Expat neighborhoods near/ in Hua Hin

Retired US expat couple searching for a long-term rental in Hua Hin area - recently sold our beachfront home in Belize (lived there full-time 6 years) and looking for that same expat lifestyle Thai style  (casual beach, nature, cozy bars, tight expat community with people who also socialize with locals and maybe some volunteering opportunities like humane society, library, etc) Key is a fun laid-back waterfront expat community with water views/access. We are very into nature so would prefer a villa or guesthouse setting.. not really into condos or apartment living. Looking for suggestions on right areas (Khao Takiab, Cha Am, someplace within Hua Hin ??) ... Budget is very flexible .. we do need a fully equipped kitchen as do a lot of cooking, our own laundry, and our entertainment is pretty important so good WiFi? Any suggestions would be helpful  - we are willing to explore other areas, too, for long term in the future (Koh Samui, etc) but thought Hua Hin sounded like a great start! Leaving Bangkok this week for 3 week stay in a Hua Hin hotel while searching.

Do your 3 week trip (3 days would be plenty).   Then reevaluate.  If you think Hua Hin is like Belize you need a face to face with it.  You can't volunteer (without hoops) either so forget that.   If you like waterfront start thinking Andaman sea and forget the swamp (Gulf of T).  Try Koh Lanta also, with the right set of filters it could resemble Ambergris Caye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have lived live in a gated community of some 40+ villas some 10kms south of Hua-Hin for nearly 11 years. The villas are of very good construction, all with private pools and gardens with a good mix of residents. The area is some 5 minutes from a 7km sandy beach with lots of good restaurants nearby. A Military hospital is some 10 minutes away and  provides excellent service to foreigners at very low prices.There are rental properties within our complex, all 3 bedroom, 3 or more bathrooms, decent size kitchens. Internet connection is very good and reliable with 100 Mb down and 30 Mb up for 750 B per month. If you would like to know more then please just pm me.

I hope that this has been some help to you and look forward to meeting you sometime if you would like to pop over for a drink and a chat you would be most welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you will struggle to find a tight knit expat community anywhere in Thailand. Here most expats group together according to their naionality. Then there is the bar chair warmers, brothel addicts,  pessimists, keep to myself bunch etc. Best is to like minded people at venues such as sport clubs or at places where you help out. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the helpful replies .. my husband is definitely the "bar chair warmer" .. retiring to Belize we wound up with friends of many nationalities as we did not live on Ambergris Caye but in an expat community outside of a small Garifuna tourist/fishing village ..

small town low-key, lots of beach bar hopping and meeting new people but because there were so many challenges to living there,  people banded together. We do realize that would be less so in a place that actually has things and services more readily available .. appreciate the suggestions and heads up .. will look into all and looking forward to more input! FOR NOW:  any suggestions for a particular not fancy expat bar to hang out in while we're here .... we'll try for any primarily English speaking one at this point?? THX! 

On 1/21/2018 at 5:52 AM, cheshiremusicman said:

I have lived live in a gated community of some 40+ villas some 10kms south of Hua-Hin for nearly 11 years. The villas are of very good construction, all with private pools and gardens with a good mix of residents. The area is some 5 minutes from a 7km sandy beach with lots of good restaurants nearby. A Military hospital is some 10 minutes away and  provides excellent service to foreigners at very low prices.There are rental properties within our complex, all 3 bedroom, 3 or more bathrooms, decent size kitchens. Internet connection is very good and reliable with 100 Mb down and 30 Mb up for 750 B per month. If you would like to know more then please just pm me.

I hope that this has been some help to you and look forward to meeting you sometime if you would like to pop over for a drink and a chat you would be most welcome.

That sounds interesting. I would like to hear more about this. What is the name of the community for example?

I plan to retire in Thailand in about 4 years but Have not yet decided were we want to live. Hua Hin is definetly on the hot list.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2018 at 5:52 AM, cheshiremusicman said:

Hi cheshiremusicman

Can you tell me the name of this community? That would be very nice. I am interested in the south of Hua Hin and want to gather information so i can decide where to settle down.

BR

Captor

On 1/22/2018 at 3:30 AM, woodenjake said:

Thanks for the helpful replies .. my husband is definitely the "bar chair warmer" .. retiring to Belize we wound up with friends of many nationalities as we did not live on Ambergris Caye but in an expat community outside of a small Garifuna tourist/fishing village ..

small town low-key, lots of beach bar hopping and meeting new people but because there were so many challenges to living there,  people banded together. We do realize that would be less so in a place that actually has things and services more readily available .. appreciate the suggestions and heads up .. will look into all and looking forward to more input! FOR NOW:  any suggestions for a particular not fancy expat bar to hang out in while we're here .... we'll try for any primarily English speaking one at this point?? THX! 

For an expat couple hua hin is ok . Not as seedy as other tourist towns . I liken it to being in Spain . It does not feel Thai at all , can be a little boring for some people  . If your looking to make friends then stay as central as possible . 

2 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

For an expat couple hua hin is ok . Not as seedy as other tourist towns . I liken it to being in Spain . It does not feel Thai at all , can be a little boring for some people  . If your looking to make friends then stay as central as possible . 

Hi chrisandsu

Yes I know a little about the area around Hua Hin. I specially like the south area between Hua Hin and Kao Takiap. It is very nice there. As you say similar to Spain or Italy. I am not looking for action but just take it easy and chill the rest of my years. I Have a thai wife.

So any areas for living there is appreciated. Both condo and villa is interesting.

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Beachfront is hard to find,  you know of Takiab. Further South towards Pak Name Pram or North of cha am to Phuktien. More locals and cheaper. Ban Kwai  between HH and cha am is also worth a look. 

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Beachfront is hard to find,  you know of Takiab. Further South towards Pak Name Pram or North of cha am to Phuktien. More locals and cheaper. Ban Kwai  between HH and cha am is also worth a look. 

Hi baansgr

I have no knowledge of the area south of Kao Takiap. Pak Name Pram you say?

I will check it up. Also Cha am down to Hua Hin is a white area on my map. I will certainly look that up as well, thanks!

On 1/21/2018 at 12:25 PM, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

I think you will struggle to find a tight knit expat community anywhere in Thailand. Here most expats group together according to their naionality. Then there is the bar chair warmers, brothel addicts,  pessimists, keep to myself bunch etc. Best is to like minded people at venues such as sport clubs or at places where you help out. 

You forgot cyclists and hikers.

Went for a long weekend in Hua Hin last week, with a few pals, and really liked it.

The beach and pier areas were very clean and attractive.

IMG_20180317_092548_PANO.jpg

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Thank you both!

I don´t care if I end up in any community with a lot of Swedish people or not. That is not so important for me. Actually I would prefer a mix with both expats of different nationalities and also thai people. But that is hard to find I guess?

Maybe the best is to first rent for 6 months or something like that before buying. That gives an perception for the whole area. I try to go there from time to time for learning the area but the time is always not enough. That is why I try to get more information here.

The info i got about government hospital is important for exampel.

I have been around and looking in some communities in the south parts nearby a golf course. But I dont remember the name of that. Something with orchid I think?

Nice to hear about clean beach and pier area also, thanks!