Putting sand bags in the back of the pickup for safety

davidst01

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The leaf springs and live axles on most pickups need to be loaded to some extent to achieve optimum handling. As the OP has noted, unloaded does hop around quite a bit, particularly on rough roads. The technical term is axle tramp.

I knew an axle tramp once.  She was only interested in me because of my wheels.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Probably a Revo, not a Vios.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Probably a Revo, not a Vios.

You are correct getting confused with my wife’s car it was a Vigo,

3 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

No Vigo 5 years ago.

Yes it was getting confused with the names but apart from that issue ever had a problem

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Party Pooper!!

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Party Pooper!!

As far as the comment by” anythingleft” we were were not speeding as it would be impossible or suicidal on that stretch of road which we travel regularly and know well

I can only assume that it was an unusual set of road conditions, Interestigly enough about two months later we saw a similar model in exactly the same position as where we ended up coincidence perhaps ?

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Must learn the ups and downs of a ride...A pickup ain't a saloon....:stoner:

Exactly have driven pickups in Australia on and off for years with no issues  but interesting that the new model has a stabilizer fitted also read some commentary from South Africa about problems experienced there

Never had the same problem again and borrowed the vehicle only last week for a 6 hour round trip using the same route

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Exactly have driven pickups in Australia on and off for years with no issues  but interesting that the new model has a stabilizer fitted also read some commentary from South Africa about problems experienced there

Never had the same problem again and borrowed the vehicle only last week for a 6 hour round trip using the same route

Basic stuff can be improved with basic stuff....A drivers thing to improve...:stoner:

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I am not questioning you, I am saying one can fit stuff to make want you want better..:smile:

Sorry I thought it was  “ dig “

after this happened which was about 5 years ago I spoke to the local Toyota dealer from where it was bought and were quite helpful

They recommended a place who seemed to know about the issue and suggested fitting a stabilizer similar to what was fitted to the Fortuner

Its really like a big shock absorber and seemed to do the job

You could feel it pull the back down and fortunately never had a problem after that time

As far as the comment by” anythingleft” we were were not speeding as it would be impossible or suicidal on that stretch of road which we travel regularly and know well
I can only assume that it was an unusual set of road conditions, Interestigly enough about two months later we saw a similar model in exactly the same position as where we ended up coincidence perhaps ?
Hey, up to you. Fill the back full of crap if you so wish
For me never had a problem with the pick up that I own, and it does a lot of miles. As another poster replied -drive within the limits of the vehicle and the road conditions- quite frankly if you do that then you wont need to put any weight in the back or modify the vehicle in any way

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

For me never had a problem with the pick up that I own, and it does a lot of miles. As another poster replied -drive within the limits of the vehicle and the road conditions- quite frankly if you do that then you wont need to put any weight in the back or modify the vehicle in any way

2 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Never mentioned putting anything in the back at the time was driving well within the limits I just love the arm chair experts

13 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Never mentioned putting anything in the back at the time was driving well within the limits I just love the arm chair experts

There's a lot of pickup owners here, me included, and in the 6 years I've been driving them never had the back get away from me, but even a sports car will do a 360 if not driven to either the road conditions or just badly.

13 hours ago, giddyup said:

There's a lot of pickup owners here, me included, and in the 6 years I've been driving them never had the back get away from me, but even a sports car will do a 360 if not driven to either the road conditions or just badly.

Or sometimes the road simply requires traction. And without load that can be impossible for trucks and minibuses.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Or sometimes the road simply requires traction. And without load that can be impossible for trucks and minibuses.

I guess if you live at the top of a mountainous dirt road or in the Alps.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Must admit I lost the rear of an unloaded HGV rigid truck once, frightened the life out of me.

31 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I guess if you live at the top of a mountainous dirt road or in the Alps.

Or here in Thailand, where I know one road where I see on many occasions car slipping backwards, unloaded trucks and unloaded minibuses.

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Or here in Thailand, where I know one road where I see on many occasions car slipping backwards, unloaded trucks and unloaded minibuses.

Is it worth loading up your pickup with sandbags for a road you may never use? I guess it does depend where you live, but in 7 years have never needed any more traction than what I have, ie an empty pickup tray.

20 minutes ago, Issanman said:

I have occasionally felt my truck trying to dance sideways on some straight, bumpy roads.

Perhaps a shock-absorber upgrade would help to improve that situation?

I believe only leaf springs on the rear of a pickup.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Is it worth loading up your pickup with sandbags for a road you may never use? I guess it does depend where you live, but in 7 years have never needed any more traction than what I have, ie an empty pickup tray.

You may not drive those roads, but the OP, who asked about this since he does experience problems, apparently does.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:00 PM, tweedledee2 said:

in fact it will help also with breaking as it will add to the down force.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, davidst01 said:

but the issue is not stopping distance but the back end sliding out. what are your thoughts on that mr scientist?

The issue was braking and, therefore, stopping distance according to the post that he was referring to Mr Not-A-Reader.

4 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

4 bags is equal to a 200 pound man sitting in the back,  Does not hurt my economy a bit.  I run between 14 and 15 kilometers per liter. 

You may not have measured the difference but for the same road conditions and the same driving technique it is impossible to load a vehicle with any weight and for that weight not to affect the amount of fuel needed to move the vehicle the same distance and speed. It is just not physically possible.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You may not have measured the difference but for the same road conditions and the same driving technique it is impossible to load a vehicle with any weight and for that weight not to affect the amount of fuel needed to move the vehicle the same distance and speed. It is just not physically possible.

What he said.     Finally, another poster that has some knowledge of the laws of physics.  I do not fault anyone's input on subjects that they have some actual knowledge about.  But, when their input demonstrates their lack of knowledge or common sense, it requires addressing. 

On 1/25/2018 at 6:09 PM, sawadee1947 said:

maybe you cannot drive such car???????????

Great, helpful answer. 

A new truck that I bought one time was doing just this, after 40 years of experience driving trucks and it was a white knuckle drive all the time. After being advised to put a heavy steel plate in the back (and accepting increased fuel usage)  I eventually changed the tyres, problem solved. The tyre seller said I wasn't the first to have this problem. 

Don't worry about sandbags and stuff, your experience was quite possibly due to a false combination of tyres to truck.

Or the wrong truck, they should after all, be designed to be driven fully loaded, not empty, but this shouldn't be a problem on newer models