Bangkok Bank - No more Visa debit cards - official.

On 1/17/2018 at 8:33 AM, Crisu said:

As preparation i opened today an account with UOB Bank in Patong. No need for work permit but 550b for UOB visa debit card and 50.000b for first deposit which can be withdrawn any time.

Can use internet banking and UOB TH mighty app.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Crisu what documents did you need to bring

11 minutes ago, bravo19 said:

I wished you are right but i just visited their homepage and I think i can’t agree with you, there is a note about be1st debit cards which can not be used after 2019 together with pictures of these cards and also be1st visa debit cards with EMV microchip are invalid after 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Their homepage has changed recently.

You never read the other link which has extracts from information now not available on the home page.

Their homepage has changed recently.
You never read the other link which has extracts from information now not available on the home page.

I think what you mean is the law from Bank of Thailand that all magnetic strip cards from any Thai banks are only valid until end of 2019
But Visa debit cards from Bangkok Bank, also with microchip, are only valid until 2019. After then only union pay debit cards from bangkok bank can be used

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, bravo19 said:

I think what you mean is the law from Bank of Thailand that all magnetic strip cards from any Thai banks are only valid until end of 2019

No that isn't what I mean.

Bangkok Bank announced the magnetic strip debit cards will only work in a ATM until 2019. (Not the end of 2019)

7 hours ago, bravo19 said:

But Visa debit cards from Bangkok Bank, also with microchip, are only valid until 2019. After then only union pay debit cards from bangkok bank can be used

No, microchipped Visa debit cards are valid until the expiry date on the card.

That information has been confirmed direct from Bangkok Bank to a number of expats who actually bothered to get out of their chairs and go in branch to ask.

If you read pages 2/3 especially from the link I posted, those facts are confirmed.

You'll receive a message from the ATM when your nearing the time to change your card.

No message, no need to change your card.

• 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

Depends how long you been out country ! More than a year it may well not work when return

There was talk that these cards stop working on ATMs at the start of 2019 because 1. BKK Bank stopped issueing Visa cards and 2. Cards without chip are being phased out. Nothing to do with being out of the country, I can just not verify if the card works on ATMs myself right now.

30 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Can someone confirm if their BKK Bank Visa card without chip stopped working on ATMs? I'm out of the country but my card continues working online at least.

BKK Bank is now "Mastercard" card, got my new one in January this year...   

Just go into any BBK Bank Branch and ask to change it when you arrive back 

Edited by ignis

13 minutes ago, ignis said:

BKK Bank is now "Mastercard" card, got my new one in January this year...   

Just go into any BBK Bank Branch and ask to change it when you arrive back 

Great info! Thanks. For anyone else who had no idea that BKK Bank started offering a Mastercard Debit card here a link: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card/Be1st-Smart-TPN-Mastercard

7 minutes ago, ricklev said:

They still work as in the past. 

Thanks, good to hear. I guess that all the warnings really ment to say that the chipless cards will stop working beginning of 2020.

Combined with the info from above, that gives me plenty of time during 2019 to switch to a Mastercard. Nice.