2 percent excise tax rise for tobacco products and alcoholic drinks takes effect

snoop1130

2 percent excise tax rise for tobacco products and alcoholic drinks takes effect

cigarettes1.jpg

Starting today (Jan 26), all alcoholic drinks and tobacco products–both imported and domestically produced–will be charged an addition of two percent excise tax, with the extra revenue earned going into a fund to help elderly people.

However, Excise Department director-general Mr Krisada Chinavicharana said that the 2 percent rise in excise tax would have little impact on the production cost of alcoholic drinks and tobacco products as it would account for a fraction of the costs.

Citing the case of a packet of cigarettes whose excise tax amounting to 25 baht, he said that the excise tax increase would amount to just 50 satang.

Whether the tax increase would impact on the retail price of cigarettes or not depends on the policy of the manufacturers and Thailand Tobacco Monopoly if they would be willing to absorb the additional cost or to pass it on to the consumers, Mr Krisada added.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/2-percent-excise-tax-rise-tobacco-products-alcoholic-drinks-takes-effect/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-1-26

So why is my drinking supporting the elderly? 

I can't stand old people! They're slow and feeble and they smell old... I refuse to drink ever again in this country! Outrageous! 

?

It really is just peanuts. 

Edited by djayz

Given some of the scare stories floating around a while back, with massive increases suggested, 2% on just the tax rather than even the whole cost of the product is not so bad. Might mean a beer goes up about 1 baht, if that.

The skeptic in me wonders how much of the 4 Billion for the OAPs they will actually get after "expenses", but at least a small step in the right path for State Care, and not as bad as the UK Budget rises each year on fags and booze.

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Visa Runs are Deathtraps on wheels, and most of the booze and ciggies are fake.

I don't think so, i fly to Changi (promotion singapore airlines) and buy the best quality ciggies and booze there....There i enjoy the smart educated part of Asia which does speak good english and has good manners before i go back to the unmannered chaos of BKK.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

I don't think so, i fly to Changi (promotion singapore airlines) and buy the best quality ciggies and booze there....There i enjoy the smart educated part of Asia which does speak good english and has good manners before i go back to the unmannered chaos of BKK.

idea_great1.jpg.cdaf9f761b1695fc8c1c7e1a7e9c1049.jpg

Book a one way ticket

42 minutes ago, beavercreek said:

Unless they are counterfeits from Myanmar.  Hong Kong prices were shockingly high.

At the border to cambodia i once bought a carton of "marlboro" taxfree but they didn't taste like them at all...a whole carton costed 110 baht iirc but it was like smoking hay...

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

At the border to cambodia i once bought a carton of "marlboro" taxfree but they didn't taste like them at all...a whole carton costed 110 baht iirc but it was like smoking hay...

Even the much more reliable duty free in Miami were caught up in that.  I know people that can taste the difference in the swiss o as vs. The Virginia ones and probably the Asian, too...and those are all real.  I have seen them sell empty lighters, dead batteries, and refilled water bottles in Cambo...makes the mainlanders seem trustworthy.    Many swear by duty free maesai...I say bunk..same with their cigars..bunk.

8 hours ago, beavercreek said:

I was pricing small cigar prices at Inchon..I thought the price was for a bundle of five boxes..nope..single box of 8 smalls was 1100 THB...350 in the US.

For cigars Dubai taxfree has many of them. 

From my experiences working for Brown Forman (famous for owning Jack Daniels), every single tax raise was always complimented by a manufacturers price increase that the consumers would think was all tax hike.  I am sure the same happens here.  Sales reps hated tax hikes, corporate loved it.

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Visa Runs are Deathtraps on wheels, and most of the booze and ciggies are fake.

Not everywhere they are not. I go for a visa run to Immigration in Maesai, my wife pays 40B goes over the border and walks back wirh cigs at 130B for 200 and Whisky at 100B. The whisky is a local brew and very smooth better than a Walking Red one ( no advertising ). Oh and I drive there .

Just after the mother of all excise tax hikes, they sneak in this one...One day they will milk the residents & tourist cow dry, and the Thai will increasingly turn to moonshine and get all kinds of organ failures. This, by extension, will overburden hospitals and their budgets even further. 

So here are the options, nice beaches, low food prices and affordable beer and wine prices

Cambodia 1 PINT of draught beer $  1.00 (30 Bht)

Imported Beer (11.2 oz small bottle) 2.00 $

Vietnam Large bottle Tiger, Hanoi or Saigon USD 0.88 - 1.23

Bia Hoi (local, 3% alc.) USD 0.26-0.35

Burma (nice beaches on the Andaman)

Large bottle USD 1.= 

Small imported beers USD 2.=

I'm confused.  Is this the same 2% tax rise that was announced last September and was supposed to go into effect immediately (see link), but didn't seem to have any impact? Or is it another 2% increase in just a matter of months?

https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-taxes/thailand-sets-new-excise-tax-on-alcohol-cigarettes-idUSL4N1LX03R

If it's the former, then that also included a tax hike of 110 baht/bottle (minimum) on imported wine, which will make the outrageously taxed wine here even worse value for money.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:28 PM, djayz said:

I can't stand old people! They're slow and feeble and they smell old... I refuse to drink ever again in this country! Outrageous! 

?

Coming up for 46 if your birth date is correct, but born on 29 Feb I guess you think you are never going to be old?

To teenagers you already are...

And there is only one alternative to old age.

:wink:

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Coming up for 46 if your birth date is correct, but born on 29 Feb I guess you think you are never going to be old?

To teenagers you already are...

And there is only one alternative to old age.

:wink:

My comment was just in jest. Yes, I know I'm getting longer in the tooth and sometimes I feel old.

Sincerely hope it didn't offend any readers - I thought the little ? at the end would have been enough to let people know that it wasn't serious. 

Tax fund to assist the elderly! 

Let's be honest, what social care! It's true to say that there is a form of social care, or so called, but after witnessing  so many poor old folk living on the streets in filth and poverty, trying to make a living at ages way over retirement age, and in many cases next to or close by a temple, I have to think hard about such a care.

it's no wonder so many individuals in their middle ages, still live with their parents. 

From experience, the general rule of thumb is such that I personally doubt the authenticity of such a Fund and it's proposed intensions.

It's all about money and lining the pocket. Humanity is low on the humanitarian ladder of life.

TIT

On 1/26/2018 at 8:28 PM, djayz said:

?

So that the money from regular taxes that would have been used to support the elderly are now 'freed-up'  to be used for other uses?   

4 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

So that the money from regular taxes that would have been used to support the elderly are now 'freed-up'  to be used for other uses?   

Good point... freed up for whose, sorry I meant what ?, uses? 

Anyways, as I wrote in my original post, the tax adds up to peanuts (for the consumer that is).