Nazi style swastika items showing up more for sale in Pattaya

Jingthing

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They seem to be in tourist areas aimed at non-Thai tourists.

Look at the rise in far right politics and neo Nazi types in Europe. Often associated with the football hooligans. East Europe is rife with this. Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Serbia, etc etc all seem to have this problem; and it's growing. Ironic really when you consider what the Nazis did to those countries and their people.

Nazi regalia is banned in Germany and you will be punished if you ignore that law. Can't imagine many Americans, British, French or Aussies wanting anything to do with Nazi symbols. But maybe Russians etc do.

I remember a combat gear outdoor type shop at one mall having Totenkopf cloth label badges, as worn by the concentration camp guards. I asked them if the new the significance - not a clue. 

Do you remember this huge board ...

hitler_1504661c.jpg

* "Hitler is not dead!"

posted on Sukhumvit road at the entrance of Pattaya... ?

f2-Thai-billboard-1.jpg

Hitler or Nazi cross or just historical things.

Most people here don't know and don't care what they were.

The Italian hunt the Christs, some European intrude and killed the American native. Australian native were killed too. The Turks killed the Armenian and if you want, a hole civilization died, the Maya. There are many many bad things happened, and still ongoing,  did you ever heard of the genocide of Herero and Nama? 

I think there is nothing bad, if a someone from China or someone else collect those things, this is always a good start, point to discuss about what happen where did you get it.

For sure, a tragedy happen a while ago, but this is not only dedicated and reserved to Jewish people. The hole world suffer, some more, some less. And only those who life in their past start complaining about everything, new things, changes. This merchant, if they make some bugs, OK. Don t be jealous. Let him earn money, they properly don t know what they are doing. Keep this book closed, there isn't any need, to reopen the old stories always.

Forcing people to be politically correct wasn't a reason to fight WW2. It seems that shaming folks that don't believe the way you do is acceptable. You want to buy that crap then buy it, I'm not gonna police your political thoughts. I will think less of you as a person though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Forcing people to be politically correct wasn't a reason to fight WW2. It seems that shaming folks that don't believe the way you do is acceptable. You want to buy that crap then buy it, I'm not gonna police your political thoughts. I will think less of you as a person though. 

I wasn't suggesting that Thailand criminalize the sale or display of Nazi stuff. That would be up to them anyway. As far as other countries doing that and of course some do, that's their decision too. 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, wombat099 said:

There are 2 long time German expats in Pattaya driving around with the swastika helmets. Every few months I see them driving somewhere, not together though.

Lifetime Sub

I've seen such people too.

I don't like it but I figure they're labeling themselves and it's not really relevant to local politics, as they've got their own Thai style issues here. 

I am curious as to what national groups are buying from those more common visible displays now. I really don't know but can only guess. I'm guessing some Russians for sure, which is ironic considering what the Nazis did there in the war.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, wombat099 said:

There are 2 long time German expats in Pattaya driving around with the swastika helmets. Every few months I see them driving somewhere, not together though.

Lifetime Sub

maybe they should, it is always more fun riding together. At least they wear helmet, while most of the other doesn t.  

I am glad my Polish friend no longer lives in Pattaya, he would have fire bombed the store.........he was born in a Nazi Concentration camp, serve in the US Army for 25 years, lived in Pattaya for about 20 years then moved back to the USA.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I am curious as to what national groups are buying from those more common visible displays now. I really don't know but can only guess. I'm guessing some Russians for sure, which is ironic considering what the Nazis did there in the war.

Maybe its the Thais themselves beginning to feel some resemblance with a past oppressor.

41 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I am glad my Polish friend no longer lives in Pattaya, he would have fire bombed the store.........he was born in a Nazi Concentration camp, serve in the US Army for 25 years, lived in Pattaya for about 20 years then moved back to the USA.

Interesting, but I find that hard to believe if he lived here for 20 years that he didn't encounter explicit Nazi and/or Hitler stuff for sale during that time. So I'm assuming he did and I'm assuming he dealt with it another way than fire bombing. 

Even though I've seen such displays many times, I'm still always taken aback each time I do see it. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting, but I find that hard to believe if he lived here for 20 years that he didn't encounter explicit Nazi and/or Hitler stuff for sale during that time. So I'm assuming he did and I'm assuming he dealt with it another way than fire bombing. 

Even though I've seen such displays many times, I'm still always taken aback each time I do see it. 

I only know he could be a violent man if he wanted to be - he once beat a German guy riding a Motorcycle, to a pulp wearing all that Nazi stuff - he used to go to TQ's quite a bit.  If it wasn't for his friends, he would have cut the Swastika tattoo off the guys arm.  He left Thailand in 2002to take  care of his mother, never came back.

54 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

and today after an additional 20 years he celebrate his 125th Birthday :)

I see different general groups here with this Nazi merch.

The Thai sellers would sell anything. They aren't Nazis.

The Thai buyers and wearers of Nazi "fashion" stuff, mostly youth, aren't Nazis either. As I said before, that Thai fashion trend seems to have faded, but not totally sure about that.

Other nationality buyers from nationalities that do know what it represents, many of them obviously do identify with Nazis. I think if people are inspired to "punch" anyone, they'd be the best target ... not that I'm promoting violence. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

As I'm American, it's worth noting that such public Nazi stuff is not illegal there as it is in some other nations, because such things are protected under free speech in our constitution.

It's obviously legal here too.

But imagine an open display of such stuff in a tourist area in the USA. Imagine the scenes people would make. It's weird to me that there are no such scenes here. If it's legal to sell such inflammatory stuff, in the U.S. it's legal to OBJECT to it as well.

But that doesn't happen here.

Just noting the difference. 
To add, as foreigners in Thailand we aren't legally allowed to publicly protest anything. Thais could, but they obviously don't care. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

How did he survive 20 years in Pattaya ?  Got be a tough bloke.

8 minutes ago, blubb said:

and today after an additional 20 years he celebrate his 125th Birthday :)

No, he was born in 1943, used to brag he joined the US Army when he was 15 lied about his age, being a big guy, they believed him........he would be 74 this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

How did he survive 20 years in Pattaya ?  Got be a tough bloke.

He was, lived in what was then still a fishing village, Na Klua, had a welding shop, built his own Gym Equipment, starred in a few Thai Movies (always playing a bad guy)  and was a pretty good friend of the American's who visited, lived in Pattaya..........some people referred to him as Muscle Jim.

17 hours ago, talahtnut said:

A strange topic, but I can understand some people like to collect historical artefacts, especially of good design and quality from a particular period.

With time, we will know the real history.

The real history? What do you mean by that?

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

To add, as foreigners in Thailand we aren't legally allowed to publicly protest anything. Thais could, but they obviously don't care. 

There is nothing more important and to care about, how much $$ you have at the end of the month in you pocket. This isn't special for Thailand this matter for everyone in the world. If you can sell your Grandy, you'll do it..... after a while, you see it from another view as you have been always told .. But this is another story......     

• Like 1

Hugo Boss...........................

Was a Nazi and designed and manufactured the  Nazi Uniform.

The SS black uniform and Wermacht and Wafen SS uniforms before branching out to men suits and accessories....

So before you post on here and decry the swastika  take a look in your wardrobe or aftershave label !!

I own nothing of Hugo Boss label and have never bought any of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1