British Passport @ Trendy - Time

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

I have just renewed mine from Perth Australia and it was all done online. You can even take your own photo to submit. Photo must be good though. Application went to Liverpool, posted old passport.  Went through in 3 weeks and old and new ones were posted to me seperately. Very easy to do. When i got it back I did my Australian re entry Visa online and that took 3 days. All very easy now and no stickers in passport

Thailand has a different procedure for replacement of a UK passport to almost every other country, so your experience is irrelevant here.

17 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Actually, the law is that you need to carry a copy. I, for one, won't risk carrying my actual passport around, regardless of whether it might go walkabout with the RTP, or elsewhere.

There is no law that says a copy is acceptable. If an authority wanted to see the original you could be detained util it is provided.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2018 at 2:32 PM, Happy enough said:

did mine at Trendy in March 2016 and had it back in less than 2 weeks

**i reckon you can be sure to have it back in less than 3 weeks. Most friends that have done it recently have all said about 2 weeks but see what others say who've done it more recently themselves to be sure

Similar.

Did mine early August at Trendy, was back before the end of the month

So, I agree, allow 3 weeks, more than enough time

• Like 1

When you renew your Passport in Thailand, you keep your old one until new one arrives as it is the Law to carry it at all times. Then you cut the corner off the old one.

Thats correct I did it before. I have 2 passports unfortunately the other is usually in the UK getting a visa for work

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The UK Consulate in CM closed a few years ago , so, no longer able to apply from CM

I thought VFS had an office in CM. Maybe its only for visas. I dont think you would use the consulate for passports anymore anyway. It has been outsourced for some time. Maybe an emergency travel dicument.

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, worgeordie said:

Do they/can they post it to you when it's finished,

or have you got to go and collect it?not easy when

you live in Chiang Mai.

Or could this be possible,send it to my daughter in

UK, use her address and get her to post it to Liverpool

or where ever they are doing them now ?

regards worgeordie

That's an option, but would take longer and be more costly.

I replaced my passport whilst visiting the UK, even though it had 18 months left. I lost 9 months, but gained another 10 years.

I posted it on a Tuesday and was stunned to get my new passport back on Thursday.

51 minutes ago, baneko said:

I thought VFS had an office in CM. Maybe its only for visas. I dont think you would use the consulate for passports anymore anyway. It has been outsourced for some time. Maybe an emergency travel dicument.

Indeed they do but, as you intimate, its services are only available to Thai nationals living locally who wish to apply for UK visas.

IMHO this reinforces the view expressed by a regular contributor to the lengthy thread which originated on here following the introduction of the current passport renewal procedures nearly 4 years ago, that we Brits living here in LOS are regarded by our "beloved" UK government as second-class citizens - and in comparison not only to our compatriots living back in Blighty but also to Thai nationals living in the Chiang Mai area who intend to visit or reside in the UK, it would appear! 

On 07/01/2018 at 1:32 PM, Happy enough said:

did mine at Trendy in March 2016 and had it back in less than 2 weeks

**i reckon you can be sure to have it back in less than 3 weeks. Most friends that have done it recently have all said about 2 weeks but see what others say who've done it more recently themselves to be sure

Just collected mine last week they told me "a month but will be before that" I got an email from Trendy that my passport was ready for collection only 2 weeks after my application.

4 hours ago, baneko said:

There must be a different procedure in OZ compared to over here I think?

Yes, the only way you can apply in Thailand is via VFS, but HMPO only operate a VFS-type operation in certain countries. I once found some policy document on either the FCO or HMPO website which indicated the criteria by which they decide how to deal with applications, but I can't remember what they were, and I can't be bothered to try and find it again.

The days are long gone when British Consulates around the world had a stock of blank passports in their safe, and when they got an application they would fish one out, stick it in a typewriter and fill in the details. The digital technology involved in a modern passport dictates that they have to be produced in central locations, and I can't believe that the British Embassy in Bangkok could provide a better service than what VFS are now giving. That of course doesn't explain why applicants in Thailand are required to schlepp to Bangkok twice to get a passport, while in Oz you can apply to the UK by post, but I guess the powers that be have a view about the relative security, probity and efficiency of public services in Oz compared with Thailand.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

On 07/01/2018 at 10:57 PM, Happy enough said:

i am fairly sure that it has to be picked up in person but hopefully someone can confirm that

From early December Vfs has been doing A mail back service instead of having to collect.

Visa applications etc. 

Private courier. 

NOT Thai post lol. 

3 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

From early December Vfs has been doing A mail back service instead of having to collect.

Visa applications etc. 

But not for passports. The old passport has to be shown when it is picked up so that it can be physically canceled.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

But not for passports. The old passport has to be shown when it is picked up so that it can be physically canceled.

Fair enough. 

I was not sure regarding passports. 

But like said, visas confirmation letters are now mailed. 

Because it's an electronic visa not a stamp. 

So all you were basically going back to Bkk for was the official letter. 

Well worth paying the mail out costs. 

Yes, the only way you can apply in Thailand is via VFS, but HMPO only operate a VFS-type operation in certain countries. I once found some policy document on either the FCO or HMPO website which indicated the criteria by which they decide how to deal with applications, but I can't remember what they were, and I can't be bothered to try and find it again.
The days are long gone when British Consulates around the world had a stock of blank passports in their safe, and when they got an application they would fish one out, stick it in a typewriter and fill in the details. The digital technology involved in a modern passport dictates that they have to be produced in central locations, and I can't believe that the British Embassy in Bangkok could provide a better service than what VFS are now giving. That of course doesn't explain why applicants in Thailand are required to schlepp to Bangkok twice to get a passport, while in Oz you can apply to the UK by post, but I guess the powers that be have a view about the relative security, probity and efficiency of public services in Oz compared with Thailand.

The only explaination why you must travel to BKK is that it is UK government policy. Is it that much of a hardship really?

Enjoy BKK for a couple of days every 2-5-10yrs for a renewal and buy a 48 pager. It will save you in the long run.

I am using an agent as I was unable to travel to BKK, that started on 18th Dec, my new passport has not yet appeared, I know that Christmas & New Year will have extended the process, just wondering when I should start to get worried ?  I need to extend my permission to stay (retirement) by the end of this month.

4 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I am using an agent as I was unable to travel to BKK, that started on 18th Dec, my new passport has not yet appeared, I know that Christmas & New Year will have extended the process, just wondering when I should start to get worried ?  I need to extend my permission to stay (retirement) by the end of this month.

It has now been a little over 3 weeks so I think I would be contacting the agent about it now.

11 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

What date did the agent lodge your application with VfS ?

You could ask the agent for your old passport back in case you decide to do a one month extension pending arrival of the new passport.

Edited by Jip99

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You could ask the agent for your old passport back in case you decide to do a one month extension pending arrival of the new passport.

How would he get a one month extension of his extension based upon retirement? There is not one he could apply for.

16 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

If he is married to a Thai national, he could apply for a 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting his wife (assuming, of course, that there is sufficient unexpired time remaining on his old passport). That is the only course of action I can think of that would be open to him - so, if he doesn't have a Thai wife, tough.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Hopefully not too far off topic, my permission to stay expires beginning of Feb, I have most of the documents and paperwork ready to go, my question is, is it necessary to get previous visas etc moved to my new passport prior to renewal or wait until I apply for my new extension, just wondering how immigration would view this ?     

Edited by Golden Triangle

On 07/01/2018 at 7:27 PM, Happy enough said:

i am fairly sure that it has to be picked up in person but hopefully someone can confirm that

They made me pick up. That was Apr 2016.

Its apparently because you have take youe old PP to have its ears clipped.

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Hopefully not too far off topic, my permission to stay expires beginning of Feb, I have most of the documents and paperwork ready to go, my question is, is it necessary to get previous visas etc moved to my new passport prior to renewal or wait until I apply for my new extension, just wondering how immigration would view this ?     

You could get the stamps transferred to your new passport on the same day you apply for the extension. They will do the transfer before doing the extension in your new passport.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

They made me pick up. That was Apr 2016.

Its apparently because you have take youe old PP to have its ears clipped.

You can authorize somebody to pickup your new passport but they have to have the old one when they do it.