marry with Myanmar girl in Thailand

Hello

my GF from Myanmar,she is working in Thailand and have working permit,currently i have tourist visa but soon i want attended Thai language course and get ED visa

i have some questions;

1-can we marriage in Thailand?

2-if we married can i get Thai visa from her working permit,because i heard if one foreigner has working permit then spouse can get also visa for stay in Thailand

I suggest you post most of your questions in the Myanmar forum.

What you want to do is possible, but will be easier if you use a good agent. Once married, with the marriage recognized in Thailand, you can get an extension of stay on the basis of your wife working in Thailand.

• Like 1

If you have robust financial assets or targeted job skills and/or are an investor in accordance with Thailand's stated investment goals, then you will be able to do what you ask. However, if you are of limited financial means, or do not have the  targeted  specialized labour skills you will have a difficult time. Thailand doesn't wish to have any more marginal long stay foreigners.

Foreigners who  meet the  goals of the 4.0 strategy which focuses on strategic industries such as; New technologies,  smart electronics, medical tourism, biotechnology, food and beverages, and automotive are welcome. In particular, foreigners who can help build robotics, aerospace, digital services, bio-energy and bio-chemicals, and healthcare in Thailand are targeted as desirable residents. Thailand is not looking for  anymore shop clerks, software coders, hair dressers, cooks, waitresses, clerks etc.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

In order to register your marriage your girlfriend would need a affirmation of permit to marry from the Myanmar embassy. Unless things have changed she would not be able to get it since Myanmar law does allow their citizens to marry foreigners.

That's an interesting point... Are you talking about an Affirmation declaring that you are not married already and are free to marry now ? 

When I got mine from the British embassy, I don't recall there being anything on there with regards to who I intended to marry !! Might be wrong.

Surely this is just proof that you are not married already, so how would the Myanmar embassy know who she intended to marry ??

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Surely this is just proof that you are not married already, so how would the Myanmar embassy know who she intended to marry ??

The affirmation is named differently at each embassy or consulate. Affirmation of permit to marry is just one of them.

The affirmation does require the name, nationality and exc of the person you intend to marry. An example from the UK embassy one.

A marriage is proposed to be solemnised between me and MALI JAIDEE of HOUSE NO. 59/4, VILLAGE NO. 5 , BANG KUNG SUB - DISTRICT, MUANG SURATTHANI DISTRICT, SURATTHANI PROVINCE 84000, THAILAND, a THAI National at BANGKOK METROPOLIS in APRIL 2017.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The affirmation is named differently at each embassy or consulate. Affirmation of permit to marry is just one of them.

The affirmation does require the name, nationality and exc of the person you intend to marry. An example from the UK embassy one.

There you go... I just couldn't remember :)

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

In order to register your marriage your girlfriend would need a affirmation of permit to marry from the Myanmar embassy. Unless things have changed she would not be able to get it since Myanmar law does allow their citizens to marry foreigners.

so he can't legally marry a girl from myanmar and therefore cannot get a visa based on her WP?

I would think that the Burmese lady will have a work permit for neighbouring countries (migrant labour plan),  if this is indeed the case, even if they were allowed to marry, can a spouse get an extension of stay based on this type of work permit?

7 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

so he can't legally marry a girl from myanmar and therefore cannot get a visa based on her WP?

He has to be married to get an extension of stay  based upon her extension not her WP since it does not give a permit to stay.

As far as I know Myanmar has not changed their law about marriage to foreigner. Other have been able to get married outside of Thailand.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

spot on, Myanmar, ( as Cambodia ) embassy in Bangkok will NOT issue the affirmation of permit  but will tell you to get it in Myanmar
why not go and marry there??

as she is on a L-A 2 year migrant visa with wp i am not sure, ( not positive but), that you can not get ur visa cause ur married to her.

Myanmar law does allow their citizens to marry foreigners.

sorry joe, but 100% incorrect, I know 2 farangs married,living and working in Myanmar married to Burmese ladies..One in Mandalay, one in Ye

Edited by phuketrichard

3 minutes ago, Mattd said:

if this is indeed the case, even if they were allowed to marry, can a spouse get an extension of stay based on this type of work permit?

No extension is based upon a work permit. It would depend upon the type of extension or visa (non-la possibley) she has. If she has an extension of stay based upon on working or non-la visa he could get one based upon being her spouse if the were able to get married.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

No extension is based upon a work permit. It would depend upon the type of extension or visa (non-la possibley) she has. If she has an extension of stay based upon on working or non-la visa he could get one based upon being her spouse if the were able to get married.

So it is really going to depend on whether she actually has a passport and extension of stay of some sort, as opposed to the special permission that some migrants can get.

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

If you have robust financial assets or targeted job skills and/or are an investor in accordance with Thailand's stated investment goals, then you will be able to do what you ask. However, if you are of limited financial means, or do not have the  targeted  specialized labour skills you will have a difficult time. Thailand doesn't wish to have any more marginal long stay foreigners.

Foreigners who  meet the  goals of the 4.0 strategy which focuses on strategic industries such as; New technologies,  smart electronics, medical tourism, biotechnology, food and beverages, and automotive are welcome. In particular, foreigners who can help build robotics, aerospace, digital services, bio-energy and bio-chemicals, and healthcare in Thailand are targeted as desirable residents. Thailand is not looking for  anymore shop clerks, software coders, hair dressers, cooks, waitresses, clerks etc.

Jesus, are you having a laugh. Its plainly obvious this chap doesn't have the academia to understand or is even able to read your garbled portrayal similar to a difficult  book namely: Ulysses, by James Joyce .............

12 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Foreigners who  meet the  goals of the 4.0 strategy which focuses on strategic industries such as; New technologies,  smart electronics, medical tourism, biotechnology, food and beverages, and automotive are welcome. In particular, foreigners who can help build robotics, aerospace, digital services, bio-energy and bio-chemicals, and healthcare in Thailand are targeted as desirable residents. 

Not in Pattaya, look around, foreigners with these skills are a dime a dozen,LOL.

5 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Jesus, are you having a laugh. Its plainly obvious this chap doesn't have the academia to understand or is even able to read your garbled portrayal similar to a difficult  book namely: Ulysses, by James Joyce .............

i am self taught engineer who worked in China 5 year,i have expreince design and manufacturing electronic devices i had also exprince with generating electric etc,but i am not sure if there is any ease for me?

37 minutes ago, oom5656 said:

i am self taught engineer who worked in China 5 year,i have expreince design and manufacturing electronic devices i had also exprince with generating electric etc,but i am not sure if there is any ease for me?

Well' I work for a Mammoth company but prefer being more humble towards others not in the same boat - so to speak mate ......................................

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, oom5656 said:

Your skills will not affect whether you can get a visa to stay here based on being married to someone who is here on a work-based visa.

If you can find a company that will hire you, based on your skills and experience, then you could get your own "B" visa + extensions of stay, (and a work-permit).

First, find out if you can marry her here - or need to marry in Myanmar (under what conditions) or maybe Singapore (some marry Lao ladies, there, since Thailand will oblige Laos saying "no" to permission to marry a foreigner).

The other factor, is verifying the conditions by which Immigration will issue you with a visa, based on you being married to someone with her visa-type.