PM suggests Thais to start saving for their future

rooster59

1 minute ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Need an education system  and ability to learn skills for employment that pays a decent wage before one can even go there and preach about saving. Oh, and whilst i'm here how about a democratic elected government in place then doing your daily evening God like rants?

Can't improve the education system.  The serfs will get uppity.  After you are here for a while this becomes obvious. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Acknowledge and 100% concur.

Tax change is the only way I see to do it.  Make the middle class more appealing and fund it from inheritance tax.  Match savings dollar for dollar and call it the Robin Hood tax system. 

So help them. Stamp out corruption instead of giving it lip service.. ie: new police force

Make the wealthy pay their taxes instead of hiding it.Scrutinize  the rich moving money offshore

Make the banks pay a decent interest rate in particular for say small  accounts under 2mil

Stop the tax rebate for  New Year spending . (Just helping the rich get richer)

Stop the mafia like co ops who pay the farmers next to nothing

35 minutes ago, spyridon50 said:

The government should introduce compulsory superannuation where the employers put in a perentage of the employees wage in a superannuation fund so when its time to retire they will have some money

How do you do that when 50% of the economy is agriculture based and no wages are paid in the sence you are used to.  Think UK or USA in the 1800's.

I have seen really a lot of Thai people who are in poverty, overburdened with loans inspite of earnings that would allow them to live more than comfortably, but they can't due to bad decision making when it comes to money.

It's sad to see to many clueless posters slag off the prime minister for giving such advice that seems paternalistic and simplistic for many us foreginers, yet would help many indebted Thais if heeded.

Poverty isn't solved by just giving away free money to the poor.

Edited by manarak

My Tgf can’t plan far enough into the future to remember to take a towel to the bathroom because she’ll need to dry herself after... 

sounds like the government knows the debt situation is getting out of hand too.

The last paragraph showed that he realizes how many people in Thailand live from hand to mouth, however he provides no solution, sorry folks for you peasants life is tough.

No wait, he promised a counter fund, like God creating the world in 6 days,a bit short on detail.

Edited by soalbundy

19 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Have Thai's got a future that is the question me Lord........................................:coffee1:

Compared to neighbors Burma, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia?  I'd say they are doing great. 

6 minutes ago, amvet said:

Compared to neighbors Burma, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia?  I'd say they are doing great. 

Vietnam is rising fast but even if the countries you mentioned are a lot poorer it is like beggars arguing who is richer. There is no need for poverty in Thailand, it is relatively well off if the wealth was distributed a little fairer ( one could say that for the west as well although on a higher level of wealth for the general population) Corruption kills better than a bullet

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Vietnam is rising fast but even if the countries you mentioned are a lot poorer it is like beggars arguing who is richer. There is no need for poverty in Thailand, it is relatively well off if the wealth was distributed a little fairer ( one could say that for the west as well although on a higher level of wealth for the general population) Corruption kills better than a bullet

If that was the case everyone in Thailand would have died a hundred years ago.  It is not beggars arguing who is richer.  Compare average wages Thailand, Laos and Cambodia and Vietnam. But I do see your point.  Wealth will eventually be more evenly distributed.  But it's not going to be pretty.  

Edited by amvet

10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Makes you laugh at the mentality of the "leaders" when the majority of the population don't have two coins to rub together.

Maybe it was that 1-one coin he ment to be saved which will be easily eaten by inflation (many times) prior to pension....

Edited by ttrd

13 minutes ago, amvet said:

If that was the case everyone in Thailand would have died a hundred years ago.  It is not beggars arguing who is richer.  Compare average wages Thailand, Laos and Cambodia and Vietnam. But I do see your point.  Wealth will eventually be more evenly distributed.  But it's not going to be pretty.  

The wages in Thailand are still poor compared to the cost of living no matter how you compare them to other countries in S.E. Asia. No, wealth wont be more evenly distributed, they haven't managed that even in the West with a discerning public. It is like freedom, it can't be given,it has to be taken, something given can be taken away again. Many economists see the wealth gap world wide as the greatest danger to our civilization.

Edited by soalbundy

8 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

Clearly, the majority of low income people survive for today before considering their future. But do suitable pension and insurance  savings schemes exist here to provide an annuity later in life as in UK and elsewhere?

sort off, with a life insurance, but they don't come cheap.

1 hour ago, spyridon50 said:

The government should introduce compulsory superannuation where the employers put in a perentage of the employees wage in a superannuation fund so when its time to retire they will have some money

What about the poor farmers that do not have an employer and do not get a wage

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The wages in Thailand are still poor compared to the cost of living no matter how you compare them to other countries in S.E. Asia. No, wealth wont be more evenly distributed, they haven't managed that even in the West with a discerning public. It is like freedom, it can't be given,it has to be taken, something given can be taken away again. Many economists see the wealth gap world wide as the greatest danger to our civilization.

Smart phones.  Smart phones will do it.  They will do it in Iran and eventually Thailand. 

51 minutes ago, manarak said:

I have seen really a lot of Thai people who are in poverty, overburdened with loans inspite of earnings that would allow them to live more than comfortably, but they can't due to bad decision making when it comes to money.

It's sad to see to many clueless posters slag off the prime minister for giving such advice that seems paternalistic and simplistic for many us foreginers, yet would help many indebted Thais if heeded.

Poverty isn't solved by just giving away free money to the poor.

Agreed 100%. Thailand has a human capital problem above all else. There's copious amounts of information available for free on the internet and plentiful amounts of people just sitting around selling fruit or tending tiny and redundant shops. If Thai's were able and willing they would have mobilized hundreds of years ago and built a society more like we see in Japan, Korea, Europe etc... etc... Maybe that's where they're heading now but I'm very skeptical.

If the well is leaking, just put more water into it!

If your aircraft carrier is not in use, just buy some subs!

If the cross walk lights are not working, just paint the road!

If the beach is washing away, just get some sand from another beach!

13 minutes ago, amvet said:

Smart phones.  Smart phones will do it.  They will do it in Iran and eventually Thailand. 

Smart phones are a one off on credit. Credit is great for any government, keeps the plebs in line if they have debt. The UK runs on expensive mortgages and maxed out credit cards, who is going to cause trouble with that weight on your shoulders. It is the same with the farmers, they roll over their debt from year to year after the harvest. As Heinrich Boell wrote in his book (I translate the title) 'The bread of the early years' about working for a living in Germany not long after the war, 'the price of a loaf of bread is managed so that it is always a little more than you can afford'

Edited by soalbundy