Favourite One Pot Recipe

Jet Gorgon

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gallo pinto (nicaraguan)...inna skillet (or wok) saute uncooked rice in sum oil...throw in onions, garlic and chiles and cooked beans (the nicas like black beans) and enough water to cook the rice...salt, pepper an' cilantro garnish...

best served with tortillas but good luck findin' 'em...

with corn tortillas and a squash like vegetable you have CBS; corn, beans and squash...perfect vegetable protein...the natives in mesoamerica lived onnit for centuries...

yeah...poor people's food that you buy on street corners in Managua, served onna banana leaf an' eaten wid fingers...

wish I had a recipie for lawa (quechua word), an andean stew, basically potatoes and millet and whatever comes to hand, carrots, maybe a guinea pig if it is someone's birthday. Quite tasty...I had my housekeeper in Cochabamba, Emita, have it prepared every day for when I got outta bed around 12pm...take nice, crusty fresh bread and wallop it...yum...

Veggie chilli:

This makes really big quantity (about 8 servings) but it freezes well. You can change the veggies I use for whatever you like.

Slice & fry one onion & 3-4 cloves crushed garlic until soft. Add one cubed eggplant (skin on), and 2 cubed zucchini, fry for 4 or 5 mins. Add 1 small sliced red pepper (capsicum) & 1 small sliced green pepper. Fry for about 2 mins. Add 1-3 (depending on taste) chopped chillis, sliced mushrooms & chopped baby corn. I add dried spices here too, 1 tsp paprika, 2 tsp chilli powder & half teaspoon of cayenne, but depends on your taste. Then add about half a small can tomato paste, and 1 large can tomatoes as well as about half of the tomato can of water. Cook for 10 mins.

Drain & rinse 1 can red kidney beans, 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) & 1 can white beans. Add beans to mixture & cook for another 15 mins. Season to taste. Add more water if needed as you need it. Only stir occasionally to stop it sticking, too much stirring & it'll turn to mush.

Good with bread or rice.

Veggie chilli:

This makes really big quantity (about 8 servings) but it freezes well. You can change the veggies I use for whatever you like.

Slice & fry one onion & 3-4 cloves crushed garlic until soft. Add one cubed eggplant (skin on), and 2 cubed zucchini, fry for 4 or 5 mins. Add 1 small sliced red pepper (capsicum) & 1 small sliced green pepper. Fry for about 2 mins. Add 1-3 (depending on taste) chopped chillis, sliced mushrooms & chopped baby corn. I add dried spices here too, 1 tsp paprika, 2 tsp chilli powder & half teaspoon of cayenne, but depends on your taste. Then add about half a small can tomato paste, and 1 large can tomatoes as well as about half of the tomato can of water. Cook for 10 mins.

Drain & rinse 1 can red kidney beans, 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) & 1 can white beans. Add beans to mixture & cook for another 15 mins. Season to taste. Add more water if needed as you need it. Only stir occasionally to stop it sticking, too much stirring & it'll turn to mush.

Good with bread or rice.

sounds a bit like ratatouille but with beans...ratatouille is another good one pot dish...recipies can be found everywhere...

sure wish I could find canned kidneys, garbanzos and tomatoes in Suphanburi...would make life a lot easier... :o

Chicken without a fancy pants name (my very own made up recipe)

Some chicken breasts cut into cubes

An onion finely sliced

A red pepper chopped small

A mushroom stock cube and some fluid wine or just water

A bit of tarragon

A bit of double/whipping cream

Take the first four things and put them in a dish, cook until boiling over a flame, then put in the oven or carry on cooking on hob. Once it is done, add the herb and some cream. Yum yum. It's bloody fab.

Paella is good if you can find the rice. Real easy.

All you need is a flat based fry pan.

Dice an onion & fry in a knob of butter & a small amount of olive oil

add a crushed garlic clove

(additional is a spring of saffron but not essential)

add 50g per person of paella rice & fry with onions & garlic for a couple of minutes

Add 600mls of hot chicken stock (I use 2 knorr chicken stock cubes for this amount of water) & add to the pan.

Allow rice & stock to bubble & stir continually for a few minutes then reduce to a simmer.

Add diced chicken, ham, prawns, squid & clams ( or whatever you fancy or have at hand) & allow to simmer on a low heat for approx 30-40 minutes. You can also add a tin of peas to the simmer stage if you want.

I have this quite a lot but even without the meat or shellfish it is still a delicious side dish & makes a nice change from the usual plain rice or potatoes with a stew or casserole.

Ok, this is not as sophisticated as the other posters but it is a special treat for me. Of course if on a low cholesteral diet, well .... :o

Golden Brown Macaroni and Cheese

* 6 cups water

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

* 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter (I use Orchid creamy salted)

* 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, divided (I use Mainland Vintage - a little sharper)

* 1 cups grated Velveeta Cheddar cheese, divided (milder chedder)

* 2 large eggs

* 1/2 cup milk

* optional - black pepper to spice it up some

* paprika, for the top

For the cheese - I slice the Vintage while it is cold then crumble it into a microwave dish, the Velveeta I slice into small pieces and place it also in the microwave dish. I place it in the microwave oven enough only to soften it up (slightly melted). Too long and the cheese will disassociate.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch aluminium cake pan (a caserole dish will also work). (I use a counter top toaster oven, have a fairly large one)

In a 6-quart pot, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain. Return the macaroni to the pot and stir in the butter or margarine until melted. Add 2 cups of the Cheddar cheese.

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Beat in the milk and add black pepper (optional). Add the milk mixture to the pot with the macaroni. Stir until combined. Spoon into the prepared baking pan. Spread the remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese on top. Dust with paprika. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the casserole is warm throughout. I prefer when the top just starts browning.

Makes 5 to 6 servings as a side dish. Not exactly a One Pot Recipe I guess, but I have to control myself or will eat way to much of it.

just returned from tescos where I splashed out on a 1L Otto 400W rice cooker...on special for 299 baht...with which to explore Ms gorgons one pot and bean cooking recommendations...got sum red kidneys soaking as I write. I shall follow yer directions, Ms gorgon...but if my red kidneys still turn out crunchy I'll be gunnin' fer yuh :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

just returned from tescos where I splashed out on a 1L Otto 400W rice cooker...on special for 299 baht...with which to explore Ms gorgons one pot and bean cooking recommendations...got sum red kidneys soaking as I write. I shall follow yer directions, Ms gorgon...but if my red kidneys still turn out crunchy I'll be gunnin' fer yuh :o

Now, I told you the beans may take two days soakin. Maybe two days cooking too. If you are unhappy after that, well fire away. My coordinates are 9° 28' 60 N, 100° 0' 0 E. Please try to be accurate, because the temple is pretty close to my house. And they have many stray dogs and cats, and I don't want them getting hurt.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Now, I told you the beans may take two days soakin. Maybe two days cooking too. If you are unhappy after that, well fire away. My coordinates are 9° 28' 60 N, 100° 0' 0 E. Please try to be accurate, because the temple is pretty close to my house. And they have many stray dogs and cats, and I don't want them getting hurt.

if my beans are still crunchy mebbe I'll skin one an' throw it inna new slow cooker fer supper...(hissss)

That sounds so good, I'm rustling up a batch of chili meself. Got a tip from an Indian lady to use chili powder and Hungarian paprika. Double zing. And to remember the famous last words of frontiersman Kit Carson, "Wish I had time for just one more bowl of chili." Gods rest his soul.

Bet my pot's ready before yours, Tutsi. And don't add cat, as it tastes like chicken. I know because there were never any meow faces hanging out in Chinatown when I grew up, and the chicken chow mein alwas tasted a bit, well, catty.

And then I'm going to try making Leisurely's no fancy pants chicken cause I found a shop with heavy cream.

Tornados Chilli Spag.

fry onion and garlic until golden in olive oil.

add a dash of red wine and a can of tomatoes

add Jalapeno peppers to taste (I like super hot, so I add 7 whole ones to one can of tomatoes)

add some paprika (one tablespoon per 1 can of tomatoes)

add 3 Thai chillis

add oregeno, Italian herbs

add one stock cube (beef or pork)

more red wine

make sure all alcohol boiled away as the dish gets a little sweeter.

done and lovely, if cooked on low heat for about 1 1/2 hours. (ofcourse you can add meat if you like, but not needed).

Edited by Tornado

OK, 2 more. Tutsi, I'm really sorry if you can't get canned tomatoes, heavy cream, parmesan or risotto rice. I'm not deliberately posting recipes you can't make! :o

Hot tomato risotto Serves 2

1 tbsp olive oil,

small onion, finely chopped

1 crushed garlic clove

2 small hot red chillies, finely chopped

250g (8 oz) risotto rice

400g (14oz) can tomatoes, undrained, chopped

900mls (1.5 pints) stock (chicken or vegetable)

4 tomatoes, skinned & roughly chopped

30g (1 oz) butter or margarine

2 tbsp fresh grated parmesan

2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Heat oil in large pan & fry onion, garlic & chillies until softened. Stir in rice & cook for 1 minute

Tip in can of tomatoes & stir until juices are absorbed by rice. Gradually add stock, a little at a time, making sure liquid is absorbed before you add more, until rice is cooked. Cook over a medium high heat, stirring frequently. It should take about 20 mins for all stock to be absorbed.

When rice is cooked, stir in fresh tomatoes, parmesan & parsley. Season to taste. Serve immediately.

Spaghetti with vodka & chilli Serves 2

250g (8oz) spaghetti

1 tbsp olive oil

2 small chillies, finely chopped

2 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded & finely chopped

4 tbsp vodka

4 tbsp double (heavy) cream

salt & freshly ground pepper

Cook the pasta as per packet instructions

Meanwhile, heat oil & butter in small frying pan (skillet) Add chillies & tomatoes & cook for 4 mins. Add vodka & simmer rapidly for about 3 mins. Stir in cream, bring to boil & remove from heat. Season to taste

Drain pasta well & toss with sauce. Serve immediately

Oh, and an idea for any leftover chilli you might have (meat or veg variety)

Take a large capsicum which has a flattish base so it can stand up. Wash it & cut off top. Take out seeds & membranes. Stuff with meat/veg chilli, sprinkle some chilli powder or flakes on top. Add grated or sliced cheese & replace top. Wrap in tin foil & place on ovenproof dish or tray. Bake in oven for 1 - 1.5hrs until very soft. Delicious!

One of my favourites and I bet you will eat your plate as well.

Very simple and quick.

Cook any kind of pasta

Cook spinach (for 3 person I usally take 4 crops)

After the spinach is cooked you chop it up real fine

Add about half a can to a can of pesto

Add parmesan cheese (about half a bag)

Once pasta is ready get rid of the water and dump in the spinach mixture

Add some salt and pepper and perhaps some coriander,thyme

Stirr all componants very well and serve.

What I usally do is to add some chicken breast cutted into small pieces and cook

and after I add it to the above mixture but you can do without if you not like meat.

Even my Thai friends liked it a lot and were asking for more :o

This dish takes about twenty minutes to make.

Kind regards,

Alex

One of my favourites and I bet you will eat your plate as well.

Very simple and quick.

Cook any kind of pasta

Cook spinach (for 3 person I usally take 4 crops)

After the spinach is cooked you chop it up real fine

Add about half a can to a can of pesto

Add parmesan cheese (about half a bag)

Once pasta is ready get rid of the water and dump in the spinach mixture

Add some salt and pepper and perhaps some coriander,thyme

Stirr all componants very well and serve.

What I usally do is to add some chicken breast cutted into small pieces and cook

and after I add it to the above mixture but you can do without if you not like meat.

Even my Thai friends liked it a lot and were asking for more :o

This dish takes about twenty minutes to make.

Kind regards,

Alex

but, Alex...where does one find prepared pesto???...I'd make it meself but the requirement for pine nuts defies local comprehension... :D

You can make it yourself Tutsi.

Just have some Basil leave (a lot) and grind it with some oil.

After you add some salt and pepper you wil be fine.

Just make sure you grind it very well

and add some Parmesan cheese.

I do this all the time

Funny. I grew up in Santa Cruz. Miss salteñas a lot. Some chicha would be nice...

yeah...poor people's food that you buy on street corners in Managua, served onna banana leaf an' eaten wid fingers...

wish I had a recipie for lawa (quechua word), an andean stew, basically potatoes and millet and whatever comes to hand, carrots, maybe a guinea pig if it is someone's birthday. Quite tasty...I had my housekeeper in Cochabamba, Emita, have it prepared every day for when I got outta bed around 12pm...take nice, crusty fresh bread and wallop it...yum...

I do this all the time

If you want you can add some peanuts it is up to you na.

It not really make a difference in taste.

Chicken without a fancy pants name (my very own made up recipe)

Some chicken breasts cut into cubes

An onion finely sliced

A red pepper chopped small

A mushroom stock cube and some fluid wine or just water

A bit of tarragon

A bit of double/whipping cream

Take the first four things and put them in a dish, cook until boiling over a flame, then put in the oven or carry on cooking on hob. Once it is done, add the herb and some cream. Yum yum. It's bloody fab.

Wonder what this would taste like with coconut milk instead of the cream. Think I'lll try it that way.

Funny. I grew up in Santa Cruz. Miss salteñas a lot. Some chicha would be nice...

cambinga?...didn't think that they had saltenas down your way, but...whatever. chicha cruzena is a lot different than the highland variety, not made from maize and non-alcoholic, sorta like chilean chicha that they serve on their national day (god forbid that anyone would compare anything chileno wid boliviano)...they both taste like shit but are cheap and the chicha punatena from the Cochabamba valley will kick yer ass... :D

remember the taquidari 'viva Santa Cruz!' from carnaval?..a right on street dancin' number when tanked up on aguardiente...

:o , sorry...

I do this all the time

Or you can make parsley pesto, by blending (or using mortar & pestle) 2 handfuls fresh parsley, 2tbsp pistachios (shelled), 2 garlic cloves with 2tbsp olive oil & parmesan

You aren't kidding! I made some kidney beans recently for chili. I soaked them a paltry 12 hours, and then they took a solid 7 hours of simmering on the stove. I gotta get the crockpot I saw at Big C a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, here's another chicken recipe: Chicken Fricassee with Dumplings

1 cut up chicken or a kilo or so of your favorite pieces

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 soup can of milk

salt, pepper, rosemary, oil

Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper and rosemary. Brown the chicken in a little oil in a deep panand remove from pan. Drain excess from the pan fat and add the soup and milk. Stir with a whisk to deglaze the pan and de-lump the soup. Add the chicken and simmer 15 minutes or so.

While the chicken simmers make dumplings. I use Bisquick because I am lazy and it works well. The recipe for those is on the box; add half a teaspoon of rosemary to them and follow the instructions on the box for cooking them. For purists:

2 cups flour

1 TBS baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

Mix those together. Melt together

3 TBS butter

1 cup milk

and add to the dry ingedients. stir with a fork or knead by hand just until it lumps together. Roll it into about 18 small balls and set then in the pan on top of the liquid. Cover and cook forr 10 minutes.

Eat. Optionally you may use sage instead of, or in addition to, rosemary for a dumpling that tastes like stuffing.

You aren't kidding! I made some kidney beans recently for chili. I soaked them a paltry 12 hours, and then they took a solid 7 hours of simmering on the stove. I gotta get the crockpot I saw at Big C a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, here's another chicken recipe: Chicken Fricassee with Dumplings

1 cut up chicken or a kilo or so of your favorite pieces

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 soup can of milk

salt, pepper, rosemary, oil

Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper and rosemary. Brown the chicken in a little oil in a deep panand remove from pan. Drain excess from the pan fat and add the soup and milk. Stir with a whisk to deglaze the pan and de-lump the soup. Add the chicken and simmer 15 minutes or so.

While the chicken simmers make dumplings. I use Bisquick because I am lazy and it works well. The recipe for those is on the box; add half a teaspoon of rosemary to them and follow the instructions on the box for cooking them. For purists:

2 cups flour

1 TBS baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

Mix those together. Melt together

3 TBS butter

1 cup milk

and add to the dry ingedients. stir with a fork or knead by hand just until it lumps together. Roll it into about 18 small balls and set then in the pan on top of the liquid. Cover and cook forr 10 minutes.

Eat. Optionally you may use sage instead of, or in addition to, rosemary for a dumpling that tastes like stuffing.