Nissan X-Trail 4WD - Intial thoughts

Kinnock

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

That's a good question.  We've only used 4WD once since buying it, and that was due to a spectacular failure of Google Maps that led us into a muddy track up a steep hill.  We also left it in 'Auto' mode once on a long trip, and it had a major impact on the fuel consumption - so 2WD mode is it standard state for 99.9% of its use.

I also think the 2WD X-Trail is spectacular value for money.

But having said all that - I'd still go for 4WD again if I was buying today (and I'd also still go for an X-Trail as there's still nothing in the sector to beat it in my view). Why 4WD?  Well I could say that it was very useful the one time we really needed the extra traction - but I'm pretty sure 2WD would have been OK with a bit of sliding and wheel spinning.  The real reason is that the 4WD just makes it a 'proper' SUV in my mind.  Not logical, there's cost and weight implications, but I just like to know it's there if I really needed it.  I also think resale may be better.

Thanks for replying  and for your message. 

I'm  favouring the 2wd version as we never use 4wd on our fortuner, but the wife reckons a 4wd version of the xtrail  will be easier to sell on and will hold its value better than the 2wd but i have no idea if her theory is correct or not.

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Thanks for replying  and for your message. 

I'm  favouring the 2wd version as we never use 4wd on our fortuner, but the wife reckons a 4wd version of the xtrail  will be easier to sell on and will hold its value better than the 2wd but i have no idea if her theory is correct or not.

The 2WD is the best value new.  The odd thing is I've never seen a 2WD drive X-Trail on the road in Thailand, but I've seen loads in Europe.