where have all the smart, nice members gone ?

rumak

55 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

That is your best post as of yet. First one  that is not a troll good for you .

i don't think mr.john understands sarcasm .   and i think i can guarantee that "no further comment"

will not last very long  :-)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything changes...

Those who have been around for many years, grown comfortable seeing the same names, the same threads (there hasn't been a 'Best Hamburger in Chiang Mai' thread in years!) and the same fights might find themselves thinking ThaiVisa isn't what it used to be, and leave.

New folks come along and think ThaiVisa to be a great place to find information, and they are right. It is. It's just different information from what had gone on in the past. The new folks are satisfied with what they get. They are surprised that ThaiVisa is often a snake pit of bickering and bullying, and they comment on it just as the past members did. And when they get tired of it, they, too, will move along, and new names will take their places. And love/hate ThaiVisa.

I used to love going to Koh Tao 25 years ago, before they had roads and electricity. It was Paradise. I can't stand the place now. But some friends of mine just went there for their first time, and loved it. To them, it was Paradise. Five years from now, as it continues to evolve, they probably will hate it.

Everything changes...

To OP, who are the" smart and nice members," you miss?

regrettably there does seem to be a lot more antagonist

posters,who would find it difficult to say a nice word about

anybody,that never post anything constructive or helpful.

but just criticise other posters,thats their Raison d'être it

seems.

regards Worgeordie

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Everything changes...

Those who have been around for many years, grown comfortable seeing the same names, the same threads (there hasn't been a 'Best Hamburger in Chiang Mai' thread in years!) and the same fights might find themselves thinking ThaiVisa isn't what it used to be, and leave.

New folks come along and think ThaiVisa to be a great place to find information, and they are right. It is. It's just different information from what had gone on in the past. The new folks are satisfied with what they get. They are surprised that ThaiVisa is often a snake pit of bickering and bullying, and they comment on it just as the past members did. And when they get tired of it, they, too, will move along, and new names will take their places. And love/hate ThaiVisa.

I used to love going to Koh Tao 25 years ago, before they had roads and electricity. It was Paradise. I can't stand the place now. But some friends of mine just went there for their first time, and loved it. To them, it was Paradise. Five years from now, as it continues to evolve, they probably will hate it.

Everything changes...

Many years ago when I used to look at TVF during work hours I printed out pages that had interesting posts on them, but looking at them now, there are hardly any familiar usernames to be seen.

Personally, I enjoyed the threads on ladyboys and such as they always engendered a good debate. 

The sort of threads we seem to get now are much less interesting, IMO.

Still get an occasional good one though. The threads about medical problems are always popular.

14 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Not my fault that I am younger than many of these elderly angry males. The bookies say they will go before me. And to be honest, I hope so too, because I like living. The flower festival is on and what better way to celebrate than to take in some of the awesome beauty.

Yes, the flower show is on and here you are sat at home , talking to me 

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

To OP, who are the" smart and nice members," you miss?

regrettably there does seem to be a lot more antagonist

posters,who would find it difficult to say a nice word about

anybody,that never post anything constructive or helpful.

but just criticise other posters,thats their Raison d'être it

seems.

regards Worgeordie

well, i have to come clean and admit it was more a rhetorical question ....I am very pleased though at the

many thoughtful and in some cases deeply philosophical responses from our esteemed members.

Also, I have learned a lot, not least of all who I might choose to be on my side at the next TV croquet

tournament.  (yes, you can be if you like)

Rumak

9 minutes ago, rumak said:

well, i have to come clean and admit it was more a rhetorical question ....I am very pleased though at the

many thoughtful and in some cases deeply philosophical responses from our esteemed members.

Also, I have learned a lot, not least of all who I might choose to be on my side at the next TV croquet

tournament.  (yes, you can be if you like)

Rumak

Gosh TVF croquet !!

Remember to point out the small balls on the lawn , otherwise they might think you have invited them for an afternoon of kitchen demolition !!

23 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

LOL. Sweet. They probably don't see it because of their age and health related vision issues.    I note the increasing the number of folks who are on death's doorstep now. And this gets back to one of the earlier posts, that pointed out that younger people are not interested in these types of forums, with their undertones of sexual exploitation, bigotry and rampant misogyny. 

Both the average age and the median age of forum members is increasing because the member demographic itself is aging, while the overall  pool of  active members is decreasing. I'm no spring chicken, but with each and every passing year since I  have read the forum, the divide between the opinions of the majority of society and those of the predominately elderly, poorly educated, culturally stunted elderly males grows more obvious. They long for an era that has passed. 

Not my fault that I am younger than many of these elderly angry males. The bookies say they will go before me. And to be honest, I hope so too, because I like living. The flower festival is on and what better way to celebrate than to take in some of the awesome beauty.

I suggest you look at the routes the airplanes are now flying. Although they do follow some of the Israeli El Al flight paths, many of their flights are over some areas where SAMs go whoosh and where folks think nothing of firing anti aircraft missiles at aircraft.

Excellent post except that describing some members as poorly educated is bigotry and arrogance in it`s self.

I do strongly agree that many are culturally stunted, including me to a point and the viewpoints aired no longer relate with the younger generations that makes many switch off from TV as it becomes a platform for the moans and groans of grumpy old men that fail to adapt into the modern world, although that doesn`t mean these people are poorly educated, just stuck behind the times and still hold certain values that are non applicable today. 

I guess that the majority of Thailand expats are retirees and as TV is Thailand themed it will attract more of the male over 50s who have become bored and peeved off with life so they come on here to release their disgruntlements with modern society and each other.

Bit of a catch 22 really, it`s either facebook or Thai visa with nothing in-between that can appeal to everyone.

10 minutes ago, Naam said:

rubbish!

.Why did you only post the section of the map for south? Go up north, you know, over the part of Iran where the Kurds are  engaged in their dispute. As you well know, due to the local politics, Qatar is obliged to route through Iran and some of the more undesirable routes. The Amman Doha route now goes through Syria.  Frankly I could care less about its problems, but most of the regions carriers  were already flying in some very narrow corridors because of the local population's propensity for  killing each other.The congestion on the  remaining open corridors is heavy and considered to be the worst in the world, worse than on the restricted Chinese corridors. Do you know what happens when air corridors are crowded and packed beyond capacity?

22 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You do seem to like to call people names , maybe displaying your tender years

No. Perhaps in your dotage you have confused me with someone else. It's ok.

Thanks for the compliment though. 

synonyms:caring, kind, kindly, kindhearted, softhearted, c ompassionate, sympathetic, warm, warmhearted, gentle, mild, benevolent, generous, giving, humane 

All are so appropriate for me. :sleep:

3 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

No. Perhaps in your dotage you have confused me with someone else. It's ok.

Thanks for the compliment though. 

synonyms:caring, kind, kindly, kindhearted, softhearted, c ompassionate, sympathetic, warm, warmhearted, gentle, mild, benevolent, generous, giving, humane 

All are so appropriate for me. :sleep:

You do have a high opinion of yourself and a low opinion of myself  .

BTW , how old are you ?

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Cmon,   that's what we're all subjected to.   Don't take it personally.   

my favorite is the posters who go to great lengths to defend their honor...

then tell everyone not to take things so seriously.

jeez, who started this damn topic?   i'm tired of it   :partytime2:

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

LOL. Sweet. They probably don't see it because of their age and health related vision issues.    I note the increasing the number of folks who are on death's doorstep now. And this gets back to one of the earlier posts, that pointed out that younger people are not interested in these types of forums, with their undertones of sexual exploitation, bigotry and rampant misogyny. 

Both the average age and the median age of forum members is increasing because the member demographic itself is aging, while the overall  pool of  active members is decreasing. I'm no spring chicken, but with each and every passing year since I  have read the forum, the divide between the opinions of the majority of society and those of the predominately elderly, poorly educated, culturally stunted elderly males grows more obvious. They long for an era that has passed. 

I am not sure why you have decided to be such a biatch on this particular thread. What exactly is your point, the older generation has the wrong opinions and the wrong attitudes and the sooner they die the better. I would say that the OP is complaining more about someone with your attitudes than theirs. You seem to think that because they are not conforming to your progressive world view that they have no value. But western civilization is doomed, and it isn't their generation that pulled the plug on it.

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

describing some members as poorly educated is bigotry and arrogance in it`s self.

Can we compromise, and agree that bigotry and arrogance are not correlated with the altitude, degree, or quality,  of education ? Except, of course, when the views of another disagree with our own, or, do not clear the shibbolethic hurdles of whatever flavors of "correctness" we are addicted to.

~o:37;

Interesting thread, not least for the limited number of participants, yet broad views of the reasons popularity and quality of posters has dropped.

Well here it is guys, cheap airfares have created a connection to Thailand/TVisa for people who carry limited education, knowledge and debating skills - hence the new inexperienced are easily dispatched, or relegated to attempts of trading insults with the more experienced members, just to maintain participation

Nothing wrong with inexperience, we all had to endure the pleasure and occasional pain of gaining that knowledge, and experience,  unfortunately the adoption of 'views' trumpeted by others on the forum, promoted with tenacity, is no substitute for this real life experience.

Many years ago I was speaking with an American Airline pilot in a Kensington High Street Pub. I passed on the observation that American visitors were large and loud - yes he agreed, these guys have saved hard for their visit, and they damn well want people to know they are here :smile: - Perhaps similar to Tvisa these days - perhaps not

Take care guys have fun

48 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Is this a Seinfeld episode?

Is what a "Seinfeld episode".  Which of the previous 117 post is your comment in reference to and what is a Seinfeld episode anyway?

"rumak" seems to be proving his point when the question of where are the "smart" people is asked!

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

2. "rumak" You started this damm topic and deserve the responses.

thanks for reminding me, scottie.   i guess i got my meds mixed up and forgot.:shock1:

i guess i should add:   i am joking (for those who cannot tell)

22 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Khon Kaen Dave went back to the uk for a few months and probably just got out of the habit , he was kinda volatile but I liked him, we shared some similar music tastes and he knew the area i had grown up in so we had some things in common .

Anotheruser was looking at relocating back to the US and also thinking about Mexico so has probably left.( I think that was Anotheruser ? )

Kkd dog story was great. He was volatile

I never got that impression from A.U I think you have him mixed up with another user!

I never realised KKD was from north as I heard him talk of his family on London a lit. Battersea I think it were.

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Kkd dog story was great. He was volatile

I never got that impression from A.U I think you have him mixed up with another user!

I never realised KKD was from north as I heard him talk of his family on London a lit. Battersea I think it were.

Yes, i think i've mixed Anotheruser up with someone with a similar name. Someone else who has disappeared .

KKD is from London (east i think ) but he did work for a spell up in God's country and stayed very close to my hometown. His dog story was great but i think his downfall was a thread about Pattaya bar girls ! he asked the question and then didn't like the answers and blew a fuse !! i think he took a vacation on account of it. !!

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, i think i've mixed Anotheruser up with someone with a similar name. Someone else who has disappeared .

KKD is from London (east i think ) but he did work for a spell up in God's country and stayed very close to my hometown. His dog story was great but i think his downfall was a thread about Pattaya bar girls ! he asked the question and then didn't like the answers and blew a fuse !! i think he took a vacation on account of it. !!

I wonder if he took the dog.

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I am not sure why you have decided to be such a biatch on this particular thread. What exactly is your point, the older generation has the wrong opinions and the wrong attitudes and the sooner they die the better. I would say that the OP is complaining more about someone with your attitudes than theirs. You seem to think that because they are not conforming to your progressive world view that they have no value. But western civilization is doomed, and it isn't their generation that pulled the plug on it.

The  "older" generation as a whole most certainly cannot be characterized  as having "wrong opinions", "wrong attitudes" etc. Rather, the demographic of people who are elderly posters reflects a  very homogeneous subset. If we have 100   people age 60+ taken randomly, then there will be a diverse cross section of views. However, if we have 100 who are only smokers with pre-existing health conditions, then we would find specific characteristics that reflect the dominance of the smokers and  sick people, and those characteristics would dominate. That was my point.

The population pool TVF draws from is not reflective of the general population pool of foreigners.  I believe it draws on a population that is skewed to unskilled labour, few if any members of the professional class, people who are not particularly well read or cultured and who are cut off from the positive influence of a difference of views.  I am NOT saying everyone is an idiot or stupid. Obviously, there a large number of people who are quite the opposite. However, the point is that the general population of TVF skews to a concentration of a elderly white males of limited financial means.  

My grandmother kept current and knew what was going on. She was surrounded by change and interacted with all sorts of people, young and old. Her views evolved with time. I think she was typical of older people in my homeland, and even of  older Thais.  Many of the people posting in TVF are in Thailand, because this was all they could afford or get in life.  They are stuck in some tambon, with few if any  "smart" people to talk to, often limited in their ability to communicate and relying on their domestic partner to translate and to "fix" things. Their physical limitations  further impede interactions. This influences their views.  What we have is large number of people who were outsiders in their homelands who have moved to Thailand. It's why we see so many suicides and heart and stroke deaths. The at risk group is concentrated in Thailand.

No doubt you may disagree. Here's a simple proof of my position: How many senior managing directors, or multinational enterprise executives post in this forum? How many people who are under the age of  40 and who are NOT in IT /dive/TEFL /real estate sales  post in the forum? Few if any. Where are the  women, especially those aged 40 and under? Women as a whole will not accept   hostile comments of "cows", "slobs", "thieves"  coming from slobs who failed as husbands and fathers. That is why the views posted in TVF skew in a certain fashion.

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

BTW , how old are you ?

I should hope so. In comparison to many TVFers I am  light years ahead. In comparison to my peers in my homeland or Japan or New Zealand, I am just like anyone else. In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

7 hours ago, orang37 said:

Can we compromise, and agree that bigotry and arrogance are not correlated with the altitude, degree, or quality,  of education ? Except, of course, when the views of another disagree with our own, or, do not clear the shibbolethic hurdles of whatever flavors of "correctness" we are addicted to.

~o:37;

Unfortunately, in  a subset of the population,  the negative characteristics you describe are more pronounced. It's not unusual, nor specific to Thai Visa. For example, the European  football hooligans given to violence and mayhem as a whole, are of  lower intelligence levels compared to the general population. This is reflected in the predominance of unskilled labour, poor academic performance, and greater likelihood of personality disorders associated of these people. A skilled tradesman, or professional or  advanced athlete etc. is unlikely to be found  in a gang of football hooligans.  This  concept also applies to people who are most vocal on TVF. Not all, but if we distribute the population on  a line we would get a Bell curve with these people providing a bit of a  bump, with  the other 40% distributed on either side of that bump.

Archived