How to stay safe while in Thailand? Tips please

travelerjax04

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I enjoy motorcycles also, the trouble is, over 18,000 people die here on motorcycles every year, they are the single largest cause of tourist deaths after drowning!

And you know, I've lived here full time for the past 16 years so I reckon I've got a fair handle on what's dangerous and what's not, case in point, motorbikes! Of course, if a person had no common sense back home then coming here without any isn't going to be helpful.....we presume the OP has plenty.

Gee, 18,000 die, and I wonder how many ride and do not die? Not impressed with your 16 years; people can stay for longer and learn nothing.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

Gee, 18,000 die, and I wonder how many ride and do not die? Not impressed with your 16 years; people can stay for longer and learn nothing.

It calculated per 100,000 – Thailand is number one...

Road-fatality-rate-2017.jpg.9378b182a84d1861dbca02b34fea0bd2.jpg

43 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It calculated per 100,000 – Thailand is number one...

Road-fatality-rate-2017.jpg.9378b182a84d1861dbca02b34fea0bd2.jpg

He said 18,000. Even per 100k population; the odds are still with you.  Sorry, but I have never wanted to live my life being afraid of doing dangerous things and living in dangerous areas or I would not have spent my life in volatile third-world countries, ridden motorcycles, drank too much, partied too hard and let it all hang out.

Edited by smotherb

28 minutes ago, smotherb said:

He said 18,000. Even per 100k population; the odds are still with you.  Sorry, but I have never wanted to live my life being afraid of doing dangerous things and living in dangerous areas or I would not have spent my life in volatile third-world countries, ridden motorcycles, drank too much, partied too hard and let it all hang out.

73% of 24,000 is 17,520, i.e. rounded to 18,000 in my calculator...:smile:

5 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

And avoid seeking advice from jaundiced expats whose main hobby is blaming  their own sordid life choices on Thais and Thailand.  In fact, avoid any farang who seems overly eager to become chummy.

...and avoid all people who use the term 'chummy'.

5 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

And avoid seeking advice from jaundiced expats whose main hobby is blaming  their own sordid life choices on Thais and Thailand.  In fact, avoid any farang who seems overly eager to become chummy.

Miserable T--- who the hell would want to get chummy with you!  

Wanna stay safe in Thailand? Don't leave the airport !!!

When leaving the airport:

- Get yourself a ground floor apartment, so you can't fall off some balcony.

- Stay inside, don't go out. You might get killed by a truck, bus or van with brake problems.

- When hungry, order yourself food at Pizzahut, Pizza Company, MC Donalds or any other international fast food restaurant and have it delivered. Ask them to serve your food when hot. See previous rule.

- Transport? Only back to the airport. hire a private driver with brains.

I wish you a nice holiday. 

Edited by PAIBKK

I see the OP is getting more wisecracks from idiots than advice so let me try and give you something else that's constructive:

Some Ladyboys (men dressed as women or on their way to becoming one) can be hard to spot, the difference between them and a female is sometimes only very slight. But one thing that does make them easy to spot is that they will much more readily approach you and become tactile, Thai women are generally much less aggressive.

Another point worth remembering is that when asked a question, a Thai person will almost always give you an answer, even if they haven't got a clue what the right answer is, it is, therefore, useful to try and ask several people the same question if you want to get close to the fact.

Finally, try to forget how things work back home and don't assume those things work the same way here, the rules for everything, big and small, are different. But I'm envious of you making your first trip here, mine was a thrilling experience and I have no doubt yours will be also.

3 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Bring your sexy clothes and you will fit right in.....lol...??

Men in Pattaya have no shame.....dress like clowns and act that way as well.....both on the street, in the bars and on the beaches.....

pretty disgusting on all levels....be prepared.....?

IMG_0811.JPG

Do you mind, I haven't had breakfast yet!

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Where's the "stop being  c**t" meme when you really need it?

In what respect, not agreeing that no one should ever ride motorcycles in Thailand, or that the same precautions you need in Thailand are the same as in your home country?  Seems to me, the meme needed for your post is one to "use your brain"

On 1/23/2018 at 8:02 AM, Lite Beer said:

Beware of scammers.

If something is too good to be true it usually is.

Thai girls are the best "Carnies" I have ever seen, they have more ways of separating vacationers and their money that would make the most saavy carnival operator jealous.    and still no real explanation of "What in hell is a Romance Tour??"

A few more for you to consider after you've arrived and are out and about OP.

Take a tuk tuk by all means but taxis are generally cheaper and obviously have air con

If in doubt, deploy the mick dundee approach 

Avoid any Africans on the street late at night in Bangkok 

Good idea to have your passport on you at all times

Motorbikes are fine if you can ride one back home - these fatality figures are mostly idiots who ride without helmets but don't underestimate the random-ness of the thai drivers 

Visit some islands - koh chang and koh phangan are great

Enjoy!

Forget Bangkok its a dirty hole, grab a bus downstairs at the airport to Pattaya, plenty of expats here that will help you. Do not wear gold visible, keep your money safe close to your body zipped up in a bag, beware of scammers, try and find someone of your country to chat with, I am sure they will help you. free lance girls, ladyboys here big problem

Forget Bangkok its a dirty hole, grab a bus downstairs at the airport to Pattaya, plenty of expats here that will help you. Do not wear gold visible, keep your money safe close to your body zipped up in a bag, beware of scammers, try and find someone of your country to chat with, I am sure they will help you. free lance girls, ladyboys here big problem
A Pattaya dude calling bangkok a dirty hole? Bahahahaha [emoji23]

A Pattaya dude calling bangkok a dirty hole? Bahahahaha [emoji23]

5 hours ago, DDBKK said:

A few more for you to consider after you've arrived and are out and about OP.

Take a tuk tuk by all means but taxis are generally cheaper and obviously have air con

If in doubt, deploy the mick dundee approach 

Avoid any Africans on the street late at night in Bangkok 

Good idea to have your passport on you at all times

Motorbikes are fine if you can ride one back home - these fatality figures are mostly idiots who ride without helmets but don't underestimate the random-ness of the thai drivers 

Visit some islands - koh chang and koh phangan are great

Enjoy!

I don't want to appear as though I'm beating a drum on this point but tourists who think they can ride motorbikes back home is a big part of the problem!

I've driven bikes for years in the UK and the US, everything from vespa's to a Vincent 1,000 and I'd never ride a bike of any sort here. I travel the 1001 in and out of Chiang Mai every day, the road runs from the city to the Mesa Valley, Mae Tang and Pi so it's always loaded with western tourists on bikes - most are wearing shorts, tee shirt and flip flops, some wear helmets but they're the cheap ones the rental company gave them which will break in two when hit hard. The biggest problem is they mostly all drive exactly the same way they would back home, in the centre of the left lane as though they're a road user with equal rights to pickups and trucks and in the expectation, others will give way to them and/or give them breathing space. Ha, most drivers would squish them, given half a chance, just for being so stupid and blocking one of only two lanes. I've driven here for over 16 years doing at least 25k a year, hand on heart I can genuinely say that the only that's scary about Thailand is motorbikes.

Basically common sense!
Recommend you go to a stationary shop, get a copy of your passport laminated, leave the original in hotel safe!
Only carry the amount of cash you think you will need for the evening, don’t carry phone or credit cards, wallet etc!
Yes be aware confirming the gender of ladies!
Don’t get drunk late at night.
For the most part Thailand if you are sensible is a very safe destination.
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 25/01/2018 at 12:30 AM, simoh1490 said:

I don't want to appear as though I'm beating a drum on this point but tourists who think they can ride motorbikes back home is a big part of the problem!

I've driven bikes for years in the UK and the US, everything from vespa's to a Vincent 1,000 and I'd never ride a bike of any sort here. I travel the 1001 in and out of Chiang Mai every day, the road runs from the city to the Mesa Valley, Mae Tang and Pi so it's always loaded with western tourists on bikes - most are wearing shorts, tee shirt and flip flops, some wear helmets but they're the cheap ones the rental company gave them which will break in two when hit hard. The biggest problem is they mostly all drive exactly the same way they would back home, in the centre of the left lane as though they're a road user with equal rights to pickups and trucks and in the expectation, others will give way to them and/or give them breathing space. Ha, most drivers would squish them, given half a chance, just for being so stupid and blocking one of only two lanes. I've driven here for over 16 years doing at least 25k a year, hand on heart I can genuinely say that the only that's scary about Thailand is motorbikes.

If you drive as much as you claim then you would be saying the "ghost-feet" 2 trailer trucks driven by young guys mao on yaba are the scariest thing on thai roads, not bikes which can only cause very limited damage as opposed to those clowns driving <deleted> knows how many ton trucks like they are racing cars. 

Riding bikes is perfectly fine. You just need to ride according to the traffic situation and the weather. It's not rocket science. Thousands of farang do it. If you're scared then that's down to you. Loads of us aren't.