Retirees in Thailand

Polaky

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

1). Having international level medical care (as I have had heart issues).

I would be interested to know who your international health care provider is, and if you had heart issues prior to taking out the cover, because I cannot find anyone to cover me for a single stent that I had 10 years ago, and I consider myself am still young and fit, i.e. they will not cover me for a pre-existing condition, "one size fits all" apparently, so have to self insure unless I want to waste 90,000 baht per year that doesn't even cover that 555

Edited by 4MyEgo

I'm coming up to my 16th year here on a full time basis and much has changed since I first visited in 1992. The biggest changes I notice in that time is that the middle class has expanded hugely, infrastructure has been built out (motorways/skytrain etc), new malls and housing estates have proliferated and a much larger section of the population has moved from whatever they were doing previously, into tourism-related jobs and export-driven agriculture. Those things have in turn driven a desire for better education, more people graduating from universities as the demand for higher quality staff and people with language skills has proliferated. Certainly, the standard of those things is not the same as in Western countries but by comparison to what it was like here 25 years ago, it's improved in leaps and bounds.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Fell in love with Thailand when I first came here in 2005 with my then Thai girlfriend from Sydney who was previously married to an Aussie for 10 years. We arrived at BKK and travelled south of Phuket to places like Krabi, Ao Nang, Ko Lanta and Trang, then back up to Phuket town, never saw the Patong or Pattaya nightlife, i.e. we came with her 2 young daughters and my young daughter from a previous, she was always insecure of me playing up and kept breaking them, sure her x was an alleged player, not my problem, so after returning, I gave her the flick some 10 months later for telling me a big lie, and I felt relieved.

Two months after splitting with her a really good mate of mine split with his 2nd wife and said we should go to Surfers paradise in Queensland for a holiday, I said Farrrk that, lets go to Thailand, the rest is history, i.e. met my wife on that trip, and have been very happily married since I met her, 11 years ago, we have 2 gorgeous girls, and my young daughter from the previous marriage is now 21. I planned the move for 9 years, been retired here for just over 2 years and will be here until the day they burn me to a crisp.

The things I enjoy most is the affordability of everything, the friendly smiles and the relaxed attitude about everything, almost.

Building a house which was 1/10th of what it would have cost me in Sydney, water and council rates laughable, as is house insurance.

Food shopping, beer, restaurants, clothes, airfares, hotels, women, taxis, diesel, registration, insurance, car services, and extension of stays are all cheap.

Weather is good with two months of the year being cold in Isaan.

The only dislikes I have is; the morning smoke from the night burn, drivers not giving way, the lack of driving skills, but have learnt to adjust to their style, the Hi So thing, teachers bashing kids, (not mine), the corruption, lazy police force, the high road death tolls and the way the country has being suppressed by the ruling Junta, but hey, I am only a guest here, and in all fairness, I think where I came from is a controlled state IMO.

Apart from that I am much less stressed, pay no taxes back in the old country, eat more healthier and can think without rushing, although have become somewhat forgetful as I don't use what's left of the brain that much these days, 

Sydney is also within reach if I ever wanted to return and be stressed out again, but highly unlikely as I have enough to survive till I reach 101 years of age, and if we all had to go back, my wife has Australian Citizenship, and the girls Australian passports.

I'm with you on that, you have to adjust to the Thai ways on certain occasions or you would go crazy, I've been here 10 years and thinking of taking my wife and 3 year old son back to the uk for 2 months, I have not been back for 4 years and my wife has never been, It's scary when I think about going back, all the rules and regulations it seems so miserable over there now.

• Thanks 1

In answer to the Post : Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes.

And I agree with most of the other Posters - it is a fantastic place to retire (cant wait to get back).

If I may say to the Poster - next time you go to Thailand, get a Visa stay for a lot longer stay and see how everything goes.  Dont make the mistake of some and sell up and chuck it all in and come to Thailand based on that 'holiday feel'.  There are so many great reasons why to retire in Thailand - but there are hurdles and potholes when you are actually living here - get over them and learn how to avoid/ignore them, and then you will find out if this is the place for you.  Some take 3 months, some take 6 months, some take a year, and some never do 'adjust'. 

And as many others have said, and IMO too, the key to living genuinely and happily in Thailand is to find the right Thai person to share your life with.  You can just chase bar girls for a long time if you want, but after a while (for me a very short while) they and the whole scene will start to bore you. And dont think that as a retiree (60+) that a 20/30 something Thai girl is seriously in love with you (unlikely). There are some lucky retirees -  but IMO finding a good Thai lady closer to your own age (40up) is more likely to result in a long and lasting relationship.  And be smart when looking for the 'right' one - there are many ex-bar girls and ex-Expat girls looking for their next 2-3 year 'provider' - but there are a lot more good ones (lots more) who are ready and willing to commit for the long run - just be smart and ask lots of questions and observe closely.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Benroon said:

You’re not wrong - walk through any shopping centre and you won’t see a smile - its all 100 miles an hour to get back to the car before one of hundreds of UK fines gets you, it’s a nation of stealth taxes now, you can go to prison for not having a piece of paper to say you can turn on a TV, police hiding in bushes to catch you doing 34mph in a 30 zone (another fine coming) you’re conditioned to work very long hours to get a house you don’t need, getting up in the freezing dark to go to work coming home in the dark and the prospect of an absolute loon Jeremy Corbyn could be the UK’s next prime minister with Diane Abbott his No 2 (the one who struggles with the 3x table) - anyone want to go back ? 

Until you said Jeremy Corbyn I thought you were also an Aussie.  I am back here in Aust with the Thai wife waiting for the pension to be approved so I can go back to LOS, and everything you have said is exactly the way it is here.  I was in Thailand for almost 4 years and now I am back I cant believe that the Nanny State has actually gotten worse and is getting worse every day.  I got a ticket for 61kph in a 60km zone !! 

I hate living here - good to see the family members and some old friends now and then, but Xmas and New Year was a pain.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ancharee said:

I'm with you on that, you have to adjust to the Thai ways on certain occasions or you would go crazy, I've been here 10 years and thinking of taking my wife and 3 year old son back to the uk for 2 months, I have not been back for 4 years and my wife has never been, It's scary when I think about going back, all the rules and regulations it seems so miserable over there now.

Cheers, yes, you have to be flexible, I think the ones that cannot or don't want to bend end up going back for good.

We went back after 18 months, short 1 week trip, cost 5k with the kids, both the Mrs and I looked at each other when we got into the car rental and drove out of the airport, traffic congestion, red light cameras, etc etc, first thing in the morning and we knew each others look, as if to say, what they farrrrrrrrk are we doing here.

Just in 18 months so much had changed, although it was good to catch up with a few "stressed & fast paced friends"

Good luck on your return, I think you will want to be getting out of there sooner than 2 months 555

Edited by 4MyEgo

I first started traveling for work to Asia/PRChina 30 years ago. I have lived in Thailand now for 14 years.

I go back to USA almost every year for 3 weeks. 2 weeks isn't enough and 4 weeks is too long. BTW started learning written Chinese almost 50 years ago so that helped when it cam tome to learn Thai. I guess you can call that planning ahead.

In Australia, I can live in very modest circumstances, count every cent, and make do with female company in my age group. Stagnate with no mental stimulation. Here, I can live very well, not worry about finances, and have female company 20 - 40 years younger than me. Thai traffic and learning Thai every day takes care of the mental stimulation.

7 hours ago, Polaky said:

I am a retiree, visited thai 3 times now, each time I leave I have no intentions to return, however after some time passes the urge to return becomes overwhelming, 

Because we often want what we don't have. Grass is greener.  Rose tinted glasses. 

Impulsiveness begets a lack of due diligence and therein, ignorance and stupid decisions some come to regret.  Some regret moving to Thailand but get stuck in place psychologically, economically, or both.  Some can't admit it to themselves and others, so they carry on the deception of how great it is and how happy they are.  

Bit of an illusion really.  But that's life, innit?

Puff puff, pass......  :stoner:

As a teenager, always had a Palm tree poster in my bedroon. Kind of felt like peaceful and tranguil. At 47 started coming here, at 50 moved permanately after closing a successful professional busness. Had to get out of the stress and money was not a motivator to keep me trapped into that rat trap. Thailand had all I liked, the foods, good wife, low cost, less stress. Now at 58, food has changed alot, wife is run by her cell phone, people are in a fast "hurry up and wait" mentality. But what is the other option? Big countries are crumbling under corruption, brain washing is everywhere now, with the electronic "new world age". Find a spot and dig in for the long haul, if its better than where you came from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I guess when the alternative is sitting alone in a grotty flat wondering if you can afford the heating in the UK whilst battling a relentless tax grab from the government whilst waiting for the grim reaper it’s a no-brainer ! Life is very very short! 

Wait until the Brexit disaster really bites ......

What he said.

I've seen what life is like for non-wealthy single men in the UK.  NO.  Retired here as soon as I felt I had enough money - and could only make minimal increases in my pensions.

Lack of freedom in my own country.

Just one example:  In the New York metropolitan area you aren't allowed by law to make repairs to the outside of your own home. The work has to be done by a licensed contractor at grossly inflated prices.

In Thailand I've built several additions to the houses my family and I have lived in over the years and never needed so much as a permit from the local authorities.

Some might argue that situation results in a lot of substandard work and that would be hard to gainsay; although not in my case because I've had a lifetime of experience in the building trades.

Nevertheless, even with all its hassles and dangers, I'll take Thailand over the USA anytime.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Asked and answered by many retirees on this forum.

And asked and answered, in one way or another, over and over again for years and years.

Nothing new or revelatory this time around. I guess we'll have to wait in eager anticipation for another week or two when the next attempt is posted.

Edited by Suradit69

I would bet that most of us are economic refugees priced out of our home countries by our small pensions.  

There are other options such as Panama, Costa Rica, etc.  and thank heavens for them.  The current administration seems to be doing their best to alienate retirees in favor of the churn of quick buck tourists.  As I have said before the perfect foreigner is one who deplanes, drops off their cash at immigration and then reboards and flies away!

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Put another way, why do so many retirees not want to carry on in their own countries?

We will be covering both options. Spent considerable time in Thailand in the 90’s, married a Thai lass and raised our (her) two daughters here in Kiwiland. We have homes in both places and when I retire in a few years will spend the Kiwi winter of about 4 months in Thailand but the remaining bulk of the year here in NZ. The reason for wanting to be more in NZ is it is where out daughters and future grandchildren are, where I live in this beautiful country is bloody awesome with a gorgeous summer climate and wonderful fishing, beaches, food and lifestyle, we have free health care here which is a major need for my wife, and here does not have the corruption, upper class ignorance and senseless behaviour that has to be tolerated in Thailand. That I can tolerate in Thailand for periods, and that’s fair to my wife who has strong family and friend ties in Thailand, and with them spread throughout the country we get to spend most of the 4 months in holiday mode. As long as I stay in that mode, find plenty of bike tracks and trails to ride, get plenty of cold beers then Thailand is great to winter in.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

I would bet that most of us are economic refugees priced out of our home countries by our small pensions.  

There are other options such as Panama, Costa Rica, etc.  and thank heavens for them.  The current administration seems to be doing their best to alienate retirees in favor of the churn of quick buck tourists.  As I have said before the perfect foreigner is one who deplanes, drops off their cash at immigration and then reboards and flies away!

I agree that the majority of people on retirement visas here are largely motivated by the perceived economic advantages. Some of them are real and some may turn out not to be.