Mexico to send troops to stem violence after record 25,000 murders

webfact

Mexico to send troops to stem violence after record 25,000 murders

2018-01-29T032704Z_1_LYNXMPEE0S06Y_RTROPTP_3_MEXICO-VIOLENCE.JPG

A soldier stands guard next to a crime scene, where men were killed inside a home by unknown assailants, in the municipality of San Nicolas de los Garza, Mexico, January 27, 2018.REUTERS/Jorge Lopez

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican officials said on Sunday the government was set to unleash a new wave of troops to crack down on criminal groups in regions where a surge in violence led to more than 25,000 murders last year.

National Security Commissioner Renato Sales said federal police troops will work with local officials to round up known major criminals and bolster investigations.

The aim was "to recover peace and calm for all Mexicans," he said. He did not provide details on the number of federal police to be deployed.

More than 25,000 murders were recorded last year as rival drug gangs increasingly splintered into smaller, more blood-thirsty groups after more than a decade of a military-led campaign to battle the cartels.

Violence is a central issue ahead of the presidential election in July. Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto's ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party is trailing in third place in recent polls.

Sales said federal police troops would be deployed in the states of Colima and Baja California Sur, the resort town of Cancun and the border city of Ciudad Juarez, among others. He said more details would be forthcoming within days.

Earlier this month, the United States slapped its most stringent travel warnings on the states of Colima, Michoacan, Sinaloa, Tamaulipas and Guerrero, ranking them as bad as war-ravaged Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq.

At least 25 people were murdered in Mexico this weekend, according to officials and local media, including nine men who were executed at a house party in a suburb of the wealthy northern industrial city of Monterrey.

Masked gunmen burst into a home in San Nicholas de los Garza as a group watched a local soccer team play on television, according to state prosecutors. Seven were killed at the scene and two more died later at a hospital.

There were a wave of attacks in night spots late Saturday and early Sunday. A group of armed men killed three people in a bar in the resort city of Cancun, a Chilean tourist was killed in the Pacific beach resort of Acapulco, and two more were killed in a bar in the capital of Veracruz state.

Six more were killed in the border city of Ciudad Juarez and four more died in the border state of Tamaulipas, where at least 10 were killed during the week at outlaw road blockades and in shootouts, local media reported.

(Reporting by Michael O'Boyle and Diego Ore; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-29

Mexico used to be such an amazing place to visit. Lovely people. The seat of culture, for all of Latin America. Amazing fine art. Great food, if you know where to look. Spectacular women.

It is a shame what has happened. Alot of it can be blamed on a succession of US governments who continue to pursue the war on drugs. I firmly believe you legalize all drugs, and demand drops overnight. So does the prison population, and support for the private prison industry. Those are the real criminals. 

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Mexico used to be such an amazing place to visit. Lovely people. The seat of culture, for all of Latin America. Amazing fine art. Great food, if you know where to look. Spectacular women.

It is a shame what has happened. Alot of it can be blamed on a succession of US governments who continue to pursue the war on drugs. I firmly believe you legalize all drugs, and demand drops overnight. So does the prison population, and support for the private prison industry. Those are the real criminals. 

Isn't it more about the Americans that pay large to stick poison up their noses?

However, I believe anyone should be allowed to put poison up their nose, as long as they don't expect the taxpayer to help them.

Time to legalise all drugs and let people kill themselves without having Mexicans destroy themselves over it.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Good points. Legalizing drugs would do several positive things. Not least, it would stick a dagger in the heart of gargantuan amounts of money which siphon up to drug lords and their private armies.  It's the war on illegal drugs which is fueling so many senseless murders and misery.

33 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Why would you believe that an increase in supply would result in a drop in usage?

If drugs were legal, there would initially be about the same # of people using and abusing those drugs.  After awhile, the # would likely go down, because the people who wanted to quit, would be able to access social services and/or get 'transition drugs' to wean them off the hard stuff.  Currently, people who want to quit are criminalized (thanks to Sessions and Trump).

Currently, in the US and Canada, there is a scourge of deaths and misery revolving around highly addictive and deadly Fentanyl and Carfentanyl (hyper-tranquilizer drugs).  Jared Kushner is supposed to be the czar addressing that, but he's doing nothing.  Many folks who are addicted to Fentanyl want to get off it, but there aren't enough social service people/funding to assist them to do so.  

Fentanyl is not a major drug regarding Mexican drug dealers.  Their drugs are coke and pot - though less pot, because pot is becoming more legally accessible in parts of the US.  

Indeed, that's possibly why the # of killings has gone up in Mexico.  There are less customers in the US for pot, so the competition for remaining customers among dealers in Mexico is getting more fierce.  Note:  US-grown pot is better quality than Latin American stuff.

Edited by boomerangutang

I saw an interview with the Mexican President the other day, and he was angry that Pres. Trump wanted to get rid of the illegal Mexicans in America.

When asked "Isn't that the exact same thing you tried to do, when Mexico was being overrun by people from places like El Salvador  and other countries to the South?"

He did not have an answer.

Maybe now the American people should wake up and see why it is very dangerous to society to have 10's of Millions of illegal aliens, running free through American.

When with the Bleeding Heart Liberals wake up? Will they wait until US murder rates also sky rocket?

You can not let millions of savages over run your borders. It's called an invasion and will only have a bad ending.

Edited by NoBrainer
Spelling Mistake

16 minutes ago, NoBrainer said:

I saw an interview with the Mexican President the other day, and he was angry that Pres. Trump wanted to get rid of the illegal Mexicans in America.

When asked "Isn't that the exact same thing you tried to do, when Mexico was being overrun by people from places like El Salvador  and other countries to the South?"

He did not have an answer.

Maybe now the American people should wake up and see why it is very dangerous to society to have 10's of Millions of illegal aliens, running free through American.

When with the Bleeding Heart Liberals wake up? Will they wait until US murder rates also sky rocket?

You can not let millions of savages over run your borders. It's called an invasion and will only have a bad ending.

Wasn't that an EX president of Mexico?

I love Mexico even after this mess. I live in Thailand most of the time. But, have been traveling more and more to Mexico and South America. Asia is much safer though, without a doubt.

The Mexicans supply drugs to the US and the US supplies guns to the Mexicans. Mexico is a failed state really...shocker. And it's not going to get any better anytime soon. Not really a surprise the current US administration want to stem the illegal migration (note the word illegal)...despite that ruffling the lefties feathers. Also, btw, couldn't give a toss what the PC brigade says.

It's interesting that the parts of Mexico that ended up being the best were those sold to and taken by the States.

If I were to hazard a guess as to the root reason it wouldn't be the race in charge but rather the religion of those in charge. It kinda appears that the heavily Catholic third world countries (and one could almost make an argument even European ones) are more...accepting...of graft and corruption. I'm not saying there's causation; but there is a preponderance of correlation. 

Having known my share of Latinos and spent time in their wonderful countries it's very hard to reconcile their jeux de vivre with all the bad things that happen there.

22 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Why would you believe that an increase in supply would result in a drop in usage?

It has been proven in Portugal. They were a test case. Usage dropped dramatically, once all drugs were legalized. There is no shortage. Anyone can acquire anything, as long as they have the cash. I believe the illicit nature of drugs makes them more desirable. And I believe you are demeaning society, and bankrupting a nation, when you lock people up for smoking a joint. 

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Isn't it more about the Americans that pay large to stick poison up their noses?

However, I believe anyone should be allowed to put poison up their nose, as long as they don't expect the taxpayer to help them.

Time to legalise all drugs and let people kill themselves without having Mexicans destroy themselves over it.

Thank you. A voice of reason, in the wilderness of nonsense. Yes, legalize ALL drugs. Let Mexico return to the very civilized nation it once was. And cut off the billions despots like Raul Castro are earning on the drug trade, and cripple the prison industry in the US, in one blow. Hallelujah. Evil shot down. In one fell swoop. 

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It has been proven in Portugal. They were a test case. Usage dropped dramatically, once all drugs were legalized. There is no shortage. Anyone can acquire anything, as long as they have the cash. I believe the illicit nature of drugs makes them more desirable. And I believe you are demeaning society, and bankrupting a nation, when you lock people up for smoking a joint. 

I smoke cigarettes; much more harmful than weed but legal. Doesn't make sense to me.

However our system is broken. There should be universal Medicare. Increase taxes to cover it and pull out of those countries where there's too much being spent. Adopt Teddy Roosevelt's policy of "Speak softly and carry a big stick" by stating that shock and awe will be the policy going forward. Decisive strikes with overwhelming munition drops repeated as needed. If a show of strength is what cultures need to behave themselves in a modern world, oblige them. If the international community wants to complain let them divvy up the cost in money and their boy's lives to keep the world safe.

**edit**

And I don't mind paying extra for Medicare. I've had various "hazard" zone insurance for over a decade and in the last 25 years have visited the hospital 2x...

Edited by dave_boo

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This statement is not quite true. Portugal did not legalize all drugs, they decriminalized their use, which is not the same.

Users and those possessing small quantities for personal use are no longer treated as criminals. But dealing and possessing large quantities for that purpose is still illegal, as are the drugs themselves.

But, none the less, this new policy has been very effective and there has been a notable reduction in drug related deaths and the use of so called 'legal highs' in that country.

The UK has been taking baby steps in this direction, at least with class C drugs and I think it's a policy that all countries should consider.

The 'war on drugs' is an unwinnable one as long as there is so much money to be made.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, Moonlover said:

This statement is not quite true. Portugal did not legalize all drugs, they decriminalized their use, which is not the same.

Users and those possessing small quantities for personal use are no longer treated as criminals. But dealing and possessing large quantities for that purpose is still illegal, as are the drugs themselves.

But, none the less, this new policy has been very effective and there has been a notable reduction in drug related deaths and the use of so called 'legal highs' in that country.

The UK has been taking baby steps in this direction, at least with class C drugs and I think it's a policy that all countries should consider.

The 'war on drugs' is an unwinnable one as long as there is so much money to be made.

Far as I understand users can get the drugs they want in Portugal and not locked up for doing so. Good result.

While I accept most governments are not yet up to legalising all currently illegal drugs, there is no excuse for criminalising marijuana. Far, far less harmful than alcohol, and really does help seriously ill people.