Retirees in Thailand

Polaky

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would be interested to know who your international health care provider is, and if you had heart issues prior to taking out the cover, because I cannot find anyone to cover me for a single stent that I had 10 years ago, and I consider myself am still young and fit, i.e. they will not cover me for a pre-existing condition, "one size fits all" apparently, so have to self insure unless I want to waste 90,000 baht per year that doesn't even cover that 555

Wrestled with this when first retiring here with heart issues. Took out a policy here in Thailand but they excluded any heart issues as a pre-existing condition. The next year, they proposed to raise the rates as I entered a different age group. Hmm, my biggest risk excluded and rising rates for what benefit? If it is not "critical" care I will go back to US for Medicare coverage (I have continued my Medicare premiums $104.00 monthly). I cancelled the insurance here. Heart attack December 2015...damn! $11,000.00 total bill. Found out I have a medicare supplemental policy from ex-employer that will pay up to $5,000.00 annually for overseas care. So, that is where things stand today. I post publicly as it may answer others questions also.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Wrestled with this when first retiring here with heart issues. Took out a policy here in Thailand but they excluded any heart issues as a pre-existing condition. The next year, they proposed to raise the rates as I entered a different age group. Hmm, my biggest risk excluded and rising rates for what benefit? If it is not "critical" care I will go back to US for Medicare coverage (I have continued my Medicare premiums $104.00 monthly). I cancelled the insurance here. Heart attack December 2015...damn! $11,000.00 total bill. Found out I have a medicare supplemental policy from ex-employer that will pay up to $5,000.00 annually for overseas care. So, that is where things stand today. I post publicly as it may answer others questions also.

Many many thank you's for sharing.

Unfortunate to have to fork out $11,000 even when covered, but excluded from your pre-existing, at least you might get back the $5000 from the ex-exployer medical supplement, hopefully.

I have Medicare back in Australia, but as a non resident, i.e. I don't pay tax, I am not entitled to it after 5 years, so 2 down, 3 to go, and if I do have an issue with the heart within those 3 years and I can go back, I will, otherwise I am up Sheet Creek and will have to pay from savings that I have made from not taking out international health cover, i.e. 180,000 baht so far, especially when they won't cover my pre-existing, money down the drain, as I am in pretty good shape for an old fart and don't envisage any other health issues, fingers crossed, just hope a car doesn't run me over while crossing the road 555

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

Massage $6 an hour. For a guy with advanced neuropathy, that is heaven. Nightlife option. Seldom partake but I like to stay innocent because it was my choice, not because I was forbidden to have any fun. The possibilities available at any age. The cost of living. Do you have any idea the cost of an ocean-view apartment in California? (Where I worked.) I'm paying about one-tenth that price on Pattaya Hill. The eye contact. The food. The legs. The daily little things that friendly Thais can surprise you with.

• Like 2

Two years for me here. Widower who grew up on Cape Cod till graduating and lived in San Francisco Bay Area nearly 50 years. Living there has the best weather, best employment opportunities and relaxed congenial residents. Here it is never boring. There as a retiree single its only fun at Summertime. End years offer great relaxation and very affordable on my SS. Yes having a loving Thai girl twenty years younger and the sharing a traditional family quality of life is wonderful.26731429_1277140489097860_7691623879667099270_n.jpg.cb01bba8f37fc340e3288bb0a2e78518.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Polaky said:

...opinions from retirees would be most appreciated.

Why so "many retirees wish to spend their golden years in Thailand" I can only presume, but I can however say why I wish to spend my "golden years" in Thailand.

My decision was a combination of several things – presumably not that different from many others – and they're still the reason why I stay here permanently for more than 12 years now.

Weather
I come from a cold Scandinavian country, where the warmer period is only some three month – if we're lucky to have summer at all – whilst most of the remaining part of the year is gray, rainy and windy; even the cold feeling winter has no guarantee for the fun and pleasure of snow. The spot I found i LoS has something like 300 good days a year, and an all year round temperature range from 24 to 32 centigrade.

Ladies & family
I realized many years ago, that I fancy the South East Asian lady-look more than Caucasian, so that's another benefit. Furthermore I never had children in my home country – too busy with hard work and paying tax as being self-employed most of the time – so if I wished to have an heir, I needed a, compared to own age, relative young mother, which was more likely to find in this part of the World, than in my home country; as there one need to be either famous, or filthy rich, preferable both, to mingle with young ladies without any comments.

Economy

I'm kind of "financial refuge", not as being poor, but because I could not live same kind of pleasant life-style in my home country, as I can live out if LoS. With a small government retirement pension only, and a little bit extra private retirement pension on top for a limited period only, one cannot afford an exciting life style in a Nordic country – even one has saved enough to live in a mortgage free home, and with little extra in the bank – as many Scandinavians are ripped poor by taxation. Just for the heating expenses of my house during the cold season, I could survive a year in Thailand, and with property taxation on top, I would be able to spend an amount between 400k and 600k baht a year to live from in LoS. My private savings made it possible to retire early at age 56, and enjoy some good "golden years", instead of saving little more money up after taxation from another decade of hard work, and perhaps then realize that I now was too old to enjoy my savings.

Dream of living in Paradise

When I first time visited Thailand in 1987, I had a good feeling about Chiang Mai as a place I could life, if I ever wished to move away from my home country; however I'm today happy I settled in a different part, further South on a island with less temperature deviation through the year, and less pollution, and next to sea. I was lucky to be able to change my homeland property with something pretty close to a house and location, one otherwise could only dream about.

Life-style

I've changed (some of) my habits and I'm living a slightly different life-style that probably would have been difficult in my home country – apart from weather and like, also due to taxation and living higher general expenses – furthermore my decision of settling in a tourist destination, makes me feel my life now is nothing but one looong vacation; which it probably is...:whistling:

So, so far, I don't regret my decision...:smile:

• Like 2

The climate,the food,the lifestyle,cost of living,remember an OZ expat being interviewed about retiring and living in phillipines,his comments were,OZ is over governed,overpriced and overregulated,so bloody accurate,also all the coppers are nothing more than revenue raisers in the name of road safety,speed cameras set at bottom of hills to book motorist doing 5ks over the limit,and so on

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Cheers, yes, you have to be flexible, I think the ones that cannot or don't want to bend end up going back for good.

We went back after 18 months, short 1 week trip, cost 5k with the kids, both the Mrs and I looked at each other when we got into the car rental and drove out of the airport, traffic congestion, red light cameras, etc etc, first thing in the morning and we knew each others look, as if to say, what they farrrrrrrrk are we doing here.

Just in 18 months so much had changed, although it was good to catch up with a few "stressed & fast paced friends"

Good luck on your return, I think you will want to be getting out of there sooner than 2 months 555

I think your right but I am sure it will be my last time in the uk, on the other side we could have a holiday somewhere else in asia and not have all the visa carry on for my wife

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Well, can live on the cheap is a good reason, the medical care isn't all that bad, the drivers are more than crazy and easy to hide out from those chasing me for no apparent reason? ???

I have been here in LOS for close to 14 years, but the shine is wearing off slowly...??

Have my bags by the door and in the launch sequence.....I think I see some greener grass? 

Vietnam 

11 hours ago, smotherb said:

I certainly think cost of living is a considerable piece of my reasoning for retiring in SEA. That, and I have lived and worked in Asia most of my life. Thailand, quite frankly, has the best infrastructure for the least cost of living in SEA. For example, I rent a 4bdr/3bth/3story townhouse in a big city for about 1/3 the price of one of my 2bdr/2bth rental units in Florida. However, some of Thailand's other issues are wearing heavily on me. I have decided to move-on to another country in SEA, but then I have never stayed long in one place.  

Try Vietnam, I have been to a lot of cities in Vietnam - Saigon,  it took Bangkok 50 years to get where it is, it will take Saigon another 25 and will surpass Bangkok easily. Dalat (nice weather, mountain area but a little too quiet for me)  Nha Trang, (I am going back this weekend) clean water , beaches are clean and organized, no ripoffs.  Danang/Hoi Anh- up and coming, but I felt it was hot in summer, somthing about the cove shelters the sea breezes.  Ppty in Hoi Anh is now very reasonable (still foreigners only get 50 year leases) but in 10 years a $250K 4 bedroom house will be worth $500-$700K, Hanoi they all have their noses stuck up in the air and don't like foreigners much, only foreign money.  They tolerate foreigners, I tried it for a month, no thanx.     Cheers

I am an Asian Vagabond, retired for the second time in 2015, share my retired life between Thailand, Vietnam and Hawaii.  Have ppty in all three, like the Asian lifestyle as I have spent most of my adult in SE and North Asia.............have no desire to live in the mainland USA - Hawaii is as close to it I want to be.  Whats not to like about Asia, affordable, decent health care, beaches,  friendly people (for the most part) I can get a foot massage everyday after my 5 mile walk - life is good. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A while back a Thai asked me if I was here as a fugitive from the law in my home country. Came out of nowhere. I'm sure many Thais get fed those kinds of stereotypes and believe them too. 

Had a pretty bargirl tell me once, "I know you couple years now, you hansom for be old like you are, but I look your eyes some time I see criminal - you run from Monkey House??"   I have hazel eyes that can change color with my moods.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Try Vietnam, I have been to a lot of cities in Vietnam - Saigon,  it took Bangkok 50 years to get where it is, it will take Saigon another 25 and will surpass Bangkok easily. Dalat (nice weather, mountain area but a little too quiet for me)  Nha Trang, (I am going back this weekend) clean water , beaches are clean and organized, no ripoffs.  Danang/Hoi Anh- up and coming, but I felt it was hot in summer, somthing about the cove shelters the sea breezes.  Ppty in Hoi Anh is now very reasonable (still foreigners only get 50 year leases) but in 10 years a $250K 4 bedroom house will be worth $500-$700K, Hanoi they all have their noses stuck up in the air and don't like foreigners much, only foreign money.  They tolerate foreigners, I tried it for a month, no thanx.     Cheers

Yes, I know about Vietnam, spent four years there on government paid vacation. I doubt I will buy property or invest there; haven't in the PI or Thailand. I prefer places where I can own without restriction. Just returned from VN one of my more recent visits. I plan on moving there soon. Nha Trang is one of my choices--my Vietnamese ex has a house on the beach there I can rent. I also like My Tho and Can Tho; although, Saigon still draws me. I have not yet been to Hanoi, it will be my next stop--if I can rid myself of my Ngui Nam accent and affect a Ngui Bac.

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Come on, there is only one reason, the girls. If they weren't here none of us would come.

Surely all farang men who come here come for the scenery, beaches, food.:cheesy:

No they come here for Meow.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:42 AM, smutcakes said:

I think you will see more and more Asian retirees coming over to Thailand in the coming years. People from Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong particularly. People from those countries retiring at 60-65 years old have possibly 10-20 years left of active healthy life in many cases. The general cost of living over here is far cheaper and they have the opportunity of far greater activities at far cheaper cost for a number of years. I believe many will start to buy up small units over here and spend a number of their remaining years in Thailand before returning to their home countries as they get less immobile and head towards the end of their lives, departing in their home countries.

I think you are correct.  One of the condos I recently sold was to a gentleman from Singapore, around 60 years old.  He planned to spend more time here during his retirement years. 

Quite simply, I can live much better here than I could in America on my small pension and social security.  Add to that good weather year-round, good restaurants and shopping, good selection of condos with nicer amenities and views than what I could afford in the US,  good hospitals with reasonable costs compared to the US, and an international airport 1 1/2 hours away to fly me about anywhere in the World, among other attractions. 

22 hours ago, DefaultName said:

What he said.

I've seen what life is like for non-wealthy single men in the UK.  NO.  Retired here as soon as I felt I had enough money - and could only make minimal increases in my pensions.

You are not alone.  I didn't realize the situation in the UK was that dire....

[The U.K. has appointed a minister for loneliness to deal with what Prime Minister Theresa May called “the sad reality of modern life” for too many people.

Last year, a British commission found that nearly nine million people in the country either often, or always, feel loneliness — a condition that can have harmful health repercussions.]

http://time.com/5107252/minister-for-loneliness-uk/?xid=homepage

Hmm, early retirement forced on me and a pending divorce....... waited until my son left home for University then started my new life. I had been looking for a few years - Florida, France,  Australia and Eastern Europe. Unfortunately Florida and Australia were a bit to expensive and I didn't qualify for retirement visa. Eastern Europe a bit to cold and limited expats. France property prices spiralled and could no longer afford the type of property i wanted.

That left a small flat somewhere in the UK, few friends and just enough pension for a quiet, lonely life. So i took a holiday to Thailand (straight to Udon Thani, after some research) and within 48 hours had friends, fishing, beautiful scenery and  a pleasant hotel room. 24 hours later a girlfriend. And i already knew from the first day i would be back. 2 years later i had a wife, a home and a fishing lake .......

• Like 2

I wouldn't want to live here.  I like it for the few months of European winter that I spend  here, plus the friends that I have made over the years.  I understand the fact that many can live better with their pensions, plus all the other reasons  and I say ......good luck to you all!!!   Keep going boys!!!

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:14 AM, Aforek said:

weather?, the people?, prices?, ladies"

I add ( for me ), surely buddhism, also I think they are more beautiful than farangs, they also have a sort of shyness that I like and of course the language (speaking and writting ) , music, food , houses ( wooden houses ) and many smiles ( not a legend upcountry ) 

there are many people who like to do Thai bashing, it's not my case; I am here for 7 years, living among Thai people and I am not tired of them , the first time I came to Thailand was in 1975

Well good on you for that, but them worshipping idols was never the reason I wanted to stay.

In order of my reasons to stay

the women,

the beaches,

and when I retired:

my wife

and when that ended:

cost of living

weather, specifically the temperature

non PC

can do what I like, more or less, without some busybody doogooder trying to tell me I am the wrong colour, the wrong gender, the wrong politics, and too old to have a girlfriend that doesn't look like my granny.

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You are not alone.  I didn't realize the situation in the UK was that dire....

[The U.K. has appointed a minister for loneliness to deal with what Prime Minister Theresa May called “the sad reality of modern life” for too many people.

Last year, a British commission found that nearly nine million people in the country either often, or always, feel loneliness — a condition that can have harmful health repercussions.]

http://time.com/5107252/minister-for-loneliness-uk/?xid=homepage

I used to see the sad lonely men hanging around Old St station in London because, presumably, better than watching tv in a grotty council flat. Awful.

Of course, once single men get old in London, there is nothing for them unless well off, or like museums and old buildings.

I wager that the minister will have loads of conferences, and actually do nothing to solve the problem.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, JingerBen said:

Lack of freedom in my own country.

Just one example:  In the New York metropolitan area you aren't allowed by law to make repairs to the outside of your own home. The work has to be done by a licensed contractor at grossly inflated prices.

In Thailand I've built several additions to the houses my family and I have lived in over the years and never needed so much as a permit from the local authorities.

Some might argue that situation results in a lot of substandard work and that would be hard to gainsay; although not in my case because I've had a lifetime of experience in the building trades.

Nevertheless, even with all its hassles and dangers, I'll take Thailand over the USA anytime.

LOL. In New Zealand a friend wanted an outdoor BBQ area with a pergola. I assumed he'd build it himself, but not allowed to build a sodding BBQ area yourself- insane.

They've gone so barking with the regulations there now, it's safest to assume that one can't do anything at all oneself anymore. Old people unable to climb on the roof themselves can't even fix a hole in the roof without paying a roofing specialist to rent scaffolding for thousands of dollars. What could possibly go wrong with that!

Every time I did electrical stuff, or plumbing or the roof in my wife's house I gave the mental middle finger to the regulators back there.