Prayut’s change of status confirms election, says ex-MPs

rooster59

Prayut’s change of status confirms election, says ex-MPs

By THE SUNDAY NATION

CONSERVATIVE leaning politicians believe there will definitely be an election this year following recent moves made by Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, including his announcement that he is now a politician. However, they say it will be a hard-fought battle as all parties will vie for power.

Former Democrat MP Wirat Kalayasiri, who is also head of the party’s legal team, said considering the present circumstances, politics should proceed along the junta’s road map towards an election at the end of the year.

Wirat said Prayut’s recent announcement that he is now a politician with the past as a soldier strongly suggested that he was preparing to enter politics and wanted to keep the post of premier after the election.

Prayut may have announced himself to be a politician because he sees that there is strong resistance against the military – especially after his recent tussle with some locals during a trip to the South, which drew harsh criticism for the premier.

However, Wirat said it was good for Prayut to declare himself a politician, and being a politician from now on, he should listen more to the people and be in a good mood.

Juti Krairiksh, the party’s secretary-general, said politics in the near future would be harsh, as all concerned parties would vie for power.

His party, however, would try to focus on the fundamental needs of the people as well as solutions to poverty and inequality.

Juti said the party had no problem with the election date, but it wished to see the present government fix the problems that cannot be fixed by an elected government – especially legal moves solve inequality.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30335579

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-07

12 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

However, they say it will be a hard-fought battle as all parties will vie for power.

Off course it will. Everybody want´s the power, and will try to get it by all means possible. That, instead of concentrating on setting up a functioning system and a good equal and fair politic structure with real democracy in mind.

12 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

His party, however, would try to focus on the fundamental needs of the people as well as solutions to poverty and inequality.

Naturally, they are different. Now you heard it. This is a party you really can trust! :cheesy:

Interesting situation, rolls out the tanks declares himself Prime Minister then years later calls himself a politician!

I expect 97.56% will approve of him for PM, he's gonna be around for while you can be sure of that.

3 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Interesting situation, rolls out the tanks declares himself Prime Minister then years later calls himself a politician!

I expect 97.56% will approve of him for PM, he's gonna be around for while you can be sure of that.

Don't see the problem with that. Given what he had inherited and where he came from, I think he's done a respectable job. Some optics have to convert to reality but there is evidence that it has occurred. 

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

However, Wirat said it was good for Prayut to declare himself a politician, and being a politician from now on, he should listen more to the people and be in a good mood

Shouldn't an acting PM do the former anyway, no idea about what is intended about his mood, that certainly won't change.

6 hours ago, KhunMhee said:

So by making party registration near impossible to accomplish in the time given and then making yourself a candidate it would basically end up being a one party race. Not a bad idea if you're looking to win. 

He's been on the same political course of action as Hun Sen, they'll get on well.

I wonder if they are related?

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

Don't see the problem with that. Given what he had inherited and where he came from, I think he's done a respectable job. Some optics have to convert to reality but there is evidence that it has occurred. 

He needs to convince the majority of Thais most of whom are low income earners, it needs to be more than populist policy and handouts.

He and is cronies are not popular out in the sticks their standard of living is dropping and it never was particularly high anyway, under his regime things will get worse and I expect his only answer will be oppression.

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon1 said:

Thailand is much better now for most people than before he came to power. The beaches have been reclaimed, as have encroached parks. Massive corruption everywhere has been exposed. The economy is doing much better, exports are up. Tourism is booming and is much safer without the crowds of thugs protesting and roaming the streets. Prayuth might not be as popular as he was originally but it might just have enough support to win an election.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

He's been on the same political course of action as Hun Sen, they'll get on well.

I wonder if they are related?

Thaksin already is - by marriage of his Neice to Hun Sen's son.

1 hour ago, gamini said:

Thailand is much better now for most people than before he came to power. The beaches have been reclaimed, as have encroached parks. Massive corruption everywhere has been exposed. The economy is doing much better, exports are up. Tourism is booming and is much safer without the crowds of thugs protesting and roaming the streets. Prayuth might not be as popular as he was originally but it might just have enough support to win an election.

Well the real question is. ..

Could he win an election fairly ? Sure. Lol.

About as fairly as Suthep could win an election. 

2 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

let's say he wins the forthcoming election will he continue to wield Article 44?

According to the 2017 Constitution he remains NCPO Chief until the new (himself?) government (ambiguous but probably the Executive Branch composed of the PM and Cabinet) is "installed." Therefore, he will still have absolute power.

Let's say he loses the election. He should still have absolute power to the same aforementioned point.

2 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

If another party wins does the  "right" to use Article 44 pass to them?

No. As per the 2017 Constitution, Article 44 belongs solely to the NCPO that will dissolve when the new government is installed.

Enjoy Thai democracy!

I guess I'm living in an alternate dimension because none of the above has happened in the Thailand that I live in.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, gamini said:

. Prayuth might not be as popular as he was originally but it might just have enough support to win an election.

Doesn’t not popular meant that the people are not seeing the things that you mentioned benefitting them. Dah.Oh, not popular don’t win votes. Dah dah. 

There will be an election,when it suits him,he's working

hard on his popularity,expect giveaway's to people in

Issan,get them to vote for you ,and you win,Thaksin

found that out,and used Government money to get

their votes,were before politicians used their own

money to buy votes.

regards Worgeordie

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Wirat said Prayut’s recent announcement that he is now a politician with the past as a soldier strongly suggested that he was preparing to enter politics and wanted to keep the post of premier after the election.

Hardly the Sunday surprise that we were wanting, but another chance to assess General Prayut's claims, not to be a soldier, but a politician. We all knew that, you plonker, right from when you burst onto our Friday evening TV screens, 3 years ago, trying to con everyone that the only good person in the Junta takeover, was the army general, General Prayut; there's no need to go on shouting about it, as if no-one believes you. That 'me right - you wrong' policy was pretty convincing, especially when a few dissenters were called in for repairs, free-of-charge.

And, since then, we've had talk about you making the roads safer by banning pickup rear tray-riding. You've talked about that twice, now; last Songkran and the NY and twice you did nothing. As a shrewd POLITICIAN, what will you talk about doing on this year's Songkran run-in? Anything else, worth crowing about, since you've left the army?

You've spent money on submarines and heaven-knows-what else the country does not need. You've cited the Interior Affairs Minister, the one that has charge - in theory, at least - over the RTP as one of the threatened positions, pre-shuffle, and, beggar me, last weekend, whilst on your Phitsanulok retreat, you buy the Minister a puppy dog, as if to say 'sorry for putting the shits up you, old boy . . . it's like when I get angry at the press, it was only a 'power' act. Here, have a puppy dog. It's just pissed on me so you'll be OK for half-an-hour.'

Yes, there's politicians and there's soldiers and, everything considered, I'd say Prayut is neither . . . he's just a small-minded man, who's developed a liking for the trappings of power and who's determined that, by hook or by crook, he'll not be letting go of them.

"A politician with the past of a soldier" . . . I ask you! I think he thinks these things up in the bath.

So why has he consistently failed to call an election?

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app