Aussie dollar Thai baht

19 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Same with the Pound, it has gained a lot over the US dollar recently but the Pound vs Baht rate has hardly changed. I think most western currencies are in the toilet due to the vast money printing that goes on. You can not print trillions of Dollars/Pounds/Euros and expect the currency to retain it's value.

The West + Japan is engaged in a race to the bottom, currency wise...while the far East is not, at least for now.

It is a very long chess game played between the US and its vassals, Australia included, vs China and its zone of influence, of which Thailand is part.

Having a weak currency, relative to others, may seem attractive and provide an edge for exports...that is, until the concerned country realizes that its currency is so weak that it is worthless!

• Thanks 1

I recently read the Govt here has a huge trade surplus. Don’t for one second think the blokes at the top here are dumb . They play a very smart game to enhance their monetary positions and are not concerned with pensioners worrying over how to make ends meet. When the charts look good , like it did a few months back where the aud was around 27 thb, bring it over . Those on pensions unfortunately have to take it on the chin. For now. 

Why are some people saying baht is overvalued? People come here to spend their pensions on cheap sex, beer or whatever and are not producing anything back home.

People here are forced to work at any age and the government doesn't spend anything on them.

Thai baht will be 15:1 $US in less than 10 years and Canadian and Aussie dollar below 10.

Of course...all of you could stimulate your currency by spending money in your own country.

Be prepared for a lot more pain and good luck.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, an indication that nobody wants to buy Australian dollars, to then buy Australian goods and services, and why would they, we dont make anything any more. A first world country that doesnt make TVs, washing machines or refrigerators. We buy other countries currencies (pushing the price up) so we can buy their products.

Its not rocket science

Australia had a huge boom digging stuff out of the ground and selling it to the Chinese.  Those were the days when teachers and other professionals were lining up to drive trucks to the ports and could earn fantastic amounts.

It still exports wine and farm produce. And there is still a healthy "export" market in education, where the Asians go to Aussieland for higher education.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

A considerable number sit in their houses all day and occassionally go for a drink in the evening with other expats, all living in the past. They are totally blinkered to the developments that have gone on around them.

In that, they are not so different from those who live in the future, glued to their screens, busy exploring virtual world with their virtual friends.

So few people pay attention to the present that the powers that be never had so much of a free hand to do as they please!

• Like 1

Yes the USD is lower against the AUD but the AUD continues to be relatively weak against the Thai Baht. Bottom line, Trump wants a lower USD and the Thai Government of the minute wants a higher Thai Baht.

33 Thai Baht to the AUD is extremely high and is unlikely to be repeated for a long long time, unless minerals take off again. I've experience the hight teens, the low to mid twenties and low thirties and I reckon the Thai Baht to the AUD is about in the middle atm.

The fact is Thailand is not such a cheap place to live any more if you want to stay relatively Western, that the problem for expats and holiday makers alike. However if you go bush it is cheaper however at risk of going tropo.

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Why are some people saying baht is overvalued? People come here to spend their pensions on cheap sex, beer or whatever and are not producing anything back home.

People here are forced to work at any age and the government doesn't spend anything on them.

Thai baht will be 15:1 $US in less than 10 years and Canadian and Aussie dollar below 10.

Of course...all of you could stimulate your currency by spending money in your own country.

Be prepared for a lot more pain and good luck.

Tough love bro'.

Yes the USD is lower against the AUD but the AUD continues to be relatively weak against the Thai Baht. Bottom line, Trump wants a lower USD and the Thai Government of the minute wants a higher Thai Baht.

33 Thai Baht to the AUD is extremely high and is unlikely to be repeated for a long long time, unless minerals take off again. I've experience the hight teens, the low to mid twenties and low thirties and I reckon the Thai Baht to the AUD is about in the middle atm.

The fact is Thailand is not such a cheap place to live any more if you want to stay relatively Western, that the problem for expats and holiday makers alike. However if you go bush it is cheaper however at risk of going tropo.

I lived in a more remote village and as you said day to day living was cheaper but a couple of trips into the big smoke and back every week negated all of the gains with the extra cost of fuel and increased mileage on ur vehicle

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

You can't talk the dollar down or up, the best you can do (and that is done by the FED) is to raise or lower interest rates which will impact the investment value of the US dollar 

Trump and his own brand of Goldman Sachs swamp dwellers don't control markets by press releases or interviews  and in case they haven't figured it out yet, they don't move the FED either 

Not true, currency valuation is all about investment and is gambling by the big boys. Politicians know currency investors are a greedy bunch and if these <deleted> get an inkling they may lose mullar they will sell at the drop of an adverse comment by the right person.

Hang in there for a short bit more.  The U.S. Treasury Department have issued a stern warning to the Bank of Thailand.  STOP MANIPULATING THE BAHT or you are joining China and India as the only three countries in the entire world who are manulipulating their currency.  The loss of face will be masive and the baht will nosedive to where it should be.  The Fed raised interest rates making investing in the U.S. more attactive,  Trump in Davos yesterday pledged to make the U.S. dollar a lot stronger and should these ja..ckoffs at the Bank of Thailand continue to ignore the warning the chickens are about to come home to roost.  I welcome this disaster for the Thai economy and fully intend to take advantage of the strong dollar.

• Like 1

The baht is controled by the central bank. The government do not want to show weakness in the baht. I am NZ and we are strong against the US$ but 23 baht to our $.  And the banks are pushing to make more money on the rates exchanges in general. The banks are controling it all around the world.

1 hour ago, idman said:

Hang in there for a short bit more.  The U.S. Treasury Department have issued a stern warning to the Bank of Thailand.  STOP MANIPULATING THE BAHT or you are joining China and India as the only three countries in the entire world who are manulipulating their currency.  The loss of face will be masive and the baht will nosedive to where it should be.  The Fed raised interest rates making investing in the U.S. more attactive,  Trump in Davos yesterday pledged to make the U.S. dollar a lot stronger and should these ja..ckoffs at the Bank of Thailand continue to ignore the warning the chickens are about to come home to roost.  I welcome this disaster for the Thai economy and fully intend to take advantage of the strong dollar.

It is not like that!

First, every country is one way or another trying to manipulate its currency.

Having said that, Trump and the US don't give a damn about what the Thai central bank is doing...it is of no consequence on a global level.

Finally, Trump was, as usual, sowing confusion!

The general idea with the USD is that, for the time being, a weaker currency is better because it will help US exports and (not said but very important) it will help import inflation...that's Mnuchin talk..

Then, in the undetermined future, the US economy having become stronger, the USD will rise again...that's Trump talk...

Obviously, all these carefully laid plans will have little chance of succeeding once confronted to the markets and their not always expected behavior...

17 hours ago, keithpa said:

The USA must be a dirt cheap place to live.

Compared to Northern Europe, Australia and New Zealand, it is... especially in anyplace outside the Northeast Corridor and the big West Coast cities. Maybe 20 to 40% cheaper.

Mate when you came here 6 years ago Australia was in the midst of its biggest resources booms ever and we were at parity, and better with the US dollar hitting 1.06 at one stage if memory serves. So if we were getting only  33 baht at parity what would you expect to get at 79¢ US? When I arrived in the 90s, 18-19 baht was the norm and when we finally hit mid 20's baht wise I was over the moon. So basically it's all relative. Personally I think 25 is about right for the Aus dollar and probably lucky to be getting that. It will be a long time, if ever, if you see 30's again and again personally I don't think that is sustainable long term. Though I am no economist nor forex expert. It is what it is.

• Like 1