Chiang Mai To Get 500 Smart Bikes, Known as MOBIKE IN

snoop1130

On 8/17/2018 at 7:27 AM, kannot said:

not before fat yanks and fat ex convicts.............I mean if were gonna  insult  do it properly

Fat Aussie here, Yet to crush one, but give it time.

I am enjoying them a lot, I hadn't cycled for many a years and I got the monthly subscription so I could practice riding in the back soi's.

Pardon the dumb question but I'm intrigued if you obtain one,pay the fee, and happen to want to pop into a 7/11 and leave it outside (naturally) and when you return someone has "borrowed "it whats the outcome ?

PS : Just done few side trips well out of the city and seen them lying by the side of the road in many unlikely areas.The whole scheme is,I would have thought, long term, a potential  train wreck

3 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Pardon the dumb question but I'm intrigued if you obtain one,pay the fee, and happen to want to pop into a 7/11 and leave it outside (naturally) and when you return someone has "borrowed "it whats the outcome ?

PS : Just done few side trips well out of the city and seen them lying by the side of the road in many unlikely areas.The whole scheme is,I would have thought, long term, a potential  train wreck

Lock it when ever you need to move away from it, so you won't get charged if someone does that. Unlock when you return. If someone else takes it, then have Grab as a backup,

Most of the negative comments here are from people who don't understand how the scheme works. I've used them, and will continue to do so.

Pros

The app shows the locations of nearby bikes (and there are many). You can open the app, find the nearest bike and reserve it for 15 minutes so that nobody else can come and take it.

250B gets you unlimited rides for 3 months (up to 2 hours) anywhere in Thailand where the scheme is running (not sure if there is anywhere else though).

Alternatively 10B per 30 minutes

Seat is adjustable making the bikes suitable for shorties and up to about 6ft.

You can take a bike, leave it at a location, walk for 30 minutes and then pick up another bike nearby - you aren't restricted to where you left a bike you own or rent for the day.

There is a points scheme which penalizes people who leave the bikes in bad locations with increases in cost of use and rewards good behaviour with coupons.

You can ride them drunk.

Cons

They are heavy and single speed, so not for any kind of long distance.

They are ugly.

You need an active internet connection on your smartphone phone to use the scheme (not always easy for tourists).

3 hours ago, naboo said:

Most of the negative comments here are from people who don't understand how the scheme works. I've used them, and will continue to do so.

Pros

The app shows the locations of nearby bikes (and there are many). You can open the app, find the nearest bike and reserve it for 15 minutes so that nobody else can come and take it.

250B gets you unlimited rides for 3 months (up to 2 hours) anywhere in Thailand where the scheme is running (not sure if there is anywhere else though).

You can take a bike, leave it at a location, walk for 30 minutes and then pick up another bike nearby - you aren't restricted to where you left a bike you own or rent for the day.

There is a points scheme which penalizes people who leave the bikes in bad locations with increases in cost of use and rewards good behaviour with coupons.

You can ride them drunk.

Cons

They are ugly.

You need an active internet connection on your smartphone phone to use the scheme (not always easy for tourists).

Thanks for the excellent, up-to-date summary.

The first two "cons" were purposely built into the system to keep costs down and prevent hackers from wanting to steal a bike.

The third "con" is used all over the world by both Mobike and OFO, the two billion dollar leaders in the industry.

3 hours ago, naboo said:

Pros

You can ride them drunk.

Cons

They are ugly.

Thank you for the explanation.My observation is when following some riders that they apear to be quite difficult to ride especially for youngish Chinese who may not be accustomed to bikes and riding on the opp side of the road to their home county.I guess time will tell but when you can rent an older ,less trendy bike for 50 baht a day I just dont see the advantage apart from they are relatively new