Road Work in Thailand

amdy2206

Over the Christmas period I drove from Nong Khai to Bangkok ( and further). I have never seen so much road construction / maybe rail / new concrete pillars etc anywhere before. It was taking place everywhere! Is Mr 44, and the Junta, trying to spend all available money as quickly as possible? There must be billions being spent on the many, many transport schemes I drove past. 

about time they started fixing the roads, its good that someone finally has the balls to make them do it, the state of them is shocking. As long as it isnt just a quick fix that will crumble in 6 months its all worth it

In the area I live there has been large road building projects for the past 10 years. The only difference I have seen is the construction is now being done by the military (solders in uniform working the machines).

Whoever builds the roads they do not last more than a year before they start to fall apart. Last year the army rebuilt a road near our house I had been driving down for the last 13 years, its now unusable after collapsing in four places.

The locals say the army get paid good money to build the roads but spend as little as possible and take the rest of the money.

We live just outside the ring road in Khon Kaen . The ring road and all the other major roads are excellent , so I know they can build a good road. But the road leading to our village about 4 or 5 kilos  is a pothole mindfield. Traversing it is  like a video game, weaving left and right trying to find a pasable section. A trip that should take 5 min takes double the time, never mind the danger of damage to the car.

About a year ago while I was away I was told it was repaved, by the time I came back , it was almost the same. The wife says that the guy who fixes the road simply does a quick patch up job and take the money.

Are different roads maintained by different entities in Thailand?

19 hours ago, seajae said:

about time they started fixing the roads, its good that someone finally has the balls to make them do it, the state of them is shocking. As long as it isnt just a quick fix that will crumble in 6 months its all worth it

Er...no I don't think that's what the OP means. They aren't fixing roads they are making new ones...which will, I admit, probably need fixing after the first heavy downpour, Ha!

We live north of Chiang Mai and recently did a trip down to Sukothai, cut across to Tak then on to Mae Sot on the border with Burma.

We experienced  road  works all the way.

From  Tak to to Mae Sot which is about 80kms they are building a two lane road massive project,  bridges, cutting away mountain sides etc.

I think this is something to do with a new economic zone they are creating.

I did read some time ago that the Junta had ordered the state agencies to proceed with projects for which they had been allocated funds in order to stimulate the economy.

Seems they like to sit on the money cannot think why !!! 

Re the standard of road building not my field but from what I observed and the equipment they were using didn’t seem much different than what I have see in Australia not a case of just applying  another layer of tar or whatever they use as often happens locally.

I think Sebbo is probably right it’s the trucks and and amount of traffic that does a lot of the damage they always seemed to be re surfacing the few motorways we had in Sydney.

I`ve traveled a couple of different roads the 90 plus km to Ubon over the last fifteen months and for many miles on both roads they are duplicating the highway.  With all the drainage and bridgework it must be costing billions and doesn't seem to be the army at work.

yep, it is the heavy trucks, plus the soil and the size of the compact rollers used, simple example many rollers used are 20 tones or less, most big trucks are 40 tones up, double the weight with only narrow tyers in contact with the road usually the first heavy truck to go over a new-made road leaves wheel tracks in the road, next there is a thing called over compression by compression rollers, yes believe it or not this happens a lot when soil lab samples are not tested ( this point worries me alot about fast rail footings) what can and does happen is that the soil can be over compressed which resaults in the soil becoming a crumbling mass instead of a solid mass. I could go on and on only touched the edge so to speak. I worked on roads many years in central queensland.

The difference is: “The Junta” sees the need for better infrastructure and builds it. New and/or wider roads and a new railroad are being built there. In some villages road signs have been put up, pedestrian zones with yellow warning light have been made near schools too. “The Junta” understands changes need to be done for Thailand to keep momentum when it comes to work places being created and foreign investments in industri made!

16 minutes ago, Pisdjuk said:

The difference is: “The Junta” sees the need for better infrastructure and builds it. New and/or wider roads and a new railroad are being built there. In some villages road signs have been put up, pedestrian zones with yellow warning light have been made near schools too. “The Junta” understands changes need to be done for Thailand to keep momentum when it comes to work places being created and foreign investments in industri made!

It is wonderful that they are building new ones but what about the ones we already have? The road leading to our village is more pothole than road.

In the morning when everyone is going to work , It is surreal to see all the cars, trucks and scooters weaving in and out of the potholes . 

I am not in Thailand right now and I don't have a picture to show you, but I don't think I need to. I am sure you have seen similar. When I am back in a few weeks I should take a video, set it to music and posted on YouTube, it will go viral.

Personally I think it is because there is more money to be made in new projects than maintaining existing infrastructure. 

28 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It is wonderful that they are building new ones but what about the ones we already have? The road leading to our village is more pothole than road.

In the morning when everyone is going to work , It is surreal to see all the cars, trucks and scooters weaving in and out of the potholes . 

I am not in Thailand right now and I don't have a picture to show you, but I don't think I need to. I am sure you have seen similar. When I am back in a few weeks I should take a video, set it to music and posted on YouTube, it will go viral.

Personally I think it is because there is more money to be made in new projects than maintaining existing infrastructure. 

About one year ago I visited a friend in a small village not far from Korat. It was dreadful. More than half hour from main road to his house.

Last month I visited him again, and Wow, it was all fixed. So have faith:)

I also can confirm that constructions are everywhere, and I like that it's finally done. It's not all bad with PM.

3 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

About one year ago I visited a friend in a small village not far from Korat. It was dreadful. More than half hour from main road to his house.

Last month I visited him again, and Wow, it was all fixed. So have faith:)

I also can confirm that constructions are everywhere, and I like that it's finally done. It's not all bad with PM.

They fixed our road also, They filled the holes with dirt , packed it in , put a veneer of finish on it and it looked good, 

They got paid (god knows how much) probably used half of it to pay off the inspectors (if there were any)  and a few months later the road looked the same. T.I.T.

image.png.d1f1c588979dbf56442360b95433cc55.png

That's the ring road , and where the yellow pin is where we are, it is very nice in many respects , nature, quite, county living only minutes from Khon Kaen and all it has to offer. But as you said   about Korat, getting there is like the" last yard" in american football. I guess it could be a blessing in disguise because it keeps overdevelopment out ,

so I should be careful what I wish for  . but it does not stop from being frustrating. 

PS: me and the wife always have fun driving it, trying to see how many we can miss, it is like a video game . Wife is very bad at it, I always tell her to try and hit them, that way she might  miss some of them LOL

5 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Er...no I don't think that's what the OP means. They aren't fixing roads they are making new ones...which will, I admit, probably need fixing after the first heavy downpour, Ha!

I drove on the new road under construction alongside the Mekong to Chiang Saen, and it was just bitumen on top of compacted red dirt. That road is supposed to take the trucks going to/ from Laos, but it's not going to last long with no proper base.

Concrete might have lasted longer, but obviously being done on the cheap.

The Military always sees road building as a priority for obvious reasons, no matter which country you are talking about. The quality of the new roads is exceptional in my opinion.

This work can only help the country, and it's high time the work was carried out, In my opinion. Overloaded, over speeding, articulated trucks, slewing round corners, and braking and accelerating hard will tear up any road.

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

They fixed our road also, They filled the holes with dirt , packed it in , put a veneer of finish on it and it looked good, 

They got paid (god knows how much) probably used half of it to pay off the inspectors (if there were any)  and a few months later the road looked the same. T.I.T.

image.png.d1f1c588979dbf56442360b95433cc55.png

That's the ring road , and where the yellow pin is where we are, it is very nice in many respects , nature, quite, county living only minutes from Khon Kaen and all it has to offer. But as you said   about Korat, getting there is like the" last yard" in american football. I guess it could be a blessing in disguise because it keeps overdevelopment out ,

so I should be careful what I wish for  . but it does not stop from being frustrating. 

PS: me and the wife always have fun driving it, trying to see how many we can miss, it is like a video game . Wife is very bad at it, I always tell her to try and hit them, that way she might  miss some of them LOL

From what I understand the local “councils” are responsible for local roads and when they get the money you can use your own imagination as to the method of selection of the “contractors”

Here in the North they seem to use concrete on the local roads and literally lay it by hand straight from the truck.