hope for a customer going down, or just take them to the songtheaws that do the hill exclusively. Either way, he's not waiting a long time at the top.

IMO, C M is so badly run and maintained, I fully expect that eventually the only tourists that will be coming here are bagpackers that are prepared to put up with substandard services, or cheap tours with Chinese etc.

BTW, if the red bus drivers weren't always trying to rip me off, I'd feel better disposed towards them. They make a rod for their own back.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

My own little experience.

I was in the mens lockeroom sauna at one of the Centrepoints. I was alone.

Five american women sneaked in and proceeded to steal the half litre water bottles. You know 10 baht sort of thing. 

They started to mouth off at me as I confronted them but thespa security had been watching on camera and strolled in with his wooden club and "asked them" to return the water.

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, elektrified said:

Indian guests in Thailand at 4 and 5 Star hotel spas are notorious for trying to get the price down after the spa treatments.

LOL. I once had to explain to a group of Indians in Pattaya that the price for a baht bus was for each of them and they couldn't haggle over a 10 baht fixed fee.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, sanemax said:

I do think that your prices are a bit out of date , its 80 Baht from the Zoo to Doi Suthep one way and its a minimum of 30 Baht, back into town (from the zoo)

Yes, it's written on the red songtheaw roof 30 baht. They wouldn't do it from Promenada though- 100 each in a full bus. Grubby b******.

4 hours ago, eddysmit said:

Yes,that is true, My first trip here I was lucky to meet up with an American Navel man, we were in a bar and his ship was in, he told me several things about the Thais, and one was, if you strike a deal, never renege on the deal, all the years I have visited and lived in Thailand I have met mostly good,fair Thais, one of what, I think, was a bad experience was also many years ago before Taximeters were all the go, I was at the old Southern bus station and was sitting down for a few moments after a trip, a Taxi driver came up and asked where I was going,I did a deal,not cheap, but just wanted to get to where I was going, he said did I want the express-way I said yes,the deal was agreed, all in, he kept me waiting almost an hour and I asked him to take my suitcase out of his boot so I could get another taxi, he just mumbled and told me to get in, we were only on the road a short time and he pulled off down a quiet soi and said I had to pay extra for the express-way,now we are only talking about something like,forty baht, I think it was,he said if I didn't pay he would just drop me off where I was, I paid,but he would have had the same as a tip anyway,no tip this time though,it wasn't about the small amount of money,just he took advantage of a situation,and I was very tired and wanted to use the toilet, and a nice shower and change of smelly clothes.

Way back in the 70s I struck a bargain with a tuk tuk driver to take me to my hotel. Turned out he didn't have a clue where it was, and had to ask someone. When we got to the hotel he demanded more money, but when I explained to the doorman he sent him off with the agreed fee.

Ah, LOS in the 70s was a very different place from the one I came to love in the 90s. 

3 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Most of us are the same in the sense that our lifestyle wouldn't be possible if wages in Thailand were as high as in our home country. In a sense, we are being subsidized by people who earn $1 per hour.

and?

People that buy sports shoes in America are being subsidised by the serfs that make them for a pittance in Asian countries.

Do I need to give any more of the thousands of examples as to how westerners can live the good life in their countries at the expense of others?

Rule #1. Life is <deleted> ( for most people on the planet ) and then they die.

BTW, many of the poor in LOS do extremely well out of us. My ex family among them. If they hadn't been so greedy they would still be doing well out of me.

• Like 1