why no love and respect for farang no more in asia

opalred

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I understand that you don't like Trump, do not try and impart any similarity to Thais. I doubt Thais give more than a passing thought to him, and I have yet to be collared by a Thai that wishes to discuss Trump, let alone about how they hate him, or how they now dislike Americans because he is their president.

Honestly, it gets boring having the usual posters bringing Trump into every post, no matter if he is nothing to do with the OP.

You make it sound like no matter where they live Thais are genetically pre-disposed to apathy about what's going on in the world, which simply isn't true. For example, when you google Donald Trump in Thai script (ดอนัลด์ ทรัมป์) you get over a million hits.

I follow Thai language television and web news regularly, and Trump is in the news all the time. Prayut's visit to the White House, the war of words between Trump and Kim Jung-un over missile launches, the US position on Myanmar's ethnic cleansing of Rohingyas, Trump's withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific partnership trade treaty and the Paris climate agreement, friction between America and China in the South China Sea, his cosying up to Duterte, Trump's attendance at the ASEAN summit, the Charlottesville, VA clashes between right wing nationalists and Civil war statue protesters and the controversy over Trump's ensuing remarks, his sex scandals, and even his recent medical exam have all been covered in the Thai language media.

I ran into a humble family from my village at the local government hospital last week. We talked about weight loss and cholesterol and I brought up Trump's recent physical. I was somewhat surprised, to discover that they were aware that Trump liked to eat hamburgers. Not everybody, by any stretch of the imagination, but based on the extent Trump is covered in the Thai language press, and  conversations I've had with Thais about current events, I'd say you under appreciate the extent to which Thais are interested in what's going on in the world.

And just for the record, Thais loved Obama. The color of his skin was right in the middle of the Thai skin pigment spectrum. And don't forget that Obama spent a good part of his childhood in Southeast Asia. As for Trump??? What's there for Thais to like? Anti-free trade? Anti-immigration? Anti non-white people? Doesn't care about global warming and it's impact on SE Asia? Picking fights with world leaders left and right? LOL, maybe they like him because he has a lot of money. 

Edited by Gecko123

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

You make it sound like no matter where they live Thais are genetically pre-disposed to apathy about what's going on in the world, which simply isn't true. For example, when you google Donald Trump in Thai script (ดอนัลด์ ทรัมป์) you get over a million hits.

I follow Thai language television and web news regularly, and Trump is in the news all the time. Prayut's visit to the White House, the war of words between Trump and Kim Jung-un over missile launches, the US position on Myanmar's ethnic cleansing of Rohingyas, Trump's withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific partnership trade agreement and the Paris Climate agreement, friction between America and China in the South China Sea, his cosying up to Duterte, Trump's attendance at the ASEAN summit, the Charlottesville, VA clashes between right wing nationalists and Civil war statue protesters and the controversy over Trump's ensuing remarks, his sex scandals, and even his recent physical medical exam have all been covered in the Thai language media.

I ran into a humble family from my village at the local government hospital last week. We talked about weight loss and cholesterol and I brought up Trump's recent physical. I was somewhat surprised, to discover that they were aware that Trump liked to eat hamburgers. Not everybody, by any stretch of the imagination, but based on the extent Trump is covered in the Thai language press, and  conversations I've had with Thais about current events, I'd say you under appreciate the extent to which Thais are interested in what's going on in the world.

And just for the record, Thais loved Obama. The color of his skin was right in the middle of the Thai pigment spectrum. And don't forget that Obama spent a good part of his childhood in Southeast Asia. As for Trump??? What there for Thais to like? Anti-free trade? Anti-immigration? Anti non-white people? Picking fights with world leaders left and right? LOL, maybe they like him because he has a lot of money. 

AGREED...Trump is on local Thai news channels almost daily and they don't care for him IMO. Shake their heads with disdain and laugh at his rude, crude, silly, childish assholeishness often too! :clap2:

Edited by Skeptic7

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

AGREED...Trump is on local Thai news channels almost daily and they don't care for him IMO. Shake their heads with disdain and laugh at his rude, crude, silly, childish assholeishness often too! :clap2:

You think they prefer the general's hour a day?

20 hours ago, smotherb said:

By whom are Americans perceived as having money, the envious Brits? While the UK cannot even make the top ten of European countries in income; there are several European countries where incomes are as much or more than the US.

Additionally, I imagine most Thais cannot tell the difference between an American and a European without asking; and even fewer know how much we get paid.

But U.S. disposable income after taxes is the highest in the western world (sources: investopedia, statistica.com, etc.)

Edited by Dustdevil

17 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

But U.S. disposable income after taxes is the highest in the western world (sources: investopedia, statistica.com, etc.)

They say 47% of middle class Americans couldn't pay an unexpected $400 bill, and would be bankrupt in 2 months if they lost their jobs. They may have more disposable income, but that's one hell of a treadmill.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/my-secret-shame/476415/

Edited by MaeJoMTB

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's true that Americans as a whole have lost face by electing a Neanderthal president. What a change from when Obama was elected.

:cheesy:x 100.

I actually lived in LOS during Obama's terms, and to say that local Thais gave him much thought would be an overstatement. 

Number of times I heard Thais mention Obama- ZERO.

Number of times I heard Thais mention Trump- ZERO.

Yeah, they gave Tiger Woods a little bit more respect than Obama, only  because his mother was Thai, but the Royals denied him Thai Citizenship (why he wanted it is anyones guess):coffee1:

4 hours ago, smotherb said:

Ah, tunnel my man, I usually have your back. I do agree, " . . . treating/speaking to people like people and not underlings, then you get respect . . ." However, I seldom wear anything but shorts, t-shirts and clogs; unless riding long distances or attending some formal f   unction. I gave up my suits and ties when I retired and I simply do not want to act my age; I am older than dirt.

I too dress conservatively being 'retired' - ironed shorts, short sleeve shirts with a collar, leather sandals, not 'Blackwater Wannabee'  cargo pants, flip-flops, wife beater T-shirts with yesterdays food stains on them -  Unkept hair, untrimmed beard that belongs on a billy goat or the Abominable Snowman  -  you know the type.  I see enough of these people in Pattaya to make me sick to my stomach, always wonder if they dressed like that 'back home'.  I am on the north side of 67, headed to 68............Peace    :post-4641-1156694083:

On 1/25/2018 at 7:50 PM, Mahseer said:

Try Burma especially the smaller towns. I am in Dawei at present and local folk are brilliant. Simple smile and a 'mingalapar' and you get the same in return.

Got that right! I am currently buggering about in the rice paddies north of Bago and it's just like the backwoods of Thailand were +35 years ago. All good fun when we grab lunch at any local, roadside restaurant where the waitresses get all excited and cutely flustered as they have no menu's and no clue how to explain what the mystery meat is in the buffet selection. Great fun, all giggles, smiles, waves and kyejuu! when we leave.

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

Great, someone who researches, but we were discussing how the Thais perceive US income. I doubt they know the difference between disposable vs. discretionary income. I believe discretionary income may be a better measure.

On 1/26/2018 at 1:43 PM, alex8912 said:

Didn't you get the OP was just being obnoxious when he posted not being American? There was no mention of where he was from ( but it would be easy to guess) ... Do you really see poor behavior( behaviour lol ) ...

I reckon the OP, Opalred, is an Australian. They've been known to spell 'behaviour' with a 'u', too.

22 minutes ago, opalred said:

reading the posts 

i wonder which country would get the smiles and respect now

German 

oz 

NZ

UK

Indianian  

Muslims 

USA and others

My personal observation is that no nationality necessarily has an inside track, but Norwegiens seem to be temperamentally compatible with Thai women. The three most important qualities? Affability, generosity, and not being overly talkative. A guy who loves to talk about his feelings is the last thing most Thai women are looking for.

Link to thread which asks similar question:

Edited by Gecko123

19 hours ago, MartinL said:

I reckon the OP, Opalred, is an Australian. They've been known to spell 'behaviour' with a 'u', too.

Australia produces over 90% of the world's opal, so his monicker is also a clue.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

My personal observation is that no nationality necessarily has an inside track, but Norwegiens seem to be temperamentally compatible with Thai women. The three most important qualities? Affability, generosity, and not being overly talkative. A guy who loves to talk about his feelings is the last thing most Thai women are looking for.

Nordic, Germanic types are most likely to pay out money for family land in the jungle the build............ that's what I've always seen happening.

Then they drink themselves to death.

1 hour ago, toughlove said:

Jaded expat after many years stopped grinning. Thais respond accordingly. As Einstein said every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Try going home for a few years and then come back with silly happy grin and rediscover the smile.

BS

23 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

They say 47% of middle class Americans couldn't pay an unexpected $400 bill, and would be bankrupt in 2 months if they lost their jobs. They may have more disposable income, but that's one hell of a treadmill.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/my-secret-shame/476415/

The archetypal middle-class Americans spend too much and whenever they get a windfall they spend it on some stupid Bahamas vacation or a new set of wheels for the car or a wardrobe upgrade instead of saving and investing.

22 hours ago, smotherb said:

Great, someone who researches, but we were discussing how the Thais perceive US income. I doubt they know the difference between disposable vs. discretionary income. I believe discretionary income may be a better measure.

Maybe, but discretionary income varies greatly in the U.S. from state to state and city to city. I'd love to use my discretionary funds in Miami Beach, Key West or Seattle, but I have to make do with Boise (which is quite a pleasant and easy place to retire, at least).