what's going on with the Thai Baht

11 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

As expats we have our finger somewhat on the pulse of what is happening here, a tourist from London, Paris, Berlin, couldn't care less about politics or the morality of their host countries leaders, they want sea, sun and fun for three weeks.

as an expat living in Thailand i care less about its politics or leaders than friends of mine who regularly spend their holidays here.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Naam said:

as an expat living in Thailand i care less about its politics or leaders than friends of mine who regularly spend their holidays here.

I didn't say we care, just that we know, or think we know, what is going on. I view what is going on here with amused disinterest, with the exception of the exchange rate. 

Just now, HAKAPALITA said:

Come on, a Thai Bhts worth nothing in the real world, what they got anyone wants.?. Perhaps Rice and they scam the Farmers.

I think you have been mislead, alone their motor industry is larger than that of the UK, then there is their electrical industry, clothing industry etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

I think you have been mislead, alone their motor industry is larger than that of the UK, then there is their electrical industry, clothing industry etc.

Naturally, because its not run/ controlled by Thais , perhaps they should take over from the Government.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

But, we all know that is the furthest thing from reality. 

well, maybe second most thing.   some of your speculations might take first prize.

the world is full of stock and currency experts.    funny how few of them are millionaires.  

19 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Most of them are....

sure dave , anything you say.     guess that includes the ones giving all the expert opinions here on TV.     and of course all the stock and currency brokers.    hmmmm

lots of millionaires

Edited by rumak

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:
4 hours ago, Naam said:

I didn't say we care, just that we know, or think we know, what is going on. I view what is going on here with amused disinterest, with the exception of the exchange rate. 

Spider Mike seems to care.

• Haha 1

exchange rates this date

Australian 22.29

GBP 40.85

Euro 35.65

US 31.45

According to

https://www.ofx.com/en-us/forex-news/historical-exchange-rates/monthly-average-rates/

20-year Monthly Average Rates

Australian 25.073927

GB Pound sterling 53.746167

Euro 42.689285

US 33.336562

I'm not real familiar with financial events local to others (ie Brexit, Aus housing bubble, etc.) but in US the earlier 2000s bubble thru crash probably skews and before that the 1990s Thai baht wasn't floated so maybe not even worth looking there. Here then are the latest 10 year averages

10-year Monthly Average Rates

Australian 28.088595

GBP 48.77557

Euro 40.810466

US 32.597824

By that the US to baht has remained relatively steady. 

Here's %s currently down from 10-year average

Australian 23.0201%

GBP 17.686%

Euro 13.4984%

US 3.58427%

On 2/9/2019 at 10:26 AM, spidermike007 said:

One positive outcome from all of this latest election news, will be that the country will likely become a pariah worldwide, and the baht could take a major hit. Not a good thing for the Thai people. But, for once, good news for ex-pats. 

The usual error of mistaking your wishes for reality. In the markets sometimes referred to as confirmation bias. If anybody had followed your political bias these last few years and applied them to their currency interests they would have lost a packet. But I doubt you have any skin in the game and don't keep accounts at all, so the same outpourings will continue.

• Like 1

So do you want the Baht to drop just to feed the poor from the West who escape from their homelands to find refuge in Thailand? 

Isn't that a disgusting thought? Kind of reminds the old Colonials, doesn't it? The thoughts and actions till exists - the ignorants are blind to the gradual fall of the 'Supreme' West.

Why is there such an exodus from the West arriving in the undeloped world - especially the poor? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ravip said:

So do you want the Baht to drop just to feed the poor from the West who escape from their homelands to find refuge in Thailand? 

Isn't that a disgusting thought? Kind of reminds the old Colonials, doesn't it? The thoughts and actions till exists - the ignorants are blind to the gradual fall of the 'Supreme' West.

Why is there such an exodus from the West arriving in the undeloped world - especially the poor? 

Exodus from the West? Really, I hadn't noticed. Seems like there's more and more every time I go back. 

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Exodus from the West? Really, I hadn't noticed. Seems like there's more and more every time I go back. 

Please tell me what you think of the majority of posters herein bashing the sh** out of anything to do with Thailand and in the same breath crying their biased eyes blind about the Baht getting stronger and the immigration getting strict. 

Try to see the correct picture - it's difficult, I know. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ravip said:

Please tell me what you think of the majority of posters herein bashing the sh** out of anything to do with Thailand and in the same breath crying their biased eyes blind about the Baht getting stronger and the immigration getting strict. 

Try to see the correct picture - it's difficult, I know. 

Hmmm, you fancy yourself with a flair for the dramatic huh?

I think the guys bashing and moaning childish. 

Getting back to the Exodus from the West...

One positive outcome from all of this latest election news, will be that the country will likely become a pariah worldwide, and the baht could take a major hit. Not a good thing for the Thai people. But, for once, good news for ex-pats. 

Ever heard about the habits / behaviour of vultures? 

Do you really mean by your statement that there are so many beggars from the West waiting for TH or other '3rd world undeveloped' countries to go bankrupt, for them to spend their old age and die? Really and truly?  

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Hmmm, you fancy yourself with a flair for the dramatic huh?

I think the guys bashing and moaning childish. 

Getting back to the Exodus from the West...

Definitely not.  I am not dramatic at all. Just have a liking for the plain truth.  You might find my statements crude, but the absolute truth is crude. You can choose the easy path by been blind to the truth - which many do. The ignore function is for those.  555 555.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ravip said:

Definitely not.  I am not dramatic at all. Just have a liking for the plain truth.  You might find my statements crude, but the absolute truth is crude. You can choose the easy path by been blind to the truth - which many do. The ignore function is for those.  555 555.

I didn't say you were dramatic, I said you fancied yourself as such. 

555 555 555 555 55555555555555555555555555 555!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I didn't say you were dramatic, I said you fancied yourself as such. 

555 555 555 555 55555555555555555555555555 555!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I neither have a flair nor am I dramatic.  But you are a joker, I see. Good night  Sir. Slumber land is the best - no exchange rate no immigration. 

1 minute ago, ravip said:

I neither have a flair nor am I dramatic.  But you are a joker, I see. Good night  Sir. Slumber land is the best - no exchange rate no immigration. 

Actually, I prefer my Simmonds Beautyrest Pillow-Top to that Slumberland crap. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ravip said:

Ever heard about the habits / behaviour of vultures? 

Do you really mean by your statement that there are so many beggars from the West waiting for TH or other '3rd world undeveloped' countries to go bankrupt, for them to spend their old age and die? Really and truly?  

No. Not at all what I meant. What I was implying is that it could end up meaning the long awaited correction of the Thai baht could finally happen. But who knows?

No. Not at all what I meant. What I was implying is that it could end up meaning the long awaited correction of the Thai baht could finally happen. But who knows?

Have you looked at a 10 year chart? There is no “Baht Bubble”.

You are correct, no one knows.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

According to Bloomberg this morning the Baht is only going to get stronger, GDP is rising, strong fundamentals, high current account surplus, tourism recovering, less susceptibility to the US-China spat than its Asian rivals etc. The Baht is turbo-charged according to the report.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

According to Bloomberg this morning the Baht is only going to get stronger, GDP is rising, strong fundamentals, high current account surplus, tourism recovering, less susceptibility to the US-China spat than its Asian rivals etc. The Baht is turbo-charged according to the report.

I wonder how many people at Bloomberg are buying Baht.

Over half of managed mutual funds do not outperform their corrosponding sector indices, and fund managers generally earn significanly more than finnacial journalists...

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

And that is thanks to foreign tourism, FDI : foreigners setting up the vast manufacturing regions for exports. The foreign engineers who are responsible for the bridges, skytrains and subways that Thais are not capable of. Without all the foreign input above Thailand would be a basket country with only rice and girls for exports. A thank you is in order that will never be from these xenophobic people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1