Favourite One Pot Recipe

Jet Gorgon

Khun Jet -- This is my take on Hollandaise sauce. The standard recipe says to gradually add melted butter to egg yolk mixture -- kind of like colloidal suspension for mayaonaise -- but I found this very difficult to control i.e. no curdles. So I adapted this method:

Egg yolks

butter

lemon juice (minao)

dry coleman's mustard

Melt the butter in a pan, add the lemon juice and mustard. Stir.

Put the pan in a sink and run cold water around it to cool the melted butter.

When cool, put the pan over very low heat. Bring the temperature up slowly stirring with a whisk or something all the time.

When the mixture thickens, bring out the asparagus.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beouf Bourginion

Delicious. Even better if cooked the previous day and let to stand overnight. Smells divine. Tastes better. Serve with mashed potatoes (made sexy with some english mustard or horseradish mashed in) or crusty bread, and some plain steamed veggies.

It doesnt get better than that!

dis looks like a slow cooker arrangement...whaddayesay Ms. JG?...sum stove top fixins' den flop de mixture in de pot wid de wine?...?

Ya, yummmmmy. Great fixings, Bendix! I'd do fry pan for browning and then the rice cooker, Tutsi. What do y'all reckon for spices?

And Jazzbo, that's a fab. easy orchestration for hollandaise. I will try it. Thank you!

Yo, TV cookers. Just watched a show for Yiddish bread pudding.

Half a pack of flat noodles, cooked soft.

2 eggs

1/2 c sugar

tsp vanilla

cup of sour cream

cup of cottage cheese

Mix the wet stuff and then mix into the noodles

place neatly in foil-lined baking pan, evenly dribble cup of milk over it all

sprinkle with cinnamon

bake at 350 for an hour

Prob can do smaller portions in the toaster oven. Looks great for a coffee snack.

Yo, TV cookers. Just watched a show for Yiddish bread pudding.

Half a pack of flat noodles, cooked soft.

2 eggs

1/2 c sugar

tsp vanilla

cup of sour cream

cup of cottage cheese

Mix the wet stuff and then mix into the noodles

place neatly in foil-lined baking pan, evenly dribble cup of milk over it all

sprinkle with cinnamon

bake at 350 for an hour

Prob can do smaller portions in the toaster oven. Looks great for a coffee snack.

yeah...sounds good...my mom's sister Miguelina (aunt miggie) useta do the same in Bolivia but using local farmers' cheese 'quesillo' as there was no cottage cheese available...she was an evangelical christian...she useta make it special fer me when I came to visit...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Beouf Bourginion

Delicious. Even better if cooked the previous day and let to stand overnight. Smells divine. Tastes better. Serve with mashed potatoes (made sexy with some english mustard or horseradish mashed in) or crusty bread, and some plain steamed veggies.

It doesnt get better than that!

dis looks like a slow cooker arrangement...whaddayesay Ms. JG?...sum stove top fixins' den flop de mixture in de pot wid de wine?...?

Ya, yummmmmy. Great fixings, Bendix! I'd do fry pan for browning and then the rice cooker, Tutsi. What do y'all reckon for spices?

And Jazzbo, that's a fab. easy orchestration for hollandaise. I will try it. Thank you!

no spices. keep it simple. the bacon, wine and onions provide all the flavour you need although one or two bay leaves thrown in do no harm.

A favourite of mine is easy and very tasty.

1 frozen chicken. (rub salt, pepper and paprika on the entire chicken)

1 bag frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, corn etc)

5 potatoes.

1 packet Stroganoff mix seasoning

Get a crockpot (slowcooker), put in the frozen veggies first, then potatoes and then the stroganoff mix, put the chicken on top and in the fridge (Prepare the night before, takes about 5 minutes).

Before leaving for work, put the crockpot (slow cooker) on LOW and go to work.

Come home from work, house smells awesome, chicken falls off the bone and the veggies taste great.

IMHO!

• 1 month later...

OK time to resurect this.

Today for breakfast I had some potatoes left over from last night, fried in olive oil, with chopped tomatoe, onion, garlic and cheese grated over the top and slung under a hot grill till it bubbled. Seasoned generously with Maggi :o

How to make proper Cheese on toast....with????

This isnt a one pot dish but its impressed me and is very easy.

With the lack of overhead grills in Thailand and oven cheese toast not hitting the spot I was stumped...

Two bits of bread cheese oregano tabasco sauce.

Then my friend took a toaster LAID IT ON ITS SIDE and voila........

Proper cheese on toast.....simple and brilliant......

:o

How to make proper Cheese on toast....with????

This isnt a one pot dish but its impressed me and is very easy.

With the lack of overhead grills in Thailand and oven cheese toast not hitting the spot I was stumped...

Two bits of bread cheese oregano tabasco sauce.

Then my friend took a toaster LAID IT ON ITS SIDE and voila........

Proper cheese on toast.....simple and brilliant......

:D

Now that's what I call improv, Stiggy! Toaster on its side...I'll be trying that. :o

Leisurely, those leftovers sound mighty fine; just the lazycook breakfast special I need.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Anyone of you tried to make my Pasta pesto chicken?

I do not thinks so.

So unless anyone reports back on it I will not post any other delicious recipe I have. :o

Ah! I did and I forgot to tell you! Mea culpa! :D

But...I had no pesto so I used flat noodles, chopped up spinach, pine nuts, olive oil, and parmy cheese all over. It was excellent! I think it's the spinach -- I get real cravings for it sometimes, and when mixed with the noodles like that, it is fantastico.

C'mon Alex, please share more. :D

Edited by Jet Gorgon

While we're on the subject of beans.

Supposed to go out for a family meal tonight but my Sis rang in sick so eating home alone.

3 Australian super market sausages

1 rasher bacon chopped

1 large onion sliced

Brown in large fry pan

Drain any fat

Add one can Heinz baked beans and heat through.

Add any readily available commercial chili sauce until it begins to smoke.

Consume. Sit in front of TV in solitary splendor, drink beer, watch football and release gaseous byproducts uncriticized by female partner several thousand kms away in Thailand.

Anyone of you tried to make my Pasta pesto chicken?

I do not thinks so.

So unless anyone reports back on it I will not post any other delicious recipe I have. :o

Ah! I did and I forgot to tell you! Mea culpa! :bah:

But...I had no pesto so I used flat noodles, chopped up spinach, pine nuts, olive oil, and parmy cheese all over. It was excellent! I think it's the spinach -- I get real cravings for it sometimes, and when mixed with the noodles like that, it is fantastico.

C'mon Alex, please share more. :bah:

Dear Jet,

As you have pretty much destroyed the original recipe I gave, and therefore cannot judge the real taste of this heavenly dish, I decided to not give you any other one pot recipe untill you come back here and tell me you made my dish exactly as I instructed.

It was already very rare for me to share my recipes and then to see it being 'mutulated' hurted me a lot.

Yes, I spend hours in the kitchen to come up with great easy to make food, and then you tell me this,

I hope the next time you make this dish (exactly how I described), and tell me about how your taste buds have been reactivated I will not share any other one pot recipe with you and others on this forum

:D:D:D

Alex

Dear Jet,

As you have pretty much destroyed the original recipe I gave, and therefore cannot judge the real taste of this heavenly dish, I decided to not give you any other one pot recipe untill you come back here and tell me you made my dish exactly as I instructed.

:o:D:D

Alex

meanie. :D I will find some pesto, Master.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

To get this back on track, I have just been to Bunters and tonights dinner will be:

Chopped onion

Tinned toms

Tinned lentils

garlic and basil, caraway seeds

8 sausages all cooked to a lovely consistency over around 3 hours.Served with creamy mashed potatoe and green beans.

Read it and weep :o:D:D

Make your own Pesto.

2 cups fresh basil leaves. (Italian Basil can normally be found at Foodland)

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup Olive oil

3 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts. In Bangkok at Villa, in Pattaya sometimes at Friendship.

3 garlic cloves, finely minced.

Place basil leaves in small batches in food processor and whip until well chopped (do about 3/4 cup at a time). Add about 1/3 the nuts and garlic, blend again.

Add about 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese; blend while slowly adding about 1/3 of the olive oil, stopping to scrape down sides of container.

Process basil pesto it forms a thick smooth paste. Repeat until all ingredients are used, mix all batches together well. Serve over pasta. Basil pesto keeps in refrigerator one week, or freeze for a few months.

Reading this thread (Thanka Alex!) reminded me that I still have some in the freezer, guess what I am having tonight! :o

carrot stew. get some carrots, a good thick beer, the meat of your choice (chicken, pork, beef, whatever), a large onion, some peppers, a spoonful of sugar, half a teaspoon of salt, and some chilli pepper (if you want).

put everything in a crock pot (in the morning). since there's so many veggies available here, I'd say add quite a few of those that you've tried and are sure that you like, but be aware that this takes all day to cook (it's a set it and forget it meal) and so any veggies will be quite broken down.

for spices I usually use a bit of worcestershire sauce, some white vinegar, garlic, basil, oregano, paprika, and just a dash of cloves and ginger. alternately you can use curry, but if you do, don't add the western spices (oregano, paprika, worcestershire sauce, cloves), because the flavors do not mix well in this. just make sure that you cover it with enough beer that all the ingredients are submerged.

then just set the pot (again, in the morning) on low, put the lid on, and go to work/class/whatever it is you do during the day. it takes about 8 hours to cook this type of meal (on average), and when it's done the meat should be falling apart and the whole thing should have a consistancy like a very good gravy.

• 5 months later...

I had to resurrect this thread, because I knew someone posted a pesto recipe on it and I've got tons of sweet basil in my little garden. I did check a few sites, as I worried about freezing it with the cheese. Found a few good recipes, one in which the chef totally denounced the use of a food processor to chop up the ingredients. Big no. Apparently, chop up the basil, nuts and garlic and then get the som tam lady to pound the crap out of them with her mortar and pestle to release the flavours. Mix with the olive oil. To freeze, leave out the parmesan and pour in an ice cube tray; when rock solid, shuck them in a freezer bag and take out when needed. Add the cheese when thawed.

Make your own Pesto.

2 cups fresh basil leaves. (Italian Basil can normally be found at Foodland)

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup Olive oil

3 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts. In Bangkok at Villa, in Pattaya sometimes at Friendship.

3 garlic cloves, finely minced.

Place basil leaves in small batches in food processor and whip until well chopped (do about 3/4 cup at a time). Add about 1/3 the nuts and garlic, blend again.

Add about 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese; blend while slowly adding about 1/3 of the olive oil, stopping to scrape down sides of container.

Process basil pesto it forms a thick smooth paste. Repeat until all ingredients are used, mix all batches together well. Serve over pasta. Basil pesto keeps in refrigerator one week, or freeze for a few months.

Reading this thread (Thanka Alex!) reminded me that I still have some in the freezer, guess what I am having tonight! :o

I'll add a dish. In the tradition of this thread, it's not *really* a one-pot dish because you need some macaroni or other pasta that's already cooked to add at the end. I really like the extra large size elbow macaroni, but any large chunky pasta can do well. I've been making this all my life so it's hard to give exact proportions.

Jewish Thai Goulash (I learned it from my mom, hence the Jewish, I make it in Thailand, hence the Thai)

Use a large pot.

2-3 large onions finely chopped

1-2 garlic bulbs (not cloves) peeled and finely chopped

2-3 cans of tomatoes (or equivalent amount of fresh tomatoes)

3/4 kilo of pork (Mrs. doesn't eat beef) ground ok, pork butt sublime

3 heaping tablespoons of Cumin powder (plus some cumin seeds if you'd like--nice touch)

Bell Peppers if you like them (optional)

Salt bearing substances (salt or bullion cubes or soy or Maggi)

500 grams (uncooked weight) of aforementioned pasta, precooked in salty water

If you're using pork butt, cut into small cubes and brown it thoroughly in the pot. If not, start with the next step.

Sautee two onions in the pot to get the sweetness, after a while adding the garlic (medium heat, get all the sweetness you can out of them), reserve one onion for the end. Towards the end of the sauteeing, add some cumin seeds (if you have any) and about half the cumin and sautee a couple more minutes.

Add most of the tomatoes, reserving some for the end process as with the onions and bring to a boil.

Add the meat. If you're using ground pork, add slowly while stirring to break it all up. I find the ground pork in Thailand to be very lean, so I don't brown it. You may brown it if you wish instead, but do that before you sautee the onions.

Cook an hour or so. Perhaps halfway through add the rest of the cumin and salt to taste using preferred salting method. (I usually use a bullion cube or two and the rest just salt.)

After an hour if you're using ground beef or when the pork butt cubes are 'liciously tender, add the rest of the onions. A couple of minutes later add the rest of the tomates. A couple more minutes, turn off the heat and add the pasta and stir it all up.

Good for a few days--a complete meal.

Eat it from the bowl or as a great burrito filler.

Southwestern Red Bean Bean and Pork Stew

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 pounds pork loin, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound red (kidney) beans, soaked, drained and rinsed

8 cups chicken stock

1 pound tomatoes

1 jalapeño pepper, stem removed (can use local green peppers but not quite the same)

1 bunch cilantro (pak chee hom), stems and leaves

Juice of 2 limes

PREPARATION:

1. Heat oil in 8-quart stock pot. Add pork, cumin, salt and pepper. Sauté until pork is browned, about 5-10 minutes.

2. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add beans and stir to coat with oil. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender.

3. In a food processor, puree tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, bunch of cilantro and lime juice. Add to stock pot and simmer for an additional ½ hour, to blend flavors.

Serving Suggestions:

Top with sour cream, cilantro sprigs, diced avocado, tomatoes or sliced radishes.

YIELD: 8 main-dish servings

Hi all,

This is my first post. Lots of yummie stuff in this thread, will probably try Bendix' Beouf Bourginion first. But I have not seen one single fish dish over 8 pages, so why not try this one, to get away from the meat and beans for a while. Very easy to make, and one pot only. Thais also like this one.

No measurements, just put what you think are reasonable amounts, I never make it exactly the same, but it always turns out well. Here we go:

Use white frozen fish (otherwise it will go too soft while cooking), like cod, halibut or snowfish (expensive but very nice). Put the filets in a large pot (I use iron pot), add a little dry white wine or white vinager/water, and a little butter. Salt and freshly ground pepper, sliced/diced onion and garlic to taste (you can skip the garlic).

Cut potatoes into very thin slices, and add sliced leek (this is important for the taste of this dish). I also add a bit of the frozen veggie mix (carrots/corn/peas). You can really experiment, don't go overboard with mixing tastes, but leave the leek in!

Just let this simmer slowly until fish and veggies are tender, add salt/pepper and if required some more wine. Serve with a large dollop of Dijon mustad! Bon appetit! And as Bendix mentioned, even better the next day, as is so often the case with these kind of dishes, where all the flavous can really get out.

PS: Jet, I did choose my username before reading your recent post!

MCM

:o MMCulpa, you don't have to apologise for anything here. (BTW, where was that post?) Anyway, welcome to TV and thanks for the fish recipe; nice addition. I guess one could get fish from the market and freeze it rather than buying from Tesco?

And thanks to Jimmyd and RoietJ for those yum recipes, too. Roiet, expect Tutsi here shortly to complain about cooking kidney beans.

With all the seafood in Thailand, a nice boillabaisse might be good, too. Just reading a recipe book with this one from the Crescent City Brewhouse in New Orleans. I changed it a bit to fit with what's available locally.

cayenne, paprika, garlic salt

butter

12 clams

12 mussels

crab to replace the lobster

12 jumbo prawns

1/4 kg tuna cut into bite chunks

small red snapper (no salmon here) cut into bite chunks

big bottle of lager beer

diced white onion

three or so handfuls of green onion, chopped

three tomatoes seeded and diced

3-4 cups of fish stock

two cubed potatoes

manao juice

Use a big pot and put in the butter over medium heat. Add the shellfish. Saute 3 min, then add shrimp for a couple more min. Turn up the heat to med-high and add the beer; cook about 10 min. Add the tuna and snapper, cook a few mins. Take out any clams or mussels that have kept their mouths shut. Add all the veg and seasoning. Cook until spuds are near tender then add the soup stock and simmer for a few more mins. Add the manao juice. Remove from heat and let rest a few mins before serving.

I think it needs some other taste zip -- maybe cilantro or Chinese celery? What about the salmon/lobster replacements? Anything better?

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Hi again Jet,

You used Mea Culpa in post 106.

Your idea of getting fish locally in the market and freezing it is very good. Make some nice thick filets, remove all bones, and freeze. Any white, firm fish will do really. Like snapper or whatever you like. However, both the leek and the mustard are vital in my opinion. But as always experiment, and adapt to your own taste.

Another very nice dish now we are moving towards the cooler season, is a great big pot of chicken couscous! I don't have a recipe here right in front of me, but the net is full of the stuff. Unless you pour the semolina into the pot (I prefer not to do so), it is not strictly a one-pot dish, but to cook the semolina separately is so easy, so mai pen rai. For this glorious middle eastern/north african dish I would pig out and use big chunky legs of chicken, WITH the skin and all (don't tell your doctor mind you!) I would also include plenty of nice pot veggies, and play around with some spices like cumin, cardamom and cinnamon. Makes this dish very nice on a cool evening outside. Bon appetit.