Favourite One Pot Recipe

Jet Gorgon

OMG, I get hungry just reading these recipes. I'll try that pistachio trade off for pine nuts in the pesto, NR. I just got the stuff to make Leisurely's no fancy pants chicken. Yep, the kidney beans here are hard as elephant toes. I reckon cooking them alone in the rice cooker for several hours after soaking should work.

And Mr Tornado, thank you for the yum recipe. BTW, the inmates in the insane asylum are looking for you. It seems they miss you terribly! :o

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He he he ,

You should try the pasta pesto spinach.

I made for about 5 person yesterday and eat a bit myself.

Thinking the next day I could bring some for lunch.

What a fool I am.

When opening the fridge I found out all of it was eaten by Thai friends that evening.

Cheers all and happy cooking!

Alex

A friend says he puts onion soup mix in his beef stew in place of beef soup stock. It's gotta be good.

Had sushi (heavenly) last night so doing Leisurely's chicken dish tonight. But I don't have tarragon so I'm going to use marjoram.

Cathyv, I used rosemary once and I hated the smell. Maybe I used too much?

I really need to get out more, I just thought of something else you can do for the warm weather. Gazpacho. Can of toms, peeled and deseeded cucumber, couple of cloves of garlic, all in the blender, whiz, add a bit of olive oil and enjoy chilled. Keeps for a couple of days and freezes well too

here's a favorite one pot concoction wid a story...a friend lived in Zagreb in the former Yugoslavia for about 8 months about 30 years ago...he was a professional chess player an' needed to compete in internationally rated tournaments to get his grandmaster title (not much internationally rated action in the US at the time). When he returned he whipped up a one pot potatoes, cabbage an' sausage wid plenty ob salt, pepper and mustard fer the sausages (dey need to be central/eastern european sausages like kielbasi or bratwust, none ob dat english mishmash). He said 'useta live on dis stuff in Zagreb...only hadda hot plate ta cook on...'...inna steamer throw in de potatoes first an' cook fer a bit, den de sausage den de cabbage on top fer the last 10 mins to keep it crunchy...

we chowed down...he said between mouthfuls 'ye know, Tito is the only force holdin' that place together...too many ethnic and religious divisions...when he dies expect a holocaust...'

and he was right... :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

here's a favorite one pot concoction wid a story...a friend lived in Zagreb in the former Yugoslavia for about 8 months about 30 years ago...he was a professional chess player an' needed to compete in internationally rated tournaments to get his grandmaster title (not much internationally rated action in the US at the time). When he returned he whipped up a one pot potatoes, cabbage an' sausage wid plenty ob salt, pepper and mustard fer the sausages (dey need to be central/eastern european sausages like kielbasi or bratwust, none ob dat english mishmash). He said 'useta live on dis stuff in Zagreb...only hadda hot plate ta cook on...'...inna steamer throw in de potatoes first an' cook fer a bit, den de sausage den de cabbage on top fer the last 10 mins to keep it crunchy...

we chowed down...he said between mouthfuls 'ye know, Tito is the only force holdin' that place together...too many ethnic and religious divisions...when he dies expect a holocaust...'

and he was right... :o

Great story and recipe, Tutsi.

Too true, Tito was horrid, but he held the country together. Senseless slaughter that followed. And the hatred remains between the Serbs and Croats.

:D really, i could come over all prima donna-ish, DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT TARRAGON! go for the zuppa minestra you can add marjoram to that, a better bet would be basil and if you have any white beans that would give it an extra dimension. :D:o

Thanks, L, I found some tarragon and it is heavenly. You are so right. Thanks for demanding it!

Here's some info on one-pot rabbit stew -- as long as you can find calamus root. Also as a public service to help Tutsiwarrior with his English.

"Didn't the fox never catch the rabbit, Uncle Remus?" asked the little boy the next evening.

"He came mighty nigh it, honey, sho's you born - Brer Fox did. One day after Brer Rabbit fool 'im wid dat calamus root, Brer Fox went ter wuk en got 'im some tar, en mix it wid some turkentime, en fix up a contrapshun w'at he call a Tar-Baby, en he tuck dish yer Tar-Baby en he sot 'er in de big road, en den he lay off in de bushes fer to see what de news wuz gwine ter be. En he didn't hatter wait long, nudder, kaze bimeby here come Brer Rabbit pacin' down de road - lippity-clippity, clippity-lippity - dez ez sassy ez a jay-bird. Brer Fox, he lay low. Brer Rabbit come prancin' long twel he spy de Tar-Baby, en den he fotch up on his behime legs like he wuz 'stonished. De Tar-Baby, she sot dar, she did, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

" 'Mawnin'!' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee - 'nice wedder dis mawnin',' sezee.

"Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nothin', en Brer Fox, he lay low.

" 'How duz yo' sym'tums seem ter segashuate?' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee.

"Brer Fox, he wink his eye slow, en lay low, en de Tar-Baby, she ain't sayin' nothin'.

" 'How you ecome on, den? Is you deaf?' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee. 'Kaze if you is, I kin holler louder,' sezee.

"Tar-Baby stay still, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

" 'You er stuck up, dat's w'at you is,' says Brer Rabbit, sezee, 'en I'm gwine ter kyore you, dat's what I'm a gwine ter do,' sezee.

"Brer Fox, he sorter chuckle in his stummick, he did, but Tar-Baby ain't sayin' nothin'.

" 'I'm gwine ter larn you how ter talk ter 'spectubble folks ef hit's de las' ack,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee. 'Ef you don't take off dat hat en tell me howdy, I'm gwin ter bus' you wide open,' sezee.

"Tar-Baby stay still, en Brer Fox he lay low.

"Brer Rabbit keep on axin' 'im, en de Tar-Baby, she keep on sayin' nothin', twel present'y Brer Rabbit drew back wid his fis', he did, en bilp he tuck 'er side er de head. Right dar's whar he broke his merlasses jug. His fis' stuck, en he can't pull loose. De tar hilt 'im. But Tar-Baby, she stay still, en Brer Fox, he lay low.

" 'Ef you don't lemme loose, I'll knock you agin,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee, en wid dat he fotch 'er a wipe wid de udder han' en dat stuck. Tar-Baby, she ain't sayin' nothin', en Brer Fox, he lay low.

" 'Tu'n me loose, fo' I kick de natchul stuffin' out'n you,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee, but de Tar-Baby, she ain't sayin' nothing. She des hilt on, en den Brer Rabbit lose de use er his feet in de same way. Brer Fox, he lay low. Den Brer Rabbit squall out dat ef de Tar-Baby don't tu'n 'im loose he butt 'er cranksided. En den he butted, en his head got stuck. Den Brer Fox, he sa'ntered fort', lookin' des ez innercent ez one er yo' mammy's mockin' birds.

" 'Howdy, Brer Rabbit," sez Brer Fox, sezee. 'You look sorter stuck up dis mawin',' sezee, en den he rolled on de groun', en laughed en laughed twel he couldn't laugh no mo'.

'I speck you'll take dinner wid me dis time, Brer Rabbit. I done laid in some calamus root, en I ain't gwine ter take no skuse,' sez Brer Fox, sezee."

Here Uncle Remus paused, and drew a two-pound yam out of the ashes.

"Did the Fox eat the Rabbit?" asked the little boy to whom the story had been told.

"Dat's all de fur de tale goes," replied the old man. "He mought, en den again he moughtent. Some say Jedge B'ar come long en loosed 'im - some say he didn't. I hear Miss Sally callin'. You beter run 'long.

Here's some info on one-pot rabbit stew -- as long as you can find calamus root. Also as a public service to help Tutsiwarrior with his English

who ever said dat tutsi speaks english???...he speaks tutsiwarriorease...a phonetic and colloquial attempt to have folks comprehend the simple meaning of 'tutsi's tales'...I had a chat about this wid 'ol Will, Mr Donne an' Mr Marlowe an' they all agreed... :o ...after all...it is acknowleged that Mr Chaucer made up his own language as he went along...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

OK Mr. TutsiWarrior -- Point well taken. My mistake. I m thought I recognized a few intersprersed English words but it musta beeen all the 'ya' dem noises been givin' me here in da hospital... and as Faust done say :

"Iz dis be da face dat done set out dem tousand boats -- com'on down here sweet-stuff Helen and suck-up -- see all dem flies??'

Who'da thunk...aint' that dilek segashu-us...your Gran-daddy must have been a kick...

BTW JetG calamus root really exists often called 'sweet flag' -- the author of the 'Uncle Remus' stories is Joel Chandler Harris (1848 - 1908)-- the complete 'Uncle Remus' is available at

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext00/remus11.txt

with a long preface by Harris himself

OK Mr. TutsiWarrior -- Point well taken. My mistake. I m thought I recognized a few intersprersed English words but it musta beeen all the 'ya' dem noises been givin' me here in da hospital... and as Faust done say :

"Iz dis be da face dat done set out dem tousand boats -- com'on down here sweet-stuff Helen and suck-up -- see all dem flies??'

Who'da thunk...aint' that dilek segashu-us...your Gran-daddy must have been a kick...

BTW JetG calamus root really exists often called 'sweet flag' -- the author of the 'Uncle Remus' stories is Joel Chandler Harris (1848 - 1908)-- the complete 'Uncle Remus' is available at

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext00/remus11.txt

with a long preface by Harris himself

Thank you kindly, Dear Jazzbo, for the info. Tutsi must be off to the market with his straw carrier bag and bicycle.

My aunty knew that Helen chick, and by all accounts she had nothin on my Aunty Med.

nah...tutsi was passed out an' at 12pm the 12 y.o. niece pounded on de door to say 'uncle tutsi, wake up!' I went to check the yellow split peas that are soakin' that I'm gonna use to make dahl, later to cook in my splendid new rice cooker...checked de recipie an' found that I had no tomatoes...said to de niece 'go down de market and get nung kilo ob tomatoes...' she took de new bike an' her 9 y.o. cousin an' came back wid some nice lookin' toms...

I stepped back an' had a look at de niece...she useta be a bean pole and is now fillin' out remarkably...I thought "gotta get this girl into university...wid her smarts and beauty would be a great asset to de family...'

she's down in de kitchen now doin' de washin' up...the yellow split peas are slow cookin'....an' tutsi is at peace widde world...

just finished cookin' the dahl wid yellow split peas rather than lentils (can't find no lentils)...superb, using Ms JG's rice cooker suggestion for the peas...THANK YOU, MS JG!!!...now that I can cook beans an' pulses my life in rural Thailand has been immeasurably improved...

to get hip to de rice cooker method, get yerself a cheap 300 baht rice cooker, soak the beans or whatever fer two days den cook in de rice cooker...after about 5-8 hours ob cooking even the toughest dried bean comes out like a lamb ready for slaughter...chilli an' beans, bean salad, you name it, no need to be a slave to the pathetic rural tescos offering...

ye still gotta do yer own tomato sauce...dip de toms in boiling water fer a few seconds, peel and de-seed an' bob's yer uncle...mashed dem up wid the cooked yella split peas fer a good result...

I really need to get out more, I just thought of something else you can do for the warm weather. Gazpacho. Can of toms, peeled and deseeded cucumber, couple of cloves of garlic, all in the blender, whiz, add a bit of olive oil and enjoy chilled. Keeps for a couple of days and freezes well too

It seemed a lot more work than that when I lived in Spain:

Ingredientes: 8 tomates rojos

2 pepinos pequennos

1 rebanada de pan

2 dientes de ajo

2 pimiento

cuarto litro de aceite

vinagre

sal

agua

Must try your recipe - love it :o

One of my favourites and I bet you will eat your plate as well.

Very simple and quick.

Cook any kind of pasta

Cook spinach (for 3 person I usally take 4 crops)

After the spinach is cooked you chop it up real fine

Add about half a can to a can of pesto

Add parmesan cheese (about half a bag)

Once pasta is ready get rid of the water and dump in the spinach mixture

Add some salt and pepper and perhaps some coriander,thyme

Stirr all componants very well and serve.

What I usally do is to add some chicken breast cutted into small pieces and cook

and after I add it to the above mixture but you can do without if you not like meat.

Even my Thai friends liked it a lot and were asking for more :o

This dish takes about twenty minutes to make.

Kind regards,

Alex

but, Alex...where does one find prepared pesto???...I'd make it meself but the requirement for pine nuts defies local comprehension... :D

I've seen Pesto at Tesco's. Used to make my own with almonds.

One pot recipe:

One kilo of cubed beef (best thai cut available)

3 onions chopped

10 cloves garlic chopped up into tiny little bits

1-2 beef stock cubes

Can of peeled tomatoes chopped up

Couple of carrots and any other veges you like

Splash of soy and fish sauce

Bottle of red wine (In the pot and not down the elementry canal!)

cup of water

A few birds eye red hot thingies...

Cook untill beef is tender.(3-5 hours)Keep adding water if it takes a while.

When the meat is tender and the liquid is nice and thick,serve over rice.

That sounds delish, Chuchok. Thanks! A whole bottle of red. That would tenderise a gizzard. I often add soya sauce to stews, too. Extra zing.

So happy you enjoy the rice cooker, Tutsi. Makes chef life simple, no? I like mong beans too (small green beans in packs at the market). Nice flavour and go well with chicken in a stew.

That sounds delish, Chuchok. Thanks! A whole bottle of red. That would tenderise a gizzard. I often add soya sauce to stews, too. Extra zing.

yep a little soy goes well.Better the Red,the better the taste too,(according to a french chef that I know,but they would say that!! :o ) The recipe is a bastardisation of Beef Bourguignon.one bottle of red a minimum requirement.If you leave over night before cooking,it tastes better.It also tastes better a day later after cooking.

yep a little soy goes well.Better the Red,the better the taste too,(according to a french chef that I know,but they would say that!! :o ) The recipe is a bastardisation of Beef Bourguignon.one bottle of red a minimum requirement.If you leave over night before cooking,it tastes better.It also tastes better a day later after cooking.

Oh, do you mean marinate the meat in the wine overnight before cooking? And does it turn out sort of tomato sauce style?

I hear you on the better the next day front. I guess the flavours meld and blend to make a tasty melody.

Ever add mushrooms to this baby?

One pot recipe:

One kilo of cubed beef (best thai cut available)

3 onions chopped

10 cloves garlic chopped up into tiny little bits

1-2 beef stock cubes

Can of peeled tomatoes chopped up

Couple of carrots and any other veges you like

Splash of soy and fish sauce

Bottle of red wine (In the pot and not down the elementry canal!)

cup of water

A few birds eye red hot thingies...

Cook untill beef is tender.(3-5 hours)Keep adding water if it takes a while.

When the meat is tender and the liquid is nice and thick,serve over rice.

dis sounds great an' adaptable to the rice cooker...I useta make a great beef bourguinion followin' the classic Julia Child recipie about 30 years ago...I shall splash out onna boddle ob red wine for de specific purpose...dat crummy shoe leather beef at tescos could not withstand 3-5 hours simmerin' in de slow cooker...turn it inta fine mush...right on!

tutsi is at de keyboard...

'slow cooker, puddy puddy...

'slow cooker, puddy puddy...gimme dat beef an' wine spodie odie an' we'll burn de mother down...'

dis sounds great an' adaptable to the rice cooker...I useta make a great beef bourguinion followin' the classic Julia Child recipie about 30 years ago...I shall splash out onna boddle ob red wine for de specific purpose...dat crummy shoe leather beef at tescos could not withstand 3-5 hours simmerin' in de slow cooker...turn it inta fine mush...right on!

'slow cooker, puddy puddy...gimme dat beef an' wine spodie odie an' we'll burn de mother down...'

:o

Get your beef at the market, Tutsi! Look for the cow carcass hanging by one hoof.

:o

Get your beef at the market, Tutsi! Look for the cow carcass hanging by one hoof.

still haven't been able to find no beef down the market although de wife claims that it's there...never seen no cow carcass hangin' nowhere. I believe that vendors come down, set up an' sell selected cuts then depart before 7am...all the permanent butcher stalls are occupied by pig sellers...

btw...gettin' ready to make sum sausage wid me splendid, imported from Bahrain power meat grinder wid sausage attachment. Got alla spices, just gotta get the wife to get sum casings from de market...did it once before an' turned out a treat, de family even ate sum...

sausage recipies anyone?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Strange no beef. Sometimes they keep it in coolers, so you have to ask. It really is good, altho some Brits I know say it is too fresh (ie, it's not cured or hung). I never had a prob with that. Filet for steaks and the roast-sized chunks for stew or stirfry.

So, you're doing sausages? Wow. What are the casings -- piggy? What do you grind up and what spices do you use? They sound yummy. Tutsi's Power Breakkie.