Staining Bamboo

chiangrai

I started painting and decorating a house a while ago and

have run into a problem.

There was some redwood window and door frames and I stained them with "redwood deck stain" and they turned out beautiful.

There was some fiberboard and I used the same stuff on that and it turned out beautiful as well.

Then there was a large vaulted ceiling lined with the thin bamboo sheeting that you see above and I tried it on that and it turned out terrible.

I don't know if you know this material.It's called "maai at Lampoon".You find it in the shops that sell bamboo and cheap wood for about 350bht per sheet.

It's great gear really cheap and gives things a  natural

look.

Anyway,I tried 3 coats of Matt redwood deck stain and it came out terrible so I gave it another 3 coats and it looked less terrible.

I've now given one patch about 12 coats,it's starting to look O.K  but not great.

When I say giving it a coat I mean with the brush not the

western way with cloth.I don't think Thai wood stain is meant for that.

Am I missing something.Do I keep giving it more coats of stain or stop and varnish or put on wood polish or something.

I'm at a loss and it's a big ceiling,anybody got any advice.

4 hours ago, chiangrai said:

Is there some reason why bamboo didn't take the stain as well as wood.

I'm thinking of putting a teak stain over it.

I'm surprised nobody knows this material it's standard material for the professionals doing old world resorts

There are 100's of different types of bamboo, but the ones I have tried to stain seem to take to a combination stain/varnish.  After a while some have started peeling but, by then, they have gone past the intended purpose anyway.  ??

8 hours ago, chiangrai said:

Try a 50/50 mix of varnish/thinners 1st coat followed by a couple of coats of varnish. Why put a teak effect stain on bamboo? Varnish will bring out the beauty of the bamboo.

I'm surprised nobody knows this material it's standard material for the professionals doing old world resorts

What makes you think nobody knows about this product?

Try a 50/50 mix of varnish/thinners 1st coat followed by a couple of coats of varnish. Why put a teak effect stain on bamboo? Varnish will bring out the beauty of the bamboo.

What makes you think nobody knows about this product?

The beauty of the bamboo is already gone.

It's had 12 coats of redwood stain on it.

I know you must be thinking why did I do that.

I reckoned that the blond bamboo would clash with all the

redwood in the room and I still think that.

But the redwood stain just won't go dark it just stays red and streaky.On the 2 other types of wood it went a beautiful rich dark tone after 3 coats.

All I can think of doing is to put a coat of teak or mahogany stain to try and make it dark.

1 hour ago, chiangrai said:

The beauty of the bamboo is already gone.

It's had 12 coats of redwood stain on it.

I know you must be thinking why did I do that.

I reckoned that the blond bamboo would clash with all the

redwood in the room and I still think that.

But the redwood stain just won't go dark it just stays red and streaky.On the 2 other types of wood it went a beautiful rich dark tone after 3 coats.

All I can think of doing is to put a coat of teak or mahogany stain to try and make it dark.

It's not going to work I'm afraid.