Video: Could new U-Turn design be the beginning of the end of road carnage in Thailand?

webfact

Video: Could new U-Turn design be the beginning of the end of road carnage in Thailand?

1am.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Thai media was answering a highly pertinent question yesterday after footage of a newly designed U-turn was widely viewed on social media.

Could the Highway Department's new design help save lives and mark the beginning of the end of Thailand's infamous status as number one in the world for road accidents.

Or - as was pointed out by an initial Thai post - would lawbreaking render them useless anyway?

The U-turns - there are two in use on the same stretch of Rama II road in Samut Songkhram - make it possible for traffic to make turns without holding up oncoming traffic. Manager said they looked safe and easy to use.

There is no need to cut in front of traffic or take unnecessary risks.

U-turn areas are a major cause of accidents in Thailand.

A third U-turn of a similar design is expected to be build further along the same road soon - they will then be at KM markers 69, 74 and 77.

Manager said many people commented on the design that has come from the Highways' Department.

But somewhat amusingly the first comment on Facebook was not about the large truck successfully making the turn but about the motorcyclist who disobeys the U-turn's markings and crosses the road regardless at the end of the video.

The footage came from "Tae Playmaker". 

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-25

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like an improvement to me. Better/safer flow back into traffic after the turn, I assume this will also reduce or eliminate the highly dangerous fast-lane u-turn queues.

Certainly more practical than the recent J-turn presented. 

Before even playing the video, I saw the cones protecting the turn in the screen-grab and thought that would be open to abuse, our motorbike riding friend didn’t disappoint !

First time I've seen this U-turn. Good job. Having a 10m wide grass dividing strip makes it workable. Maybe put a solid barrier seperating the turning lane approach from the fast lane.

This will stop the inevitable impatient numbnuts from pushing in.

Looks like an improvement on what they have now to me. I cringe when I see people pulling out into 3 lanes of traffic travelling at 80 to 90 kph but as has been stated previously  the new U turns need to be used correctly no Thai style imaginary lanes.

24 minutes ago, realfunster said:

It looks like an improvement to me. Better/safer flow back into traffic after the turn, I assume this will also reduce or eliminate the highly dangerous fast-lane u-turn queues.

If you look at the fast lane U-turns on Bang na Trad road between Chonburi and bangkok, you will see that there would be some major construction work needed to implement these styles of U-turns. Seems it would be no better than the large concrete blocks they place at some of these turns to shield the turner from oncoming fast lane traffic.

From the article: 
--------

There is no need to cut in front of traffic or take unnecessary risks.

-------

But they will.  What happens when old mate decides he wants to get into that driveway on the left, he can still drive over/through the bollards and will cut across traffic to get there.  

Where I live we already have a good uturn and merging lanes.  People don't use them properly.  As soon as they're in the merging lane they immediately cut across two lanes of traffic travelling at speed to get to the next uturn.

It's a start, sure, but without some kind of education campaign about how to use these u-turns and merge with traffic properly, it's fairly useless.  

Edited by akirasan

That's a new one isn't it?

With the bollards an' all keeping the lane clear?

Everything in place and doing its job.......'cos it's new.

Don't things look lovely in Thailand when they're all new and everything's in place and doing its job?

And nothing needs fixing 'cos it's broken or.......gone.

Edited by Enoon

The missus was very surprised at how well roundabouts work in the UK, where drivers are actually taught how to use them and generally respect the rules. Of course such a system is much safer and better for general traffic flow than any system involving u-turns, but without proper driver training they don't work, hence the u-turn culture.

41 minutes ago, peperobi said:

Absolutely not! As long peoples driving in the wrong direction (ghost drivers), no light by night...and, and, and...

And now there are loads of motocy drivers without licenseplate so they can do all the illegal things they want.

Just now, madmitch said:

The missus was very surprised at how well roundabouts work in the UK, where drivers are actually taught how to use them and generally respect the rules. Of course such a system is much safer and better for general traffic flow than any system involving u-turns, but without proper driver training they don't work, hence the u-turn culture.

My missus was very surprised that ANY car in Europe just stops for her when she uses a Zebralane or just crosses the street. And she couldn't believe how good all roadusers knew the trafficrules and how to use them. Thailand is soooo far behind the developed world.

40 minutes ago, electric said:

First time I've seen this U-turn. Good job. Having a 10m wide grass dividing strip makes it workable. Maybe put a solid barrier seperating the turning lane approach from the fast lane.

This will stop the inevitable impatient numbnuts from pushing in.

Without everyone making the U-Turn having to wait for a break in oncoming traffic, there shouldn't be a ridiculous queue to push into.

17 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Unless segregated by fully closed concrete walls this will have little effect as the scooter rider at the end of the clip clearly demonstrated!

That would be an improvement.

Of course people coming from the other direction will then slam into the curved lateral portion of the wall.

Instead of, as is the present case, vehicles making the u-turn.

Bingo! Deaths at u-turns halved!

Edited by Enoon

41 minutes ago, the guest said:

Perhaps looking to other countries who have a better system, would help the Thais reduce accidents on the road?

Thais cannot do as you suggest because to look at better systems in other countries would be a tremendous loss of face.  Even those who have already been to other countries and seen better systems do not voice their opinions as it would create too much of an adverse reaction.  Look back at how many times people were sent to other countries in order to "look" at underground and overhead transportation systems.  Most were not involved in transportation but were sent out on junkets because they had "assisted" in the election of politicians. besides just looking at better ways to do things does not imply that the better way would ever be implemented.  For many years their recommendations were the same, "We cannot do it because, because, because,..."

Its took a few years and 11 deaths on a particular bad U-turn,in my area,

before they finally realised that something needed doing,and closed off

this particular U-turn.

It was situated on a bend,so turning right ,you had seconds before a

vehicles came speeding around the corner,it was even more dangerous 

when you had vehicles turning left blocking your view of the road,

regards worgeordie