Dual pricing: What happened when a Thai was charged the ‘farang price’

snoop1130

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Presto said:

Why don't I have this problem in Hua Hin? I definitely look like a farang. And no Thai help involved.

Never had a problem here in the North and often find Thais don't want to charge for minor jobs adjustments etc even when they come to the house.

36 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Why? I find speaking Thai, there is never a problem, even in tourist areas. Got discount from a taxi driver last week, by speaking to him in Isarn dialect.

Isnt it obvious? If the price is displayed u can be sure that everyone is being charged the same prices. If not, even if u ask the price in Thai, which I do if need be, they can tell u any price they like. It can still be a special 'falang' price.

56 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I have never been cheated too in six years, but of course, I know the double pricing exist, so I do not understand why some people have experienced the problem many times, you said just avoid the tourist places, I am in Samui! I just come back from 3 weeks in Isaan, I went sometimes eating alone I always paid the Thai price, I speak Thai enough to make myself understood in most situation but I do not think it has anything to do.

As soon as they heard you speaking Thai they probably charged you the Thai price not the Isaan price. Few people speak Thai in Isaan by choice they speak Issan.

Charge the Chinese tourists four times the price for all I care!  What do they contribute?  Long term expats ... give them the Thai price. Long-term expats are probably helping a Thai family, paying local taxes, and contributing in some meaningful way.  Tourists ... milk 'em.

15 hours ago, Presto said:

Why don't I have this problem in Hua Hin? I definitely look like a farang. And no Thai help involved.

Have never had a problem here in the North and find often the Thais don't want to charge for minor jobs, repairs adjustments etc even when they come to the house.

1 minute ago, jimn said:

As soon as they heard you speaking Thai they probably charged you the Thai price not the Isaan price. Few people speak Thai in Isaan by choice they speak Issan.

As soon as they heard you speaking Thai they probably charged you the Thai price not the Isaan price.

Am I supposed to laugh? :saai:

'She admitted that THB150 is a farang price, and overcharging the Thai woman was a mistake'. NO. Overcharging guests to the country was the mistake.

'She could face up to seven years in prison and/or up to a fine of THB100,000'. Good, let it happen and maybe everyone else who overcharges non-Thais will think twice.
But we all know nothing will happen as dual-pricing is led from the very top, the government. What kind of mentality decides that if you are not Thai you have to pay more.

I watched my girlfriend go ballistic on a songtheaw driver who tried to overcharge us for a ride from the Pattaya Central Bus Station to Jomtien. It was an amount I could live with but she was having none of it. She raised such hell that the driver gave me money back and charged us both the going rate. :stoner:

Edited by Jools
clarity

Yesterday, the Ministry of Commerce responded that it would investigate the matter. If the vendor is found guilty of overcharging customers, she could face up to seven years in prison and/or up to a fine of THB100,000. 

Haha, national parks overcharge tourists already....

Disneyland used to do the same shit but was much smarter about it...  ticket prices are what $150? but if you have a local drivers license your ticket would be discounted.. its basically the same thing but with less controversy...

I mean if thai shops put 150 baht price on their menu and gave locals a discount would anyone complain?

15 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

By that logic  Thais who drive Ferraris and wear Rolex Daytona watches should pay more then too.

Why  are they not fleeced also?

Thia's that drive Ferrari's & wear Rolax watch's generally don't eat street vender food, they eat in expensive restaurants where EVERYBODY is ripped off ;-)

Dual pricing seems to be an issue down south. Apart from national parks such as Doi Inthanon, I've never experienced dual pricing in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. It's not all that hard - ask the price first. If it's too high, mai ow.

4 minutes ago, speckio said:

Disneyland used to do the same shit but was much smarter about it...  ticket prices are what $150? but if you have a local drivers license your ticket would be discounted.. its basically the same thing but with less controversy...

I mean if thai shops put 150 baht price on their menu and gave locals a discount would anyone complain?

Rubbish. It is, like TOTALLY not the same thing. It is not based on race or nationality. Any Thai who is in the California for a relatively short time such as a College student can easily get a California drivers license and get the local price.

30 minutes ago, falangjim said:

Charge the Chinese tourists four times the price for all I care!  What do they contribute?  Long term expats ... give them the Thai price. Long-term expats are probably helping a Thai family, paying local taxes, and contributing in some meaningful way.  Tourists ... milk 'em.

I realize that I am in the minority, but as long as the amount is fair, I don't mind paying a bit more for some goods and services. I do make more money than the average Thai. As long as the amount is reasonable, I never gripe. My girlfriend is much more militant, though. She simply will nail a vendor to the wall for overcharging me. :shock1:

Just now, Jip66 said:

Thia's that drive Ferrari's & wear Rolax watch's generally don't eat street vender food, they eat in expensive restaurants where EVERYBODY is ripped off ;-)

that is not entirely true...   there are plenty of wealthy Thais who eat Thai street food and reserve dining out for special occasions.

wealthy people who eat out at expensive places on a regular basis in most cases do not remain wealthy for long unless they are ultra-wealthy.

the mentality is foreigners have money to spend so they should be able to afford more. In a way its thais looking down on thais.

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Guess you've never played golf at the Royal Melbourne club.

I'm going to have to pay $550 as I'm a foreigner.

www.royalmelbourne.com.au/cms/how-to-play-the-courses/visitors/

Also, at Disney World in Florida had to pay more than the locals.

I have to pay the same as you and I am not a foreigner, I am an Australian but I am not a member of Royal Melbourne Golf Club, I am classed as a visitor the same as you are and that is the visitors fees

9 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Rubbish. It is, like TOTALLY not the same thing. It is not based on race or nationality. Any Thai who is in the California for a relatively short time such as a College student can easily get a California drivers license and get the local price.

The point is people are getting charged differently just because they come from someplace different.  Although you are correct there was a story awhile back of a Thai national who happened to be white who tried to enter a national park and the park insisted he pay the white man price even though he could speak perfect thai, was able to read and write thai and had a national ID.

but in my Disneyland example if the price was set and he presented his Thai ID for a discount there probably would not have been a problem

Edited by speckio