Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

Does anyone here have experience with either of the Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier Pro or the Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2s?

They have a lot of positive review on Lazada and a good price compared to many other purifiers. 

Been using the 2s for a while. It's good but currently in my living room it's getting the pm2.5 down to 6-10 after one hour (it was down at 1-3 this morning in my bedroom, which is smaller) so I'm thinking of upgrading to the pro. At 10kg it's a bit heavy though for moving from room to room (only 5kg for the 2s).

On 9/28/2019 at 11:30 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

I paid 45k THB at Central Embassy, so yeah it's pricey. 

The filters are 69 USD on amazon, i just order them online once a year, 2 of them, but even when not changing them after 6 months they are still efficient, i monitored that with an AirVisual airmeter. The thailand prices are highway robbery. 

The xiaomi models, as well as phillips had issues where there auto mode wasn't working, and it was quite bad at doing it's job at all: 

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/data-explains-never-use-purifiers-auto-mode/

https://saigonnezumi.com/2017/10/25/xiaomi-air-purifer-2-test-in-auto-mode/

The BlueAir seems to have a way better meter for measurement and no such issues.

I don't know if that has ever been fixed but if it's fixed then they are a good alternative, basically every air purifier is better than not having one, the technology isn't rocket science you could even build them yourself. DIY are often better than these cheap chinese ones, see test

Thomas,

I too have a Blueair Pro M and L here in my apartment, brought them over from Shanghai when I relocated to Bangkok three years ago.

Am I right in saying that you order the replacement filters from Amazon US? Does Blueair have its own Amazon store there or do you purchase from an independent seller - if yes, I would appreciate it if you could send me the URL.

Also, have you ever had to pay any import tax of the filters?

Thanks and Regards,

Sambora

People have been talking about masks and I can highly recommend the UK brand Respro , they have a multitude of masks type that can fit any size and they ship internationally for free.

You can try the techno mask , it’s an all purpose mask that you can wear even for a light jogging without looking like you’re part of the Chernobyl rescue crew.

I also carry a small measurement device with me (Flow from Plume labs) which monitors pollution levels live. Useful to track where I’ve been exposed the most on a given trip.
I also use it to monitor air quality indoors (it follows WHO and EPA standards)
You can see that as soon as I stepped out of home , ratings spiked to the hazardous levels this morning

IMG_1860.PNG

1 hour ago, Dinobot said:

Two questions:

1) does this mask fit a larger head/face? All the masks I come across in Thailand are too small for me.

2) you say you augment the mask, is that because it’s not that efficient at removing pm2.5 from the air without it? I notice the description talks about its purpose as filtering odor, not pollution.

Thanks

If this is the same mask Max is talking about, and it appears to be, I'm not seeing any indication the mask itself does anything to filter out materials as small as PM2.5....  That's probably why he's adding the 3M mask material inside -- though whether that approach creates a valid seal who knows..

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/threegem-toxic-dust-respirator-model-tg-50sv-with-3-reusable-filter-i281906596-s458787960.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.6.b1b44178cLWJiQ&search=1

In general, you want to get a mask that's rated at N95, which means it's designed to filter out PM2.5... 3M brand masks are probably the primary brand with that designation available here in Thailand, and they offer several different versions, including regular size and small size for children.

Not all the masks on the 3M site below are N95 rated, but many of them appear to be...

https://www.jd.co.th/shop/pc/3M-Official-store_12372/search.html?keyword=N95&minPrice=&maxPrice=

And unfortunately as is all to common here, many of the N95 masks listed on the official 3M store above appear to be listed as "out of stock"  And the smog season is just beginning.

Here's a better way of searching for them on Lazada, though you have to be careful about avoiding potential counterfeit versions, especially China sourced, that supposedly are being sold online in some places, which means trying to source masks from reputable sellers.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.product-not-exist-m.search.3.1a2b268dqHmuLh&q=3m n95&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--3516374474863299356__abId--135803__pvid--06209826-c97e-48fc-a164-cd13fb19265b&from=suggest_normal&sugg=3m n95_2_1

On 9/28/2019 at 10:52 PM, edwardandtubs said:

The issue with Xiaomi auto mode doesn't affect the newer models - 2s, pro and max

Hi Edwardandtubs,

Do you have some links showing the Max works well in auto mode? I want an affordable one for a 70 sq m room.

My SNDWAY here in Pattaya is showing 50, and has bee rising from 40 earlier this morning.

11 minutes ago, Dnyy said:

There was a peak index of 202 PM2.5 during the past 48 hours and the bar changed from red to purple. How come there is not much/nothing in the news?

https://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

Much of the Thai media relies on the data direct from the Thai PCD and their announcements, which tends to use the past 24 hour average readings vs. the live, near real time readings available via AQICN... So usually when you read a Thai news source article, it's likely talking about readings that largely covered the prior day.

The effect of the Thai PCD publicly reporting past 24 hour averages also sends to minimize the sudden spikes like what you refer to above, since the spike level gets mixed in with the other lower hourly readings for the 24 hour period.

47 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Hi Edwardandtubs,

Do you have some links showing the Max works well in auto mode? I want an affordable one for a 70 sq m room.

My SNDWAY here in Pattaya is showing 50, and has bee rising from 40 earlier this morning.

I never use auto mode myself. I just turn it on to healthy mode as soon as I come home and leave it that way. However, I assume the Max auto mode is the same and is fairly customisable in the mi home app. Definitely nothing to worry about based on those old reviews of the mi 2.

3 hours ago, Dinobot said:

Two questions:

1) does this mask fit a larger head/face? All the masks I come across in Thailand are too small for me.

2) you say you augment the mask, is that because it’s not that efficient at removing pm2.5 from the air without it? I notice the description talks about its purpose as filtering odor, not pollution.

Thanks

Good Questions:

1) I've seen them in only one size. Buy one and try it before they sell out. One would think the velour facial seal might conform to a larger head/face. I am quite confident of the seal the mask makes with my face, but YMMV. If there were leakage with my face, I would probably feel it. My filters get dirty at a predictable rate. If the filters did not get dirty I would find out why.

2) The ad snippet I screen-grabbed had the description truncated (Note the comma following the word "odor" indicating additional adjectives were to follow. Anyway, I suspect the translation of the ad text was from Thai so who knows (or cares) what it says? The packaging of the ones I've purchased identified it was a "dust/fume" mask with no mention whatsoever of "odor" (which I know it is ineffective at blocking).

I added the 3M PM2.5 N95 pre-filter because at the time I was not sure of the actual particulate blocking efficacy of the TG-50SV filters that comes with it. It turns out that the TG-50SV filter is quite effective (I always thought so, but hadn't confirmed it). Anyway, two filters have to better than one, right? Sort of a filter "oneupsmanship" or "oneupspersonship", according to Trudeau. Or is it "oneupshumanship"? I forget. Anyway, at his site they have stated that the mask is good for 0.2 micron particles and the price is over three times what HomePro wants for it:

Upscale dust/fume mask site of the type I use that states the minimum particle size at 0.2 microns. Can you believe it?

Plus, the 3M pre-filter that I selected is pure white and it is much easier to judge how dirty it is by its color. I go though more pre-filters than I do the TG-50SV filters that come with the mask. The 3M PM2.5 N95 disposable filters that I cut the pre-filter material cost only 35 baht and I can get two pre-filters from just one of them (by way of the ultra-creative use of a marking pen and a pair of scissors). ????

25 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I added the 3M PM2.5 N95 pre-filter because at the time I was not sure of the actual particulate blocking efficacy of the TG-50SV filters that comes with it. It turns out that the TG-50SV filter is quite effective (I always thought so, but hadn't confirmed it). Anyway, two filters have to better than one, right? Sort of a filter "oneupsmanship" or "oneupspersonship", according to Trudeau. Or is it "oneupshumanship"? I forget. Anyway, at his site they have stated that the mask is good for 0.2 micron particles and the price is over three times what HomePro wants for it:

Upscale dust/fume mask site of the type I use that states the minimum particle size at 0.2 microns. Can you believe it?

I'd be dubious of that claim...

1. There's no sign the mask is N95 rated, or anything similar using the EU standard, for example.

2. Carbon filtering itself does not capture Pm2.5.

3. The link I posted above from Lazada for the same mask makes no mention of either N95 or PM2.5.

Lastly, just because you're adding 3M filter material inside of this mask doesn't mean there's an airtight seal around the edges of the 3M filter material where it meets the frame of that mask.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If this is the same mask Max is talking about, and it appears to be, I'm not seeing any indication the mask itself does anything to filter out materials as small as PM2.5....  That's probably why he's adding the 3M mask material inside -- though whether that approach creates a valid seal who knows..

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/threegem-toxic-dust-respirator-model-tg-50sv-with-3-reusable-filter-i281906596-s458787960.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.6.b1b44178cLWJiQ&search=1

In general, you want to get a mask that's rated at N95, which means it's designed to filter out PM2.5... 3M brand masks are probably the primary brand with that designation available here in Thailand, and they offer several different versions, including regular size and small size for children.

Not all the masks on the 3M site below are N95 rated, but many of them appear to be...

https://www.jd.co.th/shop/pc/3M-Official-store_12372/search.html?keyword=N95&minPrice=&maxPrice=

And unfortunately as is all to common here, many of the N95 masks listed on the official 3M store above appear to be listed as "out of stock"  And the smog season is just beginning.

Here's a better way of searching for them on Lazada, though you have to be careful about avoiding potential counterfeit versions, especially China sourced, that supposedly are being sold online in some places, which means trying to source masks from reputable sellers.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.product-not-exist-m.search.3.1a2b268dqHmuLh&q=3m n95&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--3516374474863299356__abId--135803__pvid--06209826-c97e-48fc-a164-cd13fb19265b&from=suggest_normal&sugg=3m n95_2_1

I'm adding the pre-filter material on the outside of the primary filter and it's clamped with the same clamp/seal mechanism used with the filter it comes with. It is very unlikely that it is a source of any leakage.

The TG-50SV filter is rated at 0.2 micron on one web sales site for the mask. I believe I've seen that figure elsewhere as well. Incidentally, the TG-50SV identifier for the mask's actual replacement filter accompanies the replacement filter, not the mask itself. I've never seen the mask on the shelf identified as a TG-50SV mask on the packaging - only as a dust/fume mask. Please reference THIS COMMENT of mine if you have not already done so.

6 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I'm adding the pre-filter material on the outside of the primary filter and it's clamped with the same clamp/seal mechanism used with the filter it comes with. It is very unlikely that it is a source of any leakage.

The TG-50SV filter is rated at 0.2 micron on one web sales site for the mask. I believe I've seen that figure elsewhere as well. Incidentally, the TG-50SV identifier for the mask's actual replacement filter accompanies the replacement filter, not the mask itself. I've never seen the mask on the shelf identified as a TG-50SV mask on the packaging - only as a dust/fume mask. Please reference THIS COMMENT of mine if you have not already done so.

1. the mask itself you're talking about has absolutely nothing on it indicating any kind of valid PM2.5 certification, apart from what any odd website may claim.

2. The Lazada listing for the same mask likewise says absolutely nothing about PM2.5 or N95 certification.

IMHO, you're grasping at straws.

People here would be better served relying on legitimately certified N95 class masks from reputable manufacturers that are designed for the specific purpose at hand.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd be dubious of that claim...

1. There's no sign the mask is N95 rated, or anything similar using the EU standard, for example.

2. Carbon filtering itself does not capture Pm2.5.

3. The link I posted above from Lazada for the same mask makes no mention of either N95 or PM2.5.

Lastly, just because you're adding 3M filter material inside of this mask doesn't mean there's an airtight seal around the edges of the 3M filter material where it meets the frame of that mask.

EU standard! Good one, TGJB! I've been using my best judgment for the best tradeoff between price and my judgment of effectiveness using them over the years.

Can you recommend something better that doesn't have a stratospheric price and completely crowd-stopping looking, like virus-stopping decon suit or a space suit for instance?

I added the 3M PM2.5 N95 pre-filter layer as insurance. I believe the facial seal with this dust/fume mask with my face is quite good. if the N95 refers to filter bypass air, I'm sure I'm not bypassing as much air as the 3M N95 disposable mask that I obtained the pre-filter material from, looking at how tightly it (does not) clamp against the face and the possible paths for leakage. 

It sure beats the hell out of a medical/surgical mask with leakage paths everywhere and not even designed to filter inhaled air that most people use, if they use a mask at all - as is the case with most Bangkok citizens, wouldn't you say?

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

1. the mask itself you're talking about has absolutely nothing on it indicating any kind of valid PM2.5 certification, apart from what any odd website may claim.

2. The Lazada listing for the same mask likewise says absolutely nothing about PM2.5 or N95 certification.

IMHO, you're grasping at straws.

People here would be better served relying on legitimately certified N95 class masks from reputable manufacturers that are designed for the specific purpose at hand.

If I were "grasping at straws", it would be to stop the plastic pollution that is contaminating the oceans, now that you mention it. :stoner:

Anyway, so you're going to go with the Lazadza ad certification, eh?

Sounds authoritative to me (NOT). Please reference the above emoticon.

Here's a site called TEM-Trading that has a PangCare PDF ad that specializes in a whole gamut of respiratory protection masks.

They sell the very same dust/fume filter that I use (without the 3M pre-filter, of course). It doesn't appear that any of their masks have a certification of any kind.

What certification are you looking for? Something with the EU stamp of approval, for instance?

Do you have a problem with the 3M company's disposable PM2.5 N95 filter that is widely sold (and which I am augmenting - probably unnecessarily - in the dust/fume mask) because it has not been certified by the EU or some such authority? Or is it that you have a bone to pick with the 3M Inc, in general?

I'll kindly ask you again. Can you recommend a suitable mask for us? Which mask do you use, for example?

46 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I added the 3M PM2.5 N95 pre-filter layer as insurance. I believe the facial seal with this dust/fume mask with my face is quite good. if the N95 refers to filter bypass air, I'm sure I'm not bypassing as much air as the 3M N95 disposable mask that I obtained the pre-filter material from, looking at how tightly it (does not) clamp against the face and the possible paths for leakage. 

N95 is the U.S. federal occupational health standard for masks that can filter up to 95% of airborne particles if worn and fitted to the face properly.  It is the common standard that is expected for masks designed to prevent breathing PM2.5 particles.

Normally, masks that are designed to that standard will have an "N95" label printed on the surface of the mask itself for identification purposes. There's a similar EU standard for masks made there that has a different number designation. But most of the 3M masks sold in Thailand suited to PM2.5 will carry the N95 designation.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/n95list1.html

3M makes a lot of different varieties of N95 certified masks, and there's a list of them in the above web link.

The less expensive ones generally will have just the plain mask. The more expensive ones will sometimes have the one-way exhaling value built in that can make them more comfortable to wear especially in hot/humid climates, but doesn't change their filtering capabilities.

As in the examples below:

1703504744_2019-09-3014_01_02.jpg.dcc38398836961fb0d337e0a732ddf8b.jpg

1943687446_2019-09-3014_03_29.jpg.6066695d9284936ea6a346e78dd63e3c.jpg

3M is the primary, reputable manufacturer of these kinds of PM2.5 masks to the consumer marketplace.

28 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Best mask around is the 3M VFlex 9105. Comes in small and standard sizes and I think the standard size should fit most men. There was a discussion about it earlier on in this thread.

Thanks, I just read a review of this mask HERE. The final sentence in the review is this:

"The VFlex 9105 is a highly cost effective and somewhat unique N95 mask. However, like all N95s without an exhale valve, the rapid buildup of heat, moisture, and exhaled CO2, make the wearing of the mask for any extended periods very uncomfortable, but at this price point, it still represents a solid value, at a price perhaps too low for inclusion of an exhale valve. The VFlex 9105 is also available in a smaller version, the 9501S."  (Emphasis colorization is mine)

I require an exhale valve and much prefer a hard-shell mask that I can tighten on my face for a better seal. I would not choose this mask at any price (and this this appears to be a low-end price (aka "cost effective") mask).

Thanks, but no thanks.

3 hours ago, Sambora said:

Thomas,

I too have a Blueair Pro M and L here in my apartment, brought them over from Shanghai when I relocated to Bangkok three years ago.

Am I right in saying that you order the replacement filters from Amazon US? Does Blueair have its own Amazon store there or do you purchase from an independent seller - if yes, I would appreciate it if you could send me the URL.

Also, have you ever had to pay any import tax of the filters?

Thanks and Regards,

Sambora

You can order from Amazon US. Unless you have a DPA or APO mailing, shipping will be about $20 per filter. Import usually applies to imported goods over $45, so at $52 you may have to pay import fees. By default amazon adds a $20 import fee per filter, however this is often not collected and you account is reimbursed. 

You can also buy authentic Blueair filters at most large malls in Bangkok. I have purchased from the Phrom Phong mall. I believe the cost was about the same as from Amazon including the shipping and fees, but I do not remember exactly. The blueair th website has all locations that carry filters: https://www2.blueair.com/th-en/air-purifier-filters

8 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I require an exhale valve and much prefer a hard-shell mask that I can tighten on my face for a better seal. I would not choose this mask at any price (and this this appears to be a low-end price (aka "cost effective") mask).

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Safety/Worker-Health-Safety/Personal-Protective-Equipment/Disposable-Respirators/?N=5002385+5929342+7576359+8709322+8711017+8711405+8720539+8720542+8728156+3294857497&rt=r3

639336115_2019-09-3014_28_17.jpg.0e8a5a2273787ae8f3cdaebe5fc305ab.jpg

1 hour ago, MaxYakov said:

EU standard! Good one, TGJB! I've been using my best judgment for the best tradeoff between price and my judgment of effectiveness using them over the years.

Can you recommend something better that doesn't have a stratospheric price and completely crowd-stopping looking, like virus-stopping decon suit or a space suit for instance?

It sure beats the hell out of a medical/surgical mask with leakage paths everywhere and not even designed to filter inhaled air that most people use, if they use a mask at all - as is the case with most Bangkok citizens, wouldn't you say?

Amazon has many name brand top rated masks available: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=air+pollution+mask&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Shipping is usually around $10 and no import fees if the price is under 1,000 THB. Usually they are pretty lenient under $45 and do not collect import fees. 

Another option is this brand, they have free world wide shipping on orders over $30: https://www.style-seal.com/

Also two local brands popped up in Bangkok last year, both seemed to be high quality. I forget the name, but I'm sure you can find them with a little googling. 

3 hours ago, seb2015 said:

People have been talking about masks and I can highly recommend the UK brand Respro , they have a multitude of masks type that can fit any size and they ship internationally for free.

You can try the techno mask , it’s an all purpose mask that you can wear even for a light jogging without looking like you’re part of the Chernobyl rescue crew.

I also carry a small measurement device with me (Flow from Plume labs) which monitors pollution levels live. Useful to track where I’ve been exposed the most on a given trip.
I also use it to monitor air quality indoors (it follows WHO and EPA standards)
You can see that as soon as I stepped out of home , ratings spiked to the hazardous levels this morning

IMG_1860.PNG

Super interesting on Plume device. Expensive, but really cool. It certainly helps having a portable reader, I always carry one (although mine is a brick compared to the Plume). It comes in really handy if you go to a indoor space to know what the air is like. Most new malls for example have pretty good air inside, expect for food courts which often have worse air then outside. Restaurants often have bad air inside (because of the cooking). There is a bakery in Phrom Phong, the air inside is like 400AQI or something insane. Many coffee shops have great air inside. Also most cars/taxis have great air inside, surprisingly. 

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

N95 is the U.S. federal occupational health standard for masks that can filter up to 95% of airborne particles if worn and fitted to the face properly.  It is the common standard that is expected for masks designed to prevent breathing PM2.5 particles.

Normally, masks that are designed to that standard will have an "N95" label printed on the surface of the mask itself for identification purposes. There's a similar EU standard for masks made there that has a different number designation. But most of the 3M masks sold in Thailand suited to PM2.5 will carry the N95 designation.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/n95list1.html

3M makes a lot of different varieties of N95 certified masks, and there's a list of them in the above web link.

The less expensive ones generally will have just the plain mask. The more expensive ones will sometimes have the one-way exhaling value built in that can make them more comfortable to wear especially in hot/humid climates, but doesn't change their filtering capabilities.

As in the examples below:

1703504744_2019-09-3014_01_02.jpg.dcc38398836961fb0d337e0a732ddf8b.jpg

1943687446_2019-09-3014_03_29.jpg.6066695d9284936ea6a346e78dd63e3c.jpg

3M is the primary, reputable manufacturer of these kinds of PM2.5 masks to the consumer marketplace.

Thanks. My goal is to improve on "N95" to reach closer to N99 (if there is such a thing and it can actually be measured). If the N95 is not N99 due to facial seal leakage, then I believe that my hard-shell dust/fume mask has a better chance of improving on N95 because I can really tighten the mask down against my face for a better seal. I don't see anything negative w/r the dust/fume mask I'm using other than the exhale valve is faulty and leaks (I've seen them fail).

The efficacy of the filter material is the second and very important aspect which I have addressed with material taken from a 3M N95 mask. Capiche? Among the 1) facial seal, the 2) filter-mask seal and 3) the efficacy of the filter material and 4) the existence of an effective and reliable exhale valve what else is there? Style, color, magic? (You're supposed to respond to this with "price").

One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering - Robert A. Heinlein

14 minutes ago, JimShorts said:

You can also buy authentic Blueair filters at most large malls in Bangkok. I have purchased from the Phrom Phong mall. I believe the cost was about the same as from Amazon including the shipping and fees, but I do not remember exactly. The blueair th website has all locations that carry filters: https://www2.blueair.com/th-en/air-purifier-filters

The Blueair site points to Central.co.th as their official dealer in Thailand. When I went to the Central website over the weekend just out of curiosity, they listed a number of BlueAir purifiers for sale at exalted prices... but not a single Blueair filter I could find offered on their website.

Now, the website is not necessarily the same as the various stores. But when I've shopped for instance at Central Chidlom in the past and looked at their air purifiers there, likewise, they stocked a variety of purifier models, but carried in store few in any replacement air filters for those models. And had the same experience looking in PowerBuy in the past.

1 minute ago, MaxYakov said:

Thanks. My goal is to improve on "N95" to reach closer to N99 (if there is such a thing and it can actually be measured). If the N95 is not N99 due to facial seal leakage, then I believe that my hard-shell dust/fume mask has a better chance of improving on N95 because I can really tighten the mask down against my face for a better seal. I don't see anything negative w/r the dust/fume mask I'm using other than the exhale valve is faulty and leaks (I've seen them fail).

The efficacy of the filter material is the second and very important aspect which I have addressed with material taken from a 3M N95 mask. Capiche? Among the 1) facial seal, the 2) filter-mask seal and 3) the efficacy of the filter material and 4) the existence of an effective and reliable exhale valve what else is there? Style, color, magic? (You're supposed to respond to this with "price").

One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering - Robert A. Heinlein

You're fixated on your home made contraption, and obviously aren't going to move off that.  But for the typical person reading here, they're better off and safer simply buying an appropriate N95 or better mask from a reputable manufacturer like 3M. 

And yes, there are higher filtration masks with the N100 certification. But they are rarer, probably much harder to find especially in Thailand, considerably more expensive, and may be harder to breath in... 

1241822312_2019-09-3014_43_33.jpg.b686390e953a1bbd67e5b4c19273c90c.jpg

46 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Thanks, but no thanks.

Bizarre mindset. "Low-end" price masks from 3M have been shown in fit tests to remove 97% of pm2.5 so on an extremely polluted day like today with pm2.5 at 100 you would be breathing in 3 micrograms per cubic metre - well within the healthy range. More expensive masks from other manufacturers have been shown to be inferior. And it keeps my face cooler and more comfortable than valved varieties. Your haughty mentality is getting in the way of you finding the best mask.

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're fixated on your home made contraption, and obviously aren't going to move off that.  But for the typical person reading here, they're better off and safer simply buying an appropriate N95 or better mask from a reputable manufacturer like 3M. 

And yes, there are higher filtration masks with the N100 certification. But they are rarer, probably much harder to find especially in Thailand, considerably more expensive, and may be harder to breath in... 

1241822312_2019-09-3014_43_33.jpg.b686390e953a1bbd67e5b4c19273c90c.jpg

It is not a "home made contraption". It is off-the-shelf at HomePro and also available at Central Chitlom. Any mods I made were a foolproof (IMHO) improvement using 3M PM2.5 filter material (even though that mod was probably not necessary).

Please stick to the facts and try to avoid the hyperbolic exaggeration, OK? Or UFTS.

Archived