Police chief touts reuse of uniforms by poor farmers

webfact

Police chief touts reuse of uniforms by poor farmers

By Suriya Patathayo 
The Nation

9a937fb6834aea12e20a4d3856d4b37e.jpeg

File photo: National police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda

A National police boss has come up with an idea, calling for policemen to donate their old and unused uniforms of the royally-granted khaki shade known as “Sor Nor Wor 01” to be dyed a different colour and given to either poor farmers for use when working in the fields or to those hit by a disaster.

National police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda revealed his idea on Monday after presiding over the police executive meeting at the Royal Thai Police head office in Bangkok.

The police uniform donation would be part of the “We Do Good with Our Hearts” project and also aimed to help the underprivileged and to promote recycling.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30337442

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-30

29 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Thais seem obsessed with "poor" and use it as a  "get out of jail free card" but the reality is when you drive into many of these  villages they all have cars motorbikes etc  and they aren't getting any daintier either.

Those heavily in debt are rarely dainty!

47 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

look forward to farmers jumping out in the road posing as police. 

You clearly missed the point of the OP.

This will solve their shortage of clothes and at the same time supplement their income.

If you could ever speak of killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

There is a more sinister use for the used camo uniforms in the farming community villages.

I heard via the Isaan jungle drums that the military, in co-operation with the village leaders, are conducting paid military training for the village layabouts in the rural townships. The military team arrives complete with wooden imitation rifles and puts the unemployed locals (men and women) through a basic military training course lasting about four to five days. I understand they are paid for their enforced effort. Make of that what you want?

Edited by Cadbury

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

There is a more sinister use for the used camo uniforms in the farming community villages.

I heard via the Isaan jungle drums that the military, in co-operation with the village leaders, are conducting paid military training for the village layabouts in the rural townships. The military team arrives complete with wooden imitation rifles and puts the unemployed locals (men and women) through a basic military training course lasting about four to five days. I understand they are paid for their enforced effort. Make of that what you want?

I live in a small village in rural Thailand and I use camoflaged trousers when I am cutting the scrub and grass and they are worth it. Stronger than denim jeans and longer lasting.

Never believe jungle drums as most of them are not true, but if that is what you believe then good for you. It is a nice rumour to pass around but I really don't think there is that much truth in it, unless of course you have actually seen it yourself.

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I live in a small village in rural Thailand and I use camoflaged trousers when I am cutting the scrub and grass and they are worth it. Stronger than denim jeans and longer lasting.

Never believe jungle drums as most of them are not true, but if that is what you believe then good for you. It is a nice rumour to pass around but I really don't think there is that much truth in it, unless of course you have actually seen it yourself.

So any clothing item is more durable then denim - as long as it is camouflaged? How about a camouflaged baby pyjamas?

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have seen confirming photos. Whether you think it is truthful or not I care little.....oh doubtful one!

Wow, I,m excited.   I wonder if the police discovered Vinnies while on holidays in Australia.? saint Vinnies where they receive and donate used clothing for  the less fortunate.  more awe inspiring brain wave,s from our betters.

12 hours ago, Cadbury said:

4 or 5 days training given with imitation wooden rifles would be the cube root of bugger all use in any significant conflict. They would last seconds in a firefight.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if some middle ranking Walt in the regional military isn't playing at raising his own militia...

As for sartorial gardening, Billd766 my crab friend, I prefer the blue cotton pants from the local market. The trouble with camouflage pattern trousers is that, in all the excitement of wielding the mighty brush cutter, you might not see your legs...

Edited by JAG

12 hours ago, Cadbury said:

if true, i think this is an absolutely awful idea;

thailand could likely survive just fine with no military and ideas like this contribute to an already over-militarized mindset here

6 minutes ago, JAG said:

4 or 5 days training given with imitation wooden rifles would be the cube root of bugger all use in any widespread conflict. They would last for seconds in a firefight.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if some middle ranking Walt in the regional military isn't playing at raising his own militia...

I live in a area with a large military presence, despite there being a good few work-shy drunks about the army have yet to round anyone up and train them.

The only time any villagers were trained was during the last conflict with Cambodia. The head of our village was also given a M16. I think it was more to prevent any burglary's with so many houses being evacuated.

Regarding the second hand police uniforms, The farmers would have to put on weight if they want them to fit.

13 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Similar to all construction groups that wear an army camouflage hat at every site. 

I'm not sure what the criteria is to get the hat, or what is the meaning of the hat. 

But like the uniform plan above, nothing is what it seems in Thailand. 

I think the RTP have moved to a new, single shade (Sor Nor Wor 01) of uniform color, to promote unity.

So at some point, the old uniforms will need to be replaced.

That said, the idea of dyeing the old uniforms and donating them to "poor farmers" seems a bit odd?

4 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Similar to all construction groups that wear an army camouflage hat at every site. 

I'm not sure what the criteria is to get the hat, or what is the meaning of the hat. 

But like the uniform plan above, nothing is what it seems in Thailand. 

the criteria? 50 baht at any talat and they keep the sun off your head

13 hours ago, MartinBangkok said:

So any clothing item is more durable then denim - as long as it is camouflaged? How about a camouflaged baby pyjamas?

I have no idea. Are they what you wear?

Normal military uniforms are made with stronger material and are designed for hard wear, at least that is what I found in 25 years in the military. What was your experience with military or ex military clothes?

2 hours ago, JAG said:

4 or 5 days training given with imitation wooden rifles would be the cube root of bugger all use in any significant conflict. They would last seconds in a firefight.

As for sartorial gardening, Billd766 my crab friend, I prefer the blue cotton pants from the local market. The trouble with camouflage pattern trousers is that, in all the excitement of wielding the mighty brush cutter, you might not see your legs...

Fortunately the brush cutter sticks out a bit at the front but the grit and stones soon chew up the stone guard and at 120 baht a time it gets expensive every month so I don't bother with that any more.

As I am a bit of a fat bugger I find it a bit hard to get the blue cotton pants or denims in my size, but my wife found the camo ones which are actually too big for me. I had 6 inches taken off the bottom and have a belt that holds them up.

I found over the years that cutting wet grass and scrub made the denims a bit heavy and where the brush cutter hangs on the side it used to slowly tear the denims apart.

16 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Sounds like the "Village Scouts".

I will not post a link.

Edited by Enoon

2 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

the criteria? 50 baht at any talat and they keep the sun off your head

I don't know where they get them. 

My point is that every construction site has 1 person wearing one. 

So you want me to believe they all had the same idea to buy the same hat for no reason at all. 

I smell a rat .

2 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I don't know where they get them. 

My point is that every construction site has 1 person wearing one. 

So you want me to believe they all had the same idea to buy the same hat for no reason at all. 

I smell a rat .

perhaps your accommodation needs to be cleaned.

Rat infestation  is  a serious problem and a health concern.

Every construction site has a vote on friday afternoon just before whiskey time.

The winner of the vote gets to wear the coveted camouflage hat.

The winner then gets the last swig from the whiskey bottle.

I believe young Thias not in the construction industry do something similar though with a T shirt that says Thrasher on the front of it.  Surely that could be the only reason so many have the same shirt for no reason at all.