Retirees in Thailand

Polaky

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2018 at 12:54 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Great to hear Mars

I also had property but had to get rid of it as the Aussie government takes 32.5c in every dollar, plus slugs you capital gains tax.

Get this, my accountant of 30 years who is brilliant, advised me to transfer the property's into a self managed superannuation fund SMSF and he could do some fancy and not have any tax payable on the property's, with my reply being, and what, wait for the government to one day wake up and say, hey, we have rounded up all the sheep, now is the time to hit the SMSF's, would never happen, he said, well guess what, I found out yesterday by a mate that anyone who has property in a SMSF is now slugged capital gains tax from end of financial year 30 June 2017 when they sell the asset....lol, that is going to hurt a lot of people, governments, can't trust them.

By selling the property's and putting half the money in the stock market, I am paying zero tax, the balance is taxed at 10% on the interest, which is chicken feed.

Yup, I am enjoying the sun like you while my pockets keep filling up 555

Don't know what the UK government does with property there, but am sure governments all around the world look at what other governments in other countries do, so watch your back mate, and keep enjoying until they pull the rug from under our feet to feed their welfare systems which they should seriously be looking at, i.e. they got ripped 2.8 billion dollars from fraudsters on the system last year on the system, yet they still want to hit those of us who made it and have left...lol 

Nice one mate....Sorry for tardy response, but been offline for a while.

You're right about the Governments catching up.....right now as an expat (living outside UK for at least 6 months pa no Cap Gains Tax on investments including properties...(but with many conditions)....

The tax game continues and is a moving target, but you have to get the right accountant(S) to keep abreast!

Keep it going mate. :smile:

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, Number 6 said:

My first trip at 32. I'd no real interest in Thailand, in 1992 it already felt done. I enjoyed the next decade bouncing around Cambodia, Lao, Myanmar, Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, India and N. Pakistan. Ten years later I was softening. Cut my circuit to half those countries added States and started visiting my parents annually.

Used Pattaya as an off season base from 2003-07 until influx of Russians and young British thugs showed up. Started spending all my time in Thailand on islands in the Andaman in high, cool, dry season and travelling other countries during low season.

Met my wife. Decided to settle, it became a thing, then 2.5 yrs later a marriage. Few yrs later I decided to teach English bc I could not afford both of us not working. Then, if I'm stuck in BKK might as well work. I'll retire from school (2nd career I guess) in a few years.

I'm winding down investments, moving money, planing for early social security. Finish up 60-62.

I respect and enjoy Thailand but it's a hot and cold running affair. Thailand is no longer cheap, it's just cheaper than US. I'm floored at supermarket prices in BKK and values in real estate.

We are staying on bc the US is a sad, broken, expensive place. Healthcare is crap here but even worse in US. It's become a nation of hidden taxes and petty fees. Seems like everyone is on disability. I've no idea where we'd return to. CA too expensive and extreme. Rest of the country cold, expensive, landlocked and or just crazy.

If if weren't married I could be easily banging stunning women in their 30-40s, even a fewfar younger. Amazing what happens when you put on decent clothes and on mass transit indicating you've got a job $$$ (and yes, I make great money for a teacher and have since my second year).

I've been an expatriate so long, I just can't go back. The whole US experience is valid and just weird. 27 years abroad.

1. My wife. My in-laws are ok too. Could be worse.

2. If we went back, when I died, she'd have to sell up and come back to her bro/sis here anyway

3. I love the vibrancy and being around younger, active people

4. Food is cheap and delicious. Easy to grab on the run. Food everywhere.

5. I know I'm far healthier here

6. Cheap trips to Asia but really only Japan that's interesting anymore. We're looking at NZ, Mongolia, Trans Asia by train, Europe...

7. Andaman islands. Still love camping the islands

8. Really do enjoy my job. The school has a stellar reputation. Love helping my students dream big.

9. Cheap transport, really free.

10. The overall lifestyle. I'm happy, I whinge a lot, but life could be far worse.

11. 7-11

12. Yeah, some things take extra time to get done but other things accomplished so much faster and cheaper than in USA.

13. THIN, pretty girls everywhere!

A. Seafood is crap

B. Medical is sketchy and expensive

C. Prices are really climbing

D. No adventure in SEA

E. Immigration 90day, reentry, pick up extension takes WAY too much time.

F. Trains always full

G. Idiot tourists

H. PRC Chinese

I. BTS MRT commutes - horde of plebs and morons

J. Real estate prices

K. No safety deposit boxes

L. Filing FBAR

M. No green spaces

N. Many middle aged Thai really don't like us. Especially the men. They can be ugly to deal with from time to time.

O. The Andaman Sea ecosystem is completely dead. No snorkeling.

While I don't have a problem with your likes, your don't likes make me laugh. Seems to me that your problems are mainly to do with living in the city. Easily solved.

A. Seafood is crap-

no one is forcing anyone to eat it

D. No adventure in SEA-

oh c'mon, that's just not true

F. Trains always full-

try booking ahead

G. Idiot tourists-

avoid tourist areas then

H. PRC Chinese-

avoid tourist areas then

I. BTS MRT commutes - horde of plebs and morons-

take the bus instead. BTS, MRT brilliant compared to when they didn't exist.

J. Real estate prices-

don't buy real estate

K. No safety deposit boxes-

Seriously? Pay a few baht more for a better hotel

M. No green spaces-

5555555555555555555 LOS is all green spaces outside the city. If you live in Bkk, it's got loads of green spaces compared to other cities.

N. Many middle aged Thai really don't like us. Especially the men. They can be ugly to deal with from time to time.-

so don't get involved with Thai men.

O. The Andaman Sea ecosystem is completely dead. No snorkeling.-

If anyone came to LOS just for the snorkeling they are in trouble.

• Like 1

Per K. Gecko above I wrote June 2016  

Next time I am asked why do I like living in Thailand I might use this one from The Shawshank Redemption:

ANDY: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
RED: No.
ANDY: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.

That's what I like about Thailand -- a warm place with no memory.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2018 at 4:39 PM, William C F Pierce said:

Thailand is fun. When I first came to Thailand in 2006 they did not know Xmas existed. Since ten they have adopted it with Santa and Christmas lights. They like to celebrate New Year 3 times. Western New Year, Chinese New Year and their own New Year in April (Songkran). While I was still paying off my mortgage in the UK I have been able to rent a house in Chiang Mai for the last 8 years and only stay 3 months a year. 2019 hope to move to  permanently. Some restaurants the menues are in multi language formats. In others its only in Thai, so just point to the picture of what you want. Chiang Mai is getting more expensive due to an increasing number people from Bangkok moving here. Which is not suprising as the lifestyle is more varied and the choice of thing to do far greater than you can find in Bangkok. Or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter. English is spoken more widely than in most European countries. Although I find Chinese tourist tend to speak better more fluent English than Thais. The only compulsory expenses are Electric, Water, Rubbish collection bills (their cheap) and the compulsory Government Insurance if you own a Car or Motorcycle. There is no Municiple taxes, as local services are paid from 10% of the 10% VAT. Prices are steep to visit National Parks compared to the price Thai nationals pay. Riding or driving be wary vehicles pulling straight out of road junctions without stopping or looking. Some crossroads have no road markings, so it is not clear which road is the main road. If there is an activity you indulge in then there is likely to be a like minded group to join.

Interesting but not true.  Christmas has been celebrated for alot longer in Thailand than when you first arrived.  For some reason, all foreigners "start the clock" on all trends and fads the day they arrive, as though nothing existed before.  Sorry to break it you fella!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Per K. Gecko above I wrote June 2016  

Next time I am asked why do I like living in Thailand I might use this one from The Shawshank Redemption:

ANDY: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
RED: No.
ANDY: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.

That's what I like about Thailand -- a warm place with no memory.

could you repeat that, I forgot what you said.

I said I like Thailand because it is a warm place with no memory which becomes useful when encountering idiots however luckily my reclusive mundane lifestyle allows me to mostly avoid them except when I choose to go on here.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I said I like Thailand because it is a warm place with no memory which becomes useful when encountering idiots however luckily my reclusive mundane lifestyle allows me to mostly avoid them except when I choose to go on here.

Just one more time please...I am a bit slow on the uptake and my memory is fading.  Also could you speak up as my hearing aid seems a bit faulty.

image.png.3c776b6642faa32c3a44fbee9760b513.png

7 hours ago, xylophone said:

I would see the old men (much like I was going to be in 10 years time) wandering around shopping malls, looking for cheap cafes to spend their afternoons, whilst reading old magazines etc.

I have never considered myself to be "lonely" as I like to be alone, however interaction is always pleasant, yet seemed to be frowned upon for older guys, this especially in the case of speaking to females, whether young or old. So I saw my future and I didn't like what I saw..............

I know what you mean, especially when it comes to old single males speaking to females.

However, after all this time in LOS, I'd trade it in now for a nice place on Papamoa beach near the shopping centre.

It used to be a Thai beach was the dream, but they've managed to ruin most of the nice ones, and the rest are too isolated.