Exclusive: France expects UK to pay up, take more refugees to keep border - official

webfact

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Dealing with mass migrations can be expensive.  Interesting to see which countries are the strongest magnets.  Germany, Sweden and Britain.

To get closer to a longer term policy, I suggest Europeans try to encourage a zero-population-growth policies in source countries.   It would me met with howls of racism, etc. ....but it's got to be started sometime in the future.

China did a similar thing in recent decades, with its 'one family, one child' policy.

Free condoms, no questions asked, for all ages, ....would be a start.

Additionally, tube tying provided free by medical clinics - for any man or woman.

Later, (and this would be v. controversial) forced sterilization for any man or woman who has sired two children.   

"China did a similar thing in recent decades, with its 'one family, one child' policy."

Your idea was a bad one [and I'm being polite here] from the start and that sentence is all the confirmation one needs to know this. 

they could stop sending out boats along with the italian coastguard to rescue them and just turn them back and you'd stem alot of the source right there. if they knew they couldn't cross they would soon stop attempting too. the vast majority of these are not refugees. they've already screwed up most major towns in the UK and sending unaccompanied children is a joke. most were single adult males. brexit means brexit so bring the border back to the UK shores and protect them. the EU can look after those on the mainland. merkel invited them so she can deal with them

At the end of the day, France needs to stop the economic migrants before they first enter their borders.

If they're concerned about 'refugees' actually being economic migrants (as is indicated by so many apparently crossing France to reach their preferred  destination - the UK :sad:) - take this up with the EU/Merkel.

Meanwhile, the UK populace needs to confront their govt. as to why the UK is so popular for economic migrants......

9 hours ago, webfact said:

France expects Britain to agree to take more asylum seekers and pay more for border security in order to maintain a frontier on the French side of the Channel

Who pays for the cost to maintain a French frontier on the English side (Kent) of the border?

5 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

How about France doesnt let them in in the first place ,Talk to Merkal ,Macron ,not us .

26 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Who pays for the cost to maintain a French frontier on the English side (Kent) of the border?

Again, I'd refer you to the post above....

Don't allow unproven refugees into France - no problem.

Edited by dick dasterdly

This has been on the table for a very long time, even before Macron was in charge.  Just more from a media trying to fill newspapers when nothing much is happening on the brexit front.  Not fake news maybe but certainly old news.  Best to wait for some real news before getting your knickers in a twist.  How about Nigel Farage now saying that a second referendum is not such a bad idea? :laugh:

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Good question.  I would imagine the UK would be responsible for the English border on the mainland and that France would pay for their border in France.  Outside of the EU we would both need borders with customs etc.  

9 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

That makes it particularly tough for Italy and Greece.

Yet Spain and Hungary (also border countries) are doing a rather good job of keeping the tide at bay.

It looks as tho the UK is a desirable destination for large portions of economic migrants.  Could UK's lax policies on giving welfare be a factor?   Methinks yes.

Interestingly there are some old Napoleonic era forts that were built as man made island fortresses. All illegal migrants should be processed via these islands, supplemented by prison ships anchored off them. No freebies unless duly accepted for asylum.

No asylum seeker should be accepted unless processed in the first EU country they arrive in and accepted as a bona fide asylum case. And then the only get the chance to mover around the EU after achieving citizenship of the EU country they arrived in.

All this roaming around trying to cherry pick which country has the best welfare is nonsense. France should not be accepting these illegals and should certainly not be trying to shunt them to someone else.

Time France grew a pair instead of it's usual two faced hypocrisy of trying to shove the problem to someone else and then claiming they're humanitarians!

Aussie uses off shore detention centers and warns illegal entrants will never be allowed to stay. We should learn from them.

8 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I understand that in some post-war terraced houses in the UK, the attic space was open from one end of the street to the other. By this logic, if someone breaks into a neighbour's house then makes their way to mine via the communal attic, then I should hold my neighbour liable for any losses I should suffer. Surely the defence of my property should be up to me to organise rather than expect my neighbour to protect me?

You make a good reason to get rid of our irresponsable neighbours.

9 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

That makes it particularly tough for Italy and Greece.

Yet Spain and Hungary (also border countries) are doing a rather good job of keeping the tide at bay.

It looks as tho the UK is a desirable destination for large portions of economic migrants.  Could UK's lax policies on giving welfare be a factor?   Methinks yes.

Well it's certainly not the weather or the food.

I understand that in some post-war terraced houses in the UK, the attic space was open from one end of the street to the other. By this logic, if someone breaks into a neighbour's house then makes their way to mine via the communal attic, then I should hold my neighbour liable for any losses I should suffer. Surely the defence of my property should be up to me to organise rather than expect my neighbour to protect me?
I would say you put a barrier up between your house and the one that is in your street job done burgler stays in last place where there are no barriers .France in this case .As Bert Bloggs says talk to Merkal or put a barrier up yourself France so they dont get in

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Unfortunately, The prime example that you give, China's 'one child policy', has resulted in both gender inequality and an unhealthy bulge at the top of the 'population by age' pyramid and is now being discarded by the Chinese authorities.

The rest of your suggestions all have human rights issues.

It has now been well established that good education and economic growth, resulting in a raise in the overall living standards are key to both the lowering of birth rates and reducing the urge to migrate.

Good governance is, of course vital, if such goals are to be achieved. 

Not destabilizing their countries and bombing the crap out of them, directly and by proxi. could also go a long way towards eliminating the refugee situation. 

I dont know, it's such a crazy idea it might work.

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Unfortunately, The prime example that you give, China's 'one child policy', has resulted in both gender inequality and an unhealthy bulge at the top of the 'population by age' pyramid and is now being discarded by the Chinese authorities.

The rest of your suggestions all have human rights issues.

It has now been well established that good education and economic growth, resulting in a raise in the overall living standards are key to both the lowering of birth rates and reducing the urge to migrate.

Good governance is, of course vital, if such goals are to be achieved. 

Dream On my friend. 

39 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Why do so many migrants want to get to the UK? Language. Many migrants speak some English, very few Hungarian. The downside of having the international language.

And many have relatives who live in the UK already.  You will find them working in the hospitals or delivering parcels or working as carers etc. etc.

17 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Dealing with mass migrations can be expensive.  Interesting to see which countries are the strongest magnets.  Germany, Sweden and Britain.

To get closer to a longer term policy, I suggest Europeans try to encourage a zero-population-growth policies in source countries.   It would me met with howls of racism, etc. ....but it's got to be started sometime in the future.

China did a similar thing in recent decades, with its 'one family, one child' policy.

Free condoms, no questions asked, for all ages, ....would be a start.

Additionally, tube tying provided free by medical clinics - for any man or woman.

Later, (and this would be v. controversial) forced sterilization for any man or woman who has sired two children.   

Perhaps restricting welfare payments to so called Refugees. Here in NZ I have met some of Our so called who are working here but plan to go to Germany because welfare is better than NZ. These are a minority but the welfare systems in France, Germany and the UK are the attraction.

14 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

In this case, as the open border policy is Europe wide, I guess that the lax neighbour was the EU rather than France? If I was a bloody-minded Frenchman I might complain that all these illegal immigrants flocking across my country trying to get to the Chunnel are doing so because of the British - and that the British should do something at source to stop these people trying to get there.

Well you are not a Frenchman, but you are a Remoaner, could that be the reason for your approach to this problem?

7 hours ago, nontabury said:

Well you are not a Frenchman, but you are a Remoaner, could that be the reason for your approach to this problem?

I don't think so - unless you are suggesting that a sense of moral obligation is the preserve only of those of us who recognise the idiocy of Brexit?

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't think so - unless you are suggesting that a sense of moral obligation is the preserve only of those of us who recognise the idiocy of Brexit?

AKA the minority.

Edited by evadgib

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:
6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

AKA the minority.

Edited 1 minute ago by evadgib

Well, call me old fashioned, but I choose to retain my morality even if it means being in the minority.