Teen motorcyclist impaled on back of pick-up; friend breaks leg in serious condition

rooster59

Teen motorcyclist impaled on back of pick-up; friend breaks leg in serious condition

teen.JPG

Image: Daily News

A 14 year old boy was killed when a motorcycle rammed into the back of a turning pick-up, said foundation medics in Ban Bung.

The accident happened Thursday as a Honda Wave slammed into the back of a Mighty X. A friend of the dead boy was in a serious condition with a broken leg.

Pick-up driver Prajak, 52, said that as he was turning 3 or 4 bikes whizzed up and around him. One hit him resulting in the death and injury to the M2 (second year of secondary) pupils.

Neither boy was named in the Daily News report.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-06

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrest the parents, charge them with "Child Endangerment", give them at least 5 years of non suspendible sentence.  Start doing that, and just maybe parents will stop letting the underaged kids drive.  

Ok, I forgot where I was.  This is Thailand.  Nothing's going to happen.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

If he had responsible parents, he would not have been driving the motorbike at 14 years of age.

To their defense; if the parents were responsible and told the kid not to ride the bike the kid probably couldnt go to school. Or a parent had to stop working in which case he could be brought there, but then they could not pay the tuition or the house they live in.

Its not all that simple.

When a kid drove into the back of my car at a red light, the missus rang his parents up and they were shocked. They paid for him to use a Minivan service to and from school, but instead he somehow had a bike. I'm guessing he chipped in with his other mates on the bike to buy it.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Idiot kids driving at idiotic speeds, driving on idiot roads, with idiotic and irresponsible parents. 

probably a genetic cause.

Mixt mariages will soften the problem ....so , keep up the good work.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

If he had responsible parents, he would not have been driving the motorbike at 14 years of age.

In country areas most kids ride motorbikes as soon as their feet can reach the pedals It is not unknown for kids as young as 6 or 7 to ride a motorcycles often on public roads 

When I queried this I was told youngsters could ride a motorcycle at any age but they must get a licence when they reach 16 .

Just stand outside any school and you will see many school children ride motorcycles into school In fact they have to ride past police officers on school traffic duty and as you would expect the police do nothing except the occasional helmet check 

28 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

In country areas most kids ride motorbikes as soon as their feet can reach the pedals It is not unknown for kids as young as 6 or 7 to ride a motorcycles often on public roads 

When I queried this I was told youngsters could ride a motorcycle at any age but they must get a licence when they reach 16 .

Just stand outside any school and you will see many school children ride motorcycles into school In fact they have to ride past police officers on school traffic duty and as you would expect the police do nothing except the occasional helmet check 

I know they drive far too early regarding motorbikes. That does not make it better.
What is totally wrong is that the people tell they can drive the bikes before, but need a license when they reach 16. Total B.S. That just make the license insignificant, which it naturally are due to that it doesn´t include the nessecary theory and driving lessons.
That they drive by police and traffic police, it´perfectly natural because they do not enforce the law. Just look at helmets. One day we get fined, another day they are busy with something else.

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

To their defense; if the parents were responsible and told the kid not to ride the bike the kid probably couldnt go to school. Or a parent had to stop working in which case he could be brought there, but then they could not pay the tuition or the house they live in.

Its not all that simple.

Oh yeah. Now you really put the head on the nail, (should be read: peirced your head with the nail). You are using the same old Thai comment everybody use to do different like they want themselfs everyday. Can´t keep on commenting like this, and believe that this can continue. BTW, and YES, it actually is that simple.

Off course best and first it would be the city, school or government that fixes the problem with schoolbusses. However, that is actually available in many places already. Many outskirts of cities and villages also have songtaews. I also cat belive that it would kill the kid if he had to walk 500m-3km per day just to reach the transportation.

If it would be as bad as you try to state, which it absolutely ain´t in this particular case. Then you can arrange with more people that are driving to the school and go together in a car or other type of transportation. It will just take that all go together and pay for the gas.

Naturally, this will take some kind of thinking and planning. Two words unknown to many people, but it is actually that simple.

Dear, Sir! I guess your defense line seems to be broken down, and the comment overtaken by the rebellion forces. Cheers!

7 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Oh yeah. Now you really put the head on the nail, (should be read: peirced your head with the nail). You are using the same old Thai comment everybody use to do different like they want themselfs everyday. Can´t keep on commenting like this, and believe that this can continue. BTW, and YES, it actually is that simple.

Off course best and first it would be the city, school or government that fixes the problem with schoolbusses. However, that is actually available in many places already. Many outskirts of cities and villages also have songtaews. I also cat belive that it would kill the kid if he had to walk 500m-3km per day just to reach the transportation.

If it would be as bad as you try to state, which it absolutely ain´t in this particular case. Then you can arrange with more people that are driving to the school and go together in a car or other type of transportation. It will just take that all go together and pay for the gas.

Naturally, this will take some kind of thinking and planning. Two words unknown to many people, but it is actually that simple.

Dear, Sir! I guess your defense line seems to be broken down, and the comment overtaken by the rebellion forces. Cheers!

I agree with every word you have said. But as you well know, here in Thailand nothing sensible makes sense, they simply dont care. When I point out many of the things suggested to my wife her answer is always the same. "Cannot". That for me just sums it up. Let them get on with it and continue in their ignorant way.

Edited by jimn

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Arrest the parents, charge them with "Child Endangerment", give them at least 5 years of non suspendible sentence.  Start doing that, and just maybe parents will stop letting the underaged kids drive.  

During yesterdays afternoon school run i had a bit of a rant as 2x under 10s on a chicken-chaser crossed from L to R in order to turn right. My eldest then revealed that one of his classmates (12-13) drove a CAR to a school sports event a few months ago & will probably do same next week!

Who get the bill when this goes pear-shaped?

Edit: 500m before the above a policeman monitoring traffic at a nearby jct did bugger all as they (dozens of kids on bikes) passed.

Edited by evadgib

12 minutes ago, Sakeopete said:

I see many farang do the exact same thing as Thais. There must be a connection between a scooter's ignition switch and human brain. Scooter starts-brain stops.

What? This was interesting. You´ve just made my day.

You see many foreigners doing the same?? Where? Here in Thailand? In the country of your origin?

If you see many 14 year old foreigner speeding, racing and crasching in Thialnd. Yeah, then I would just recommend cutting down on the booze, my friend. You´re starting to hallucinate.

If you see that in your country of origin. Then I just have to congratulate you. You have found a replica country of Thailand. That can really be worth something in the future.

As for one last thing. There is absolutely no connection what so ever between a human brain and, as you call it, a scooters ignition.
The only thing is that to many people believe that they have a choice to use their own brain or the ignition. They still not figured out that they can use both at the same time.
That is one thing that evidently comes down to the capability of doing two thing at the same time. That is something that seems really complicated.

As for education: In Thailand we are not talking about scooters in accidents like this. This is all from 110-150cc engines. Thet are in most countries considered either as a light MC or a plain MC.

24 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You see many foreigners doing the same?? Where? Here in Thailand? In the country of your origin?

If you see many 14 year old foreigner speeding, racing and crasching in Thialnd. Yeah, then I would just recommend cutting down on the booze, my friend. You´re starting to hallucinate.

I'm not going to speak to foreign underage riders, because I see very few of them.   But that's probably because there are so few foreign kids in relation to the foreign adults.  And most foreigners with kids in Thailand are on a decent enough salary to put their kids into 4 wheel vehicles which are 20-40x safer than a scooter.  I suspect most Thai parents wish they had that luxury.

I see foreigners in my neighborhood around Asoke driving native every day that I'm out and around.  Driving the wrong way, running red lights, splitting lanes, no helmet, speeding, illegal u-turns, riding on the sidewalks, double parking, and staggering out of the bar and onto their scooters.  Everything I've seen the locals do.

I don't chalk it up to the scooter ignition as much as the lack of enforcement.  It can't be education, because they all learned to drive back home where they'd lose their license in a month if they pulled the same crap.

Edited by impulse

40 minutes ago, Get Real said:

If you see that in your country of origin. Then I just have to congratulate you. You have found a replica country of Thailand. That can really be worth something in the future.

As for one last thing. There is absolutely no connection what so ever between a human brain and, as you call it, a scooters ignition.
The only thing is that to many people believe that they have a choice to use their own brain or the ignition. They still not figured out that they can use both at the same time.
That is one thing that evidently comes down to the capability of doing two thing at the same time. That is something that seems really complicated.

As for education: In Thailand we are not talking about scooters in accidents like this. This is all from 110-150cc engines. Thet are in most countries considered either as a light MC or a plain MC.

Feel better for that? :post-4641-1156694572:

19 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

So true real I would fine the parents for letting him ride that bike 

..... and make them pay ALL costs as insurance is void (if they even have it). I know of a crash right in front of me when someone took out 4 vehicles and had no insurance so all the other vehicle owners copped for it, with their premiums  affected (btw they were ALL legally parked at the time). Driver was fined B500.

14 years of age?! Such a tragedy. My condolences. I was on my way to shopping last week (60 km/h) when several youths on m/b's whizzed by me, No helmets and I thought then it would just be a matter of time. I suppose we can all say that youngsters anywhere can be 'head strong' but given the road fatalities here they are accidents just waiting to happen. Sad. 

Every comment so far has blamed the motorcycle. While they could be right, my experience here is that it cannot be assumed.

I have lost count of the number of times that a driver has decided it would be better if they don't wait 0.5secs to turn left BEHIND me. Generally they will just accelerate until I am level with the passenger door before they start turning. ( I get a ring side view of them not looking at me! ).

But the really ambitious ones accelerate hard to get well in front before braking hard to turn, usually still off to the right as they start the turn, so there is nowhere to go when one realises that both the brake and indicator lights must be working as well as the drivers brain.

Then of course there are the special ones that cut across the highway to a nearly stationary broadside for corner negotiation. Most scooter brakes at any reasonable highway speed may not save you without your e.s.p., luck and possibly one of your nine lives.

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

these days I saw a young boy on his bike. He looked very young indeed. I asked him......he was 9......!!!!!!!!! His mother sent him for buying MAMA. What is going on in his Mom's head`?

No further comment

Saw this kid on a bike He looked about 10 The bike was pretty big and he was having trouble holding onto steering handles Mum and Dad need a good kick up the backside for letting him ride that bike in traffic Are they forgetting they are the adults?

13 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Saw this kid on a bike He looked about 10 The bike was pretty big and he was having trouble holding onto steering handles Mum and Dad need a good kick up the backside for letting him ride that bike in traffic Are they forgetting they are the adults?

No, but I got the impression they don't like their children, (:sad:)when they driving on a bike with 5 persons of whom are 3 kids without helmets though the adults got it. Or they let the described boy go by bike to buy Mama. Are they thinking to be young enough to produce new ones?