where have all the smart, nice members gone ?

rumak

I don't post often, because I only post when I am sure about what I am talking about.   I definitely am not an expert in all things.

I look at TV as a way to pass some time,  gain a little insight some times,  and even occasionally learn something.  Seems like some

of the members I liked...because they gave answers once in a while and did not get into the ego game,  have gone quiet.

People like Kaptainrob.   Now its just the same ten or so posters who battle it out with false assumptions and nasty comments.

I think its time I joined the retired ones.  I sure am glad that posting on TV is not where I get my sense of self worth.  How many

of you (others) feel the same way ?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to ebb & flow and go in cycles.....Sometimes the contributors are mostly unpleasant - other times it goes pretty nicely....

Haven't seen KR for awhile either.....

One thing I've noticed in sports groups I've been involved with is there's always revolving faces.... Hardy ever the same people over one or a couple of years.....

It's actually kind of tame lately....I think they purged a lot of the nastiest  people....

37 minutes ago, rumak said:

I don't post often, because I only post when I am sure about what I am talking about.   I definitely am not an expert in all things.

Do you equate your own posting  behavior with "smart and nice" ?

I hunger for smart: nice, or not :)

o:~37;

2 minutes ago, orang37 said:

Do you equate your own posting  behavior with "smart and nice" ?

I hunger for smart: nice, or not :)

o:~37;

AH, congratulations .   You are No.1   !

Just now, rumak said:

AH, congratulations .   You are No.1   !

I'll be no.2 then as it's clear to me that rumak actually knows very little and this explains his lack of posts as he only discusses something he is "sure" he knows about.

9 minutes ago, Zooheekock said:

The Alexa ranking for the site is way down on what it was a few years ago, and clearly the posting rate is plummeting. No idea about individual posters, though, since I've only ever looked in very occasionally, and then usually only when I'm looking for a very specific piece of information.

Anonymous forums seem to be a thing of the past though .

Just part of the naturally evolving internet , began with E-mail groups , message boards, forums and now its facebook and twitter

Reddit seems to be doing OK.

I think, though, that survival depends on a variety of factors, and given the way Thaivisa has been positioned and is run, the outlook is probably not great. The same is true for another Thai forum, which is in an even worse state (though I think I'm banned from mentioning its name).

Just now, sanemax said:

Just part of the naturally evolving internet , began with E-mail groups , message boards, forums and now its facebook and twitter

Not sure about that. Facebook is king yeah but social media is becoming more topic concentrated and spiralling off into its own categories of interest. This website does appear down.There was a time when there were loads of people touting stuff Web design etc. Never see that here anymore. Us there another site stealing market share?

Thai Visa in my eyes is no longer a forum it is a mutual admiration society. It is dominated by people of the same mind only complimenting each other. There is no real forum. If the chosen few disagree with some poster that poster is attacked till the poster leaves.

39 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Thai Visa in my eyes is no longer a forum it is a mutual admiration society. It is dominated by people of the same mind only complimenting each other.

Well, we can only speak for our two-in-one self, but, we admire and despise everyone here equally, and indifferently, and that is all we ask for ourselves.

cheers, o"37;

2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

It seems to ebb & flow and go in cycles.....Sometimes the contributors are mostly unpleasant - other times it goes pretty nicely....

Hmm.. I think web forums are kind of over.  Mostly Facebook groups now. 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

And Usenet, yes..  soc.culture.thai and all those. 

Huge misconception on the part of Facebook that lack of anonymity makes things better.   It actually makes it worse, by a lot.

I doubt i am smart or nice, but several years ago I decided to limit my posts to the CM forum to something like an 80/20 fact/opinion split. I think it started during the unrest of 2010. So I answer questions about where to buy a widget or post an occasional translation but try not to offer my views on Thainess. I try to be helpful because i know how much I appreciate an act of kindness or at least thoughtfulness. Apparently my experience here is so different to that of others, my outlook is in the minority. Fine with me and I don't think I'll try to force it on others. 

6 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Hmm.. I think web forums are kind of over.  Mostly Facebook groups now. 

Stack it high, sell it cheap forums like Thaivisa are clearly losing out massively to Facebook but a focused, well lead, and sensibly moderated forum would still do well, I'm sure. Not everyone likes to use Facebook, in the case of Thailand, that's especially true for anything related to politics, and the more relaxed, less time-pressured nature of forums means that for anything not superficial (which rules out most of Thaivisa), forums are the better medium.

I still pick up the occasional piece of useful information here, so its purpose is still valid for me.

As for 'nice?'  ThaiVisa has ALWAYS been a shark pit... with just the odd 3-4 posters who don't lambaste others when their opinions differ.  Nothing new about that.

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

Thai Visa in my eyes is no longer a forum it is a mutual admiration society. It is dominated by people of the same mind only complimenting each other. There is no real forum. If the chosen few disagree with some poster that poster is attacked till the poster leaves.

What is the difference between "a mutual admiration society" and "people of the same mind only complimenting each other"?

Don't those two statements mean the same thing?

Since I now appear to disagree with your post does that mean you will leave if a few more people make adverse comments.

I believe you need a certain amount of "thick skin"  to get involved in any public forum. 

I can't understand why Facebook would draw members from here. It is the absolute opposite of an anonymous forum. On Facebook you got to walk on egg shells for fear of danging all the tender hearts and various people you are associated with but don't necessarily share their politics. On here you can be the real you and still have a job in the morning and your business contacts won't cut you off because you said something mean about Justin Bieber.

Also Facebook sucks.

32 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What is the difference between "a mutual admiration society" and "people of the same mind only complimenting each other"?

Don't those two statements mean the same thing?

Since I now appear to disagree with your post does that mean you will leave if a few more people make adverse comments.

I believe you need a certain amount of "thick skin"  to get involved in any public forum. 

You are right about the 2 statements are much the same. So what?

I never disappear I am  a Canadian  we  believe in free speech so I never leave because of others. Just gives me more reason to stay.  .In my post I was referring to past posters not myself you get confused easy huh

33 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

You are right about the 2 statements are much the same. So what?

So what was the point of making a pointless statement! 

Why make it in the first place unless it was to prove the OP's point, which you seem to have excelled at.

.In my post I was referring to past posters not myself

Which bit of your post was referring to past posters if not yourself.

you get confused easy huh

I Think you are the one who is confused!

PS;  What does "huh" have to do with this?

According to the OED it can mean all of the following;

"huh

exclamation used to express scorn or surprise, or in questions to invite agreement."

Which is it, scorn or agreement?  I don't want you to get too confused.

PPS;  The OP now has the reaction I think he wanted, well done!

:partytime2:

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Facebook would draw members from here. It is the absolute opposite of an anonymous forum.

If you think the sheeple on FarceBook and TwitBot are real people: "The Follower Factory" NY Times:

"All these accounts belong to customers of an obscure American company named Devumi that has collected millions of dollars in a shadowy global marketplace for social media fraud. Devumi sells Twitter followers and retweets to celebrities, businesses and anyone who wants to appear more popular or exert influence online. Drawing on an estimated stock of at least 3.5 million automated accounts, each sold many times over, the company has provided customers with more than 200 million Twitter followers, a New York Times investigation found."

But, I have always had the best friends money can buy.

~o:37;

Many people have been quite helpful to me over the years. Some particularly have private messaged me with advice and conversation. So I not sure about generalising. Things change and move on. People are people. Politeness costs nothing...I try to help if I can and if there’s something I actually know about or have first hand experience with I will contribute ...

Archived