where have all the smart, nice members gone ?

rumak

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

46 minutes ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Get onto one of the other Thai expat sites and see what kind of reputation TV has earned. Just might account for that exodus.

That reputation has been there for almost as long as Thaivisa has been around - when that place which can't be mentioned first opened in 2006 (?), Thaivisa's reputation was already established.

3 minutes ago, Zooheekock said:

That it's a terrible forum which nobody in their right mind would post on. Also, moderation.

And without moderation, you just get people yelling mindless abuse at each other .

A few posters who have a grudge against each other , just insulting each other, day in day out

1 minute ago, Zooheekock said:

You asked about the opinions of TV - go to one of the other forums and there is pretty much total unanimity of opinion on this. But if it doesn't bother you, good for you. You've obviously found a natural home.

The other Thai forums that I have seen are made up of posters who got banned from TV for being abusive , its quite funny to watch them complaining.

"Why did those ********'s from TV ban me, I did f**** all , they are just a bunch of ****** . that Mod there hates me hes a ****** and he dont like me and he just banned me for telling him to f**** off"

It just depends what kind of restrictions one can easily tolerate. I like to be able to tell <deleted> idiots that they are <deleted> idiots and I resent being preached to by pious imbeciles (one reason why I very rarely post here is that whenever I do, I always seem to end up getting a ban of some kind). On the other hand, those who prefer a more Sunday school atmosphere, will find Thaivisa more to their liking. Such is life. You pays yer money....

Edit: See. I can't even use standard English without incurring the wrath of the auto-moderator. Sigh.

9 minutes ago, Zooheekock said:

It just depends what kind of restrictions one can easily tolerate. I like to be able to tell <deleted> idiots that they are <deleted> idiots and I resent being preached to by pious imbeciles (one reason why I very rarely post here is that whenever I do, I always seem to end up getting a ban of some kind). On the other hand, those who prefer a more Sunday school atmosphere, will find Thaivisa more to their liking. Such is life. You pays yer money....

Edit: See. I can't even use standard English without incurring the wrath of the auto-moderator. Sigh.

More like, you cannot talk to people without being abusive ?

1 minute ago, Zooheekock said:

No, it's not more like that. Though your inability to read and understand a remarkably simple post is of course germane to the (implicit) topic of why people who don't post on Thaivisa have such a low opinion of the forum.

I did assume that the deleted words were abusive swear words , maybe I was wrong as you dont seem to be the argumentative abusive type.......................

Of course they were swear words. But the fact that I included a '<deleted>' in my post doesn't mean that I 'cannot talk to people without being abusive'. That's a ludicrously stupid thing to say, though, as I said, it's par for the course on this forum and it's one of the things which many many people (including obviously enough me) find unbearable about Thaivisa. The forum still has some utility as a place to get information (my reason for logging in yesterday) but as far as anything beyond that goes, the place rapidly becomes about as appealing as infection with rabies.

I like to come on this forum for a bit of banter and sometimes I'll lend myself to certain topics that may require a serious view point. 

I like to take have a scan around and see who is still knocking about.

I like the news features they are in line with thai news channels so it helps keep upto date.

I like visa advice and info from BritTim 

I cringe when reading anything by inspire pattaya (apart from that one guest author who explained logically why Russians cannot queue)

I never wonder where the intelligent people go though.

14 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

...and your business contacts won't cut you off because you said something mean about Justin Bieber.

If that's the case, you need to find a new business.

One of the sad things about living in Thailand is that so many great events come and go and we as a community only hear about them after they're over.  If at all.

I lament the loss of great information here on TVF, because it's just not worth posting about an upcoming event or some other useful information I've picked up just to have the trolls come out from under their rocks and bash me for enjoying what I enjoy, or punctuating my sentences the way I punctuate, or just for consuming my share of Thailand's oxygen- which seems to be an existential threat to some of the posters on here when someone they disagree with, or who dresses or who acts differently does it.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Forums get quite repetitive after a while, the same people giving their same opinion day in day out .

Just wait 5 years and the old ones drop off and new ones join.

But life tends to be repetitive. They keep having those nye,  xmas, easter and songkran things every year. Can't they think of anything new?

1 hour ago, Zooheekock said:

That it's a terrible forum which nobody in their right mind would post on. Also, moderation.

Which forums are better?

I've been looking and can't find a better one. The travel info on here is better than on the travel forums. There's another expat forum and it is endless abuse and just showing off crappy photos.

Thanks all for the input.   As usual there were a number of posters who turned on each other :shock1:

But to my surprise i think only one or two who made a snide remark about me .  I think the posts

about the general content on TV were pretty accurate.  I guess its pretty hard to find new and interesting

topics.....and even those often turn into personal crusades for some.  

I will try to stay positive....and as one member suggested:  toughen up my skin.

till next time.   Rumak

16 minutes ago, rumak said:

But to my surprise i think only one or two who made a snide remark about me .  I think the posts

about the general content on TV were pretty accurate.  I guess its pretty hard to find new and interesting

topics..

Thats just life in general really and I didnt mean it in a condescending way about TV.

I quite often go to bars and have the same discussion with the same people day after day .

3 hours ago, Justfine said:

Which forums are better?

Now, none. Which is just to say that they're all equally dire and equally bereft of anything attractive, though that obviously wasn't the case in the past, when the ประตูไม้สัก was by far the most interesting. Other than when I need to hunt out some particular bit of information, I no longer post on any (this 24-hour foray into Thaivisa was prompted by a query about passports.)

41 minutes ago, Zooheekock said:

Now, none. Which is just to say that they're all equally dire and equally bereft of anything attractive, though that obviously wasn't the case in the past, when the ประตูไม้สัก was by far the most interesting. Other than when I need to hunt out some particular bit of information, I no longer post on any (this 24-hour foray into Thaivisa was prompted by a query about passports.)

Before you knew little and they were fresh. Now it's like Rocky reruns.

No. Up to the period around the death of DD, the other place attracted a fairly diverse and interesting crowd. There were (at least moderately) well-informed, lively arguments about Thai politics, which I enjoyed, and a large range of other threads on Thai/SE Asian-related life which were well worth reading and participating in. There were of course, a large number of idiots there but the forum had a clear direction and character and sensible, adult (i.e. light) moderation which made participation generally worthwhile. Unfortunately, almost all of the good posters have left or been pushed out, and it's now not even a shadow of what it was only a few years ago. As for Thaivisa, it's always been somewhere to steer clear of, unless you need to know where to get colour photocopies in Lopburi, in which case, it's an unequalled resource.

2 hours ago, Zooheekock said:

As for Thaivisa, it's always been somewhere to steer clear of

So why are you reading and posting on this forum/site/topic?

The above is just typical of the many pointless comments and posts which drive people away from what should be informative and positive forums/sites.

3 hours ago, Zooheekock said:

Which forums are better?

I thought this was about the TV Forum.

There is little point in making vague un-attributable references to sites you cannot mention on THIS forum and then try and compare them/whatever.

I know I am not a MOD but by any chance can we get back on subject as we know we cannot talk/discuss about other sites (quite rightly).  Lets stick to the point(s) please!

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, sanemax said:

Anonymous forums seem to be a thing of the past though .

Just part of the naturally evolving internet , began with E-mail groups , message boards, forums and now its facebook and twitter

Given that they spy on everything one posts to sell to advertisers I won't use facebonk and tw-tter is rubbish- just look who posts on it.

I think we know why TVF membership is falling. It's just not, IMO, as interesting now as it used to be- haven't seen a good ladyboy thread for ages. Still an excellent resource on the technical subforums though.

When forums don't cater to what the membership wants, they lose them- simple.

I used to post extensively on a travel forum, but owner changed, moderators became very PC and it just stopped being fun, so most of the membership abandoned it. Still going, but hardly any regular posters on it now and very boring. Pity, as it used to help a lot of people.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given that they spy on everything one posts to sell to advertisers I won't use facebonk and tw-tter is rubbish- just look who posts on it.

I use a fake name, and a one time email account to register on FBook. Get zero feedback from anyone, anywhere, any time. And only have it to talk to my son, who does not do email. So 1900's he says.

Archived