Indefinite poll delay possible

rooster59

By SOMROUTAI SAPSOMBOON 
THE SUNDAY NATION

ac4562d3a88d07c923b85d9a3937335e.jpeg

WITH THE MP election law’s enforcement being postponed for 90 days, the next general election could now be delayed from November to February next year.

But in a worst-case scenario, the delay could be indefinite.

f379e2e580f4114b71b089aac7fc01e5.jpeg

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) on Thursday voted to postpone enforcement of the MPs election law by 90 days. The Constitution Drafting Commission (CDC), which wrote the original bill, is likely to be unhappy with changes made to its original draft, including this 90-day delay. 

a6744276a02764932058f95b745c917d.jpeg

A joint committee would be set up to settle any differences between the CDC, the law-vetting panel and the lawmakers. If they fail to reach an agreement and the NLA eventually votes down the bill, it would be a serious setback for the road map to the election. The delay in holding the next general election could be indefinite, as the Constitution does not prescribe any way out of this stalemate. A charter amendment will be needed to end the legal deadlock and that process is time-consuming. 

But that is not the only scenario that could potentially affect the road map to the election. Another election-delaying scenario involves some instructions in the order issued in December by the ruling junta National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO). The order states that after the election law is promulgated in the Royal Gazette, the Cabinet shall ask the NCPO to lift all its orders obstructing activities by political parties, and shall convene a meeting of political parties and relevant state agencies to discuss preparations for the election. 

All that should happen within June, according to the current road map. However, the tentative schedule for national polls – now surely delayed until February – could be put off further if something undesirable happened. The NCPO might not lift the ban on political activities, or the meeting between political parties and state agencies may resolve to postpone the election because some political parties are unable to meet required obligations within the deadline. 

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said last week that such possibilities are not likely to happen, but he admitted that they could not be ruled out completely. 

At the moment, nobody can guarantee there will be no further delays – not even the people in power.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said last week that “it’s not final yet” as to whether the election will be further delayed. “I don’t know what is going to happen next. This matter involves the legal mechanisms,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30337307

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-28

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we can hope that there is no election .... Thailand certainly doesn't need an election at this time. With the country ticking over at a good pace and economic development ongoing ,  the last thing Thailand needs is to go back to the protests, unruly parties, fighting, killings, insecurity, bolcked roads,  and many other things.

This government is the best thing that has happened ..... the last 3 years of security and sustainability only helps to prove that.  Khun Prayut is doing a good job ... much better than his predecessors.

Related image

53 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Need someone to hit the GPS to get the road map back on-line.

The General is waiting for the numbers.

I think a GPS is not enough to follow their road map, they will need a good chart plotter, AIS system and a Furuno 76 mile radar as well and maybe also a big life raft (if the demonstrators getting out of control) .

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I am not too worried about this, as long as it is only for a short time; February perhaps. 

If there is a delay in the poll, one has to ask 'Why?'. The only reason that I can think of is that the Junta know that they will not be able to achieve their objectives of forming a (legitimate) government at the end, so this is a good thing. And honestly, I think every time that the Junta delays the election or that there are stories about delaying the election, it is a good thing as it hurts their credibility further. By all accounts, the popularity of the Junta is slowly declining; does anyone think they can reverse that? I do not. 

There are people who felt that it was okay for the Junta to stay in power through the year-long Mourning and the Coronation; I think many/most Thais didn't have much of a problem with that. However, since the Coronation has occurred, the rationale for the Junta staying in power has weakened/finished, and I believe that it will weaken further on a daily basis. I have posted this before, but it comes down to the issue of legitimacy. There are members who question whether the Junta needs the legitimacy of a vote, but I would simply point out that if they felt that they didn't need the legitimacy of a vote, we wouldn't be talking about it.

As I read the limited media available (The Nation, The Newspaper That Cannot Be Named, international media, etc.), I see that Thai Civil Society is making a comeback. I see that Thai people are taking the risk of protesting again, even if it is small and limited. I see that the political establishment is gearing up again. I see general expectations rising. When talking to Thais, I get the sense that the Junta cannot continue without some kind of mandate (as a general rule, governments of all/any kind get 4 years then need renewal). While the international community doesn't seem to care as much as it used to, I sense that there is... dismay and/or impatience at the Junta. Taken all together, I think there a sense that the status quo cannot linger too much longer.

So, I think elections will need to happen in the first half of next year at the latest; if they don't I think that there will be some terrible reactions both inside the country (1992 again? Other?) and from the outside (EU finally decide to sanction illegal fishing- thousands lose their jobs and billions of Baht lost? Other?) and I really don't want that to occur.

To me the real and most pertinent question is whether the Junta can form a legitimate government using the appointed Senate. My instinctive answer is 'no', but I think that it is still open for debate (although not if the Junta delays the election anymore than February, then they won't be able to).

I look forward to that debate.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I don’t know what is going to happen next.

A commander saying "I don't know" ?  Is that not the kiss of death of somebody in a command position ?  This concocted government is all his.  Just goes to show how weak of a leader he is.  As Steven100 likes to post the general's GQ worthy snaps on the forum,  his words are failing to impress anyone but mindless cronies.   The humble Thai is not participating in these economic riches.  They are saddled with debt and few good job opportunities.   The last three years have only helped the wealthy and the watch industry. 

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

no way  !    Thailand is moving forward,  the High speed railway project, northern highway expansion, and many others so you cannot say that. Complete opposite.

And the junta's delusional supporters keep rehashing the same propaganda. One of them anyway!

35 minutes ago, steven100 said:

no way  !    Thailand is moving forward,  the High speed railway project, northern highway expansion, and many others so you cannot say that. Complete opposite.

It looks like the high speed train will be reduced from 300 kph to 180-200kph.  

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

hmmm ... yes, was that a cost thing because of fencing / barriers  ??

Read the Bangkok Post story and linked Nikkei Asian Review article there.  From what I know now, I'm very skeptical about the economics of this project.  But hey, if I got 30% or even 10% (acceptable corruption level for "good people") of the total investment coming I might manage to trick my brain in believing it's what the country needs too. 

I remember meeting this Thai lawyer a couple of times in a coffee shop I used to frequent.  He went to these PDRC marches and one of the things he mentioned was the Yingluck government's plans for high-speed rail that were going to bankrupt the country and be a burden to the Thai people for the next 50 years.  

Where are these voices now?  Hypocrisy and fake outrage are about expected nowadays in politics, but that PDRC mob took it not to another level but another planet.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

we can hope that there is no election .... Thailand certainly doesn't need an election at this time. With the country ticking over at a good pace and economic development ongoing ,  the last thing Thailand needs is to go back to the protests, unruly parties, fighting, killings, insecurity, bolcked roads,  and many other things.

This government is the best thing that has happened ..... the last 3 years of security and sustainability only helps to prove that.  Khun Prayut is doing a good job ... much better than his predecessors.

Related image

Elections and "real democracy" were promised in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018....

Reality is that the junta's goal from the start was to cling to power while trying to put up a facade of democracy.  They can't even get that done.

Stability will come when the elite and the military respect democratic government elected by the majority.

Regarding the economy, Thailand remains the laggard in southeast Asia, and income inequality (rich getting richer, poor getting poorer) is getting worse.

But hey... how about that repression!  Keeps things real peaceful, doesn't it Steven?

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

However, since the Coronation has occurred, the rationale for the Junta staying in power has weakened/finished, and I believe that it will weaken further on a daily basis.

Agree with that in principle, except there hasn't been an official coronation yet. Perhaps another reason to claim a delay of the election is necessary?

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Must be chairman of the General's fan club

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

Elections and "real democracy" were promised in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018....

Reality is that the junta's goal from the start was to cling to power while trying to put up a facade of democracy.  They can't even get that done.

Stability will come when the elite and the military respect democratic government elected by the majority.

Regarding the economy, Thailand remains the laggard in southeast Asia, and income inequality (rich getting richer, poor getting poorer) is getting worse.

But hey... how about that repression!  Keeps things real peaceful, doesn't it Steven?

How dare you argue with the boot polisher