Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

2 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Correct, the smog is coming from our neighbour Cambodia this time, according to Firms and Windy. Rayong and Chantaburi are also in the 'red'. The farmers in the Central planes seem calm at the moment.

"...according to Firms and Windy."

What is that?

2 hours ago, uhuh said:

So an air purifier gets the air in my room clean in 20 minutes or so. 

How long until the air gets dirty again?

Do you leave the air purifier running all night when you sleep?

If yes, at which speed?

BTW Power Mall has Hatari AP12 for 4888, they give you a free additional filter. (They say,  replacement filters for 888 baht are usually on stock.)

Maybe sold out at branches in Siam and Emporium, Ngamwongwan probably still has stock

I have a air purifier in every room. When the air is bad I leave them all running 24/7. When the air is good, I usually just run the bedroom ones at night. 

5 hours ago, uhuh said:

So an air purifier gets the air in my room clean in 20 minutes or so. 

How long until the air gets dirty again?

Do you leave the air purifier running all night when you sleep?

If yes, at which speed?

Yes, unless your room is sealed / airtight (which no room is), you leave the air purifier running when the air quality outside dictates it.

In my book, you leave it running long enough and on a high enough fan speed to bring and keep the air quality inside your room to an acceptable level, which in my view is anything under 12 mcg or so of PM2.5, which is an AQI of 50, the top end of the "Good" / Green air quality scale. And hopefully you can measure your own room air quality with a PM2.5 sensor in your air purifier or a standalone sensor that can be purchased.

Some depends also on the room... Some have newer, more air tight windows and fittings. Other rooms may have older, more leaky fittings that let more outside air inside, even when closed. But you can buy, if needed, at the local hardware store door and window frame sealants that minimize air leakage.

For me, I have PM2.5 sensors in my main bedroom and living room areas.  For whatever room I'm in at the time, if the sensor shows a level above 12 mcg, I turn UP the fan speed on my air purifier until the PM2.5 levels are brought below 12 and kept there.  If the sensor is showing very low levels below 12, I'll turn down the purifier fan speed as long as the room levels remain low.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

The AirVisual Pro is cool, because it is used as an independent node that contributes data to the AirVisual database. But in order for this to work it needs to be installed outside and left on 24/7. 

I have two portable units, I got them both from Amazon. They both work good and seem pretty accurate. I calibrate them every few months or if they fall out of sync. I prefer the one with the stand because it is easy to setup. However the other one has more features. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078ZS8RVL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_KjRoCbF7ADM3W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YY2729/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_QjRoCbN98X75D

Lazada has a few as well. But I can not speak to those. 

It is good to get one that detects formaldehyde as well, as many indoor spaces have an issue with it. 

On 1/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, JimShorts said:

The AirVisual Pro is cool, because it is used as an independent node that contributes data to the AirVisual database. But in order for this to work it needs to be installed outside and left on 24/7. 

I have two portable units, I got them both from Amazon. They both work good and seem pretty accurate. I calibrate them every few months or if they fall out of sync. I prefer the one with the stand because it is easy to setup. However the other one has more features. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078ZS8RVL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_KjRoCbF7ADM3W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YY2729/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_QjRoCbN98X75D

Lazada has a few as well. But I can not speak to those. 

It is good to get one that detects formaldehyde as well, as many indoor spaces have an issue with it. 

Thanks. Did you have any issue getting them through customs when shipping to Thailand?

On 1/13/2019 at 10:06 AM, JimShorts said:

At over 180, today the air in Bangkok is the 9th most polluted in the world. ???? Even worse then Beijing and Shanghai. 

(note: not all cities participate) 

https://www.airvisual.com/world-air-quality-ranking

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 10.03.05 AM.png

It seems the Bangkok Post read this post and used it in its article today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

It seems the Bangkok Post read this post and used it in its article today.

That AirVisual graphic was current as of two days ago, and then posted here yesterday...

The air quality is changing day to day....and even during periods of the days, sometimes markedly...

This morning the BKK readings were all red / unhealthy for all and bad. This afternoon, much better and mostly mid-range orange unhealthy for sensitive populations.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

22 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Also interesting in the Bangkok Post today is agricultural burning is finally recognised as the main cause of the pollution. Sugarcane farmers are the culprit.

Amazing Thailand... Someone finally used the word "burning"!!!  Not that the authorities are ever going to STOP them from burning, of course....

• Like 1

Amazing Thailand... Someone finally used the word "burning"!!!  Not that the authorities are ever going to STOP them from burning, of course....

Well, there are a lot of fires burning right now in Thailand but the bulk is really located in Cambodia from what the data suggests

Here’s a map of active fires over the last 24h

IMG_1518.PNG
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seb2015 said:

Well, there are a lot of fires burning right now in Thailand but the bulk is really located in Cambodia from what the data suggests

Here’s a map of active fires over the last 24h

IMG_1518.PNG

And yet the available Cambodia PM2.5 monitors YESTERDAY weren't showing high pollution levels either in PP or Siem Reap....  Today, Siem Reap is very high, higher than BKK, but PP is not.

https://www.airvisual.com/cambodia/phnom-penh

https://www.airvisual.com/cambodia/siem-reap

So I'm not sure, in terms of BKK smog, of the immediate significance of that fire data....

BTW, I wanted to put in a good word for the AirVisual Android mobile phone app that I've been using and testing this week -- which is a good way of keeping current AQI info on your mobile phone when you're out and around.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airvisual

Once you install the app, you can select cities and/or areas within cities to get AQI / PM2.5 data for in a nicely displayed, easy to read format, and their app and website aggregates not only official government sensor data but also data from people who use their own AirVisual PM2.5 sensors around the world.

You can set up a user profile, and save the monitoring points you want to display in the app, order them in whatever order you prefer, etc etc..  And they have lots of good monitoring points for Thailand and its various cities.  The app also allows you to put a live widget on your phone's home screen that will always display the current AQI reading for any particular monitoring site of your choice...

I like it, and it's become my go-to AQI resource for when I'm out and around away from home, just as the AQICN.org website and its data is for when I'm at home....  And the app has very good ratings from users on the Google Play Store, as well.

2142639211_2019-01-1513_55_54.thumb.jpg.f1f3bdc6862e31ea9fc45838921339a4.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 6:36 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

FWIW, those two Amazon offered units look pretty much identical to units offered from China by Aliexpress. Most of the PM2.5 sensors sold on Amazon are either the same or just relabeled versions of ones made and sold in China, which is the world's leader in air pollution (along with India).

The AirVisual units are nice, and can share their data to the AirVisual website and apps... But at close to $300, I think I'll take a pass on those.

My preference is just a simple clear PM2.5 monitor that's easy to use and reliable. The Sndway-825 model sold on both Lazada and Aliexpress for about $50 fits the bill ($45 on sale right now at AliExpress).  And no Thai customs problems having it delivered here, usually for free, via China Post or similar.

I've had two of them for a year now at home, and they continue to work very well, are accurate, easy to see and read, etc etc...  The other units do read/measure various other elements, but my interest is just PM2.5.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

714258849_2019-01-1418_31_23.jpg.9e0714f114bf130f10627aad3f7e0ba9.jpg

I will probably also go for the above Sndway. Do you know what kind of pm2.5 sensor it is using? Laser, LED, light scatter?

Have you ever taken the sensor out and tested the air quality in a shopping center?

The air feels clean in most department stores, but the cooler air can deceiving.  

Just now, ExpatOilWorker said:

I will probably also go for the above Sndway. Do you know what kind of pm2.5 sensor it is using? Laser, LED, light scatter?

Have you ever taken the sensor out and tested the air quality in a shopping center?

The air feels clean in most department stores, but the cooler air can deceiving.  

Re your first question, not sure, I believe it's laser... But I do know, they're pretty accurate units, as the results I get at home, and the changes, correlate very well with what the outside sensors show.

Re the second question, one nice thing about these units is they have an internal rechargeable battery... You power them via a standard micro USB cable that is included... But once charged, you can carry it out and use it anywhere on battery power. On battery, the display stays on like 30 seconds or more and then shuts off until you press the power button again.

As for indoors air quality, it really can vary a lot depending on the location. I've seen and heard of some very high readings indoors in some places, perhaps because they have a lot of restaurant and cooking activity going on, which tends to drive these sensors crazy... I can only add, normal building air con units don't do anything to filter out or reduce PM2.5 pollution.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I can answer this question for you.

Today, inside a new large shopping mall in BKK, the pm2.5 reading was 67 at 11:00 am.

Wood.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The air inside department stores is MUCH worse than the air outside. Yes, it may 'feel' cleaner but department store air where there are clothes on display is filled with dust of various types from synthetic fibres which is even more toxic than normal outdoor dust and much more allergenic to many people. Plus, the powerful industrial air con systems they use in those stores circulates around any viruses that may be in the air from sick people. You'd be better off taking your chances on the streets than inside shopping malls. 

• Sad 1

On 1/14/2019 at 4:41 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thanks. Did you have any issue getting them through customs when shipping to Thailand?

I brought them with my on a flight form the US. Customs usually charges a fee, if the item value exceeds $45, other then that I do not see why there would be an issue. You can buy the same monitors (different brand but look exactly the same, probably same producer) on Lazada. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 6:36 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

FWIW, those two Amazon offered units look pretty much identical to units offered from China by Aliexpress. Most of the PM2.5 sensors sold on Amazon are either the same or just relabeled versions of ones made and sold in China, which is the world's leader in air pollution (along with India).

The AirVisual units are nice, and can share their data to the AirVisual website and apps... But at close to $300, I think I'll take a pass on those.

My preference is just a simple clear PM2.5 monitor that's easy to use and reliable. The Sndway-825 model sold on both Lazada and Aliexpress for about $50 fits the bill ($45 on sale right now at AliExpress).  And no Thai customs problems having it delivered here, usually for free, via China Post or similar.

I've had two of them for a year now at home, and they continue to work very well, are accurate, easy to see and read, etc etc...  The other units do read/measure various other elements, but my interest is just PM2.5.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Quality-Monitor-Mini-Laser-PM2-5-Monitor-Wall-mounted-Inovafitness-PM2-5-Detector-Gas-monitor/32826759103.html

714258849_2019-01-1418_31_23.jpg.9e0714f114bf130f10627aad3f7e0ba9.jpg

Good to hear, I was wondering about these and considered buying one. I think I will now. Thanks. 

True the ones on amazon are probably identical to the ones on lazada or ali, just different brand logo.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:46 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This morning the BKK readings were all red / unhealthy for all and bad. This afternoon, much better and mostly mid-range orange unhealthy for sensitive populations.

Yes the air pollution usually goes down as the temperatures rise, so afternoon is the best time.

Also keep in mind the phrase "unhealthy for sensitive groups" is very liberal and is actually rather misleading. 

The safe amount of PM2.5 set by the WHO is:
10 μg/m3 annual mean (42 on the AQI website)

25 μg/m3 24-hour mean (78 on the AQI website)

Consider that these numbers are for healthy adults. Many factors to consider such as other toxins your body is having to process, your age, etc. PM2.5 has a much worse affect on children who are much smaller and not able to absorb and process as much pollution as an adult. The effect of PM2.5 on a small baby or infant is really bad. 

Edited by JimShorts

On 1/24/2018 at 8:03 PM, edwardandtubs said:

Seems like the OP and others in this thread are newbies. Pollution is no worse this year than it has been in previous years. The only difference is that monitoring of pollution has improved. A few years ago most monitoring stations only measured pm10 but now there are more measuring pm2.5 as well. 

Not so sure about that. I have never actually choked on bkk air before this year.  I arrived in 1996. 

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, I wanted to put in a good word for the AirVisual Android mobile phone app that I've been using and testing this week -- which is a good way of keeping current AQI info on your mobile phone when you're out and around.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airvisual

Once you install the app, you can select cities and/or areas within cities to get AQI / PM2.5 data for in a nicely displayed, easy to read format, and their app and website aggregates not only official government sensor data but also data from people who use their own AirVisual PM2.5 sensors around the world.

You can set up a user profile, and save the monitoring points you want to display in the app, order them in whatever order you prefer, etc etc..  And they have lots of good monitoring points for Thailand and its various cities.  The app also allows you to put a live widget on your phone's home screen that will always display the current AQI reading for any particular monitoring site of your choice...

I like it, and it's become my go-to AQI resource for when I'm out and around away from home, just as the AQICN.org website and its data is for when I'm at home....  And the app has very good ratings from users on the Google Play Store, as well.

2142639211_2019-01-1513_55_54.thumb.jpg.f1f3bdc6862e31ea9fc45838921339a4.jpg

Yes for sure the best app. The real time world map is very helpful as well in predicting short term future air quality. 

Another great app is BreezoMeter. What is nice about this app is it has a very granular, real time zoomed in mode, where you can easily find pockets of clean air within your area. For example right now the air is a little better Bang Kachao, then Sukhumvit. When the air is bad like the last few days it is less useful, but on days when the air is yellow/orange you can usually find many green pockets. 

0a8c77da-4bc7-4aa2-a9b2-35f924cff516.jpg

3b515c15-8917-461e-9fd1-9d136c98e6f4.jpg

On 1/24/2018 at 7:03 PM, edwardandtubs said:

Seems like the OP and others in this thread are newbies. Pollution is no worse this year than it has been in previous years. The only difference is that monitoring of pollution has improved. A few years ago most monitoring stations only measured pm10 but now there are more measuring pm2.5 as well. 

Hard to find clear data.

According to greenpeace it is getting worse each year since 2014: https://greenpeace.or.th/s/right-to-clean-air/PM2.5CityRankingsREV.pdf

Hard tell based on BerkleyEarth's data: http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/local/Thailand/Bangkok

According to this website it peaked in 2015, then dropped: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.PM25.MC.M3?end=2016&locations=TH&start=2005

not sure I trust any of this data as accurate, Greenpeaces seems the most realistic. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can only add, normal building air con units don't do anything to filter out or reduce PM2.5 pollution.

How effective is it to run the aircon units with an added layer of 3M Filtrete filters on the suction side?

From memory you did some testing with the 3M Filtrete sheets last season.