Hostesses harassed at men-only charity gala in London - FT says

snoop1130

7 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I doubt if either of you read the FT.

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

Has the F.T. changed recently ?

It did used to be a newspaper that deals with Financial issues , investments , stocks ans shares and that kind of thing .

I havent seen one for a good few years .

Is the Financial Times now a low class red top tabloid ?

As I thought. No idea about the FT at all really.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Its a newspaper that you clearly do not read and probably never did.

Whether I read the newspaper is besides the point .

I did ask you a question, to explain what kind of newspaper the Financial times was and re[;lied that I dont read it !!!!

As far as I am aware, this  story is the first time that the F.T, has ever reported on this kind of story, do correct me if Im wrong

I just thought of something.

Perhaps some one wanted to damage the image of some of the rich attending the party.For reasons that are anyones quess but where money is involved probably business in some form Some one with contacts with FT. So send the ball busting fems and let them do the dirty work.

33 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I just thought of something.

Perhaps some one wanted to damage the image of some of the rich attending the party.For reasons that are anyones quess but where money is involved probably business in some form Some one with contacts with FT. So send the ball busting fems and let them do the dirty work.

Perhaps this, perhaps that.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Whether I read the newspaper is besides the point .

I did ask you a question, to explain what kind of newspaper the Financial times was and re[;lied that I dont read it !!!!

As far as I am aware, this  story is the first time that the F.T, has ever reported on this kind of story, do correct me if Im wrong

And how exactly would a non-FT reading person characterise 'this' kind of story?

13 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

And how exactly would a non-FT reading person characterise 'this' kind of story?

Looks like he is unable to tell us what type of story he is criticising the FT (a paper he doesn't read) from running. Well fancy that!

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Looks like he is unable to tell us what type of story he is criticising the FT (a paper he doesn't read) from running. Well fancy that!

As you replied to yourself, I dont think that the word "us" can be used, unless you are talking about yourself being more than one person

20 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

As you replied to yourself, I dont think that the word "us" can be used, unless you are talking about yourself being more than one person .

And I was quite obviously referring to the story in the O.P, and I also wasnt criticising the F.T, just questioning why they covered this story

35 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That will explain their dislike of hetro males cavorting with females 

Don't you find it all rather passé?

I think an awful lot of the female bleating is over the top, but these men only bashes are embarrassingly past their sell by date 

11 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

It's obvious that the waitresses/hostesses knew 'the score' in advance.

From the report of the reporter it was not...

My thoughts are they were trying to recruit ladies of questionable status, but you can not directly advertise for ladies with low moral standing or it will give the game away.

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am still waiting for you to describe what kind of newspaper the Financial times is .

I was a newspaper delivery boy in the late 60's/early 70's. My paper round included quite a few well-to-do houses where the FT was delivered. So, I think I can answer your question.

Answer: It was bloody heavy.

14 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I was a newspaper delivery boy in the late 60's/early 70's. My paper round included quite a few well-to-do houses where the FT was delivered. So, I think I can answer your question.

Answer: It was bloody heavy.

The only thing that would make the FT heavy in weight nowadays would be the Weekend FT when it comes with the large format glossy How To Spend It magazine or equivalent specials eg on Yachts, Fashion, etc. Throw in the Weekend magazine supplement and the whole thing is a bit of a carry. The regular weekday edition only about 12 pages for the main paper and 8 for the Business Section.

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The only thing that would make the FT heavy in weight nowadays would be the Weekend FT when it comes with the large format glossy How To Spend It magazine or equivalent specials eg on Yachts, Fashion, etc. Throw in the Weekend magazine supplement and the whole thing is a bit of a carry. The regular weekday edition only about 12 pages for the main paper and 8 for the Business Section.

As I recall, there was no glossy supplement in the 60's/70's and, regarding the weight, I may be exaggerating a little (hey, I was just a teenager at the time). However, the FT was a really serious newspaper (so were the Grauniad, Times, Telegraph, Observer, even the Express - before it became a tabloid). This sort of scandalous story would have been News of the World fodder. Maybe the FT would have given it half a column.

I can't wait for the next edition of Private Eye - this will shurely make the front cover.

On 1/24/2018 at 7:22 PM, BEVUP said:

So they knew it was a mens only event but were allowed in

What were they expecting 

& as mentioned it use to be called Flirting

I've been in the position of being reamed out by the boss of a project as I was trying to put the hard word on a women in Auss ( in a construction camp facility ) These women think they are the untouchables (wanna be cops )

She obviously didn't like it (a flirting attempt )

So the west can keep their BS, much better here 

They were working the event as servers and getting hands shoved in their crotches.

You think it's acceptable to grab people's crotches?  

1 hour ago, PhuketSarah said:

They were working the event as servers and getting hands shoved in their crotches.

No, but they knew the type of event for which they were being employed as waitresses/hostesses - made even more clear by the 'uniform'.   Skimpy, plus matching knickers and high heels required....

They were also told that any overly bad behaviour should be reported to a named supervisor - reinforcing again that they knew it was a 'go-go club' type event.

Just now, evadgib said:

How much was your own subscription?

At least one poster is missing the point.

The FT used to be an entirely business oriented newspaper.

Admittedly, I haven't read it for many years - so it came as a suprise to read about this tabloid type journalism in the FT!

Presumably the FT is having to include 'tabloid' journalism to increase sales - as have all (?) other newspapers.

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Should society ban the likes of the Chippendales or are female audiences/male performers/staff attending those nights exempt?

What has that got to do with the topic of women being groped against their will? https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-harassment/men-only-gala-where-hostesses-were-groped-faces-backlash-in-britain-idUSKBN1FD155

12 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

No, but they knew the type of event for which they were being employed as waitresses/hostesses - made even more clear by the 'uniform'.   Skimpy, plus matching knickers and high heels required....

They were also told that any overly bad behaviour should be reported to a named supervisor - reinforcing again that they knew it was a 'go-go club' type event.

So?  Working as a dancer,  model,  hostess  or whatever does not give men permission to grab your genitals. Working as a prostitute might but I imagine there are ground rules on that sort of rough play and it would be agreed upon. 

Edited by PhuketSarah

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Just now, PhuketSarah said:

So?  Working as a model, or hostess  or whatever does not give men permission to grab genitals. Working as a prostitute might but I imagine there are ground rules- maybe you could tell me more about that? 

Really??? :saai:

Seriously depressing that you would stoop that low in your directly personal comment....

It's really not that hard to answer the points raised, rather than resorting to personal insults.

2 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

We're in Thailand, there's loads of ladyboys that think it's OK to grab my crotch as I'm walking by in a public road.

God knows what they would do if I dressed up as a prostitute in a ladyboy only event.

Anyway, this was a men only event, if the reporter hadn't snuck in, there would have been no objections from the hired hookers.

Edited by MaeJoMTB