Retirees in Thailand

Polaky

Why do so many retirees wish to spend their golden years in Thailand?, Is it the weather?, the people?, prices?, ladies?, or just want to escape their own country?,

I am a retiree, visited thai 3 times now, each time I leave I have no intentions to return, however after some time passes the urge to return becomes overwhelming, 

why is that?, opinions from retirees would be most appreciated.

Beautiful weather in Southern Thailand where I live , more affordable than living in the UK but most of all a very relaxing life style . Back in the UK there can be to much pressure I for one used to drink far to much but since moving to Thailand some 12 years my alcohol intake has gone from a few pints every night to a couple of bottles a week which in itself is a far healthier lifestyle ?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, thrilled said:

I believe people retire to Thailand mostly do to prices.As long as A person is careful they can live on social security alone.

I certainly think cost of living is a considerable piece of my reasoning for retiring in SEA. That, and I have lived and worked in Asia most of my life. Thailand, quite frankly, has the best infrastructure for the least cost of living in SEA. For example, I rent a 4bdr/3bth/3story townhouse in a big city for about 1/3 the price of one of my 2bdr/2bth rental units in Florida. However, some of Thailand's other issues are wearing heavily on me. I have decided to move-on to another country in SEA, but then I have never stayed long in one place.  

• Like 1

retiring in thailand--for me, i have been visiting here for quite a few yrs,bought condo 2.5yrs ago,only just retired here permanently..

for me the main reasons are --warm weather year roound

--cheap cost of living-i can live on my pension but i do have substantial income from nz

-- thai ladies are amazing--happy friendly people,relaxed, not under pressure like at home

i have a major problem with "saving face" and all the lies due to that,a few other problems, but generally life here is very pleasant--i hope i can find a genuine honest lady to take care of me when i get to late eighties-i will just make the most of things, but havent cut ties with home country or family--

i could return at any time--its not a big deal...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aforek said:

weather?, the people?, prices?, ladies"

I add ( for me ), surely buddhism, also I think they are more beautiful than farangs, they also have a sort of shyness that I like and of course the language (speaking and writting ) , music, food , houses ( wooden houses ) and many smiles ( not a legend upcountry ) 

there are many people who like to do Thai bashing, it's not my case; I am here for 7 years, living among Thai people and I am not tired of them , the first time I came to Thailand was in 1975

YOu are a long timer with experience with Thailand.

Can and would you please spend a few minutes talking about what you observe as changes in Thailand  between now and your first visit to Thailand?