Favourite One Pot Recipe

Jet Gorgon

I wouldn't trust what brits say about anything gastronomical...dey think dat pork pies and their stinkin' sausages are de bee's knees...an' it takes a chinese to make proper fish an' chips...

ever see dead rabbits hung up in de market in de east midlands?...ugh :o

de casings fer de sausages are pig intestines, washed an' soaked wid sum salt...available anywhere...grind up pork shoulder an' throw in chiles, thyme, marjoram to taste depending on the sausage...need to find a recipie for a good kielbasi...can do a good louisiana and an italian but they are easy...need to hab de culinary challenge...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a couple kielbasa recipes fer you, dear Tutsi.

I googled: homemade kielbasa recipe

5-6 lbs fresh ground pork

1 onion, chopped very fine

1/4 cup salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 clove garlic, chopped fine

2 tablespoons mustard seeds

2 cups water

72 inches natural sausage casings

6 cups water (to soak casings in)

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients (including 2 cups warm water) until well blended.

Soak casings in 6 cups warm water.

Using about one foot of casing for one pound of meat mixture, stuff the casings.

Keep unused casings wet while working, if they start to dry out, they will tear.

http://www.3men.com/sausage.htm

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/4175/h...sa-sausage.html

Hey Jet Baby I heard you were a Great Cook till you lost ya Can Opener... :o

Yeah, Yeah, I know Duck Soup, Duck Stew, Roast Duck, Duck Ala Orange....

Never had a can opener, just my treasured Swiss army knife which carves deftly through the flesh of small wild or domesticated web-footed broad-billed swimming birds with depressed bodies.

You still annoyed?

Hey Jet Baby I heard you were a Great Cook till you lost ya Can Opener... :D

Yeah, Yeah, I know Duck Soup, Duck Stew, Roast Duck, Duck Ala Orange....

Never had a can opener, just my treasured Swiss army knife which carves deftly through the flesh of small wild or domesticated web-footed broad-billed swimming birds with depressed bodies.

You still annoyed?

Listen Snake Head your getting too Old to Catch Me let alone Pluck me..

Did I actually say that right ??Must have I didnt get banned.. :o

sausage recipies anyone?

Try these :-

To Make Sausages

(Mrs Beetons Oxford Recipe)

450g (1lb) Pork, fat and lean, without skin or gristle

450g (1lb) Lean Veal

450g (1lb) Beef Suet

225g (8oz) Breadcrumbs

½ Lemon, rind only

6 Sage Leaves

1 Small Nutmeg

2 tsp Salt

1 tsp Pepper

½ tsp Savory

½ tsp Marjoram

Chop the pork, veal and suet finely together, add the breadcrumbs, lemon peel (which should be well minced) and a small nutmeg grated.

Wash and chop the sage leaves very finely, add to the remaining ingredients to the sausage meat and when thoroughly mixed, either put the meat into skins, or, when wanted for table, form it into little cakes, which should be floured and fried.

Sufficient for about 30 moderate-sized sausages.

Crossy, that recipe sounds fab. How to make one's own suet in Thailand?

Jazzbo, that is one of the best recipe sites ever! Photos are great. I reckon you could trade the creole spices for paprika or ?

Making sausages reminds me of two Swiss men we met in Hailar, Inner Mongolia, when I was studying in the Middle Kingdom. One guy was Adonis and a gay friend in our group was fighting me for his attentions. Anyway, as we ate our lamb off dagger blades and quaffed beer, Adonis told us they were in Hailar to buy sheep casings for sausages. Seemed wildy outrageous at the time, but I guess there wouldn't be a market for Mazeratis in a country where horses reign.

OK, I'll go back to my toilet cleaning duties now.

Crossy, that recipe sounds fab. How to make one's own suet in Thailand?

They are very nice, it's an old receipe from Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management originally published in 1861, my Mum has a 1940's copy.

It's all online at http://www.mrsbeeton.com/

I hate to admit it, but I get my suet from the UK (gotta be able to get Atora somewhere in LoS though) so I don't make to many of these and Wifey won't eat them 'coz there's beef in there :o

And if anyone knows where to get dried Savory in LoS I'd appreciate it too :D

Hello Jet -- Thanks for the kind words...I am not a native but spent a lot of time in the Pelican State... my favorite cajun/creole spice is Tony Chachere's..I always bring some from the USA and have 1 can still unopened...

http://www.tonychachere.com/

However, I have seen McCormick's Cajun spice at the Tesco...just haven't needed any for right now...

Jordanian Traditional Makloobaspacer.gif:o 2 whole chickens, skinned and quartered (or 8 pieces chicken thighs)

3 1/2 cups canola oil, plus 3 tablespoons

1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg

1 teaspoon allspice

1 teaspoon cumin powder

Salt

4 saffron threads

2 cinnamon sticks

5 whole cardamom seeds

3 peppercorns

5 cups water

Freshly ground black pepper

1 head cauliflower, trimmed into florets

1 large eggplant, peeled, cubed, and salted; make sure to place in a colander so water can drain

2 onions, halved through the root end and thinly sliced, core still attached

4 cups medium grain rice

1 cup converted rice

1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

1/2 teaspoon allspice

4 saffron threads

1/2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground cinnamon

1/4 cup canola oil

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Toasted pine nuts, for garnish

In a 5-quart saucepan, brown both sides of the chicken in 1/2 cup canola oil. Once browned, add nutmeg, allspice, cumin powder, salt, saffron, cinnamon sticks, cardamom seeds, and peppercorns.

Add approximately 5 cups of water to just cover the chicken and bring to a boil. Season with freshly ground pepper. Cover and simmer over low-medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the meat begins to pull away from the bone. When done, set the chicken aside and discard the broth.

Fry the cauliflower in a large pot with 3 cups of canola oil until golden brown. Remove and let drain on paper towels. Once that is done, repeat this process with the eggplant. (Note, do not rinse the salt off the eggplant the guest believes that it removes flavor.) Set both the fried cauliflower and eggplant aside. Heat 3 tablespoons of canola oil in the pot that previously contained the chicken. When the oil is hot, not smoking, add the feathered onions and cook until they sweat, about 10 minutes. Add the cooked chicken, bone and all; cook together for a few minutes then cover and let steep with the burner off for 15 minutes. During this time, rinse the rice about 5 or 6 times until the water runs clear. Put the rice in a bowl, stir the spices into the raw rice, and mix well. Add the fried eggplant and cauliflower to the chicken mixture and then put the seasoned rice on top. Pour water into the pot to just barely cover the rice. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cover. Approximately 10 minutes later add a 1/4 cup of oil and re-cover. When the water is completely gone the dish is done, about 25 minutes or until rice is cooked. Remove the pot from the heat and let rest for about 10 to 15 minutes. Place a large serving plate on top of the dish and flip the pot and plate over. Very carefully, lift the pot off the plate and the layered dish is done, add a little garnish and it is ready to serve. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Jordanian Traditional Makloobaspacer.gif:o 2 whole chickens, skinned and quartered (or 8 pieces chicken thighs)

Pardon my Brit ignorance, but what's 'converted rice' , sounds like something from the 'Christian Missionaries' thread.

Do you bring the suet from home with you? Wonder if one could render it here from beef/pork.

Savory...in the Western world at the mo, so could send you some.

Bring it with me, been going to Europe on a regular basis so no problem there, same with the savory (thanks for the offer, we're ok at present). Euro contracts seem to be drying up so I'll need to find a source for both in the Far East soon.

This is kind of a soup stew. I used to make it in California, but now have added some more local ingredients. It is one of those leftover stew kind of dishes, can be adapted to whatever you have in the house. Its mostly Asian flavors, but with a few twists.

Forget the portions, just feel it out:

toss in a bunch water, turn on stove OR canned chicken broth plus more water

add garlic, lots of it, chopped rough (important ingredient to the uniqueness of this soup)

add onions, big pieces

add fresh black peppercorns

add chopped Thai bird poo peppers

add Thai mini eggplants

add kaffir lime leaves

add yellow mung beans (important ingredient to the uniqueness of this soup)

add smashed lemon grass

add (you choose) sliced galangal OR sliced ginger (ginger more of a Chinese flavor)

add (you choose) some soy sauce or fish sauce

add some kind of chicken bullion maker if you didn't use a soup base

add fresh chicken thighs or pork ribs or roasted chicken from Tesco (etc.)

simmer at low bubbly heat until ingredients are well blended in and/or raw meat is cooked if using raw meat

add fish tofu squares cut into smaller pieces sold in Tesco etc. (optional but really good in this soup)

add dried bean curd skin (a Chinese ingredient) (important ingredient to the uniqueness of this soup)

add tomato, chopped into big pieces

add some kind of Thai fresh mushroom

cook a little longer

add the final ingredients, some kind of Chinese green, baby bok choy, Chinese cabbage, etc.

add some rice noodles

last ingredient, add a pack of mung bean noodles (yes two kinds of noodles) (important ingredient to the uniqueness of this soup)

if using alot of rice noodles, better to boil separately and drain to cut starch

serve with fresh lime to squeeze on soup, cilantro if you like

There are a million variations to this soup, but I think you might find you love it. The unique thing about it is the mix of Thai tom yum spices, peppers, garlic, mung beans, two kinds of noodles, dried bean curd skin, kind of a Thai/Chinese/Californian mess of deliciousness.

Edited by Jingthing

just finished re-reading The Grapes of Wrath after 40+ years. Steinbeck describes the one pot meals whipped up by Ma Joad to feed her family in great detail much in the way that Melville described minor shipboard activities in Moby Dick...poor people's food, fulla fat and stodge but it sure got my mouth a-waterin'...even when they were destitute and she did some corn meal mush with the last that they had...she asked her son Tom Joad 'wid sugar or with salt? ain't got much of either...'

I howled to the wind...if poor dustbowl migrants in Depression era america have cornmeal why can't I get none in 21st century Thailand??? :o:D

I just made some New Orlean style red beans and rice. I had to use the red kidney beans but sometimes I have the real new orleans camellias brand brought over. It is a ###### close reecipe.

It goes something like this:

1 lb. red kidney beans

1 large sweet yellow onion

1 large green sweet pepper

4or 5 large cloves of garlic.

some celery if you can find it.

A strip or two of that big thick piece of bacon you see in Thai markets

a couple of bay leaves if you can fine em

I cook mine in a slow cooker. The secret is to soak the beans overnight and then to boil them rapidly for about 45 min or until tender. They will never get tender just putting them in the slow cooker.

Once you got the beans tender put them in the slow cooker with all of the ingredients finely chopped.the pork you can slice in 1/2 inch pieces. I boil mine a bit first seperately to skim off some of the scum. put just enough water to cover everything otherwise you will have bean soup.

let the whole thing cook on High for several hours , hard to overcook in the slow cooker. While cooking you can add some salt to taste and a bit of thai red crushed pepper Prik Pon, to taste. A secret ingredient is you can add some liquid smoke but be careful this is some potent stuff. I've seen it a Villa supermarket in BKK. Some people may not like the smoke flavor. Real New Orleans red beans will have smoked Ham hocks or smoked sausage. After the beans have cooked you can mash some against the side to make it creamy.

Also you can add some tabasco sause available worldwide , or if your really lucky some Louisiana Hot sauce.

LL

I just made some New Orlean style red beans and rice. I had to use the red kidney beans but sometimes I have the real new orleans camellias brand brought over. It is a ###### close reecipe.

It goes something like this:

1 lb. red kidney beans

1 large sweet yellow onion

1 large green sweet pepper

4or 5 large cloves of garlic.

some celery if you can find it.

A strip or two of that big thick piece of bacon you see in Thai markets

a couple of bay leaves if you can fine em

Yum. I'm hooked on my rice cooker, but will give this a go. Maybe Chinese celery will add the taste. The bacon -- the hunks with the fat on it? And maybe a bit of soya sauce...

Edited by Jet Gorgon

A secret ingredient is you can add some liquid smoke but be careful this is some potent stuff. I've seen it a Villa supermarket in BKK. Some people may not like the smoke flavor.

Also you can add some tabasco sause available worldwide , or if your really lucky some Louisiana Hot sauce.

LL

LIQUID SMOKE!!! LIQUID SMOKE!!! haven't seen none ob dat in 20 years...useta add it liberally to de BBQ sauce. Also useta use it as a cologne...when in serious an' contentious discussion at work I would raise my smoke doused hand to my nose and know that I was at peace widde woild...(people are shouting an' pounding the table...tutsi sniffs and smiles beatifically...)

Please share a fav. I'm getting a bit bored with traditionals.

Hungarian Goulash... Many variations, but here is my (very) simple favorite

2 onions

1 kilo diced beef (cheap as you like)

1~2 small jars (few ounces ?) of Parika (to your taste)

Dice the onions and fry them in a large pot until about 1/2 cooked

Add the beef and paprika

Cook covered on very low heat until meat is done (1~2 hours depending on quality of meat), stirring occasionally... Salt/pepper to tase at the end. Serve over rice or noddles if you want to.

That's it !! Different and delicious

Wow. Few ozs of paprika? Will that blow my head off and disintegrate my digestive tract? But, thanks for the recipe, Eman. Maybe a pinch of paprika?

Also, chefs, I would like to make a quick hollandaise sauce. Any suggestions?

Wow. Few ozs of paprika? Will that blow my head off and disintegrate my digestive tract? But, thanks for the recipe, Eman. Maybe a pinch of paprika?

Also, chefs, I would like to make a quick hollandaise sauce. Any suggestions?

don't know about de hollandaise but chicken paprika usedta be one ob de all time favs. Cook like de above wid onions an' paprika (douse liberally) but simmer in sum stock...reduce an' add sour cream or yogurt...enough to coat a spoon (Julia Child). Serve wid polenta or spatzle but flat noodles will do...

ummmm, ummmm good....I got sum chicken breasts an' indian paprika (hungarian is de best, three types, nice an' sweet), mebbe chicken paprika tonite... :o:D:D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Beouf Bourginion

Absolutely delicious.

Cut a few rashers of bacon into small pieces and fry them in large casserole pot. Stick them to one side.

Coat some diced beef in flour and fry until brown.

Chuck the beef and bacon back into the casserole pot.

Add some salt, black pepper and herbs of your choice to taste.

Throw in a couple of handful of button mushrooms (whole, not sliced)

Throw in a couple of handfuls of peeled baby onions . the small ones. Don't slice em . . throw them in whole.

Mix it all up and pour in a mixture of beef stock and any cheap red wine (50/50). The liquid should almost cover the meat / veg, but don't drown them.

That's it . .

Stick it in a 180 degree oven for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally.

If you need to, add a flour and water thickener towards the end.

Delicious. Even better if cooked the previous day and let to stand overnight. Smells divine. Tastes better. Serve with mashed potatoes (made sexy with some english mustard or horseradish mashed in) or crusty bread, and some plain steamed veggies.

It doesnt get better than that!

Beouf Bourginion

Absolutely delicious.

Cut a few rashers of bacon into small pieces and fry them in large casserole pot. Stick them to one side.

Coat some diced beef in flour and fry until brown.

Chuck the beef and bacon back into the casserole pot.

Add some salt, black pepper and herbs of your choice to taste.

Throw in a couple of handful of button mushrooms (whole, not sliced)

Throw in a couple of handfuls of peeled baby onions . the small ones. Don't slice em . . throw them in whole.

Mix it all up and pour in a mixture of beef stock and any cheap red wine (50/50). The liquid should almost cover the meat / veg, but don't drown them.

That's it . .

Stick it in a 180 degree oven for a couple of hours, stirring occasionally.

If you need to, add a flour and water thickener towards the end.

Delicious. Even better if cooked the previous day and let to stand overnight. Smells divine. Tastes better. Serve with mashed potatoes (made sexy with some english mustard or horseradish mashed in) or crusty bread, and some plain steamed veggies.

It doesnt get better than that!

dis looks like a slow cooker arrangement...whaddayesay Ms. JG?...sum stove top fixins' den flop de mixture in de pot wid de wine?...?

Edited by tutsiwarrior