The cheapest farang in town!

DDBKK

4 hours ago, Tofer said:

The toughest conundrum is how to find a happy medium, without running out or becoming the richest man in the graveyard....

Yes it would certainly help our planning if we knew when we were going to die ! 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mick220675 said:

I am Yorkshire born and bred, I like to think I am generous in my ways but I have seen my fellow Yorkshire men do some shocking things to save a few pence.

My farther who has a good bit of money dry's his tea bags out and re-uses them 3 times. When I was a kid we would go on holiday to Bridlington for a day, the only money we were allowed to spend was what we found on the floor. When I got marred my dad gave me his 8 year old kettle for a wedding present. I love him to bits but he is tight.

Thanks for that mick .....  I need a good larf , just got back from my local ( bar that is not a person of the night ) and I tried a Singha as bored with Chang and it cost me 99 B .  I felt too mean to give the lass a one B tip so I gave her nowt.

5 hours ago, Tofer said:

The toughest conundrum is how to find a happy medium, without running out or becoming the richest man in the graveyard....

Pick an end date, rent a room on the top floor with a balcony.

PS. I use all my tea bags twice.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Pick an end date, rent a room on the top floor with a balcony.

PS. I use all my tea bags twice.

I know a few who do that (use teabags twice that is) but all the rest are from Yorkshire. Maybe you were born in the wrong county !

12 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I find your examples silly.

I definitely enjoy more taking a bus rather than a taxi or BTS when I am in the city. One of the reasons is climbing up those stupid stairs for nothing. Most of you guys claim taxis are not turning on the meter (which I didn't experience much to be honest), so the guy maybe just thought it would be less stressful for him to take a bus.

Some people enjoy buying a cheap beer and drinking it outside and watch people go by. Why does it have to be from a Nana bar? Did someone write the rules how someone should enjoy their beer?

I don't enjoy beer. It makes me puke. Maybe I should make a thread about you being alcoholic? I mean... here you are... in Thailand.

YES! I've caught one. 

In all seriousness though, I think you may be suffering from selective reading and might I suggest you undertake some self-analysis prior to making forum comments in the future so that you read what is actually written, as opposed to what you want to see. Oh, and maybe refrain from insulting a board member because it's a topic that obviously puts your back up? That's just, you know, child like silly.  

Oh go on then, let's spell it out for you shall we....

1. No one mentioned nana. YOU did, but I didn't. Sukhumvit road is quite long. Many places offer decently priced drinks.  Loitering on the sidewalk outside a pub to save 10 baht is quite frankly sad and you should have some self respect and just enjoy the drink at home.

2.  My point about the baht bus was actually more to do with him leaving a friend hanging around in a Bar for several hours because the individual is too selfish and cheap to take a taxi. What are you banging on about stairs and taxi meters? I think most understand the points being made. You're in the very small minority I'm afraid. 

The point is Thailand caters to many budgets and there is nothing wrong with working to a low one. It's the way in which you conduct yourself.  Obviously some people find that concept VERY hard to grasp and get labelled a farang keenook accordingly.  

Still, I suppose it makes the rest of us look like high rollers by comparison. 

Some good tales from times gone by. Must have been like a different country back in the 70's

Nothing wrong with being a Cheap Charlie to save money . 

I  knew a guy who used to take all the sugar with him from the local coffee shops. And anything he could grab on the table that was free.  If the staff noticed he just went to the next place. 

10 minutes ago, balo said:

Nothing wrong with being a Cheap Charlie to save money . 

I  knew a guy who used to take all the sugar with him from the local coffee shops. And anything he could grab on the table that was free.  If the staff noticed he just went to the next place. 

nothing wrong with being a petty thief ? I own a café and if I caught him, going to the "next place", would not be his choice. It would be mandatory. 

16 hours ago, thecyclist said:

buses in Bangkok were only 1 Baht and 5 Baht for the limited number of air-cons, not 13 Baht at that time,

More recently, I was around Pratunam

Seems you can't even remember the paragraph you just read.

Drunk?

5 hours ago, Gruff said:

I know a few who do that (use teabags twice that is) but all the rest are from Yorkshire. Maybe you were born in the wrong county !

Well, there's something else to that.  I worked as an assistant chef once, the chef was a Chinese lady.  She would bring me cups of tea.  "I have tea for you."  But her motive wasn't being nice to me, it was because she wanted the teabag's 2nd brew.

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

Well, there's something else to that.  I worked as an assistant chef once, the chef was a Chinese lady.  She would bring me cups of tea.  "I have tea for you."  But her motive wasn't being nice to me, it was because she wanted the teabag's 2nd brew.

I thought you were going to say she wanted you to tea bag her..... :P

Once a time I went Savannaketh for a new visa. There was some western guys in the sama business. I accomodated a 200 THB hostel, They was in a 600 THB hotel, and has had hangout sip a lot of beers. Next day after pick up passports,  everybody rushed to the bus station. I did buy a tuk-tuk for 40 THB, the  other farang guys, started a very fierce argument with tuk-tuk drivers about the fare, 40 THB was very expensive for them  :)    P.S. They no have got any discount, only strenghtened their belief, the Asian people rip off farangs

Moral of the story.. don't think that habits of your old country are acceptable here. 

You should have asked to pay for an extra cup (not 2 coffees)

This would have been too complicated as they would have no book price for a single cup.

Definitely brain overload for the staff

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We evaluate others via our own values, goals, lenses. For many, myself included, because we have some money set aside and are not spending it does not equate to an unhappy life. Someone mentioned Warren Buffett. I suspect that in his eyes, his net worth is merely a number. I believe he is having the time of his life and would rather do nothing else than run his fine company, visit with intellectuals, business owners and world thought leaders and eat his McDonald’s breakfast each morning. Spending is not an enjoyable endeavor for many of us. We like spending time with friends and family and living each day. I suspect that one could find many living in the outreaches of Issan at the end of dirt roads, and who would change nothing. Others enjoy, no matter what their net worth, the give and take of finding good deals. And as for the father who gave his son an eight year old tea kettle for a wedding gift, that sounds like a fine choice to me. We are all wired different and to say those who are not spending towards happiness are unfulfilled and unhappy is wrong. IMO anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Quite honestly, to read about so much cheapness in one thread is nauseating.  IMO, there should be an Eighth Deadly Sin, Cheapness (though Greed and Gluttony might count as an equivalent).

In the general workings of life, I stay away from cheap people.  If you are cheap with your money, you will be cheap with your "heart" - as in generosity of spirit or willingness to acknowledge another's achievements....and so on.

Some of the cheapest people I have ever come across are academics, and often, after experiencing "life" with a cheapo for an hour or so, I have an urgent desire to go home and wash my brains out...

22 hours ago, sanemax said:

You can carry 7/11 coffee cups by holding the bottom of the cup in the palm of your hand, that bit doesnt get hot .

The cups are also not free , if you just want a cup , you have to pay for the intended  content as well , even if there are no contents

Maybe some coffee places should adopt the Canadian coffee chain Tim Hortons paper sleeve that fits over the coffee cup so you can hold it comfortably.  Works great no need for two cups.

A money saving tip I'd like to share. You know how when you take a crap and after wiping yourself you discover you haven't quite finished your business, and end up having to wipe yourself a second time? Well, what I do is wait for five minutes before wiping myself the first time to make sure I've fully evacuated. I would estimate I've saved around $30.00 in toilet paper over the past 10 years by doing this. If, by chance, this practice has kept anyone waiting to use the john in a public restroom, my sincerest apologies. :smile:

Edited by Gecko123

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

A money saving tip I'd like to share. You know how when you take a crap after wiping yourself you discover that you haven't quite finished your business, and end up having to wipe yourself a second time? Well, what I do is wait for five minutes before wiping myself the first time to make sure I've fully evacuated. I would estimate I've saved around $30.00 in toilet paper over the past 10 years by doing this. If, by chance, this practice has kept anyone waiting to use the john in a public restroom, my sincerest apologies. :smile:

Rather juvenile and silly, TBH

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

A money saving tip I'd like to share. You know how when you take a crap and after wiping yourself you discover you haven't quite finished your business, and end up having to wipe yourself a second time? Well, what I do is wait for five minutes before wiping myself the first time to make sure I've fully evacuated. I would estimate I've saved around $30.00 in toilet paper over the past 10 years by doing this. If, by chance, this practice has kept anyone waiting to use the john in a public restroom, my sincerest apologies. :smile:

What an a$$hole!

28 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Please ignore the above two posters. The above post is actually quite funny.

30 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Please ignore the above two posters. The above post is actually quite funny.

Its not funny in the slightest .

Some people may give a quick laugh from embarrassment , because you mention wiping your bottom , but I doubt that anyone would genuinely laugh

22 hours ago, Gruff said:

Yes it would certainly help our planning if we knew when we were going to die ! 

These days I believe you can make an appointment, if you so wish, for the day of reckoning......

Would solve a lot of angst!

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Dont you miss the feeling of your fingers touching your anus ?

I have always considered that part of my anatomy "outbound only"  nothing inbound, 'cept a Dr's finger every five years.