Tambien baan is no longer accepted by DLT

1 minute ago, Preacher said:

My first 2 year license was with my passport number and name in English on it. Since then I have had it renewed with my Thai ID-card and now it has my Thai ID-card number on it and my name on the license is in both English and Thai script.

In Pattaya ?

22 hours ago, gamini said:

The yellow book is not a tambien baan . Having lived here for the last 35 years I can not think of a single time I ever could have used it! I have posted before on this forum that it serves no purpose whatsoever.

That really is a matter of perception and what what you may be interested in. My yellow book has got me free flu jabs and free medical check up at the mobile clinic but I appreciate that may not be of any interest.

The point of significance is the pink ID card but you no doubt say that is no use either.

The Cancer hospital at Chonburi offers a check up service and when I went a few years ago I had to hand over my passport and this was passed around the various departments with the documents during the check up, which was a little bit disconcerting. When I went back a couple of weeks ago for another check up I handed over my pink ID card, just like the Thais, this was then slipped into a small plastic wallet and stapled to the check up documents, a much more sensible arrangement. But all a matter of perception.

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I have done the same.(moving a car from BKK to chonburi) I think pattaya is like a branch office and Chonburi is the head office for the province. Apparently the number plate machine is at Chonburi, pattaya waits for delivery.

It was my very first visit to a DLT and I chose Pattaya because I thought they would be more familiar with foreigners. Although I live only 12Km from the Chonburi office it was quicker and easier to get to Pattaya. Been using Chonburi ever since, yet to see that video people talk about.

14 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I needed my yellow book to open a bank account ( obviously I need my passport to make withdraws) , register a post paid sim card, register at the local government hospital, used it to renew my driver license in PATTAYA 2 years ago but needed to show the blue book as well, needed it to apply for my pink id card.................shall I go on?

By the way, you say you have credits cards, so most probably you have a work permit and yes in that case you don't need a yellow book.

no I dont have a work permit . You can use your passport for sim card, hospital, driving licence etc. No need for any other document.

Pink ID is really for PR and migrant workers. Although a few amhphurs might issue you one.  But is restricted to the area you live!

51 minutes ago, gamini said:

no I dont have a work permit . You can use your passport for sim card, hospital, driving licence etc. No need for any other document.

Pink ID is really for PR and migrant workers. Although a few amhphurs might issue you one.  But is restricted to the area you live!

You can NOT get a post paid sim card with a passport, you need either workpermit or tabien baan.

You can NOT get credit cards with only a passport, so please explain how you got your credit cards without a work permit.

Pink ID card is for everyone who has a yellow tabien baan, and is in fact just the same in card format, there is a extensive thread on this forum in that regard.

You can NOT get a driving license with only a passport, you will need at least a visa to receive a certificate of residence, but in my case they accepted the yellow book accompanied with the blue book.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Maybe you did, but no one else has ever NEEDED a yellow book to open a bank account.

Try reading up a bit in the below thread. These days it is not easy any more to open a bank account for a foreigner, most banks request a certificate of residence, which a yellow book can replace.

You don't NEED a yellow book, it replaces the NEED for a certificate of residence each time, and that was the purpose of my comment as the other poster claimed that a yellow book has no use.

It saved me the 500 Baht and a trip to immigration many times already.

Edited by janclaes47

10 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I did not need work permit to get credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Maybe you want to elaborate how you got your credit cards issued then, because every bank requires a work permit OR the amount of the  credit card limit locked in to an account.

But for sure you need to proof a permanent address in that case, which a tabien baan would solve

The yellow tambien baan is no longer accepted by Department of Land and Transport (DLT).
Today I wanted to extend my driving license(DL) at DLT in Pattaya 
and had the yellow house book with me as proof of residence, it was not accepted. 
They only accepted a Certificate of Residence (CR) from imigration, 
no tambien baan no thai ID-card not the old DL only the CR from imigration.
I went down to Jomtien and handed in my passport, 3 photos and 600 baht,
they asked me for prove of Residence, I showed my old driving license (which will soon expire)
as proof and it was accepted.

So DLT demands CR from imigration to give you a new DL and 
imigration demands a DL to give you a CR to show to DLT as proof.
T.I.T.

26 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Newly issued paper version Thai DLs?

When I renewed me license last time, now 2 years ago, there was the option for the paper version or the plastic one.

If going for the paper version you could also supply your own photo.

If it has changed since i don't know.

Edit : Not sure about the own photo option.

Edited by janclaes47

49 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

When I renewed me license last time, now 2 years ago, there was the option for the paper version or the plastic one.

If going for the paper version you could also supply your own photo.

If it has changed since i don't know.

Edit : Not sure about the own photo option.

This deserves just one word: NO.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

This deserves just one word: NO.

No problem, dive master always know better.

There is a thread on this forum where it also has been mentioned, with the exact price for the plastic one and the paper version.

Google is your friend

most DLT offices these days got a digital camera set up and the credit card license is automatically issued...

a bit off topic but what about the story that everyone hasta do a driving test now? does that requirement apply to those wanting to renew a 5 year license?

52 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

No problem, dive master always know better.

There is a thread on this forum where it also has been mentioned, with the exact price for the plastic one and the paper version.

Google is your friend

Yes, there is a thread about changing lifetime paper license to cc format. Licences that have not been issued new for 25 years or so.

New or renewed licenses issued are in cc format since more than 15 years.

Since this is off topic that is my last word on this.

Edited by stevenl

On 27/01/2018 at 6:56 PM, gamini said:

what purpose does it have that can replace use of a Thai driving licence or certificate of residence. No bank will accept the yellow book to do any transaction, they all demand a passport. I have never had a need for it, I have several bank accounts,  Thai brokerage accounts, credit cards etc. so what do I have to learn?

You are incorrect banks do accept them. If you want to pat for certificate of residence every time more fool you

2 hours ago, Ditto said:
On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:56 PM, gamini said:

No bank will accept the yellow book to do any transaction,

they all demand a passport.

You are incorrect banks do accept them.

You are incorrect Ditto, because you didn't read the post you quoted.

No bank will allow you to withdraw money with a document that doesn't have your pic on!

And even for opening an account, many banks will not accept the yellow book and will required a Certificate of Residence. It seems to be an Immigration requirement at Pattaya.

On 1/27/2018 at 1:44 PM, ratcatcher said:

Correct, tabien/tabian baan (a house registration document, commonly used in Thailand to provide proof of address)

Thai householders have a blue book. 

Is it only in Pattaya and Chiang Mai there seem to be problems re proof of residence using yellow book?

If you can get one in your province that's fine, if you can't that's no problem. It varies from one jurisdiction to another and on the mood of the boss in the amphur office on any particular day.  

"mood'' 555. My amphur boss said,''never heard of a yellow book - Farang cannot own a house'' . 

10 minutes ago, paddypower said:

"mood'' 555. My amphur boss said,''never heard of a yellow book - Farang cannot own a house'' . 

Your amphur boss is a idiot sir. House owners have blue books, farangs resident in a house owned by a wife can get a yellow book if they choose and the amphur chooses to issue one. 

The Tabien Baan (in English, the House Registration book, or Family Register) is a book containing details of everyone living at a particular address in Thailand. It is an important document for Thai people, used for voter registration, military draft for men of military age etc etc. It can be used as proof of address for anything 'official'.

Thai nationals are named in a blue book (Thai: 'Thor Ror Sip Sii'), foreigners yellow books (Thai: 'Thor Ror Sip Saam'). The only difference is the colour, they both have exactly the same function.

Any foreigner living in Thailand (legally of course, with the correct long term visa and documentation) is entitled to request a yellow house book (You do not have to hold PR status. In fact, foreigners with PR are supposed to go in the blue book). However, many Amphur offices (where the house books are issued and administered) are reluctant or just plain unwilling to issue them to foreigners. . . but be in no doubt, the law is very clear that as long as you are legitimately living in Thailand, there is no legal grounds for them to refuse you a house book. Whatever the case, it takes months to process the application, even with the most willing Amphur staff, and there are many hoops to jump through.

So why go to all the trouble? Well, the advantages are numerous, the most important ones are listed below.

Advantages

• First and foremost, you will be granted a 'Citizen's Number' (You're not a Thai citizen of course but this is how it translates into English). You are officially in the system so to speak. This is an enormously valuable step forward for your life in Thailand and it's the next best thing to your passport when dealing with government bodies and private companies alike (e.g. getting public utilities such as electricity supply, telephone landline, or satellite TV and cellular contracts etc). It is often used as definitive proof of your lawful presence in this country. The Citizen's Number will go on your Driver's License for example (ordinarily, a passport number will be used on a foreigner's license). The prefix on this Citizen's Number is an important indicator of your status (see below).
  • You will never again have to go to all the time consuming trouble and expense of getting documents issued that prove who you are and where you live, or similar documents from your embassy/consul (this is a particularly important money saver, especially if you're British, as your embassy charges grossly disproportionate fees for even the most basic of services). It saves you HEAPS of paperwork. Your days of queuing at immigration for a 'Letter of Residency' are over. It's worth the aggravation of getting your house book on this point alone. Many foreigners simply cannot understand the advantage of getting one. These are the people that are happy to be obstructed by red tape and officialdom at every turn. Yes, it's possible to manage without one but the combination of your passport, visa and Tabien Baan will eliminate nearly all of the additional red tape that is forced upon foreign residents.
  • You will be able to open an account at any Thai bank, even those that ordinarily have the strictest criteria for expatriate account holders. With a Tabien Baan, you're taken much more seriously.
  • Emotional value. The sense you are receiving greater acceptance in Thai society should not be underestimated.
  • It's free.
  • Crucially, for those with Thai family and/or children, a Tabien Baan is prerequisite if you plan on applying for Thai citizenship. Without it, there is no possibility of applying for citizenship, so for some of us (including me), a Tabien Baan is something one has to obtain, no matter what.

Disadvantages

• None

The application procedure will be applied or interpreted differently from Amphur to Amphur, so writing instructions here will be pretty pointless, and it will vary based on your circumstances. You're best contacting your local Amphur to ask them what they require of you. One thing I can tell you is that you will have to be registered at your address with the immigration department, there is no way to move forward until this has been done. If you are living here on extensions of a Non-Immigrant visa (for example, extension based on marriage to a Thai) then you will already be registered with immigration.

You apply to your Amphur, they then write to immigration asking for confirmation of your existence at your address. It took months for the response to come back in my case. As my Mother in Law is the primary resident at our address, she had to come along when I applied to sign off on some paperwork. When immigration finally responded, we got a call from the Amphur to head on down and sign some more paperwork (again, with my Mother in Law). After about 45 minutes of administrative faffing around, We walked out of the Amphur with my Tabien Baan.

When we first applied, we were told I would have to supply a translation of my passport. In the end, they never asked for it and issued the Tabien Baan anyway. I don't know if they forgot, or just decided it wasn't necessary.

I strongly recommend you take a Thai speaker with you if your Thai language skills are anything less than fluent. That Thai speaker should be coached in what needs to be done and where the law stands, so they can push the process forward if any resistance is met.

If, like many, you are shown the door and told you cannot have a Tabien Baan as a foreigner, then it's time to show them the law (politely). Hint: Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act, in combination with the 2008 revision to the act, contains the pertinent line of text you need. Google this: พระราชบัญญัติ การ ทะเบียนราษฎร

If you still don't get anywhere, and you are still resolved to getting your Tabien Baan, it's time to go higher up. You could start by calling the Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA) and asking for their advice. You should be able to get someone to contact the Amphur in question in order to enforce your rights.

Note that many foreigners have been made to pay a 'fee' for their Tabien Baan. You can interpret that however you wish, but they are always supposed to be free. I paid nothing for mine.

Your Thai ID Number

Once you have your book, it will contain a 13 digit ID number that is unique to you. It will go on things like your Driver's License, tax returns etc. It will have a single digit prefix, which indicates your status. The meanings of each number follow. This is a highly truncated translation of a Thai document:

1. Thai citizens born in Thailand after 31 May 2527.
  2. Thai citizens born in Thailand. However, they (or their parents) reported late.
  3. Thais or foreigners who have their name in a Tabien Baan born before 31 May 2527
  4. Thais or foreigners that never had ID card before
  5. Thais who missed a census but have otherwise been verified as Thai
  6. This is what most foreigners will have as their prefix until such time as they apply for naturalisation. It is for people that migrated legally (or illegally) to Thailand, are now living here legally, but have not yet obtained permanent residency or citizenship.
  7. This is for the children of #6.
  8. Foreigners with Permanent Residency, or naturalised Thai citizens.
  • Like 1