Bagels

clokwise

Both Tops and Rimping often have both whole wheat and plain bagels for sale. Not always, but often enough. These are a distant cousin to the bagels found in NYC and LA, but tasty enough when covered with Philadelphia brand Cream Cheese and Smoked Salmon.

There are no 'authentic' bagels available in CM if you're comparing them to what you can get in NYC- not even close.  There are soft bread rolls with a hole in them pretending to be bagels, and tasteless hockey pucks  on display at local markets that look like the real thing but don't compare in taste in texture.  It's the same with pizza claiming to be NYC-style (though at least there are decent local choices in other styles in that regard- with bagels, there aren't any that I've found that are worth eating, and I've tried many).

Bagel House is okay in a pinch.  I thought they were better at their original location near Wat Chedi Luang.  Not sure why the recipe went South.

The bakery in Pai if it's the one with the Muslim owners does very decent baked goods.  A little pricey but worth it.  That one is just past the BKK bank on the left traveling down the main night bazaar street from the red light intersection.   Or across from the only place there that seems to sell the BKK Post.

I don't agree with Shoeless Joe in that a good bakery in Pai cannot qualify as being in the CM area.  It might be worth a getaway to Pai just to check out for some folks.  I'm happy to travel 3 hours in any direction from the moat to get something worth tasting that I can't find locally here.   I often drive to Mai Tang for lunch just to get great Moo Dang.   

Most bagels in Thailand look like bagels but taste anything but.  And I just confirmed with Google Maps that the drive to Pai to get the decent bagels in shorter than the one the one to NYC (depending on traffic).

Most people don't have ovens in Thailand but homemade bagels are very easy to make and taste great using any NY Style Bagel recipe.  

The Pai bakery might sell chocolate tea pots but I haven't seen them yet.  Pai is a 'melting' pot of different cultures.

Years ago The Bagel Cafe had the best ones in CM.  The owner has since moved on to more adventurous dining fare which is also excellent.