NACC chief withdraws from panel on Prawit wristwatch scandal

webfact

NACC chief withdraws from panel on Prawit wristwatch scandal

By Kas Chanwanpen 
The Nation

5a676a981dd687e9540f883d80d4b3e7.jpeg

NACC President Pol Gen Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit

Anti-graft President Pol Gen Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit will withdraw himself from examination of the case concerning Deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwan’s multimillion-baht collection of wristwatches.

Worawit Sukboon, secretary-general of the National Anti-Corruption Commission, announced at a press conference on Wednesday morning that Watcharapol had stated his intention at an NACC meeting the day before.

Watcharapol has been closely connected to General Prawit since 2014, when he served as deputy secretary-general of the Office of the Prime Minister.

After it became widely known that Prawit had in his possession up to 25 watches whose value far exceeded his earnings, citizens made it clear they didn’t trust Watcharapol to oversee an NACC investigation into the matter.

Prawit also failed to declare the watches to the NACC as valuable assets when he joined the Cabinet, as is required by law.

Worawit said the NACC had asked Prawit for a third time to provide further information about how he came to possess so many luxury watches.

General Prawit has said he merely borrowed the watches from wealthy friends. Now, Worawit said, the agency had arranged to interview several individuals Prawit named in connection with the matter.

He said the investigation should be completed by the end of February. If the watches do indeed turn out to belong to Prawit’s friends, he could not be judged guilty of concealing assets, Worawit said, but the NACC would consider other legal aspects of the case.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30337036

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-24

"He said the investigation should be completed by the end of February." 

With the NACC Chief removing himself, there is no more allegation of bias and everything now rests on Prawit's close friends accepting that they loaned him the watches. We shall wait with bated breath for the suspense....guilty or not! 

Just a like a chess move looking two or three steps ahead. By removing himself from the panel now, when the verdict DOES come in that Prawit is cleared of all charges and nothing untoward ever happened and all watches were indeed "loaned"...Prayut, Prawit and the boys can claim that the whole investigation was completely thorough and no bias or nepotism occurred. Then of course chastise the media or any critic if they ever bring it up again and say "that case is closed and he was cleared of all charges!"

5 minutes ago, saakura said:

"He said the investigation should be completed by the end of February." 

With the NACC Chief removing himself, there is no more allegation of bias and everything now rests on Prawit's close friends accepting that they loaned him the watches. We shall wait with bated breath for the suspense....guilty or not! 

Of course there will not only be bias, given that some put in their positions by the Junta, but they will be easily threatened or cajoled into doing exactly what they are told. This is nothing but a bit of late PR trying to get some of the criticism off their backs.

6 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Of course there will not only be bias, given that some put in their positions by the Junta, but they will be easily threatened or cajoled into doing exactly what they are told. This is nothing but a bit of late PR trying to get some of the criticism off their backs.

You might be right (i suspect you are). 

However by doing this they do please the public perception. ( i don't think anything really changed for the outcome). 

The NACC officials were given another 9 years by the NLA even though that was challenged as not constitutional. That will assured that they work for the junta and without Watcharapol, they will continue to protect their masters. Not expecting otherwise. His leaving just a charade and will not change things. 

A really big show.  Wonder if watch companies would play along with a charade.  Websites already describe Prawit as a famous, celebrity customer of such luxury brands. 

I was offered an expensive watch to wear at a job interview.  Found it rather strange.  Some people are like that.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

A really big show.  Wonder if watch companies would play along with a charade.  Websites already describe Prawit as a famous, celebrity customer of such luxury brands. 

I was offered an expensive watch to wear at a job interview.  Found it rather strange.  Some people are like that.

That's strange. Look, I myself have a dozen or more friends who will give me their watch just for fun for some years. They never ask to give them back. I'm happy to show my friend's watches to the public. The cheapest is a golden Rolex, but there are also Pateks. So I really pity you that you don't have such friends

3 hours ago, JaiDeeMakh said:

Just a like a chess move looking two or three steps ahead. By removing himself from the panel now, when the verdict DOES come in that Prawit is cleared of all charges and nothing untoward ever happened and all watches were indeed "loaned"...Prayut, Prawit and the boys can claim that the whole investigation was completely thorough and no bias or nepotism occurred. Then of course chastise the media or any critic if they ever bring it up again and say "that case is closed and he was cleared of all charges!"

Somebody is really looking to save face here..... 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

General Prawit has said he merely borrowed the watches from wealthy friends. Now, Worawit said, the agency had arranged to interview several individuals Prawit named in connection with the matter.

Well I for one certainly hope that these individuals are also informed to bring with them to the interview all paperwork relating to their ownership of the aforementioned items.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the investigation should be completed by the end of February. If the watches do indeed turn out to belong to Prawit’s friends, he could not be judged guilty of concealing assets, Worawit said, but the NACC would consider other legal aspects of the case.

What Garbage; there are the people in authority here ??!! my 15 year old nephew could do better

On 1/24/2018 at 12:38 AM, smutcakes said:

Shhh...! No one is supposed to notice! Hippy hoppity the Toad moves on.