Oprah Winfrey - does speech provide clues about presidential run?

webfact

Oprah Winfrey - does speech provide clues about presidential run?

Anthony Zurcher, North America reporter

During the opening of the 2018 Golden Globe Awards programme, host Seth Meyers toyed with the idea of a possible Oprah Winfrey presidential campaign. When Winfrey took the stage later that night, the speech she gave was no joke.

There are reports emerging in the US that she is actively entertaining the notion.

For years the queen of US talk shows, she has produced and acted in movies and now runs a cable TV channel.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42586730

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-01-09

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not a Trump fan at all, but if he's shown that a citizen without an umbilical to the established party hierarchy can get elected, he's done the USA a tremendous service. 

Hopefully, the next one will be one we can admire instead of loathing.  But without his massive ego, thick skin and off the wall negotiation manipulation skills, that door wouldn't be open.

Not so sure about Oprah, though I did predict her running- rather tongue in cheek.  She may make a great president.

Edited by impulse

Oprah would be a terrible president.

If she runs in 2020 - it'll secure Trumps second term.

Is this the best and brightest that the US has to offer? Clinton, Trump, Oprah? 

I think this is the end of democracy as we know it. Oprah is in no way qualified to be the leader of the free world. It's just the flip side of the Trump coin.

President is NOT an entry-level position.

Edited by Dagnabbit

I think the US have gone mad .  Why do we have politicians in the first place? To run the country , not all of them are doing a good job , but they are politicians , this is their life , not a part time job . 

Businessmen want to do their business, talkshow hosts want to entertain , actors wanna act , politicians are there to make sure the laws are working and run the country . All the countries in the world understand this except in the US and maybe N-Korea and some other weird countries. 

Can be any worse then anything that has come along since Kennedy was assassinated.  Another billionaire aspiring for the White House. 
As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for.  But sure, why not. I'm personally finished participating in the Presidential Pageantry Show. 

5 hours ago, akirasan said:

I thought liberals hated when TV stars with no political experience ran for president.

USA copying India where being an ex actor/actress is often on the CV of politicians.

Nothing to do with competence.

Just now, TommyUK1960 said:

Just checked out the betting odds for Oprah and they don't think she has much of a chance @ 16/1

I already have a bet for Donald Trump to get re-elected @ 5/2

That makes sense because she hasn't even made the decision to run yet. trump might not run for a second term either, if he makes it that far, but any incumbent president, even a mentally unstable clown, has a built in advantage being an incumbent. 

Maybe there is something wrong with me but the speech Oprah just gave that makes so many people feel she should be president now didn't exactly give me any goosebumps. It was alright but I'd like to see someone that's actually QUALIFIED in the oval office again. Not just a celebrity. 

On the other hand, I can see that she would win against trump, and I'd feel a lot more comfortable with her in office than trump or Pence.

But let's not give up yet on other non-celebrity candidates.

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Headline could have been:

“Seasoned Actress and Talk Show Host Reads Well From Teleprompter”.

Are there any other qualifications needed to elect a modern day POTUS?

That said, it certainly was a rousing speech.

I don't see don't molest people as a quite a fleshed out presidential platform. Again, compared to trump, that has a long record of molesting people, yeah, pretty good. 

5 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Oprah would be a terrible president.

If she runs in 2020 - it'll secure Trumps second term.

Is this the best and brightest that the US has to offer? Clinton, Trump, Oprah? 

I think this is the end of democracy as we know it. Oprah is in no way qualified to be the leader of the free world. It's just the flip side of the Trump coin.

President is NOT an entry-level position.

If a three legged donkey ran for President next time they would beat Trump.  However I do agree that politics in the USA have now become a complete farce.  I really hope that Oprah doesn't run.  Obviously she would be a thousand times better than Trump but it would split the country even further.

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

If a three legged donkey ran for President next time they would beat Trump.  However I do agree that politics in the USA have now become a complete farce.  I really hope that Oprah doesn't run.  Obviously she would be a thousand times better than Trump but it would split the country even further.

I basically agree but I don't see Winfrey as all that divisive. I think she would be rather unifying and that's one positive thing I can see about her potential candidacy. But I still hope she doesn't. The celebrity thing should best be a one time FLUKE. 

4 hours ago, balo said:

I think the US have gone mad .  Why do we have politicians in the first place? To run the country , not all of them are doing a good job , but they are politicians , this is their life , not a part time job . 

The founding fathers intended for good citizens to leave their plows and their shops, come to DC for a finite term, serve their country, then go back to their plows and their shops to live in the world they created while in service.  They didn't intend to see lifetime politicians latching on to the government tit, with their noses so firmly planted in the trough that they're willing to do anything to stay there- no matter what it costs the country. 

So, yes.  Politics in the USA is supposed to be a temp job.  Not part time, but not a lifetime.

3 hours ago, TommyUK1960 said:

Just checked out the betting odds for Oprah and they don't think she has much of a chance @ 16/1

I already have a bet for Donald Trump to get re-elected @ 5/2

What were Trump's odds 3 years before the primaries?  I don't know anyone who would have jumped on 16:1.